• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Coronavirus

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
04d279926f3741a712cf1c2b6ec00cae.png

🇺🇸

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Questions surround accuracy of COVID testing reports in Florida

Guys still think the validity of corona tests are accurate, and actual death numbers?

pImJ3Dq.jpg

Almost as if Corona is curing cancer. :thinking:
Very sloppy. The graph shown has nothing to do with the article linked. Where is it from? The references listed at the bottom of the graph (gis.cdc.gov, covidtracking.com) do not contain information that matches up with the plot either, except that covidtrcking.com lists a current death total of 25,000 for New York state as of this month, which would be consistent with 17,000-18000 in April. In short, it's going to take alot more than this to shake my confidence in data reported by reputable sources with a decent confidence level.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Let me break it down why the numbers are outrageously inaccurate, and why we can't seem to control it.

1) We created tests from scratch, many which were not verified by the FDA. For a virus we didn't even understand yet.

2) Pressure on the FDA caused them to outsource test verification to people who's job wasn't specialized in virology opening the doors for a lot of human error in the tests.

3) Government and states had to rely on high probability error-prone tests to create the model response to Covid.

4) Projections either became too high or too low, causing the response to be almost completely ineffective in some areas entirely depending on which tests they used.

5)Government grants aide to hospitals for Covid patients. Provides help in form of streamlining things, and extra hospitals. While also opening up private sector interferance where the FDA can't object to the marketing of faulty antibody tests.

6)Hospitals use Covid as a way to make money as long as patients who died got a "test" for Covid, that was most likely erroneous. Because yeah Capitalism. Number of cases go through the roof as result. While other numbers drop (see my graph above).

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Very sloppy. The graph shown has nothing to do with the article linked. Where is it from? The references listed at the bottom of the graph (gis.cdc.gov, covidtracking.com) do not contain information that matches up with the plot either, except that covidtrcking.com lists a current death total of 25,000 for New York state as of this month, which would be consistent with 17,000-18000 in April. In short, it's going to take alot more than this to shake my confidence in data reported by reputable sources with a decent confidence level.

Wink news lol.

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Pretty ridiculous Kayleigh McEnany talked about "We're an outlier among nations in terms of opening up our schools." but stopped short of explaining or admitting as to why we're an outlier. Hmmm.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
https://www.thedailybeast.com/dr-de...-in-april-that-coronavirus-was-going-away-nyt

On April 11 in the Situation Room, she informed the task force that the country was doing well with containing the virus and that mitigation efforts were succeeding. She also reportedly wrote the guidelines given to the president that described voluntary steps states could take to reopen safely. Since April, the Trump administration has pursued an agenda of abdicating responsibility in favor of letting governors decide which tacks to pursue, which White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows dubbed “state authority handoff.”

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I keep seeing this quote on Fb, and though I'd be surprised if it's really Fauci who said/wrote it (it's attributed to him) - I think it makes effective and cogent points:

Chickenpox is a virus. Lots of people have had it, and probably don't think about it much once the initial illness has passed. But it stays in your body and lives there forever, and maybe when you're older, you have debilitatingly painful outbreaks of shingles. You don't just get over this virus in a few weeks, never to have another health effect. We know this because it's been around for years, and has been studied medically for years.

Herpes is also a virus. And once someone has it, it stays in your body and lives there forever, and anytime they get a little run down or stressed-out they're going to have an outbreak. Maybe every time you have a big event coming up (school pictures, job interview, big date) you're going to get a cold sore. For the rest of your life. You don't just get over it in a few weeks. We know this because it's been around for years, and been studied medically for years.

HIV is a virus. It attacks the immune system and makes the carrier far more vulnerable to other illnesses. It has a list of symptoms and negative health impacts that goes on and on. It was decades before viable treatments were developed that allowed people to live with a reasonable quality of life. Once you have it, it lives in your body forever and there is no cure. Over time, that takes a toll on the body, putting people living with HIV at greater risk for health conditions such as cardiovascular disease, kidney disease, diabetes, bone disease, liver disease, cognitive disorders, and some types of cancer. We know this because it has been around for years, and had been studied medically for years.

Now with COVID-19, we have a novel virus that spreads rapidly and easily. The full spectrum of symptoms and health effects is only just beginning to be cataloged, much less understood.
So far the symptoms may include:
Fever
Fatigue
Coughing
Pneumonia
Chills/Trembling
Acute respiratory distress
Lung damage (potentially permanent)
Loss of taste (a neurological symptom)
Sore throat
Headaches
Difficulty breathing
Mental confusion
Diarrhea
Nausea or vomiting
Loss of appetite
Strokes have also been reported in some people who have COVID-19 (even in the relatively young)
Swollen eyes
Blood clots
Seizures
Liver damage
Kidney damage
Rash
COVID toes (weird, right?)

People testing positive for COVID-19 have been documented to be sick even after 60 days. Many people are sick for weeks, get better, and then experience a rapid and sudden flare up and get sick all over again. A man in Seattle was hospitalized for 62 days, and while well enough to be released, still has a long road of recovery ahead of him. Not to mention a $1.1 million medical bill.

Then there is MIS-C. Multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children is a condition where different body parts can become inflamed, including the heart, lungs, kidneys, brain, skin, eyes, or gastrointestinal organs. Children with MIS-C may have a fever and various symptoms, including abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, neck pain, rash, bloodshot eyes, or feeling extra tired. While rare, it has caused deaths.

This disease has not been around for years. It has basically been 6 months. No one knows yet the long-term health effects, or how it may present itself years down the road for people who have been exposed. We literally *do not know* what we do not know.

For those in our society who suggest that people being cautious are cowards, for people who refuse to take even the simplest of precautions to protect themselves and those around them, I want to ask, without hyperbole and in all sincerity:
How dare you?

How dare you risk the lives of others so cavalierly. How dare you decide for others that they should welcome exposure as "getting it over with", when literally no one knows who will be the lucky "mild symptoms" case, and who may fall ill and die. Because while we know that some people are more susceptible to suffering a more serious case, we also know that 20 and 30-year-olds have died, marathon runners and fitness nuts have died, children and infants have died.

How dare you behave as though you know more than medical experts, when those same experts acknowledge that there is so much we don't yet know, but with what we DO know, are smart enough to be scared of how easily this is spread, and recommend baseline precautions such as:
Frequent hand-washing
Physical distancing
Reduced social/public contact or interaction
Mask wearing
Covering your cough or sneeze
Avoiding touching your face
Sanitizing frequently touched surfaces

The more things we can all do to mitigate our risk of exposure, the better off we all are, in my opinion. Not only does it flatten the curve and allow health care providers to maintain levels of service that aren't immediately and catastrophically overwhelmed; it also reduces unnecessary suffering and deaths, and buys time for the scientific community to study the virus in order to come to a more full understanding of the breadth of its impacts in both the short and long term.

I reject the notion that it's "just a virus" and we'll all get it eventually. What a careless, lazy, heartless stance.

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Stupidity is contagious:

Interestingly, so is empathy/compassion and wisdom. It's how strangers reached out to Megan Phelps (formerly Westboro Baptist) and Christian Picciolini (formerly white supremacist) to get them out of their respective hate groups. There's got to be some approach to interacting with people who compulsively vice-signal (e.g. going to covid party with bombastic attitude of trying to catch it) to bring some self-awareness about how stupid it is - but a big part of that is not calling them (nor even perceiving them as) exceptionally selfish and stupid, so it's a battle I'm currently personally losing.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
India +40 200

Even if they are doing only 7% of American testing and not even half of Brazil's. As I said: just wait, this will be the real disaster in global terms.

Jaguar

After listening to moronic people justify either themselves or others not wearing a mask

This is the first year where I dropped my tax payments in the mailbox outside the P.O. I usually mail them inside, fill out a proof of mailing slip and get it postmarked in front of me. Why didn't I do that this year? Because some asshole inside working with the public, is not wearing a mask. I walked out and called the postmaster. He said, "She has a health condition." I told him, "So do I. What's your point? I see no excuse." So I called another post office and asked him if their people were wearing masks. His answer? "Well, we're federal. We don't have to listen to the governor." He got a "fuck you" from me and I hung up on him.