• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Coronavirus

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site_COVID19_USMap_0402_v01_AG_hpEmbed_16x9_992.jpg

Seriously, WTF are they doing in NY !?

Well when you've got half your state's population jammed packed into one city like sardines in a can, and that city is largely dependent both mass transit and heavy foot traffic, both which put you largely uncontrollable close proximity to others, makes it almost near impossible to control.

Jaguar

WASHINGTON — White House economists published a study last September that warned a pandemic disease could kill a half million Americans and devastate the economy.

It went unheeded inside the administration.

In late February and early March, as the coronavirus pandemic began to spread from China to the rest of the world, President Trump’s top economic advisers played down the threat the virus posed to the U.S. economy and public health.

“I don’t think corona is as big a threat as people make it out to be,” the acting chairman of the Council of Economic Advisers, Tomas Philipson, told reporters during a Feb. 18 briefing, on the same day that more than a dozen American cruise ship passengers who had contracted the virus were evacuated home. Public health threats did not typically hurt the economy, Mr. Philipson said. He suggested the virus would not be nearly as bad as a normal flu season.

The 2019 study warned otherwise — specifically urging Americans not to conflate the risks of a typical flu and a pandemic. The existence of that warning undermines administration officials’ contentions in recent weeks that no one could have seen the virus damaging the economy as it has. The study was requested by the National Security Council, according to two people familiar with the matter.

White House Economists Warned in 2019 a Pandemic Could Devastate America - The New York Times

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Well when you've got half your state's population jammed packed into one city like sardines in a can, and that city is largely dependent both mass transit and heavy foot traffic, both which put you largely uncontrollable close proximity to others, makes it almost near impossible to control.

What kind of a mass transit ? The people should be in their homes.
That is the point behind WTF, I know what probably happened. The question is more like why is the party continuing while the Titanic is sinking.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

LOL.

The first two weeks felt like I was chain-smoking internet, and then this past week has started to feel like a video game where the goal is to NOT get drunk and go shopping online. Mostly for used books. I mean, I wouldn't guessed that's what week #3 madness would look like for me but it's surprisingly difficult to not do.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Last night I realized I might run out of gin by mid next week. This is disappointing. Means I'll have to go to a liquor store within a few weeks. :dry:

(I enjoy a cocktail most days of the week)

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Last night I realized I might run out of gin by mid next week. This is disappointing. Means I'll have to go to a liquor store within a few weeks. :dry:

(I enjoy a cocktail most days of the week)

:D I don't drink much wine but I like the fashionable hard seltzers and cocktails but the other day I saw these...

637087563722527518.jpg

I'm glad I got two boxes. But I really want to find these.

402023011_3_640x640.jpg

Yeah I have a couple bottles of Jameson, yeah I have ginger ale and lime but it's so nice outside I want to grab a cold can and go.

Jaguar

Now place an overlay on the graph and add the following high density events, noting the incubation time of 2-14 days and project forward:

Mardi Gras: Feb 25, 2020
Spring Break: Feb 29 - April 4, 2020

Gee. Thanks a lot, people. Now stay the fuck home.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Cuomo closed playgrounds in New York on wednesday. How on earth were they still open? Over here the first thing that closed was schools and kindergardens, then large assemblies, then the playgrounds and medium sized assemblies and most stores. Now only essential places are open, 1.5 m distance is compulsory and controlled by police and you can't have more than two people assemble unless they live in the same household already. The worst is probably still to come, but the growth of the curve is slowing down.

I'm not saying there is only one way of dealing with the crises or that any country did or does everything right. Nobody did.

Over here people are debating when and how the lockdown can be loosened. Likely at the end of april or beginning of may, it remains to be seen. So far the deathcount is relatively low and hospitals still have empty beds and free ventilators so that another current debate is whether to take in foreign patients in order to help fellow European countries or to keep those capacities free in order to stay prepared for a possible massive increase in demand over the next weeks.

Also, what's up with France, Germany and Canada all saying the USA are confiscating medical equipment produced abroad and already sold to those countries... while abroad, i. e. grabbing equipment bought by Europeans as it passes through Bangkok, etc??? These methods have even been compared to modern piracy...

rav3n

Also, what's up with France, Germany and Canada all saying the USA are confiscating medical equipment produced abroad and already sold to those countries... while abroad, i. e. grabbing equipment bought by Europeans as it passes through Bangkok, etc??? These methods have even been compared to modern piracy...
Not sure about Germany but it does appear that the U.S. is taking supplies intended for Canada and France.

Coronavirus: Canada investigates reports medical supplies shipment 'diverted to US' | World News | Sky News

Canada will be making their own.

Made-in-Canada ventilators, masks, test kits coming soon: Trudeau | CBC News

Trump has ordered 3M to stop exporting N95 masks to Canada and other countries.

3M faces pressure from Trump order to stop exporting N95 masks to Canada | CBC News

xenaprincess

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Cuomo closed playgrounds in New York on wednesday. How on earth were they still open?

I don't think a lot of the playgrounds here are open at all. We're about 30 minutes north of the city. All the play ground areas have been roped off with yellow tape.

Sabbathhhank

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IXFX
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
it really sucks, in this part of Canada I live in it's almost winter year round (a lot of Canada) so amongst Covid, and many businesses being shut down you're stuck inside as well. It's just awful.

Jaguar

Health officials say 71 worshipers at Sacramento-area church have contracted COVID-19

Open up the bars again if you're going to be that reckless allowing churches to become petri dishes, staying open.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Health officials say 71 worshipers at Sacramento-area church have contracted COVID-19

Open up the bars again if you're going to be that reckless allowing churches to become petri dishes, staying open.

I just watched a report about the situation in Russia. There were descendents of cosacks celebrating a religious service at the end of which everyone stood in line to kiss a crucifix. When asked if they were worried about the pandemic people said that cosacks were historically robust and tough and "less frail than Asians" and besides they had God on their side... so everything will be fine.