• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Coronavirus

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
With data gathered it seems that yesterday's global record was +142 000 of known new cases. However we are already at 122 000 for today, so this will be close again since still some things are missing. While Brazil can throw into the mix another 10 000 to 15 000 at any time.

Random detail: from the numbers it seems that Puerto Rico has about 10 to 30 times worst testing than the rest of the country.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The article I posted by an epidemiologist says that COVID-19 is behaving as an influenza virus coming off of this first wave, and these waves have a history of having declining numbers during various pandemics regardless of season when it begins. This is only my thought, but it sounds like the decline of the first wave has to do with the genetics of the virus itself and not external conditions. Based on the article, this implies there will be a stronger second wave likely peaking in October with possibly ten times the impact just like the Spanish Influenza.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
The article I posted by an epidemiologist says that COVID-19 is behaving as an influenza virus coming off of this first wave, and these waves have a history of having declining numbers during various pandemics regardless of season when it begins. This is only my thought, but it sounds like the decline of the first wave has to do with the genetics of the virus itself and not external conditions. Based on the article, this implies there will be a stronger second wave likely peaking in October with possibly ten times the impact just like the Spanish Influenza.

First of all most of the world didn't get out of the first wave. So in practice this would mostly be just worsening of first wave.

The second problem is that we today have much better organizational tools and measures than a hundred years ago. Therefore if things start to worsen counter-measures will be in the field right away. So if people don't get too wild and move all over the place there will not be a second wave. Since unlike 100 years ago you can test people, you can quickly seal off regions and borders that are problematic, you can quickly spread information etc. Here the inflow of new cases basically stopped some 3 weeks ago and only 100 people died in the whole first wave, what is nothing in the big picture. What was because the virus was deliberately slammed with counter-measures right from the start (when it was most vulnerable since it didn't have the time to spread). Plus now we are smarter in the terms of data, so now we can use more scalpel like measures than hammer like, to minimize the damage. Therefore because of this we can end the second wave just as we did the first (or perhaps in even smoother fashion)

However people globally must understand that this is fundamentally a war in the most literal sense of the word. Therefore everyone in the battle zone area where the fight is going on has to do what is necessary to win this conflict as quickly as possible. Since the longer this goes on the more damage, drama and distractions there will be. The whole problem happened in the first place only because certain governments and individuals didn't take this seriously. What means there will not be any significant second wave if that is fixed. However the key is in law enforcement through the measures of physical distancing, mixed with proper management of economy. While medical talk is secondary since there is no real cure. Plus if the virus gets more dangerous through the mutation then especially this is the main counter-measure until vaccines arrive. Plus if they fail due to mutations this will again be the most effective set of tools before everything goes to hell.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My town was without new cases for a while when all of a sudden 13 Eastern European construction workers (all migrant workers living in close quarters) tested positive. They and 40 contacts are quarantined. I hope they found everybody as it was a soothing thought ti know the town was practically corona-free. This is what happens when you treat people like cattle, I guess.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
My town was without new cases for a while when all of a sudden 13 Eastern European construction workers (all migrant workers living in close quarters) tested positive. They and 40 contacts are quarantined. I hope they found everybody as it was a soothing thought ti know the town was practically corona-free. This is what happens when you treat people like cattle, I guess.

Is it known exactly from where they are from ? (and were they home recently)

Here the whole place is rated as basically corona free but there seems to be a case of two in infected workers that came home from abroad with the virus. While in the Southern Balkans there is currently explosion of cases where some countries went from a single to triple digits quickly. But it seem that authorities are sorting this out before it gets out of hand.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is it known exactly from where they are from ? (and were they home recently)

Here the whole place is rated as basically corona free but there seems to be a case of two in infected workers that came home from abroad with the virus. While in the Southern Balkans there is currently explosion of cases where some countries went from a single to triple digits quickly. But it seem that authorities are sorting this out before it gets out of hand.

It only said "Eastern European construction workers" on the city website, sorry.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Today we are again at +115 000 globally. What will grow until new 24 hours start soon. What will again be around 125 000 in new cases at least.
For 3 weeks we didn't have bellow 100 000 a day, therefore this is obviously the new normal.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
It only said "Eastern European construction workers" on the city website, sorry.

It's ok.
I was just curious and they are probably from all over the place rather than a single one. However the real problem are the ones that are positive but not tested. Therefore in this particular case the unknown part of the story is over and now they "just" have to survive the disease/virus.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Btw it seems that UK is finally after a long time starting to drop into triple digits instead of quadruple ones in new cases.

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
I think you mentioned that your partner and family work as scientists in relationship to the pandemic? I know you have posted helpful data, so I'll pose this question to you or whoever else might have input.

What do you make of the numbers of those tested or died of COVID-19? I saw a research that said the numbers confirmed may be 6% of total infections. Can we tell if numbers are going up or down? They say they are going down in my state because the percentage of positive cases within all tested are going down. That would be hopeful in light of all these gatherings, but I feel uneasy about the numbers. Are all demographics getting tested? Are people who refuse to believe in the virus unlikely to go for testing unless they ne ced a ventilator? Is the number of people dying from COVID-19 accurate? There is another article that says the overall numbers of deaths are up and some of those could actually be COVID-19.

I can see how easily those numbers could be adjusted based on contextual factors, so there is a way I feel like I can't tell what is actually going on with numbers infected. What is your take on that?

I'm not an expert, so I'm not comfortable providing any definitive guidance. I can provide you with my thoughts as a statistically literate professional. Also, I'll be happy to forward along any non-privileged information shared with me by my family. My fiancée is a scientist studying the prevalence of COVID-19 in the San Francisco Bay Area (see below), so that might prove interesting.

Stanford teams with UCSF, Chan Zuckerberg Biohub to study prevalence of COVID-19 in San Francisco Bay Area | Stanford News

What do you make of the numbers of those tested or died of COVID-19?

Both the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases and number of confirmed COVID-19 deaths are certainly lower than the the actual number of infections and deaths. The former is self-evident. The latter can be substantiated by comparing the absolute number of deaths year-to-date in 2020 with prior-year numbers (deaths with incidental COVID-19 infection would not skew this comparison).

The interesting metrics derived from these numbers, e.g. prevalence and infection-fatality-rate, are going to be preliminary estimates at best. But even with preliminary estimates one can derive a range of uncertainty around them which will tell us something. I would encourage you to find a few primary sources and periodically follow up with them going forward. Forget media outlets and secondary reports.

I saw a research that said the numbers confirmed may be 6% of total infections.

Yes, as of the date of the underlying analysis (March 17th) it was reasonable to assume that a large number of infections were not yet identified. Testing regimes were in their infancy in most parts of the world. But that 6% figure would not be applicable in the United States. It was a relatively simple estimate that presupposed the underlying fatality rate (from Wuhan data, 1.38%) and applied it to the number of actual observed deaths in various regions. Using that same logic today, by dividing the current US death count of 120K by the assumed fatality rate of 1.38% we would estimate the actual number of cumulative infections to be 8.7M. Using that study's average time from onset to death of ~18 days, we can look to the total number of confirmed cases from 18 days ago to derive the detection rate: 1.8M / 8.7M ~ 21%. This would suggest that the official number of cases reported in the United States represents only 21% of the total number of infection, i.e. 4 in 5 infections go undetected.

Ultimately, this illustrates the relationship between the prevalence and the underlying infection-fatality rate, but does not provide us with any greater certainty as to the actual values of either number.

Can we tell if numbers are going up or down?

We can discern the trends in infections before the last week by looking at changes in the positive test rate, assuming that the number of tests performed and relevant protocols remain unchanged. We can more accurately discern the same trends from several weeks ago by looking at changes in the number of reported deaths. However, both are lagging indicators. Again, I would encourage you to identify a few trustworthy primary sources and stick with them. Many statistically literate and well-informed professionals are providing analyses of the data.

They say they are going down in my state because the percentage of positive cases within all tested are going down. That would be hopeful in light of all these gatherings, but I feel uneasy about the numbers.

I would look toward long-term public health officials (not political appointees) in your state to assess your risk.

Are all demographics getting tested? Are people who refuse to believe in the virus unlikely to go for testing unless they need a ventilator?

I don't know the answer to this. I was recently tested via nasal swab (wouldn't recommend) because I had to undergo a medical procedure and it was mandatory. There are certain activities that require testing (medical procedures, certain travel, etc.) and so anybody wishing to engage in those activities would have to consent to being tested. I can also personally attest to several acquaintances experiencing symptoms who did not get tested or who were refused testing, though in each case those people self-quarantined.

Is the number of people dying from COVID-19 accurate? There is another article that says the overall numbers of deaths are up and some of those could actually be COVID-19

It depends on what you mean by accurate. As I said previously and as your linked article suggests, the number of confirmed COVID-19 deaths is likely lower than the actual number. But the conclusions you or I would generally draw from the available information shouldn't substantially change. What is beyond doubt is the substantially higher risk the virus poses to the elderly and otherwise infirm. People who are young and fit and healthy have less to worry about (in terms of risk of their own death), but could still get very sick and would pose a risk to the lives of those around them.

I personally would not participate in large group gatherings. I'm continuing to work from home, and I have my groceries delivered to my home. I wear a mask every time I leave the house. I avoid touching my face when I'm out, and wash my hands when I return home.

I can see how easily those numbers could be adjusted based on contextual factors, so there is a way I feel like I can't tell what is actually going on with numbers infected. What is your take on that?

I think your degree of uncertainty is appropriate given the circumstances. The data is very contextual. Again, I would encourage you look to a few trustworthy professionals to help you interpret the relevant information. Ignore media reports.

I hope this is helpful.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
After 3 weeks of being corona-free New Zealand now has two new cases (imported from the UK).

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
After 3 weeks of being corona-free New Zealand now has two new cases (imported from the UK).

Same for Montenegro that was also corona free, but I am not sure for where they imported the virus. What only proves that the whole world must defeat the pandemic, since the virus simply doesn't care about our own rules, conventions and values. This is why I said this is fundamentally a war, because this in the end is literally us vs. "them". This virus is simply too disruptive for the whole world order to be allowed to gain serious ground anywhere.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Random numbers:

It is kinda ironic or faithful that in what will be some of the key swing states in 2020 the pandemic is the worst in therms of new cases. Like Arizona or Florida (this is the worst day in Florida thus far in the terms of new cases) Plus this could spill the glass in Texas if things get out of control (also the worst day thus far towards the worldometer).

Globally:
Uk is again in 4 digit numbers.
India 2000 deaths.
Poland is slowly but surely turning into a problem.
Qatar evidently had the most known cases per capita (almost 3% of the people tested positive at one point).
Hungary fell below thousand active known cases.
Australia only 400 left, 900 left in Japan.
Brunei is corona free.
World +121 000 for today, what will probably end around +130 000 for today.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's ok.
I was just curious and they are probably from all over the place rather than a single one. However the real problem are the ones that are positive but not tested. Therefore in this particular case the unknown part of the story is over and now they "just" have to survive the disease/virus.

I still don't know where they were from or what company they worked for. It wouldn't be unusual though for them to all be from the same town or village. They were living in containers directly on the construction site and supposedly didn't have much contact with local citizens. They are all doing well and spending quarantine in the containers except for two who had already left and could only be informed tgst they should selfisolate whereever they are now. The noninfected remaining workers where moved into single hotel rooms at tax payer cost to avoid further infections.