• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Coronavirus

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

A new bird?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

A tragic tale of how someone has suffered under lockdowns (which Florida and Texas have proven are NOT NECESSARY).

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

A new bird?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
"We're going to win so much that you're going to be sick and tired. "

Well, he got part of that right.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
I honestly don't get the mask bitching, and I wear them. Yeah a lot of people don't wear them or wear them halfassedly, but unless it's a legitimate respirator that fits perfectly enough to filter breath and not just blow out the top and bottom, how much good is it actually doing? Anybody who feels "safe" wearing one, or feels safe around other people wearing them for long periods of time, is kidding themselves. Especially considering the possibility that the virus might be straight up airborne, which would make masks mostly pointless.

Sometimes I wonder why the CDC doesn't suggest wearing proper N95s instead of being OK with the borderline useless cloth masks and bandanas I see everywhere, but then I remember that they are fine with lying to us (for our own good of course). I feel like it's become a crucifix to clutch of sorts for people- something ANYTHING to feel some way in control of the situation. People should wear them if they can, if for no other reason than to help others (and maybe themselves) feel better about things, but all the brow beating bitching and shaming people who don't wear them is just stupid. And not just because it isn't going to inspire anyone to wear one who already doesn't feel like it.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I honestly don't get the mask bitching, and I wear them. Yeah a lot of people don't wear them or wear them halfassedly, but unless it's a legitimate respirator that fits perfectly enough to filter breath and not just blow out the top and bottom, how much good is it actually doing? Anybody who feels "safe" wearing one, or feels safe around other people wearing them for long periods of time, is kidding themselves. Especially considering the possibility that the virus might be straight up airborne, which would make masks mostly pointless.

Sometimes I wonder why the CDC doesn't suggest wearing proper N95s instead of being OK with the borderline useless cloth masks and bandanas I see everywhere, but then I remember that they are fine with lying to us (for our own good of course). I feel like it's become a crucifix to clutch of sorts for people- something ANYTHING to feel some way in control of the situation. People should wear them if they can, if for no other reason than to help others (and maybe themselves) feel better about things, but all the brow beating bitching and shaming people who don't wear them is just stupid. And not just because it isn't going to inspire anyone to wear one who already doesn't feel like it.

I have N95s thankfully, & wish they were more available for everyone, but something is still probably a little better than nothing, either way, I figure.

460x1240.jpg

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
I have N95s thankfully, & wish they were more available for everyone, but something is still probably a little better than nothing, either way, I figure.
460x1240.jpg
Is "marginally better than nothing" anything to get worked up over though? So someone isn't doing something that might barely help, why get upset and self righteous over it? That's what bugs me. Those kinds of charts bug me too. For one, people get it. Have gotten it for months now. I'm not sure who anyone is trying to educate with them. And second, it's not even comparable. Pants will more or less completely contain urine. Crappy masks- and even N95s if not worn perfectly- will not completely contain your breath. It's just another lie "for people's own good" but still just that.

I've been wearing the same dirty mangled N95 since March. Last week someone noticed how poor it's condition was and gave me a new one- one of the slick stretchy material ones that all the rich people and reporters wear. I couldn't believe how much easier it was to breath in, felt like my breath just shot right through it with zero resistance. General pro-tip from someone who has been masking up for hazardous work conditions for years- if you don't low key feel like you are suffocating and have to stay vigilant on keeping your heart rate down to get by, your mask probably isn't doing much for you. Naturally, most people are going to choose comfort/breathing normally over that, especially when any crappy mask is enough to virtue signal your commitment to "science" or whatever. That leaves us with a majority of people pissing through their proverbial flys all day long while lecturing other people for also not pissing through their flys. Bugs me.

If the government is going to suggest wearing masks is effective they could at least do it right and drop the bullshit. Because for whatever reason people take it as gospel and then annoyingly preach it to others while getting all worked up on their sanctimonious high horses. So what if there is a run on N95s? Let the glut of shitty masks be a backup until supply can catch up to demand, but quit lying to the public to manipulate them.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It is kinda telling how there tends to be less cases over the weekends.
What do you infer from that?

I've occasionally noticed it, but wondered if fewer people want to go get tested on a weekend, and prefer to have social activities. The average timeframe from contracting the virus to showing symptoms tends to be 5 days, so if people were getting tests on the day they first show symptoms, lower numbers on a Sunday would imply less exposure on Wednesdays. I'm not actually sure what it means.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
What do you infer from that?

I've occasionally noticed it, but wondered if fewer people want to go get tested on a weekend, and prefer to have social activities. The average timeframe from contracting the virus to showing symptoms tends to be 5 days, so if people were getting tests on the day they first show symptoms, lower numbers on a Sunday would imply less exposure on Wednesdays. I'm not actually sure what it means.

Well in many country's numbers I get the impression that during a weekend the numbers are somewhat "depressed". Since every 5 days or so there is to some degree a small dip in new cases.
What is probably since people don't do tests as much on those days and people that aren't in emergency are more likely to skip anything medicine related on those days ... etc. In other words here the weekends are a big thing. Even regardless of the pandemic we plan to close supermarkets and malls on Sunday permanently, since people just need to have free and family time (shoppers and retail workers). Therefore this is probably cultural more than anything else.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Parsons comments on coronavirus, McCloskeys raise eyebrows | News Break

“These kids have got to get back to school,” Parson told Cox. “They're at the lowest risk possible. And if they do get COVID-19, which they will — and they will when they go to school — they're not going to the hospitals. They're not going to have to sit in doctor's offices. They're going to go home and they're going to get over it.”

He emphasized that people who are at high risk of becoming seriously ill should be protected but said most people in the state were smart enough to figure out how to stay safe without government interventions such as mask mandates.

Just get over it.

lol at the people are smart enough to figure out how to stay safe. Just FYI, there are 606,000 COVID deaths worldwide as of today. 25% of those are in the US. No they are breathtakingly not smart enough to figure it out.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx

I love this video.

"People who tend to be more entitled, arrogant, and lack empathy, are really minimizing this or they're viewing the coronavirus pandemic as something personal like it was designed just to inconvenience them ... God forbid they can't have the party or vacation they want, not stopping to think how immeasurably so many people are suffering in the face of this. It's all about them. So, they're often minimizing it, except the impact on them."

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
"People who tend to be more entitled, arrogant, and lack empathy, are really minimizing this or they're viewing the coronavirus pandemic as something personal like it was designed just to inconvenience them ... God forbid they can't have the party or vacation they want, not stopping to think how immeasurably so many people are suffering in the face of this. It's all about them. So, they're often minimizing it, except the impact on them."

I don't know. Maybe she's minimizing the impact this thing is having on well people. The things that well people do to stay healthy are being restricted, and they're gaining weight. Being overweight causes people to be more susceptible to the virus. By having more people be less physically fit, the virus has more potential to be harmful to everyone.

At this point, the effort should be on creating better guidelines for interacting with high-risk individuals and doing more for those people. Healthy and young people maybe should be able to do more things, like take their kids to play on the playground in the mall or McDonald's, if they are asymptomatic and not frequently in contact with people who are less well.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
I don't know. Maybe she's minimizing the impact this thing is having on well people. The things that well people do to stay healthy are being restricted, and they're gaining weight. Being overweight causes people to be more susceptible to the virus. By having more people be less physically fit, the virus has more potential to be harmful to everyone.

At this point, the effort should be on creating better guidelines for interacting with high-risk individuals and doing more for those people. Healthy and young people maybe should be able to do more things, like take their kids to play on the playground in the mall or McDonald's, if they are asymptomatic and not frequently in contact with people who are less well.
Or, maybe you're minimizing the risks involved while trying to turn it around on her by clinging to ONE desperate and 100% irrelevant sliver of information as though it supports your accusation when it definitely doesn't.

She's definitely not minimizing the impact it's having on people. The people mad about not being able to go on their cruise, or see their movie, etc. do not have weight loss in mind. Those who do value weight loss should exercise from home rather than going on their vacations, or to parties, etc. As if that's not enough, gyms are also open in many places despite being classified as high risk areas. Several places are running things such as swimming or gymnastics for children. The entire point is that she's talking about how the coronavirus is impacting everyone, and there are people who only care about having fun or seeking their own interests without concern for anyone else or how they're affected by things like...you know, dying. Did you actually even watch the video, or just read my quote? It should've been obvious what she was talking about if you had more context. Furthermore, this video was posted back in March and she is American, which means this was back when everything first began closing down, which means this was also when we were basically still learning about the virus and who it affects. As a personal input not pertaining to her stance on matters / her not minimizing, I'll also add...frankly, the young and seemingly healthy are not even invulnerable, and that is why I say you're minimizing the effects while trying to turn it around onto her.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
The lack of empathy during the coronavirus has been glaringly obvious. People have ignored social distancing guidelines, many have made a joke of it and gone around licking items in public or refused to wash their hands frequently as a precaution (which affects their families / those they live with), they have dismissed the anxieties of those who are genuinely worried and then they have gone about business as usual as though nothing has been happening while complaining about being unable to go to their parties, and to think someone is minimizing the impact of the virus/closing down for calling those people out and trying to help those in lockdown with difficult family members, etc. deal with those difficult family members is absolutely stupid.

Jaguar

The things that well people do to stay healthy are being restricted, and they're gaining weight .

Anyone can go out for a run/jog or even a long walk to keep weight off. That is not being restricted. Cycling will also knock off weight. What's being restricted are the activities that make people fat - standing still or sitting on your ass inside a bar drinking alcohol and shoveling food into your mouth at a restaurant.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx

Sure, being like obese presents some risks, but that's in general to be honest, and I doubt you can turn obese just because of a quarantine? Being slightly overweight doesn't change shit. Being physically fit has almost nothing to do with it. It's true young people are less affected, but doctors have yet to identify what triggers the severe cases even in young and otherwise healthy people, so there isn't a way for us to separate the people less at risk and the people at risk that cleanly. Even if you're asymptomatic you could still spread it to other people who aren't and eventually it spreads to someone who gets a severe case. You could still spread the virus to other people if you're not following quarantine.

Why would you take your children to McDonald's in the middle of a pandemic, wtf? You'd rather get your children to eat shitty food and play around than keep them safe?
#FirstWorldProblems

Yeah, haha, let's all go to McDonald's to lose weight! Lmao
Forget about working out from home or the gyms that're still open, this place is optimal.

Transparent attempt to rationalize to avoid a guilty conscience due to what Ramani was talking about being spot on.