• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Coronavirus

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Yep. And this was ALWAYS the plan for Michigan. Open up the state from low population in the north to higher populations in the south before Memorial Day.
Can I just say that I love the fact that things are going well enough in the states for democratic governors to begin lifting lockdown restrictions so we can get the economy moving again. I don't even mind all of the "but it was our plan all along" reposturing. Lots of great news this week.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, it's finally getting a good hold where I live. Now I know someone in my town who has it. Here we go. Let's see if people here actually take it seriously now. Someone at a pharmacy. A bus driver. A hotel worker. Lots of places for others to catch it. :doh:

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
When I was in the hospital they put me on more steroids and immuno supressants.
Guess I should start wearing a mask now.

Niiiice
NIH begins clinical trial of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin to treat COVID-19 | National Institutes of Health (NIH)

”We urgently need a safe and effective treatment for COVID-19. Repurposing existing drugs is an attractive option because these medications have undergone extensive testing, allowing them to move quickly into clinical trials and accelerating their potential approval for COVID-19 treatment,” said NIAID Director Anthony S. Fauci, M.D. “Although there is anecdotal evidence that hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin may benefit people with COVID-19, we need solid data from a large randomized, controlled clinical trial to determine whether this experimental treatment is safe and can improve clinical outcomes.”

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
When I was in the hospital they put me on more steroids and immuno supressants.
Guess I should start wearing a mask now.

Although we tested negative for antibodies (grain of salt because these tests have a decent rate of not detecting it if it has been too long since you had symptoms) and I ain't gonna go see if I can get it...but we had a very bizarre illness with a great deal of longevity from mid February to early April. Well, that was me and my grandfather. It kept coming in these waves of worsening symptoms. But my brother with asthma got it too, and the steroids actually helped him. Japan has done studies showing that asthma treatment with a particular steroid actually helped the patients who experienced the pneumonia from Coronavirus. So in the long haul, that steroid MIGHT help you...

also think it is fair to note my school notified me, too little too late, someone in my classroom building DID test positive for coronavirus. So I could have very well been exposed.

But just a grain of salt to maybe ease some of the anxiety.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How COVID-19 Has Created a Childcare Catch-22 for Working Families

In my state, the stay-at-home order has been lifted, but childcare centers are not reopening until June 8th. The weekly unemployment survey specifically asks if you would be able to work and have childcare available, meaning that if you can work but don't have childcare because your childcare center is closed, you would be fucked and wouldn't qualify for payment.

Why isn't childcare considered essential? Has anyone seen any explanation for this? This piece only says that 'some' facilities have remained open for essential workers, and then goes on use the current situation as a springboard to highlight how childcare even before the pandemic was an issue (which is definitely true) and compare us to other countries.

[And meanwhile, McConnell is holding up the release of more aid to individuals until Democrats agree to shield businesses from liability of making employees sick. I wish there were some media personality who could provide a bridge to make *any* sense of that turd's actions. It seems like all the conservative Never Trumpers all pretty much agree that McConnell is a psycho turd embarrassment to the Republican party. The closest it gets is Ben Shapiro - who can mostly remain civil and seems to have some integrity (which is valuable because it's rare) - but who is so remarkably shortsighted that he can't actually effectively explain a position to anyone who doesn't already almost 100% share his viewpoint.]

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Why isn't childcare considered essential? Has anyone seen any explanation for this? This piece only says that 'some' facilities have remained open for essential workers, and then goes on use the current situation as a springboard to highlight how childcare even before the pandemic was an issue (which is definitely true) and compare us to other countries.

The kids would still be in school now, so their childcare program would be at the school before class begins and after it ends. The schools are closed and you can't really just create an instant infrastructure out of nothing. Even before COVID, demand exceeded supply. Now it's even more of a logistical nightmare.

It's just yet another prime example of the obliviousness of the upper class to the reality of the majority. No one is thinking about any of the day-to-day details.

Jaguar

Your Mask Protects Others

Sun., May 17, 2020

As an RN with experience in infection control, I was horrified by the number of Spokanites happily shopping without face masks in my local supermarket yesterday!

By now, don’t we all know that our face masks protect others? I wear a mask to protect you; you wear a mask to protect me! ANY one of us could be ill with COVID-19 and showing NO symptoms.

That’s right: No symptoms! No cough. No sneezing. No fever! But our breath could nevertheless be putting the coronavirus into the air all around us! Especially into the public restrooms in our favorite supermarket, to sicken others!

If you do not care whether you sicken others while you are shopping, then shame on you! We are all in this together! Plus, your mask-free shopping could actually end up killing someone you dearly love.

Please! Wear your mask while shopping! And I’ll wear mine, for you!

Dian Allison

Spokane

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Is there a requirement to become a Michigan resident - willful ignorance? Yours will end up killing someone and worse yet, you don't even give a shit.
Thank you for yet another positive and constructive contribution to online discourse. If only we had more mature role models around here like you to be inspired by.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I'm cool with my wife dying and I likely infected her.....But I'm negative!

he-thought-coronavirus-was-fake-crisis-then-he-contracted-it-n1209246

He thought the coronavirus was 'a fake crisis.' Then he contracted it and changed his mind.

But I'm sure they will be disclosed as huge Dem donors any day.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How COVID-19 Has Created a Childcare Catch-22 for Working Families

In my state, the stay-at-home order has been lifted, but childcare centers are not reopening until June 8th. The weekly unemployment survey specifically asks if you would be able to work and have childcare available, meaning that if you can work but don't have childcare because your childcare center is closed, you would be fucked and wouldn't qualify for payment.

In case this effects you (or anyone else here) personally, from NPR: Scared To Return To Work Or Can't With Kids At Home? Here's What You Need To Know

3. If you can't get child care, you should be able to stay on unemployment.

Many parents are stuck right now if they have a job that can't be done remotely from home. They can't return to their place of work because with schools, day cares and summer camps closed, they have no one to watch their kids. Congress approved help for them, too.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
In case this effects you (or anyone else here) personally, from NPR: Scared To Return To Work Or Can't With Kids At Home? Here's What You Need To Know

3. If you can't get child care, you should be able to stay on unemployment.

Many parents are stuck right now if they have a job that can't be done remotely from home. They can't return to their place of work because with schools, day cares and summer camps closed, they have no one to watch their kids. Congress approved help for them, too.

If all else fails, I can just claim that I felt ill, and that buys me another 2 weeks.

Thank you though, this is good.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Religious people downplaying this because they think god will save them.....reminds me of a story of a religious man stranded on his roof during a flood who repeatedly turning down rescue offers because god would save him. When he drowned and went to heaven, he asked god why he wasn’t saved. God said “what do you mean, I sent multiple people your way and yet you declined all of their offers to ferry you to safety.”

Only he’ll say to dead Covid victims how he sent multiple signs and warnings and softened leaders’ hearts so they’d employ more curve flattening measures. He even gave them opportunities to wear masks, but they ignored every survival opportunity he presented them

Point being don’t let your faith be an excuse for complacency and passivity in the face of this.

Religious people downplaying this because they think god will save them.....reminds me of a story of a religious man stranded on his roof during a flood who repeatedly turning down rescue offers because god would save him. When he drowned and went to heaven, he asked god why he wasn’t saved. God said “what do you mean, I sent multiple people your way and yet you declined all of their offers to ferry you to safety.”

Only he’ll say to dead Covid victims how he sent multiple signs and warnings and softened leaders’ hearts so they’d employ more curve flattening measures. He even gave them opportunities to wear masks, but they ignored every survival opportunity he presented them

Point being don’t let your faith be an excuse for complacency and passivity in the face of this.

Hello good sir,

Would you like to discuss theology with me?

Jaguar

It is not known yet whether a positive result for antibodies means a person is immune to the disease, and experts have cautioned against making major decisions based on the test results. Experts believe the presence of antibodies probably means people have been exposed and have some level of protection against the virus, but they don’t have solid proof yet. They also don't know how long immunity might last.

In other words, don't be a jackass and jump to conclusions prematurely.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hello good sir,

Would you like to discuss theology with me?

Start a public thread on it and I might participate at some point. I have been avoiding back channel discussion lately.

I’m not trying to shit on religious people or make them appear stupid. I just think some of them are misguided in their faith in how they deal with this type of crisis. When i used to actively go to an evangelical church, one of the sermons from the pastor that really stuck with me was when he lectured that yes, while faith is important, the faithful should not ignore or downplay basic signs of poor health when they appear. Go to the doctor, take precautions, etc. God, if he exists, created us with choice and free will, and we have a choice to treat our bodies as temples. I don’t see why the threat of a virus should lead to a different approach. Think of taking every available approach to lessen chances of infection as part of the important role of upkeeping a temple, subject to physical decay and damage like any other structure is when neglected.

I believe that lesson applies not only to one’s own health but the collective health.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I agree with Ed...I am a Christian but God gave us this wonderful thing...called a brain.

God gave it to us to...USE. WOW.