• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Coronavirus

I’m glad to see this thread devolved into a complete shitshow. You know what doesn’t care about our political views? The virus. Carry on.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Evil and a Heathen
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm glad capitalism is so awesome that it can get fucked up just because people are overreacting to this stupid virus. But if I learned anything from the War in Terror, it's that panicky decisions motivated purely by fear are "pragmatic." Metaphorical pants-wetting is apparently the height of wisdom.

Remember the swine flu? I probably had that. I was out for a week in college. I'm still here.

I had an interview cancelled today because the stock market conditions put the company into a hiring freeze.

Swivelinglight

Permabanned
I'm glad capitalism is so awesome that it can get fucked up just because people are overreacting to this stupid virus. But if I learned anything from the War in Terror, it's that panicky decisions motivated purely by fear are "pragmatic." Metaphorical pants-wetting is apparently the height of wisdom.

I had an interview cancelled today because the stock market conditions put the company into a hiring freeze.

Not trying to be an ass; but, wouldn't any economic system in which there is a large amount of interaction among individuals be heavily influenced by such a virus, or its over-reaction?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Evil and a Heathen
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Not trying to be an ass; but, wouldn't any economic system in which there is a large amount of interaction among individuals be heavily influenced by such a virus, or its over-reaction?

You really don't think it's conceivable that things like this don't have to be so susceptible to overreaction? You don't think we could do better than chicken little bullshit?

To answer your question, I think it's something that might always be a factor, but it's conceivable to me that it could be minimized. Certainly, a sensational, profit-driven corporate media is fueling the fire in this particular situation. I think even something like having better journalism that wasn't just about ratings would help tamp down on this.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7

Remember the swine flu? I probably had that. I was out for a week in college. I'm still here.

It’s just absurd. Here all of the big stores have been gutted. I mean, I GUESS stocking up on food makes sense if you intend to stay home but if everyone refuses to go to work well, THAT is how infrastructure shuts down in a crisis, not because of the disease, because of panic. But let’s say for a ,moment that stating home was a reasonable reaction- WHY are people stocking up on bottled fucking water? Do you not have a fucking kitchen sink? THINK people. I know, that is too much to ask.

Turns out the 1st to die in the U.S. went to the same dialysis clinic as me. I told my friends this and their response was “ Oh, that reminds me- mind me if I visit you at Dialysis tomorrow?”

Because critical thinking v mass hysteria says that a dialysis clnic is probably one of the safest places to be during a possible outbreak: a lot of old people with poor immune systems means that most of them wear masks when ill ( like “ patient zero” did)
Those bastards are grotesquely anal about ‘clean” scrub that place top to bottom with bleach several times a day. NOTHING is surviving.

The death rate us about 2% yes, higher than the flu but still 2% even IF one catches it, death is hardly imminent.

Swivelinglight

Permabanned
You really don't think it's conceivable that things like this don't have to be so susceptible to overreaction? You don't think we could do better than chicken little bullshit?

To answer your question, I think it's something that could be a factor, but it's conceivable to me that it could be minimized. Certainly, a sensational, profit-driven corporate media is fueling the fire in this particular situation. I think even something like having better journalism that wasn't just about ratings would help tamp down on this.

There's two issues you seem to be addressing:

"capitalism is so awesome that it can get fucked up just because people are overreacting to this stupid virus."

"You really don't think it's conceivable that things like this don't have to be so susceptible to overreaction"

Regarding the first, again - I don't understand how capitalism is unique in how it might be affected by such a situation.

Regarding the second, sure.

Since this is the corona virus thread; I'll state my views on it, although I haven't read much. The things that seem concerning are its exponential median transmission rate. Not only that, it's uncertain whether it's possible to be able to go into remission; and whether it's a life-time illness such as herpes (that would suck). Finally the possibility of mutation of the pathogen would really really suck.

I am unsure if there is an overreaction to the virus, at this point in time, due to how little scientists understand of the virus so far.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Evil and a Heathen
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
There's two issues you seem to be addressing:

"capitalism is so awesome that it can get fucked up just because people are overreacting to this stupid virus."

"You really don't think it's conceivable that things like this don't have to be so susceptible to overreaction"

Well, consider corporate journalism in a capitalist society, for one thing. They benefit by creating an environment of sensationalism and alarmism since it drives ratings. This creates a panic which causes the stock market to tank. Indirect, perhaps, but it's an example that immediately comes to mind.

Swivelinglight

Permabanned
Well, consider corporate journalism in a capitalist society, for one thing. They benefit by creating an environment of sensationalism and alarmism since it drives ratings. This creates a panic which causes the stock market to tank. Indirect, perhaps, but it's an example that immediately comes to mind.

Eh.. still, I think you're reaching to fit a narrative. No system is flawless

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Evil and a Heathen
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Eh.. still, I think you're reaching to fit a narrative. No system is flawless

Not capitalism. It's the only flawless system we've ever produced and it can't be improved upon. Sorry, it's just rational pragmatic logic.

Swivelinglight

Permabanned
Not capitalism. It's the only flawless system we've ever produced and it can't be improved upon. Sorry, it's just rational pragmatic logic.

Haha Jules I totally understand your sentiment, and panic and sensationalism has had the ability to cause over-reactions in the stock market in the past. Still, I believe those over-reactions are usually balanced out over time. There are also instruments and institutions in place to ensure that things are okay even in the event of extraordinary panic (E.G. great recession). Still, I have to continue on with my conclusion that you're just looking for reasons to blame a system that you're currently discontent with, without realizing that those grievances also apply to other systems.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Evil and a Heathen
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Haha Jules I totally understand your sentiment, and panic and sensationalism has had the ability to cause over-reactions in the stock market in the past. Still, I believe those over-reactions are usually balanced out over time. There are also instruments and institutions in place to ensure that things are okay even in the event of extraordinary panic (E.G. great recession).

I'm sorry, but those institutions are staffed with people who are either utterly inept and incompetent, or corrupt . I don't have faith in them.

Still, I have to continue on with my conclusion that you're just looking for reasons to blame a system that you're currently discontent with, without realizing that those grievances also apply to other systems.

I'm just not convinced that there are no ways to mitigate the system so we all have to be subject to chicken little bullshit. Sorry, I'm just not buying it.

Swivelinglight

Permabanned
I don't have faith in them.

And this is where it all stems from. That's your right, and healthy levels of skepticism are always welcome, in my opinion. It is however, I think, the reason for our differences of opinion on the matter - and no more debate will really change either of our views on the subject.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I have no idea what this test costs, only NY that I'm aware of has waived fees for it. But simply putting a price tag on it at any level ensures the poor and uninsured won't bother.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ordered some masks. They arrived today. From China :shock:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Ordered some masks. They arrived today. From China :shock:

For future reference, Moldex is in Culver City, CA. I get my reusable respirator cartridges from them but they make all kinds of masks. Also you might want to check and see if you are putting on and taking off your masks correctly - WHO is an excellent source for that.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

á´…eparted

passages
I ordered them before learning that. Actually there are masks that work but they are discouraging the general public from buying them because they want them to be available for healthcare professionals.

They're still good to have if you do get sick (including if you get some other virus like the flu), just use responsibly :).

Also, if you do get sick do not get in a car with someone else (coversely, do NOT get in a car with a sick person). Cars are one of the easiest and quickest ways to get sick/get someone else sick.

Also just in general, please don't get sick. I am concerned given you stated you have bad asthma.