• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Coronavirus

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, this is disturbing:

US coronavirus survivor receives double lung transplant after virus leaves holes in lungs

Note: She’s in her 20s & was otherwise healthy before contracting Covid19.

But the economy.....

"BuT iT'S jUsT a VeRsIoN oF tHe fLu!!!"

Totally.

*Warning: Graphic*

One of the aforementioned transplant patient’s lungs:

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Totally.

*Warning: Graphic*

One of the aforementioned transplant patient’s lungs:

I wonder how long it will take before we gleam the permanent damage it does to the lungs of those who go on a ventilator and then recover. For example: how many years does it shave off the life of someone who got hospital sick? How much time for someone who gets not-quite-hospital sick? Does it leave anyone chronically easily exhausted (permanently reduced lung capacity from scarring)?

eta: Will it basically keep COPD (or something like it) amongst the highest causes of death for years to come, even though smoking is declining? How many people will end up lugging an oxygen tank around in their later years as a direct result of having had this?

Also, am I the only one stressing about what this young woman's hospital bill is going to be? Every time I read about how she's been in the hospital for two months (and on a ventilator, and that other machine to oxygenate blood), *in addition* to the 10 hour transplant surgery - even if she has good insurance, that bill is gonna su-u-uuuuuck.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Also, am I the only one stressing about what this young woman's hospital bill is going to be? Every time I read about how she's been in the hospital for two months (and on a ventilator, and that other machine to oxygenate blood), *in addition* to the 10 hour transplant surgery - even if she has good insurance, that bill is gonna su-u-uuuuuck.

I am curious: In your educated guess how costly this will be ? 5000, 15000, 50000, 150000 .... $ ?
What about without insurance ?

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am curious: In your educated guess how costly this will be ? 5000, 15000, 50000, 150000 .... $ ?
What about without insurance ?

I can't even guess. I mean, *sometimes* the hospital will waive the fee - and with so much publicity on this, I wouldn't be super surprised if that's what happens. But otherwise, if it were a quiet event and she had the same treatment, I can guarantee the 'no insurance' cost would be well over $500k. And insurance plans vary wildly, so I wouldn't begin to know how to guess that.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Are daily global deaths being a record as well?

No, deaths are about average if we take a look at all the days since the start. However new global upward trend started about 2 weeks ago and it is getting worse, but death usually occurs few weeks after symptoms start to show. Therefore it is logical that deaths are still average. Although 3rd world is talking more and more of the infected people percentage wise. Therefore it is questionable how much we can trust the data in this regard.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I can't even guess. I mean, *sometimes* the hospital will waive the fee - and with so much publicity on this, I wouldn't be super surprised if that's what happens. But otherwise, if it were a quiet event and she had the same treatment, I can guarantee the 'no insurance' cost would be well over $500k. And insurance plans vary wildly, so I wouldn't begin to know how to guess that.

This is all I really need as an answer. (way way way too much)

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

The co-pay on my (pretty average) insurance for hospitalization is 10 euros per day. Any treatment deemed medically necessary is automatically covered.

By law everybody must have insurance. You can choose between public or private providers. Premiums are income-dependent but capped.

Also, when you are under mandatory quarantine (due to a positive test) your employer has to keep paying your salary. Many insurances also cover a daily sickness allowance.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
The co-pay on my (pretty average) insurance for hospitalization is 10 euros per day. Any treatment deemed medically necessary is automatically covered.

By law everybody must have insurance. You can choose between public or private providers. Premiums are income-dependent but capped.

Also, when you are under mandatory quarantine (due to a positive test) your employer has to keep paying your salary. Many insurances also cover a daily sickness allowance.

To be honest I was thinking about typing something like this but I thought I would be a jerk for doing that. However I stand behind you in your claims, with exception that I don't have to pay even that 10 euros a day if I am not mistaken. But there is no allowance, at least not in this form.

Plus if we really want to throw cards around today we dropped into a single digit in known cases. (0 cases are critical at the moment)

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
To be honest I was thinking about typing something like this but I thought I would be a jerk for doing that. However I stand behind you in your claims, with exception that I don't have to pay even that 10 euros a day if I am not mistaken. But there is no allowance, at least not in this form.

Plus if we really want to throw cards around today we dropped into a single digit in known cases. (0 cases are critical at the moment)

Well, I had no intention of boasting, after all I am merely lucky to live here, the system isn't my personal accomplishment. But in view of the inner-American debates on healthcare I think an occasional outside perspective on what is feasable if there is political will can be useful.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Well, I had no intention of boasting, after all I am merely lucky to live here, the system isn't my personal accomplishment. But in view of the inner-American debates on healthcare I think an occasional outside perspective on what is feasable if there is political will can be useful.

Of course, but this is simply brutal as an argument. :D

(However I have done the same thing a number of times since there needs to be a reality check. My grand grandparents already had this kind of medical system)

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member

Obviously we don't know if she does or doesn't have insurance but even some plans even have coverage limits, so who knows. I can only imagine being that every single thing in a hospital has itemized charge, and over a two month period on a ventilator before the cost of the surgery, I can't imagine her total bill being less than $100,000.

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But in view of the inner-American debates on healthcare I think an occasional outside perspective on what is feasable if there is political will can be useful.

Yeah, exposure to what the reality is in other countries definitely helps. I think if more people here (in the U.S.) were more familiar with the way other countries handle health care, then universal healthcare wouldn't be such an unreachable, super-communist, "pie in the sky" radical pipe dream.

As has probably already been mentioned in this thread, a lot of people actually lost their insurance when the pandemic started (because they also lost their jobs).