• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Coronavirus

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Trump has to have stock in that wack drug he’s prescribing for everyone. Listen to how he talks about it.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Best prepared? I'd like to see evidence supporting such a claim, I don't buy that.

We can only speculate as to how prepared we would have been if any effort had been made to keep the pandemic team active. I've not found a reason for why the guy in charge resigned (I mean, oftentimes "resigned" means the person was fired but offered the opportunity to 'resign' for career purposes), why Bolton fired 2nd in charge, why the team was disbanded and not replaced - the only thing we know is that it's what happened. It's POSSIBLE we might have remotely lived up to the reputation with better leadership.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
We can only speculate as to how prepared we would have been if any effort had been made to keep the pandemic team active. I've not found a reason for why the guy in charge resigned (I mean, oftentimes "resigned" means the person was fired but offered the opportunity to 'resign' for career purposes), why Bolton fired 2nd in charge, why the team was disbanded and not replaced - the only thing we know is that it's what happened. It's POSSIBLE we might have remotely lived up to the reputation with better leadership.
Possibly, but then...every time I go out to the store or doctor I see at LEAST 2 people touching their faces carelessly every time. People just aren't cautious about this shit even WITH the numbers and warnings.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
Me: at the store, buying 2 individual-sized sodas and some stuff for dinner tonight
Cashier, after just putting her hands to her face and inhaling to smell after touching a product during the checkout of another lady who also touched her face: "Do you want me to leave one of these out?"
Me: "No thanks" while thinking in my head, "fuck no, do you think I'm putting my mouth on this container before it's sanitized?"

What is wrong with these people?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Me: at the store, buying 2 individual-sized sodas and some stuff for dinner tonight
Cashier, after just putting her hands to her face and inhaling to smell after touching a product during the checkout of another lady who also touched her face: "Do you want me to leave one of these out?"
Me: "No thanks" while thinking in my head, "fuck no, do you think I'm putting my mouth on this container before it's sanitized?"

What is wrong with these people?

I ran to Walmart, just the Garden Center for some compost. I wore gloves and a mask. I got laughed at, stared at, questioned by the gloveless, maskless cashier. This is rural Michigan, I expect some level of ignorant but this is suicidally stupid.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
I ran to Walmart, just the Garden Center for some compost. I wore gloves and a mask. I got laughed at, stared at, questioned by the gloveless, maskless cashier. This is rural Michigan, I expect some level of ignorant but this is suicidally stupid.
Aren't the New Yorkers fleeing to there a lot too?

á´…eparted

passages
In some actual meaningful treatment news, the antiviral remdesivir (which is broad spectrum in effect and appears to have activity against other coronaviruses) may be a viable treatment for severe coronavirus cases (patients who are unable to breathe). It is now working its way through stage III clinical trials, and it has also been approved for experimental use in Europe in cases where the patient is unable to breathe, in a "compassionate use" manner.

In anticipation of this having potential to work, Gilead is ramping up production of the material now. This is important as the manufacturing process will take at least 6 months to complete. The intent with this drug (assuming it passes clinical trials). Even better, Gilead intends to donate the drug.

Ultimately, what we need most of all is a functional vaccine, but those taken even longer to develop, so it's important that effort is being put into this now since we need to do everything we can to help.

Stay tuned, more to come with this and lets hope that the clinical trial and patient data is good and shows efficacy. There is potential that this could save thousands of lives or more if it proves to work.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
So I hear but unless they are blending in well driving beater trucks and wearing head to toe camo, I haven't seen any.
I see. Still, it's ridiculous how people aren't taking it seriously. At least here the gloves and masks are rather commonplace.

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
w80o8vl.png

Coronavirus Case Counts Are Meaningless* | FiveThirtyEight

Also, this site is pretty cool:

COVID-19

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just saw this; thought it was a pertinent topic tied to all of this

Feds swooped in on Colorado's ventilator order, Polis says

“We can’t compete against our own federal government,” Polis said. “So either work with us, or don’t do anything at all. But this middle ground where they’re buying stuff out from under us and not telling us what we’re going to get, that’s really challenging to manage our hospital surge and our safety of our health care workers in that kind of environment.”

-------
Out of its current 4,565 cases, 875 are hospitalized, 126 deaths.

Jaguar

Just saw this; thought it was a pertinent topic tied to all of this

Feds swooped in on Colorado's ventilator order, Polis says

“We can’t compete against our own federal government,” Polis said. “So either work with us, or don’t do anything at all. But this middle ground where they’re buying stuff out from under us and not telling us what we’re going to get, that’s really challenging to manage our hospital surge and our safety of our health care workers in that kind of environment.”

This sleazy shit is pissing me off. They're doing it outside the country and inside the country. I'm sure you've heard the expression - lead, follow, or get the fuck out of the way. You don't insult governors at every turn and then hamstring them so they can't get the job done for the people of their state.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
This sleazy shit is pissing me off. They're doing it outside the country and inside the country. I'm sure you've heard the expression - lead, follow, or get the fuck out of the way. You don't insult governors at every turn and then hamstring them so they can't get the job done for the people of their state.

Don Lemon is not a source of news anyone should ever consider. The feds can't lead, because they don't have the resources to do the state's jobs for them, and they can't get the fuck out of the way because the states are now competing for finite resources across the globe with an all american ME FIRST attitude, and if nothing was in place to stop 400-new-cases-a day Colorado from hoarding unneeded ventilators from 600 deaths-a-day New York, our national death toll would be much higher.

Can you guys take a break from being partisan hacks for like five seconds and put on your objective logic goggles at least until we are through this?

Tomb1

U.S. '''wasted''' months before preparing for virus pandemic - ABC News

"the Trump administration squandered nearly two months that could have been used to bolster the federal stockpile of critically needed medical supplies and equipment.

A review of federal purchasing contracts by The Associated Press shows federal agencies waited until mid-March to begin placing bulk orders of N95 respirator masks, mechanical ventilators and other equipment needed by front-line health care workers."

Reporter: So how do you answer the criticism that you waited until mid-march to start ordering ventilators and masks?
Dummy Trump: I answer that you're the worst reporter in history!

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Don Lemon is not a source of news anyone should ever consider. The feds can't lead, because they don't have the resources to do the state's jobs for them, and they can't get the fuck out of the way because the states are now competing for finite resources across the globe with an all american ME FIRST attitude, and if nothing was in place to stop 400-new-cases-a day Colorado from hoarding unneeded ventilators from 600 deaths-a-day New York, our national death toll would be much higher.

Can you guys take a break from being partisan hacks for like five seconds and put on your objective logic goggles at least until we are through this?

If you're including me in your 'you guys' statement, I have no idea why. I didn't make any commentary of my own on the article. What I found relevant, and why I separated out the quote that I did, was the lack of communication and direction, thus governors are potentially trying to obtain things because they do not have any clear idea on whether they will get it otherwise.

Edit: Also the topic itself seems highly relevant and problematic, given high needs all around and lack of direction and, well, clear leadership. The fact is, it's happening. That's why I shared the article.