• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Coronavirus

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Deaths are decreasing, though.

I don't know why people like to measure the pandemic this much in the terms of deaths. Since there can be evident medical damage even if the person survives.
Not to mention that high number of infections disrupt education process, rises public debt that is already in the red in many places, disrupts production and sales of goods (and many services), removes focus from other problems that really matter and can't really wait, it increases ethnic or various security related tensions (which create deaths that aren't on the list). It really is much more complex than "some people died".

Jaguar

White House blocks CDC order to keep cruise ships docked until February, report says

Of course, kill as many people as you can before leaving office.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Do we really have to wait for after the election to get over the fear mongering yet? People have already made up their minds one way or the other, I'm not sure how much it's going to keep helping the establishment.

New CDC update:

poster_3292ac05f69e459c92e6562c917bf42f.jpg

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
I don't know why people like to measure the pandemic this much in the terms of deaths. Since there can be evident medical damage even if the person survives.
Not to mention that high number of infections disrupt education process, rises public debt that is already in the red in many places, disrupts production and sales of goods (and many services), removes focus from other problems that really matter and can't really wait, it increases ethnic or various security related tensions (which create deaths that aren't on the list). It really is much more complex than "some people died".

You should had reserved that for [MENTION=20035]anticlimatic[/MENTION], not for me!
I think both numbers are important, but it isnt more disastrous if less people are dying.
What you said serves as a short answer to the post above this post.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
it'd be nice to have another stimulus check, but I doubt we are going to get it. Espeically not with the terms in it as is. Senate will kill the bill again probably...

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
You should had reserved that for [MENTION=20035]anticlimatic[/MENTION], not for me!
I think both numbers are important, but it isnt more disastrous if less people are dying.
What you said serves as a short answer to the post above this post.

Well, what I type is usually addressed/opened to the entire forum. Not just to quoted person.

Regarding bolded part.
My point was exactly that even with reduction in death you can still have increase of the problems in general if new cases are still coming in decent numbers. This is especially the case since now we are something like 6 months into the time when the pandemic went global. What means that many reserves and options we had months ago are now drained on personal, national and global level. What makes it easier for things to go wrong or problems to pile up. Therefore it really is much more complicated than just deaths.

Plus towards worldometer graph deaths are more stagnant over the last weeks than actually decreasing. However as the northern hemisphere fully enters cold days the numbers are likely to increase actually.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
It seems that India peaked, they came right next to 100 000 a day and one million of active cases. But over the last 2 weeks the numbers are coming down.

On the other hand Russia sees clear rise in daily new cases.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
Well, what I type is usually addressed/opened to the entire forum. Not just to quoted person.

Regarding bolded part.
My point was exactly that even with reduction in death you can still have increase of the problems in general if new cases are still coming in decent numbers. This is especially the case since now we are something like 6 months into the time when the pandemic went global. What means that many reserves and options we had months ago are now drained on personal, national and global level. What makes it easier for things to go wrong or problems to pile up. Therefore it really is much more complicated than just deaths.

Plus towards worldometer graph deaths are more stagnant over the last weeks than actually decreasing. However as the northern hemisphere fully enters cold days the numbers are likely to increase actually.

I still feel deaths are more relevant since they are more shocking, you know? Less people dying with more infections is more preferable, I think.. But I understand your concerns. Also I got that if we have no infections we got no deaths but if we got no deaths we can still get more infections.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I still feel deaths are more relevant since they are more shocking, you know? Less people dying with more infections is more preferable, I think.. But I understand your concerns. Also I got that if we have no infections we got no deaths but if we got no deaths we can still get more infections.

Well, deaths are "textbook" concern. However you can't judge the whole situation just based on deaths, or you will simply miss good chunk of the actual havoc that is going on. There are countries and regions where you basically have complete social implosion without some huge spike in death. However the pandemic related problems that hit into already large problems simply crashed the tower of card on local levels. What we could see globally because the world is sitting on something like 270 000 billion dollars of debt. In other words triggering that avalanche doesn't require that many deaths to happen, even if this is likely to produce many more deaths. This probably wouldn't happen but new cases on their own just add to the anxiety and panic, what should be underestimated. This is exactly why I said that you can't really fix the economy until you remove the virus. Since people simply don't want to spend that much.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
Well, deaths are "textbook" concern. However you can't judge the whole situation just based on deaths, or you will simply miss good chunk of the actual havoc that is going on. There are countries and regions where you basically have complete social implosion without some huge spike in death. However the pandemic related problems that hit into already large problems simply crashed the tower of card on local levels. What we could see globally because the world is sitting on something like 270 000 billion dollars of debt. In other words triggering that avalanche doesn't require that many deaths to happen, even if this is likely to produce many more deaths. This probably wouldn't happen but new cases on their own just add to the anxiety and panic, what should be underestimated. This is exactly why I said that you can't really fix the economy until you remove the virus. Since people simply don't want to spend that much.

Despite deaths and disease, people on Brazil arent really panicking, they are too busy not caring actually.

I agree that you cannot judge the whole situation with deaths only, but it is a fact that the deaths to infected ratio is dropping to lower levels, meaning that COVID is more easily handled and/or is getting weaker.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Despite deaths and disease, people on Brazil arent really panicking, they are too busy not caring actually.

I agree that you cannot judge the whole situation with deaths only, but it is a fact that the deaths to infected ratio is dropping to lower levels, meaning that COVID is more easily handled and/or is getting weaker.

Well, over the months we managed to develop some decent counters. But that doesn't imply that the virus got weaker. Actually more available testing is likely to find more of the easy cases that usually go unnoticed. What from statistical point of view looks as the virus got weaker. However despite this the disease still isn't truly trivial to the point that you can just let it run through the population. Even if most people got used to the general risk. Since it is obvious we will just have to live with that risk for the foreseeable future.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm reticent to say this, but if they barely get sick then I'm concerned that'll 'confirm' it's mostly harmless and Team Itsjustaflu will go full steam ahead with the "the death count is being artificially inflated" narrative & pressure to restore normalcy. So I hope their recovery isn't that fast.

[Eta] And can I just say: they wouldn't have it if they hadn't been tested. That was a really stupid move.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What if the fuck lied about it just so he could get out of the next debate?

Or so he could later downplay the severity of Covid by saying it wasn’t any worse than a normal flu for him?

Either way, I wish Melania well. And Donald. Hopefully Baron is being kept far from both for the next few weeks.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
What if the fuck lied about it just so he could get out of the next debate?

Or so he could later downplay the severity of Covid by saying it wasn’t any worse than a normal flu for him?

Actually that was my first impulse as well. But there are problems with this idea.
First is that second debate is still 10 days away, so declaring this now kinda isn't the best moment. Plus there is the problem of rallies, now he can't do rallies and he really needs them if we judge by polling. Although if something truly happens to him we will probably get another JFK style "saga". The chapter that never got closed.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Technically they don’t have to put Pence at the top of the ticket if Trump died, though they probably would anyway.