• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Coronavirus

rav3n

High COVID-19 Attack Rate Among Attendees at Events at a Church — Arkansas, March 2020 | MMWR

mm6920e2_ChurchEventsArkansasCOVID19_IMAGE_19May20_1200x675-medium.jpg

Start a public thread on it and I might participate at some point. I have been avoiding back channel discussion lately.

I’m not trying to shit on religious people or make them appear stupid. I just think some of them are misguided in their faith in how they deal with this type of crisis. When i used to actively go to an evangelical church, one of the sermons from the pastor that really stuck with me was when he lectured that yes, while faith is important, the faithful should not ignore or downplay basic signs of poor health when they appear. Go to the doctor, take precautions, etc. God, if he exists, created us with choice and free will, and we have a choice to treat our bodies as temples. I don’t see why the threat of a virus should lead to a different approach. Think of taking every available approach to lessen chances of infection as part of the important role of upkeeping a temple, subject to physical decay and damage like any other structure is when neglected.

I believe that lesson applies not only to one’s own health but the collective health.

I can't tell if you want to take this to another thread or if this was your first submission. Do you want to take this to Philosophos/Spirit section and this be your initial post?

rav3n

Hot off the press!

Minks may have infected a human with Covid-19, Dutch authorities believe - CNN

(CNN)Dutch authorities believe a mink may have infected a human with Covid-19, and are instituting mandatory testing at all mink farms in the Netherlands.

"On the basis of new research results from the ongoing research into Covid-19 infections at mink farms, it is plausible that an infection took place from mink to human," the Dutch government said in a statement late Tuesday night.

"It also appears from this research that minks can have Covid-19 without displaying symptoms."

The government said antibody testing of minks would be expanded to "all mink farms in the Netherlands and will become mandatory."

The government also said it believes cats may be playing a role in the spread of the virus between farms. "Ongoing research shows the viruses at two of the infected farms are very similar," the statement said. Covid-19 was found in three out of 11 cats at one mink farm, it said.

"In the course of this investigation, it is advised that infected mink farms ensure that cats cannot enter or leave the farm premises."

World Health Organization spokesperson Fadela Chaib said last month that all available evidence says Covid-19 originated in bats, but experts have previously warned against drawing conclusions about other animals transmitting the virus to humans.

At least eight big cats have tested positive for the virus at Bronx Zoo.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
CDC says coronavirus 'does not spread easily' on surfaces, objects - Health News - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Touching infected surfaces has long been a concern about the spread of the coronavirus, but multiple news outlets noticed this week that the CDC's "How COVID-19 spreads" page appears to have changed the messaging.

It states that the coronavirus "is thought to spread mainly from person to person." This includes people who are in close contact through respiratory droplets that can be produced when an infected person coughs, sneezes or talks. COVID-19 can be spread by people showing no symptoms.

It may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes. This is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads, but we are still learning more about this virus," the CDC wrote.

The CDC also says transmission between animals and people, and vice-versa, is not a way the virus easily spreads. But there have been a few reports of possible cross-contamination.

Estimating the Risk of Death from COVID-19 vs. Influenza or Pneumonia by Age

1-z-Lu6w-Sp-Cqqa2t-OUFBCc-FA.png

Any more media fear mongering is just laughable at this point.

In other words, don't be a jackass and jump to conclusions prematurely.

Indeed.

Florida's Governor Deserves an Apology From the National Press - The Resurgent

I initially believed the national media narrative in March that Ron DeSantis was asleep at the switch in Florida and responded late. But it turns out that while we were all focused on crowded beaches, DeSantis had already zeroed in on where the virus was most likely to be, i.e. nursing homes.

On March 15, 2020, as the national and local media blasted DeSantis for his refusal to close beaches, Florida’s Governor was issuing an important order two months sooner than Andrew Cuomo, Governor of New York. On March 15, DeSantis ordered all seniors in elder care facilities who had been hospitalized for COVID-19 to be moved to facilities other than their nursing homes. New York’s Governor was still sending infected patients to nursing homes last week.

The results speak for themselves. While Florida’s nursing homes have not been spared, Florida’s data shows that only 1,789 of 146,482 long term care facility residents have been infected. That is a dramatic departure from other states, particularly from New York where bodies continue to be discovered in nursing homes.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
NPR: Researchers: Nearly Half Of Accounts Tweeting About Coronavirus Are Likely Bots

Researchers culled through more than 200 million tweets since January discussing the virus and found that about 45% were sent by accounts that behave more like computerized robots than humans.

It is too early to say conclusively what individuals or groups are behind the bot accounts, but researchers said the tweets appeared aimed at sowing divisions in America.

"We do know that it looks like it's a propaganda machine, and it definitely matches the Russian and Chinese playbooks, but it would take a tremendous amount of resources to substantiate that," said Kathleen Carley, a professor of computer science at Carnegie Mellon University, who is conducting a study into bot-generated coronavirus activity on Twitter that has yet to be published.

Good news from the CDC as they've updated their site:
How Coronavirus Spreads | CDC

The virus does not spread easily in other ways:

COVID-19 is a new disease and we are still learning about how it spreads. It may be possible for COVID-19 to spread in other ways, but these are not thought to be the main ways the virus spreads.

- From touching surfaces or objects. It may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes. This is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads, but we are still learning more about this virus.

- From animals to people. At this time, the risk of COVID-19 spreading from animals to people is considered to be low. Learn about COVID-19 and pets and other animals.

- From people to animals. It appears that the virus that causes COVID-19 can spread from people to animals in some situations. CDC is aware of a small number of pets worldwide, including cats and dogs, reported to be infected with the virus that causes COVID-19, mostly after close contact with people with COVID-19. Learn what you should do if you have pets.​

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The key words in the statement:

"but we are still learning more about this virus"

many here already know how negatively I feel about touting the "these people were gonna die of something soon anyway" argument. Many people have risk factors here that cause Covid-19 to get a dramatic hold on them. I'm not taking my chances with my family involved. There's certainly a level of "fear mongering" that occurs or did occur, but I don't think just because a little exists we should throw caution to the wind and assume this is just some basic illness.

That is a level of ignorance and disbelief that could kill someone else, let alone yourself.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Aren't you the person always talking about how you can't control others, only yourself? I think that's applicable here. I place blame on state and federal authorities that had 100% control over what the US did. They have no control over what China did.

I get that you can't handle criticism of Trump (except for calling out his tone lol) and the admin but this is a failed state that's failing more by the day.

If an arsonist starts a fire, and the fire department was unable to put out the fire in time, I too would place the blame on the fire department because they're supposed to control 100% of the fire. They had no control over what the arsonist did.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Aren't you the person always talking about how you can't control others, only yourself? I think that's applicable here. I place blame on state and federal authorities that had 100% control over what the US did. They have no control over what China did. I get that you can't handle criticism of Trump (except for calling out his tone lol) and the admin but this is a failed state that's failing more by the day.
I get that if you stub your toe you are likely to blame Trump for it, but you know what our "failed state" didn't do? Cultivate a horrific pandemic in biohazardous wet markets, fail completely to contain it, lie to the rest of the world about it during a time when truth could have saved lives, and imprisoned it's own people for trying to do the right thing in getting the word out. There's your failed state.

You want to play the "government should have x" card while ignoring China and focusing all of your time and energy on the US? You have zero control over either of those entities. What a joke.

Jaguar

Gov. Cuomo On Catching COVID-19 At Airports: ‘The Feds Are Letting Us Down, So I Have To Step In’ – CBS New York

Some of the same international flights that have long been blamed for causing coronavirus to explode in New York and New Jersey area are still operating, and Cuomo was quick to blame the federal government on that problem.

As reported by CBS2 this week, data from flightaware.com shows in the last two weeks international flights to Newark Liberty Airport and John F. Kennedy Airport have arrived from China, South Korea, and much of Europe, including the United Kingdom and Italy.