• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Coronavirus

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
That is so foolish. Theaters seem a very high risk place, especially if people start laughing. Yet another reason this should be the summer of drive in theaters. :dont:

If this brings back drive ins (which should have never went away to begin with) I would go to the moves much more often.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
AMC won't require face masks when theaters reopen to avoid 'political controversy' - Business Insider

A pandemic isn’t political. Taking precautions to reduce the transmission of infectious disease isn’t political. That’s utter crap. I suspect they just want to make sure patrons will buy popcorn & soft drinks, so they can make enough money to scrape by/stay open. :dont:

The pandemic isn't political but much like everything in this country it's being politicized. I just don't see the logic behind the ideology that somehow a virus with a very high rate of transmission is somehow going to recognize "muh freedumbs" and not infect you because wearing a mask would infringe upon that in their minds. Furthermore, even if they don't care to be apart of the political controversy surrounding the masks, they should at least care about trying to cultivate the safest possible viewing experience for those that choose to attend theaters in these times, and how masks are conducive to that goal.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's fucking great. Our local drive-in has just been running 80s movies double features every weekend. I'm in heaven, watching movies on the big screen I never got to see that way. It is a bit like watching them for the first time. This drive-in goes all out and plays old school ads before and between the films. And they pipe 80s music through the sound system between movies too. There's a communal party feel, it becomes an event, people bringing their chairs and basically sitting outside the entire night. Far more enjoyable than going to a mall movie theatre.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That^ sounds amazing. (I'm not being facetious, that actually sounds like a lot of fun).

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I hope today Brazil is simply early with final numbers, otherwise this could be +50 000. ( +26 300 thus far)

Also
Florida +3800
Arizona +3200
USA +17900

Chile +6300
Pakistan +8400
Mexico +5600
Ukraine +900
Saudi Arabia +4300
Bangladesh +3200
Indonesia +1000
Iraq +1600
Iran +2600
India +14700
Russia +7900
UK +1300

Etc.
There are elements for another record.

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
QtfVxlA.png

Here's a regression of recent COVID data. I took the total number of new cases per million residents over the past week, by state, and regressed it on the following:

1. Total number of tests per million residents
  2. Total number of cases per million residents
  3. Total number of deaths per million residents
  4. A "Republican Lean" flag that takes on the value of 1 if the state leans Republican according to the Cook Partisan Voting Index, 0 otherwise.

The important thing to note is that the partisan lean is the only statistically significant variable in the model (see P-value = 0.003136218). The lower the P-value, the more significant the explanatory variable.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
Also, my roommate said this was circulating on social media the other day:

CawRcjO.jpg

If you’re high risk for complications, I would recommend staying home on the 20th, if you can.

This is pure stupidity.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The pandemic isn't political but much like everything in this country it's being politicized. I just don't see the logic behind the ideology that somehow a virus with a very high rate of transmission is somehow going to recognize "muh freedumbs" and not infect you because wearing a mask would infringe upon that in their minds. Furthermore, even if they don't care to be apart of the political controversy surrounding the masks, they should at least care about trying to cultivate the safest possible viewing experience for those that choose to attend theaters in these times, and how masks are conducive to that goal.

After drawing political controversy, AMC has decided to require masks:

AMC Theaters Will Now Require Guests To Wear Masks When It Reopens : Coronavirus Live Updates : NPR

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I hope today Brazil is simply early with final numbers, otherwise this could be +50 000. ( +26 300 thus far)

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case, Brazil + 49 500.
The largest daily growth for any country since the start of the pandemic. (and the day isn't even fully over)

What also brakes the world's daily record: +164 500 and counting.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Btw it also says +30 000 for US, the worst day in month and half.

For everybody it would be better that all these numbers are simply fake. I am thinking about stop posting this stuff.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

For everybody it would be better that all these numbers are simply fake. I am thinking about stop posting this stuff.

It would. But they're not. And there will be another post about how the US isn't a failed state, even though it is, rinse, repeat....

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram

Please dont, its informative.
There is some contradiction on local media.
Local media is spreading that the transmission rates are dropping rapidly. Yet you say that the number of infected are getting the highest. Daily deaths seems to be dropping.

Everything is almost already open here. Only like 20-30% of population are on quarantine.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As it turns out about 700 workers (mostly Romanian and Bulgarian, due to the terrible working and housing conditions) at the meat plant got infected. The entire company is quarantined including management. Schools etc in the surrounding town had to close again. The entire country is pissed at the corporate management.

As a result of this German numbers are drastically up, proportionally speaking. I really hope these outbreaks remain local and manageable. By now most of them are in places where the socially weakest (migrant workers, unemployed, refugees, etc) are living far too close together in precarious conditions. In a childishly optimistic szenario this would lead to stricter implementation of housing guidelines and longterm improvements. *Sigh* A girl can still dream...

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
It would. But they're not. And there will be another post about how the US isn't a failed state, even though it is, rinse, repeat....

I honestly think that failed state is still too much as a stamp. But the trend is indeed towards failed state and there this status is no more than a few years away. Although some local parts of US are in the state of a failed state. Failed state requires mass social collapse and a few other things that aren't there yet. Therefore if people realize that they have to throw out partisan politics and general stupidity you can still salvage the situation.

Please dont, its informative.
There is some contradiction on local media.
Local media is spreading that the transmission rates are dropping rapidly. Yet you say that the number of infected are getting the highest. Daily deaths seems to be dropping.

Everything is almost already open here. Only like 20-30% of population are on quarantine.

Well I am finding the pandemic to be the most important story of the day/era. However in doing so I am pushing numbers into the people's face, but I recognize that not everyone has a thick skin such as mine.

Anyway the new global record is +181 000, 35 000 more than the previous one. Plus the deaths are also starting to creep up, since they generally lag about a few weeks behind infections.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I honestly think that failed state is still too much as a stamp. But the trend is indeed towards failed state and there this status is no more than a few years away. Although some local parts of US are in the state of a failed state. Failed state requires mass social collapse and a few other things that aren't there yet. Therefore if people realize that they have to throw out partisan politics and general stupidity you can still salvage the situation.

Well I am finding the pandemic to be the most important story of the day/era. However in doing so I am pushing numbers into the people's face, but I recognize that not everyone has a thick skin such as mine.

Anyway the new global record is +181 000, 35 000 more than the previous one. Plus the deaths are also starting to creep up, since they generally lag about a few weeks behind infections.

Ok, a teen aged failed state then.

Meanwhile the - COVID Rights Matter! chuds are gathering mask free because - muh rights.

Tulsa rally: Trump tempts fate during pandemic while threatening protesters - CNNPolitics

I've been to several protests, I have yet to see a person minus mask at one.

It doesn’t look like the George Floyd protests are causing a COVID-19 spike.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I doubt posting the numbers is upsetting anyone who pays attention to the thread (and having the numbers posted is useful). If lack of response makes it feel like others don't want the numbers posted, maybe it would help to know that it's probably more about fatigue and just not having much to say about it (that hasn't already been said routinely the first couple months).

Meanwhile the - COVID Rights Matter! chuds are gathering mask free because - muh rights.

Tulsa rally: Trump tempts fate during pandemic while threatening protesters - CNNPolitics

Honestly, though it's unfair to essential and medical workers who will be effected by someone else's shitty choice (which could be *a lot*, I don't mean to minimize it - just one rally goer working in long term care facility can take out a lot of people), it seems like these people need to directly experience loss to believe there's a threat and I can't think of a more appropriate crowd to get thrown into that Petri dish. I just hope they're tracing well enough now to place the rally as the source of all consequent infections.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I doubt posting the numbers is upsetting anyone who pays attention to the thread (and having the numbers posted is useful). If lack of response makes it feel like others don't want the numbers posted, maybe it would help to know that it's probably more about fatigue and just not having much to say about it (that hasn't already been said routinely the first couple months).

Honestly, though it's unfair to essential and medical workers who will be effected by someone else's shitty choice (which could be *a lot*, I don't mean to minimize it - just one rally goer working in long term care facility can take out a lot of people), it seems like these people need to directly experience loss to believe there's a threat and I can't think of a more appropriate crowd to get thrown into that Petri dish. I just hope they're tracing well enough now to place the rally as the source of all consequent infections.

The contact tracers are getting death threats.

Coronavirus Contact Tracers Face Death Threats And Conspiracies Online

It's also been unfair to the front line medical staff since the beginning. I think it was mentioned here that the US health system never got overwhelmed. It is now.

Southern Arizona hospitals approaching ICU bed capacity from COVID-19

But the idea of being this coddled, this fragile, and having so much hate for others that you refuse to wear a mask? Death is not going to deter these people, not of friends or family. I saw a guy this morning telling a reporter that he had a friend that dies, his son was on a ventilator. He's loud and proud mask free MAGA.

I use to think this mattered - it doesn't to Trump supporters. They see no future for themselves so they're just helping it along. Which makes me wonder what they're going on about jobs and the economy for.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Maybe if all of the toxic partisan hacks corked their division-generating vitriol for 5 seconds, we could go from the current two moronic approaches- "shut down the economy!/Never wear masks!"- into an actual compromise that would be incredibly effective (that because of said toxic partisan hacks, nobody is allowed to talk about):

Completely open the economy with aggressive mitigation measures!

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
Virtual Ghost said:

I just agree with [MENTION=7842]Z Buck McFate[/MENTION]
Z Buck McFate said:

Perhaps the ones to be upset are the proud mask free folks that [MENTION=4050]ceecee[/MENTION] mentions about it, however these guys are a mix of irresponsibility and stupidity (sorry its the reality), so they dont count.
As I said, its informative and as you said, it is a very important history event.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm

Of course it is useful knowing where the things are going. However almost all people can mostly only observe what is going on and do their own part. In real life most find me dark and relentless. So I give people some space from time to time.

Anyway:

India + 15900 (record)
South Africa +5000 (record)
Florida +4050 (record)
Iraq +1800 (record)
Bolivia 970 (record)
Dominican republic +710 (record)
Guatemala +640 (record)
Azerbaijan +470 (record)
Kyrgyzstan +192 (record)

As I said, its informative and as you said, it is a very important history event.

Well if we globally continue like this could surpass ww2, since this will fundamentally remake many of the world's balances. Therefore this could turn out to be major historical turning point for everybody.