• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Coronavirus

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
We are making similar mistakes to the handling of the Spanish influenza of 1918-20

This virus will be with us for a long time

Let's see. 500 million were infected with the Spanish flu. Which didn't originate there but I doubt many Trump constituents know this or care to learn about it.

17 to 50 million dead. It lasted for 2 years. Many died from malnutrition, overcrowded medical camps and hospitals, and poor hygiene. ALL of which can happen with COVID. Especially when medical professionals with no PPE are infected en mass, watch the numbers rise. Trump's behavior towards this and states that have done away with maintaining their supplies almost guarantee it. We can be right back in 1918-1920 that quick.

Using those Spanish flu statistics, project the COVID numbers by half. 1 year, 250 million infected, 25 million dead. Those are pretty believable numbers. Personally I was thinking, when this started in the US - 6-9 months of stay at home measures, gloves and masks anytime one is outside.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There seems to be a lot of he said she said right now about the reasons why, but it seems clear the EU is bulk buying medical equipment including ventilators. The UK, very much short on all of that, could have participated but didn't. The UK government says there was miscommunication. The EU says that is bullshit and the UK deliberately chose not to because they wanted to shop around on their own and "buy British". Specifically that means vacuum cleaner producer Dyson is looking into the possibility of producing ventilators. Yes, that's right, Dyson, you know, the company owned by Boris Johnson's friend the ver y loud and active Brexit supporter James Dyson.

Mind Maverick

RTBTA—TWAIWPRWL
Trump has instilled a false sense of security in many of his constituents. This is unforgivable
I'd still take Trump over Bolsonaro any day. People are comparing him to Trump but he's honestly worse...which is pretty hard to accomplish, but apparently it's possible.

From the article @ceecee linked
“This place is Republicanville and too many people believe what the president is saying, and they were out in the streets and out in the squares,” said Alan Stone, as he sat in one of The Villages’ ever-present golf carts outside a supermarket, waiting for his wife. “They don’t realize that they’re playing with death.”
I can't even take these people seriously. Can you really not think for yourself and recognize the dangers without being told by a president? Being republican has nothing to do with it. This is an issue of being mindless sheeple.

Jaguar

WASHINGTON (REUTERS) - President Trump said Saturday he was considering imposing a quarantine on New York, New Jersey and Connecticut.
Trump said he was mulling the quarantine, while at the same time walking back urging to quickly reopen the economy.

This guy, man.

Update:

The quarantine would be for “two weeks on New York, probably New Jersey, certain parts of Connecticut,” he said. It would “restrict travel, because they’re having problems down in Florida, a lot of New Yorkers going down, we don’t want that.”

We don't want that, Donnie. After all, you live in Florida. Jerk.

Nicodemus

WASHINGTON (REUTERS) - President Trump said Saturday he was considering imposing a quarantine on New York, New Jersey and Connecticut.
Trump said he was mulling the quarantine, while at the same time walking back urging to quickly reopen the economy.

This guy, man.

Update:

The quarantine would be for “two weeks on New York, probably New Jersey, certain parts of Connecticut,” he said. It would “restrict travel, because they’re having problems down in Florida, a lot of New Yorkers going down, we don’t want that.”

We don't want that, Donnie. After all, you live in Florida. Jerk.
Well, he needs to carry Florida. Hard to do for a Republican when the elderly are hospitalized or dead. Even he knows he has no chance of winning New York, plus people are being mean to him there...

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I'd still take Trump over Bolsonaro any day. People are comparing him to Trump but he's honestly worse...which is pretty hard to accomplish, but apparently it's possible.

From the article @ceecee linked
“This place is Republicanville and too many people believe what the president is saying, and they were out in the streets and out in the squares,” said Alan Stone, as he sat in one of The Villages’ ever-present golf carts outside a supermarket, waiting for his wife. “They don’t realize that they’re playing with death.”
I can't even take these people seriously. Can you really not think for yourself and recognize the dangers without being told by a president? Being republican has nothing to do with it. This is an issue of being mindless sheeple.

Well, for lots of them, no. They can't. These are the deep state, fake news, TRUE believers. My parents are somewhat like this, many of their friends are exactly like this but they turn around and say - all politicians are the same, they're all criminals, they all lie. Ok fine so why aren't you attacking Trump and the GOP the same way? It's cult mentality, you can't burst that bubble. And many of them will end up dead.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Let's see. 500 million were infected with the Spanish flu. Which didn't originate there but I doubt many Trump constituents know this or care to learn about it.

17 to 50 million dead. It lasted for 2 years. Many died from malnutrition, overcrowded medical camps and hospitals, and poor hygiene. ALL of which can happen with COVID. Especially when medical professionals with no PPE are infected en mass, watch the numbers rise. Trump's behavior towards this and states that have done away with maintaining their supplies almost guarantee it. We can be right back in 1918-1920 that quick.

Using those Spanish flu statistics, project the COVID numbers by half. 1 year, 250 million infected, 25 million dead. Those are pretty believable numbers. Personally I was thinking, when this started in the US - 6-9 months of stay at home measures, gloves and masks anytime one is outside.

Trump is just disgusting in how he is 'handling' all of this. Pathetic.

Yeah, I wonder. As time goes on and we learn more about this, and perhaps see many waves of this (it is beginning to look like it'll be with all of in some form for a long while), I wonder how many iterations of 'stay at home', timeframe adjustments, or policy changes, and all of that, we will experience. I am particularly uncertain about how my own job will play out as time goes on and how my company will make decisions (sbux).

Mind Maverick

RTBTA—TWAIWPRWL
Opinion | At Walmart, the Coronavirus Makes It Feel Like Black Friday - The New York Times

Some of the people still having to work are in difficult situations. This isn't the worst I've read though, which is surprising because it's Walmart and they notoriously treat their employees like disposable batteries. I'm thankful that I have work from home self-employment that is thriving more than usual during these times...even though I'm not supposed to be doing it because I'm on medical leave from my other job.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
US in the lead while also in clear first place when it comes to today's new cases.

Turkey is also starting to accelerate in numbers. What is geopolitically big since Turkey has wars on it's borders as well as over 3 million refugees that are a wildcard in a way. Especially if they start moving.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
New Cases Today:

New York: 6056 new cases
New Jersey: 2299 new cases
Massachusetts: 1017 new cases
Michigan: 993 new cases
Florida: 840 new cases
Louisiana: 569 new cases
Pennsylvania: 533 new cases
Texas: 379 new cases
Washington: 317 new cases
Tennessee: 309 new cases
California: 189 new cases

Good job California. I'm seeing social distancing everywhere and the majority of people are wearing gloves. What's going on with Massachusetts and Michigan? Are they being "seeded" by New Yorkers? They're fast becoming hotspots.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
New Cases Today: New York: 6056 new cases New Jersey: 2299 new cases Massachusetts: 1017 new cases Michigan: 993 new cases Florida: 840 new cases Louisiana: 569 new cases Pennsylvania: 533 new cases Texas: 379 new cases Washington: 317 new cases Tennessee: 309 new cases . . . California: 189 new cases Good job California. I'm seeing social distancing everywhere and the majority of people are wearing gloves. What's going on with Massachusetts and Michigan? Are they being "seeded" by New Yorkers? They're fast becoming hotspots.
New Yorkers are flooding into my small northern Michigan town to "escape" the virus. So probably. Out of all the people in the country, who are still pretty likely to do so, New Yorkers seem the most prone in the nation to only care about themselves.

Mind Maverick

RTBTA—TWAIWPRWL
New Yorkers are flooding into my small northern Michigan town to "escape" the virus. So probably. Out of all the people in the country, who are still pretty likely to do so, New Yorkers seem the most prone in the nation to only care about themselves.
Tbh, IME this is how people are in basically all of the populated cities.