• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Coronavirus

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Can't read, no subscription. What's it about?

That people actually think there aren't already plans in place for these things. Trump only needed to implement them, not come up with something from scratch.

That and he sent tons of medial supplies to China at the beginning of February. But no one ever seems to mention that may be the reason there are shortages now.

Trump administration sent protective medical gear to China while he was minimizing the virus threat to US - CNN

U.S. sent 17.8 tons of masks, respirators, other PPE to China in February | OurQuadCities

But apparently he thinks doctors and nurses are stealing them.

Trump pushes conspiracy theories about mask thefts, instead of using the DPA to make more - Vox

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Rankings from most infected to least infected (minor states included for completeness):

1. New York 3052 cases/million
2. New Jersey 1521 cases/million
3. Louisiana 753 cases/million
4. Massachusetts 617 cases/million
5. Washington 575 cases/million
6. Michigan 466 cases/million
7. Connecticut 427 cases/million
8. Vermont 375 cases/million
9. Colorado 362 cases/million
10. Nevada 294 cases/million
11. Rhode Island 277 cases/million
12. Illinois 275 cases/million
13. Pennsylvania 267cases/million
14. Mississippi 253 cases/million
15. Georgia 252 cases/million
16. Delaware 240 cases/million
17. Utah 228 cases/million
18. Tennessee 227 cases/million
19. Indiana 226 cases/million
20. Maryland 205 cases/million
21. Florida 199 cases/million
22. California 193 cases/million
23. Maine 189 cases/million
24. Wisconsin 183 cases/million
25. New Hampshire 157 cases/million
26. Alabama 157 cases/million
27. Wyoming 149 cases/million
28. Idaho 149 cases/million
29. Montana 145 cases/million
30. Ohio 141 cases/million
31. Missouri 137 cases/million
32. Arkansas 136 cases/million
33. Oregon 131 cases/million
34. South Carolina 130 cases/million
35. North Dakota 129 cases/million
36. Nebraska 129 cases/million
37. Arizona 128 cases/million
38. Alaska 115 cases/million
39. Kansas 110 cases/million
40. Oklahoma 109 cases/million
41. North Carolina 108 cases/million
42. Iowa 106 cases/million
43. Hawaii 106 cases/million
44. Virginia 104 cases/million
45. New Mexico 99 cases/million
46. Minnesota 90 cases/million
47. South Dakota 89 cases/million
48. Texas 88 cases/million
49. Kentucky 88 cases/million
50. West Virginia 62 cases/million

We have a state called "West Virginia"? j/k :D

Great job, West Virginia, Kentucky, Texas, and South Dakota.

Since you didn't give references I'll help you out.

Coronavirus updates in Texas: Official case count reaches nearly 2,900 | The Texas Tribune

Texas has at least 2,877 cases and 38 deaths. Great job Texas.

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
RSy46Qe.png

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This does not surprise me. I went shopping last Monday, right at open, as I specifically wanted to get 2 weeks+ of meat, and was hoping for toilet paper, some canned veggies/tomatoes, and some frozen veggies. I went to meat first, and they were fully stocked. Then I went to toilet paper and got a package. Then I went to frozen veggies, and there were only 2 packages left in the entire case. Canned was almost as picked over, veggie wise, but still had some stuff, so I got a few. I also got a bag of fresh carrots, some fresh potatoes and sweet potatoes, and some onions. Eggs and dairy seemed fully stock (even shredded bags of cheese were marvelously plentiful). For myself I was to totally satisfied with these results, but then I know by afternoon people probably wouldn't have had this success. # of shoppers wasn't bad at open last week, at least the day I went. Everyone was pretty dispersed once in the store, anyway.

Edit: There were NO bleach based or disinfectant cleaning products, or pure bleach, for that matter, though. The whole cleaning aisle was virtually bare, minus all purpose natural type cleaners.

I shouldn't have to go back for another ten days at least, but by that point I'm just going to start getting fresh fruit and veggies.
Amazon shipped my last order that included dry lentils and prunes. I was told they were going to stop shipping, but online places might still be an option for longer storage type dried food that isn't too heavy like cans. I have stocked up, but will say my food is not very fancy or exciting. It's really plain the stuff I have to eat now.

Someone gave me a good idea for toilet paper. I keep a bag where I put used paper towels, napkins, tissues, and other paper products that I would usually throw away, but could be used as toilet paper when mine runs out. I keep the bag by the toilet and put them in there instead of the trash.

I'm trying too stretch my resources as much as possible.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=9251]Jonny[/MENTION]

When do you think this is going to peak and start coming down off of the exponential curve? I've been reading different estimates, but was curious what you think and the reasons why.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
2b2a24c410e4cbe897837abcbb5b7b71.png

:cry: My whole face just exploded in sinus pain from seeing this.

á´…eparted

passages

I feel like this would be the closest analog men could experience to understand what it is like for women to pull out a dry tampon (guy, so I've only heard that it feels like what literal fingernails on a chalkboard sounds like x10).

A. Can any medical professionals confirm if this is actually how the test is done? This feels... excessive and anatomically inaccurate, and does not match what I have heard about testing.

B. Can any women confirm if this might be a parallel to a dry tampon yank?

...re-reading this this sounds horribly gross, but the 4-year old finds it too funny so I am posting it anyway.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I saw a video of someone getting tested in their car. That doesn't verify all tests do this, but the one I saw did. (It's one thing to watch it happen to someone, another to see a diagram showing how far back the swab actually goes :cry: ). The person in the video reacted like expected; it clearly hurt.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Are others having food shortages?

I'm glad I'm not afraid to call around to talk to the store employees, who I feel so sorry for. One grocery store showed most of the stuff I wanted to buy in stock, for curbside pickup But the earliest time was Friday. Well, I asked if I'd actually get what I ordered and she said quite likely not because they don't even see the orders until it's a few hours from when they're to be picked up. They haven't been able to order for the store in the past few weeks - the warehouse is just sending them whatever, which has meant very little frozen food. They have no frozen vegetables, no ice cream, dairy is spotty. There's fresh produce, but with trying to buy for several weeks? I'm sure they have a lot of angry customers. I'm going to go to a different store this evening, who had told me that they have had some food left on the shelf, but if you want toilet paper, you have to be there when they open.
Trader Joe's was fine on frozen veggies yesterday. :shrug: Most of the places I've seen lately have a decent amount of ice cream (which is nice, but not what I'm after). Some stores have been almost out of canned soup lately, but not all. Last night at Winco I noticed a huge void where ramen was supposed to be. :huh: Some stores have limits on how many you can get of certain items.

This isn't making sense. So everyone has to go when the stores open to buy the stuff before it's gone. Meaning there's a big crowd. Which is what we're supposed to avoid.
Around here a lot of places limit how many people are allowed inside at a time. Some places have 6 foot increments marked on the sidewalk outside so people know how much space to keep between each other as they wait in line to get in. They also usually have 6 foot markers leading to the registers too.

I'm wondering if the rest of you are having this problem or if it's because I live where... we're not as important, the flyover states, even covid tests that were ordered for us were redirected to other areas (so it appears to not be bad here, but how can they really know when people aren't tested?)

Everybody gotta feed their eels.
"My hovercraft is full of eels."

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
T

Around here a lot of places limit how many people are allowed inside at a time. Some places have 6 foot increments marked on the sidewalk outside so people know how much space to keep between each other as they wait in line to get in. They also usually have 6 foot markers leading to the registers too.

It was 30 minutes to get into Costco last week.

I saw the 6 ft. markers today in Meijer. The vast majority of people shopping were Shipt people doing delivery shopping for people though.

I also didn't want ice cream but I did want a few cheese pizzas for myself but they always seem out of those even at normal times.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Update: I guess Albertson's is having delivery problems. I dunno why. :shrug: (That's the store that told me they've had little frozen food in weeks.)

I went to Target, there were more people than there usually are before they close (I usually go in the evening when there are fewer people.) But people mostly tried to remain distant. They were out of toilet paper, paper towels, Lysol, Clorox wipes. But they had frozen vegetables and milk and everything else- even frozen berries, except frozen orange juice. Only the self checkout lanes were open, which was kinda annoying and was where we were exposed to the most people, who also used the self checkout and had many fewer items and had to walk past us. But now we shouldn't have to leave the house for awhile. I just hope the stores will start having paper and cleaning products soon.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Amazon shipped my last order that included dry lentils and prunes. I was told they were going to stop shipping, but online places might still be an option for longer storage type dried food that isn't too heavy like cans. I have stocked up, but will say my food is not very fancy or exciting. It's really plain the stuff I have to eat now.
I occasionally use Amazon to send things to a friend overseas, and from what I can see, they won't ship anything now, even items I had shipped just a month ago. That is really annoying.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I feel like this would be the closest analog men could experience to understand what it is like for women to pull out a dry tampon (guy, so I've only heard that it feels like what literal fingernails on a chalkboard sounds like x10).

A. Can any medical professionals confirm if this is actually how the test is done? This feels... excessive and anatomically inaccurate, and does not match what I have heard about testing.

B. Can any women confirm if this might be a parallel to a dry tampon yank?

...re-reading this this sounds horribly gross, but the 4-year old finds it too funny so I am posting it anyway.

I can't judge the drawing but both I and my partner have been tested and what I can confirm from personal experience is:

Yes, they use a very long Q-Tip
Yes, they insert it through the nose and shove it waaaaay down the cavity.
Yes, it hurts a bit. It's a slight burning sensation.
Yes, you feel mildly violated afterwards.

It only takes a few seconds though and while it definitely IS highly disagreeable I wouldn't call it painful.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
@Mods Does the forum have a policy about unqualified medical advice and spreading pandemic-related fake news?
This has been reported for discussion by the modstaff. The ongoing COVID-19 situation is a global pandemic that goes well beyond the medical situations usually discussed here. If this forum cannot be part of the solution, we should at least ensure we do not exacerbate the problem.

As with anything else, prompt and thoughtful self-regulation may forestall the need for imposed regulation by the "authorities". Translation: please consider carefully the soundness of what you post, and provide links where possible so readers can follow up. Remember, just because someone has "M.D." after their name doesn't guarantee they are infallible, free from bias, or even know what they are talking about.

More later.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can't judge the drawing but both I and my partner have been tested and what I can confirm from personal experience is:

Yes, they use a very long Q-Tip
Yes, they insert it through the nose and shove it waaaaay down the cavity.
Yes, it hurts a bit. It's a slight burning sensation.
Yes, you feel mildly violated afterwards.

It only takes a few seconds though and while it definitely IS highly disagreeable I wouldn't call it painful.

And it's better than dying, yes?

I partly joke. But am partly serious. Like... The image of the test is bothersome? How about the idea of not being able to breathe?