• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Coronavirus

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
The Florida governor has issued an executive order requiring the 14-day isolation of all visitors from New York. I highly recommend other states do the same. It's just common sense to protect your state from a population that's at high risk of being infected. Please don't come to California.

Update: Abbot Laboratories has a new test kit out that tests for antibodies to the coronavirus. You get results in only 20 minutes. The 14-day isolation may not be needed when that product hits the market next week, but until we can test people, it's best to put New Yorkers in a holding facility of some sort.

xenaprincess

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
New Yorkers are flooding into my small northern Michigan town to "escape" the virus. So probably. Out of all the people in the country, who are still pretty likely to do so, New Yorkers seem the most prone in the nation to only care about themselves.

I think you can interpret the same thing in different ways. New Yorkers are tired of being cooped up in close quarters. Humans aren't designed for that kind of living.

Take any human and put them in a small box for a long time, and they will react the same way. People need light and air.

I think in the end, everyone wants the same thing - health, manageable stress, a decent shot at life. I'm relieved not to be in NYC right now (moved a year ago). My old neighbors are still there, many with little kids. They all look incredibly depressed.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The Florida governor has issued an executive order requiring the 14-day isolation of all visitors from New York. I highly recommend other states do the same. It's just common sense to protect your state from a population that's at high risk of being infected. Please don't come to California.

Update: Abbot Laboratories has a new test kit out that tests for antibodies to the coronavirus. The 14-day isolation may not be needed when that product hits the market next week, but until we can test people, it's best to put New Yorkers in a holding facility of some sort.

Or every state could have stay at home orders in effect for everyone.

Where was Florida's concern during spring break festivities?

Edit: My main point being, it seems hardly fair to target visiting new Yorker's if states aren't administering fairly stringent stay at home measures for its own residents. The fact is the virus is already present in every state.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
Or every state could have stay at home orders in effect for everyone.

Where was Florida's concern during spring break festivities?
It was with the smart ones among us. Those were honestly mostly travellers though, tbf...although DeSantis should've closed the beaches much sooner.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It was with the smart ones among us. Those were honestly mostly travellers though, tbf...although DeSantis should've closed the beaches much sooner.

I edited my post a bit.

Colorado ruined many vacationers plans by closing its ski resorts beginning around March 10ish or maybe earlier. But, stopping people from entering the state isn't what should be focused on imo; it's setting limitations in place within the state itself to prevent movement of people once there that's in their power to address. But quarantining visitors while being lax everywhere else (if that is still happening)? Please.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
Edit: My main point being, it seems hardly fair to target visiting new Yorker's if states aren't administering fairly stringent stay at home measures for its own residents. The fact is the virus is already present in every state.
Hmm, but we are on stay at home orders...? It's plenty fair to target people visiting from a place where half of the infected population resides regardless though. It only makes sense. You're basically saying "since they're doing one negative thing, it's not fair to do this other positive thing over here," which is already a flawed statement even without the claim of the negative thing we're doing being untrue, which it is.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm, but we are on stay at home orders...? It's plenty fair to target people visiting from a place where half of the infected population resides regardless though. It only makes sense. You're basically saying "since they're doing one negative thing, it's not fair to do this other positive thing over here," which is already a flawed statement even without the claim of the negative thing we're doing being untrue, which it is.

I'm just speaking generally; I have no idea what state specific orders are atm, whether florida has shut down all bars and restaurants, etc. If that is the case, ok, I'm still not sure what new yorker's will be doing once there other than effectively staying at home, if that's the state order.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I know a few mountain communities here halted all condo/vacation rentals as of a week or so ago, as their own solution to trying to keep Travelers out of these more isolated communities. The same logic was behind shutting down a national park.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
I'm just speaking generally; I have no idea what state specific orders are atm, whether florida has shut down all bars and restaurants, etc. If that is the case, ok, I'm still not sure what new yorker's will be doing once there other than effectively staying at home, if that's the state order.
Going to stores for supplies that they couldn't take with them on the plane and spreading it in the stores, for one. Also potentially spreading it to friends or family they're staying with, or in hotels, if they stay in those. That's if they go to the areas that are shut down. There are some places in FL such as but not limited to the counties of Taylor, Madison, Jefferson, and Calhoun that don't even have ANY cases and are still fully operational and running normally, which is why we are not issued a statewide shut down and it's being done county by county.

See interactive map of cases by county here:
Experience

Most of the infections are coming from concentrated areas here. It's not spread out all over as much as it's just in our populated cities.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Going to stores for supplies that they couldn't take with them on the plane and spreading it in the stores, for one. Also potentially spreading it to friends or family they're staying with, or in hotels, if they stay in those. That's if they go to the areas that are shut down. There are some places in FL such as but not limited to the counties of Taylor, Madison, Jefferson, and Calhoun that don't even have ANY cases and are still fully operational and running normally, which is why we are not issued a statewide shut down and it's being done county by county.

See interactive map of cases by county here:
Experience

I feel like I hear what you're saying, I'm just wondering why Florida isn't on full lockdown (all residents not heading out, having social events, etc) given the fact they are largely a vacation and retirement community. The fact there are counties there doing nothing blows my mind. But sure, if they want to block people at the airport and stations and borders, and go the enforced quarantine route, I guess that's their prerogative.

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
8BmMjnc.png

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
I feel like I hear what you're saying, I'm just wondering why Florida isn't on full lockdown (all residents not heading out, having social events, etc) given the fact they are largely a vacation and retirement community. The fact there are counties there doing nothing blows my mind. But sure, if they want to block people at the airport and stations and borders, and go the enforced quarantine route, I guess that's their prerogative.
There are statewide shutdowns or limitations on certain things, but as for a full lockdown, there's no need for a county with no cases to stop working and close everything already. That would just be damaging the economy for basically no reason, as there's not really much of anything (if anything at all, in some places) to even quarantine there yet. As I said in my edit, most of the infections are coming from concentrated areas here, which is mostly the tourist hot spots and populated cities. The count we have is not highly dispersed all over, a little more than 50% is from just 3 counties in South Florida. There needs to be a balance maintained between keeping the economy going and keeping the virus at bay. People can't even buy supplies to stock up without work.

Anyway, with New Yorkers coming, that 50% can spread out much more rapidly. Then you've got people still traveling on infected cruise ships from places like Chile and shit...it's just a mess. Florida absolutely needs to close down tourism and travel, it's imperative for our numbers.

EDIT:
That tourism/travel and the number of vulnerable elderly we have is a bad combination.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There are statewide shutdowns or limitations on certain things, but as for a full lockdown, there's no need for a county with no cases to stop working and close everything already. That would just be damaging the economy for basically no reason, as there's not really much of anything (if anything at all, in some places) to even quarantine there yet. As I said in my edit, most of the infections are coming from concentrated areas here, which is mostly the tourist hot spots and populated cities. The count we have is not highly dispersed all over, a little more than 50% is from just 3 counties in South Florida. There needs to be a balance maintained between keeping the economy going and keeping the virus at bay. People can't even buy supplies to stock up without work.

Anyway, with New Yorkers coming, that 50% can spread out much more rapidly. Then you've got people still traveling on infected cruise ships from places like Chile and shit...it's just a mess. Florida absolutely needs to close down tourism and travel, it's imperative for our numbers.

I guess I don't view 'no need' applying anywhere at this juncture, so I think that's at the root of our differing thoughts. For me, it seems hypocritical (edit: Not you, at a policy level)to fuss about visitors when one isn't even doing ones utmost within the state to prevent things among their own local populace. Prevent being operative word. But I'm not trying to convince you, I see we have some deviation from where we are coming from, so I'll bow out. :)

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
I think you can interpret the same thing in different ways. New Yorkers are tired of being cooped up in close quarters. Humans aren't designed for that kind of living.

Take any human and put them in a small box for a long time, and they will react the same way. People need light and air.

I think in the end, everyone wants the same thing - health, manageable stress, a decent shot at life. I'm relieved not to be in NYC right now (moved a year ago). My old neighbors are still there, many with little kids. They all look incredibly depressed.

For the most part I don't blame them. I'd flee somewhere like here if I could if I were them too. Though a lot of them get here and feel like they can relax because we have low numbers, and they go out and handle groceries and travel in large groups. But at the same time plenty of locals do the same, so it's not a specific prejudice against them. It does rub me the wrong way as a conservative though. Suddenly all these city types with a penchant for safety in numbers who don't care at all about and in fact often look down upon rural types suddenly move on in with guilty looks on their faces. Still, like I said- I don't blame them one bit. Either it helps one more person not get infected, or it infects a bunch of people who otherwise wouldn't get infected. Absent control, ethically, I feel like the chance of helping someone not get infected is the right (moral) call.

xenaprincess

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For the most part I don't blame them. I'd flee somewhere like here if I could if I were them too. Though a lot of them get here and feel like they can relax because we have low numbers, and they go out and handle groceries and travel in large groups. But at the same time plenty of locals do the same, so it's not a specific prejudice against them. It does rub me the wrong way as a conservative though. Suddenly all these city types with a penchant for safety in numbers who don't care at all about and in fact often look down upon rural types suddenly move on in with guilty looks on their faces. Still, like I said- I don't blame them one bit. Either it helps one more person not get infected, or it infects a bunch of people who otherwise wouldn't get infected. Absent control, ethically, I feel like the chance of helping someone not get infected is the right (moral) call.

I can’t speak for the people you’re viewing, because I have no idea. Maybe they are assholes. Quite possibly. We have plenty of those here, too.

One of my old neighbors left for a suburb of Philly, where his in-laws live, because his wife’s job is definitely shut down til the end of April. And they have two young sons that run around a lot. It was either be cooped up in an apt with these boys who want to run around, or be able to have a little more space for that, plus a backyard.

Are my neighbors going around licking products at the supermarket or running up to people and breathing in their faces? Probably not. They’re most likely hunkered down with their in-laws/parents, leading quiet lives. They’re thinking about how to stay sane with their young children. They also plan to move out of the city soon, because the boys are just too active.

All my other old neighbors, as far as I know, are staying in place. Almost all have kids.

NYers are used to going out a lot. Not necessarily just to spend money, but we walk a LOT. Not everyone has the luxury of a car. I’d do my grocery shopping on foot a couple times a week, and I loved it. Well, a lot of ppl do. There are sedentary people, too. I’m just saying that bc a lot of ppl don’t have cars, you get used to moving around. So being cooped up is hard on the brain.

One could say ‘well, you chose that, you deserve it’. Maybe so. You can interpret things however you like.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
If you don't do a complete shut down on the country all of the bailouts are basically complete waste of money. Therefore all states must be isolated one from another and perhaps even parts of many states need to be divided one from another. While federal government needs to provide aid in money and supplies. If you don't do that there is no real point of doing anything about the virus, since coordination of the measures is the key to success.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
^^ Exactly this

Now I see that even the quarantine of NY is off the table, what is a disaster. The place should have been cut off from the rest of the country for at least a week by now. While the aid pours into the bowl.
However judging by the big picture pretty much all liberal western democracies seem to have messed up the response to this (and generally for similar reasons). This just isn't the time for wishy-washy logic and exceptions.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
The shape of the epidemic curve has changed. For the past 5 days, the growth curve for "new cases" is no longer exponential; it's linear. This is great news because we are at the start of the "flattening" portion of the epidemic curve. If this trend holds, we are no longer expecting 30,000 deaths through April, but rather 4500 deaths. The call for 600,000 more ventilators was (I think) based on an exponential growth model. I don't think we're going to need that many anymore. The growth curve for deaths is still exponential, but that is a lagging indicator and in a week, it will follow the "new cases" curve as well.

03amfEy.png