Code of Conduct
1. Ground Rules For Participation In This Site
The Site is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice. Under no circumstances will we be liable for any loss or damage caused by your reliance on information obtained through the Site. It is your responsibility to evaluate the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any information, opinion, advice or other content available through the Site. Please seek the advice of professionals, as appropriate, regarding the evaluation of any specific information, opinion, advice or other content. Never disregard professional advice, including medical advice, or delay in seeking it, because of something you have read on this Site.
We make no representations or warranties whatsoever regarding the Site and any materials on the Site. NOTWITHSTANDING ANYTHING TO THE CONTRARY IN THESE TERMS OF SERVICE OR ELSEWHERE, THE SITE IS PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” BASIS. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, WE HEREBY DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF NON-INFRINGEMENT AND ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY. WE MAKE NO WARRANTY ABOUT THE ACCURACY, RELIABILITY, COMPLETENESS OR TIMELINESS OF THE SITE. WE MAKE NO WARRANTY THAT THE SITE’S SERVICE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, THE SITE’S FUNCTIONS SHALL BE ERROR-FREE OR, THAT THE SITE OR THE SERVERS THAT MAKE IT AVAILABLE ARE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS.
No advertising is allowed on the forum, whether for profit or not for profit. This includes advertising or soliciting participants for other internet forums or online communities.
3. Use of site content
All content on this site is the property of TypologyCentral and is protected by U.S. Copyright Laws. Site content is not to be downloaded and redistributed or reproduced in any way without the written permission of the site owner.
4. Duplicate accounts
If a member with no previous offenses is discovered to have multiple accounts, he or she will be asked to choose one and the others will be merged into the main account. If the merge results in a name change for the member, the change will be recorded in the Name Change Thread and will count towards the member's total allowable name changes. (If the member does not qualify for a name change, the merge will be automatically made to the original account name). Members with previous offenses (including previous duplicate accounts) who create duplicate accounts will be subject to a ban, the length of which will be decided on a case-by-case basis. In general, a duplicate account created to get around a ban of any length will result in the ban being extended and/or made permanent.
5. Provocative, Bullying, Hostile, and Trolling Behavior
Flaming, insults, provocative, and personal attacks are not allowed, including in reputation comments, private messages, visitor messages, Vent, Discord or social groups. This includes items such as the following:
- Instances where a member insults, attacks, or abuses, another member. Insults are defined as speaking or treating another with disrespect or scornful abuse. Examples of prohibited behavior include calling another names, putting them down, attacking another’s character, humiliating or affronting them, or posts that disparage, discredit, belittle, libel, slander, malign, defame, or denigrate another member.
- Apparent intents to enrage, disparage, or antagonize another user of the forum, especially repeated instances of such.
- Constant backbiting and/or aggressively confrontational posting.
- Threats of harm to any individual, groups of individuals or to this forum.
- Posting or communication that vilifies, degrades, attacks or incites prejudicial action against a person or group on the basis of race, gender, age, ethnicity, nationality, gender identity, disability, appearance, mental capacity or sexual orientation.
- Repeated instances of spamming, consistent off-topic posting or history of thread derailing.
Exception to the above: There is leeway for obvious jokes (where the other poster clearly acknowledges this).
In addition to specific posts, a poster's pattern of behavior related to all of the above will also be considered. This includes, for example, several low-level instances of the above over time, whether direct or indirect. The primary consideration will be the overall impact of the poster on other forum members.
Threats of violence made to forum members or to the public, depending on context and severity, can lead (and have led) to an immediate ban and contacting of local authorities. Please remember that, despite being an online community, we have a responsibility to report threats that we believe pose a plausible risk. Intentions are difficult to interpret online, and when necessary we will err on the side of caution to prevent harm to our membership and others.
No Causing a "State of Unrest." A State of Unrest is considered:
- A thread or post made with the intent of causing disorder and unrest throughout the forum. Orderly discussion of "forum politics" is fine.
- A thread or post containing insulting and/or aggressive attacks on specific groups.
- A post made to a thread of another topic about forum politics meant to cause digression into forum politics is also classified as trolling. If the post contains personal attacks on forum administrators and/or users, it is a flame.
- Multiple threads on the same problem at a time. A single thread called "Mods SuX0r5" with the issue of the day in the Feedback sub-forum is fine; a second thread is not. These unnecessary threads will be closed.
Lesser annoyances, such as repeated and/or sole posting of "fluff" posts may be moved at the mod's discretion; any such action will be clearly indicated at the time by the mod concerned, as are all moderating actions. For the purpose of posting at Typology Central, fluff is defined as:
8. Disallowed Content
- Consecutive posts topically unrelated to the original post (OP)
- Consecutive posts that lack the seriousness deemed necessary for the topic at hand
- Threads that single out members as their topic, i.e. birthday threads, baby announcements, etc.
- Threads created for the sole purpose of frivolous socializing
There is no censorship of ideas, no matter how distasteful, apart from the obvious. The following are explicitly not allowed:
- Advice or offers of therapy related to mental health issues
- Links to porn (this includes inserting an image or video that originates from a pornographic site or other types of images involving nudity)
- Offensive, violent, or gory images
- Illegal software links
- Links that don't follow the conversation at hand
- Continual gratuitous vulgarity in posts
- Hard obscenities or mocking/insulting other members in repeatable elements such as custom user titles, avatars, signatures, and thread titles
Posts like these may be edited or deleted by a moderator. Members with offensive custom user titles or signatures may be given a warning.
9. Signatures, Avatars and Custom User Titles
Overly large signatures or signatures with animation are not allowed. Avatars, signatures and custom user titles should be in good taste, shall not contain distracting animation or contain profanities. Avatars or signatures that are deemed to not be in good taste or otherwise distracting will be removed. The member may be asked to remove content that doesn't comply with this policy or it may be removed at madim discretion.
10. Common Sense
Members should stick to the same rules of social intercourse as in a social setting. Screaming or starting fights will not be allowed. The mods and admins will use their best judgment to enforce the rules on a case by case basis.
1. Name Changes
Information about Name Changes can be found in this thread.
2. Post Count
Spamming for the sake of reaching a post count milestone may be subject to removal and/or mod action.
3. Posts and Account Deletion
- 25 posts: Users may request access to Ventrilo voice/text chat.
- 50 posts: Users gain access to "The Lounge" subforum which contains member pictures and videos.
- 500 posts: Users gain access to the "Private Blogs" subforum which contains user blogs. Custom user-titles become available and may be changed at will.
We do not delete accounts or mass delete posts. If you choose to leave the forum your posts will stay behind. Exceptions can be made for personal blog threads.
4. PMs, IMs, and Privacy
Private communications (including but not limited to Private Messages) are not to be posted on the open forum, Ventrillo or HipChat without the permission of the sender; this includes PMs from mods and admins. Posting private communication may result in at least a warning. Mods can not read your PMs. Reputation comments and logs from IM/Ventrilo chat sessions should not be posted without the permission of all participants.
This forum caters to all sexes and ages and is intended to be a "work safe" site. In order to preserve the integrity of forum content, we do not allow the posting of pornographic or NSFW (not safe for work) material anywhere in this forum. This includes reputation comments, social groups, visitor messages, and forum threads (including those in the Graveyard or Sexuality & Mature Topics). Pornographic material will be removed by moderators and administrators as soon as it comes to our attention. "Pornographic material" includes (but is not limited to) pictures, links, or urls of genitalia, penetration, and animated characters engaged in sexual acts. Posting such material results in an automatic infraction. Additionally, because exposed female nipples (though not necessarily pornographic) are generally considered NSFW, images that contain exposed female nipples will be removed but are not necessarily subject to an automatic infraction unless the material is obviously sexual in nature or the user has been repeatedly warned about this.
6. Sexual Harassment
There is zero tolerance for sexual harassment on the public forum, social groups, private messages, reputation comments, and visitor messages regardless of sex and/or gender of the harasser. This is a difficult issue to navigate because it's hard enough to distinguish wanted and unwanted advances in real life, let online through internet communication. Please report if communication between you and another member is veering in this direction. We can't do anything about what we don't know about.
7. Politics and Religion
We encourage civil discourse and debate when discussing heated issues, particularly in the fields of politics and religion. Occasionally, discourse becomes increasingly heated and volatile, especially when dealing with hot button topics. Members are expected to maintain respect for other posters or voluntarily withdraw until they cool down. If a member becomes too raucous or disrespectful (as determined by madmins) he/she may be temporarily or permanently banned from participation in that particular thread. An infraction or warning may issue depending on the gravity of the offense.
8. Posting other People's Material
Do not post full articles/content from other authors and website without the permission of the content owner. Information copyrighted or owned by any individual or entity other than the member should not be posted on the discussion forums without the consent of the owner. If such an event occurs, the individual posting the information shall be held solely responsible. TypologyCentral shall not be held responsible for member-posted information that may violate copyright law. You cannot legally post entire articles or news in the forum without permission from the copyright holder. Even if you attribute the article correctly it’s still copyright infringement. Copyright law does not care if you make any money off of the work or not - what matters is if you hurt the potential income of the copyright holder. Under Fair Use provisions you can legally post a small abstract of an article - or perhaps the opening paragraph. If you are not sure if you can copy something then always err on the side of caution and simply post a link to the material.
9. Warnings, Infractions, Bans and Other Disciplinary Measures
Using the Report Post function (anyone can report a post, PM or visitor message) will bring a questionable post/message/PM to madmin attention, preserving the original content. The madmin team will discuss whether or not the reported item requires any action and may employ a number of different potential actions which will be determined on a case by case basis, such as but not limited to:
- Becoming involved in a thread and nudging things back on track
- Moving posts to the Off-Topic Posts thread in the Graveyard
- Removing problematic content
- Sending a PM or rep to the member
- Warning a member
- Infracting a member
- Banning a member from a thread
- Confining a member to the graveyard
- Moving a member to a no posting or limited posting usergroup
- Closing a thread
- Issuing a temporary ban or a permanent ban
If a member receives two infractions in a six-month period, it will result in an automatic temporary ban, with the length being determined on a case-by-case basis. These bans tend to be from one week to one month though longer durations may occur depending on the persistence and/or severity of issues. In the cases of bullying, hostility and over-aggressiveness towards fellow members, a member may be subject to an immediate temporary ("cool-off") ban in length from twenty-four hours to two weeks without warning. Permanent bans are given if there is a belief via madmin consensus that rehabilitation is not possible or issues are so egregious that forum leadership has determined the member should no longer be associated with the forum. Banned and confined members are listed in the Banned and the Damned Thread in the Policy and Announcements subforum.
This above are meant to convey typical actions taken. Specific circumstances may require mods to take atypical action and will be determined on a case-by-case basis
10. Complaining About Staff Decisions
Public complaints about staff decisions are disruptive to the forum and can derail active threads. Talking to staff through the approved channels enables us to deal with problems directly, with minimal issues.
All member feedback/criticism regarding specific mod actions or specific moderators must be made in private, either in a private feedback thread, report, or PM. The first two options are preferable, unless the issue involves misconduct by or sensitive information about a specific moderator. Discussion of general forum policy or procedures may continue to occur in public feedback. To illustrate the difference: asking "Why did I get a tempban" would need to be private, but suggesting "I would like to see more detail in tempban announcements" could be public as long as it remained general, without discussion of specific cases ("when Billy Bob was banned, all it said was _____.") Public questioning or complaints about mod decisions or specific moderators occurring outside of these guidelines will lead to disciplinary action.
The providers ("we", "us", "our") of the service provided by this web site ("Service") are not responsible for any user-generated content and accounts. Content submitted express the views of their author only.
This Service is only available to users who are at least 13 years old. If you are younger than this, please do not register for this Service. If you register for this Service, you represent that you are this age or older.
All content you submit, upload, or otherwise make available to the Service ("Content") may be reviewed by staff members. All Content you submit or upload may be sent to third-party verification services (including, but not limited to, spam prevention services). Do not submit any Content that you consider to be private or confidential.
You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content, contains personal information of others, risks copyright infringement, encourages unlawful activity, or otherwise violates any laws. You are entirely responsible for the content of, and any harm resulting from, that Content or your conduct.
We may remove or modify any Content submitted at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice. Requests for Content to be removed or modified will be undertaken only at our discretion. We may terminate your access to all or any part of the Service at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice.
You are granting us with a non-exclusive, permanent, irrevocable, unlimited license to use, publish, or re-publish your Content in connection with the Service. You retain copyright over the Content.
These terms may be changed at any time without notice.
If you do not agree with these terms, please do not register or use the Service. Use of the Service constitutes acceptance of these terms. If you wish to close your account, please contact us.