• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Coronavirus

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That is a good article. This is its summary:

“You can really see the mask is doing something,” said one of the study’s co-authors, Warren S. Warren, a professor of physics, chemistry, radiology and biomedical engineering at Duke. “There’s a lot of controversy and people say, ‘Well, masks don’t do anything.’ Well, the answer is some don’t, but most do.”

Jaguar

Nasty.

EfT5mkgUEAIZeqB

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Coronavirus Pandemic: Houston Hospitals Defy Doomsday Predictions | National Review

Dr. Reynolds Delgado, a cardiologist at Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center who handles “the really bad COVIDs,” said he has closely examined patients “multiple hundreds of times,” and has been perfectly fine with an N95 mask. He added that none of St. Luke’s six infectious-disease doctors have gotten sick, despite examining “every single COVID case” since the pandemic began — an anecdote the hospital confirmed as accurate.

“The masks really do work. That’s the point of all that,” he stated.

----------

Facing the surge was no small task. But Houston’s months-long experience of treating COVID, coupled with the observation of the virus in other cities, taught the doctors much about how to handle the virus effectively, including how and when to deploy ventilators.

“When this first started, anyone who got really sick from a pulmonary pathway, we put them on a ventilator early. And we’ve learned that if we can keep them off the ventilator, they do much better,” McCarthy said, explaining that doctors had shifted to more “non-invasive ventilation” treatments, like BiPAP and CPAP machines, which are commonly used to treat sleep apnea.

In New York, an April study found that 88 percent of COVID patients who were put on a ventilator ultimately died. But Herlihy said that Baylor St. Luke’s has slashed its mortality rate from 23 percent overall on March to 9 percent in July, in part by changing its treatment strategy. He said that the hospital’s mortality rate for patients on ventilators is “somewhere in the 30 to 35 percent range.”

---------------

“Remdesivir barely works. It’s very weak in its effect, which is unfortunate,” Delgado said. “The convalescent plasma definitely works — very important. I’ve personally seen that saved many lives.”

“We have not seen a lot of success with plasma, we have done a lot of it. I can’t honestly tell you that it has been a ‘wow’-type treatment. I know that we are continue to use Remdesivir, even that, it has not been a life-saving medication, let me just put it that way,” Porsa added.

But across the board, doctors told National Review that the implementation of steroids such as Dexamethasone were helping — Delgado called the treatment a “game-changer.”

----------------

“All of that was overblown. We never even got close to capacity,” Delgado stated. “It’s just crazy. Crazy, crazy, out of control, overblown stuff. It’s fear, basically. It’s a fear-factor so the patients, particularly older patients, are afraid to death to do anything. There’s elderly people with chest pain staying at home and just dying, or coming in late — someone brings them in — they’ve already had a big heart attack. A lot of that is going on, and it’s really unsettling.”

“Hospitals are probably the safest place you can go to. If you’re worried about contracting coronavirus, hospitals are extremely safe — they’re safer than a grocery store, they’re safer than a restaurant,” McKeon added.

Some nice data points in this article to be aware of.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Posted on Facebook by Josh Pounders, Desoto County, MS Coroner:

This post is not to take away the importance of any life or life lost during the "covid 19" pandemic. I sympathize with any family who has lost a loved one however I also believe its important to report facts to the public.

In the month of July 2020 the Desoto County Coroners office completed reports and in the process of filing 144 deaths with the state of Mississippi. This is an average month in Desoto County

I normally dont publicly post specifics of the deaths each month out of respect for family privacy and HIPAA laws however I see on a daily basis in the last few months many facebook google experts and politicians with politically driven agendas driven by money reporting information that is twisted and false to the public.

These are your Facts for Desoto County in the month of July2020.
deaths and cause of death

cancer 30

congestive heart failure,heart disease,lung diseases,vascular disease,stroke, or the combination of more that one of these. 67

cirrohsis of liver 1

Infection or sepsis from a source of infection
such as Pneumonia 18

accidental trauma who passed away inside of Desoto County before reaching a hospital 0

Renal disease 2

Drug overdose 1

Possible drug related deaths pending toxicology results from
Ms Medical examiners office 5

Gastrointestinal complications (ex bowel obstruction, Gastrointestinal hemorrhage) 4

Alzheimers disease,Dementia,Parkinsons disease 16

Homicide 0

Total deaths investigated by Desoto County Coroners office in the month of July 2020= 144
These numbers include hospice deaths,hospital deaths,unexpected deaths in the home, and deaths of people who died before reaching a hospital to get medical care.

Deaths of people who had a + covid test result prior to or at the time of their death but does not necessarily mean covid was their primary cause of death 24 this number is included in the total number of deaths(144) above. All of the individuals who have died that were + for covid at some point have all had major medical problems prior to contracting covid. most of these deaths have been of people over the age of 75. Many of these covid deaths are of people who were on hospice care with a terminal diagnoses. Some of these deaths the person was + for covid but had no symptoms of covid prior to death but died of other medical problems. The department of health demands that these deaths be called a covid death and reports them as only that without reporting that many of them were terminal prior to a +test.

In my opininon this has lead to unnecessary fear in the public and caused stress to the citizens in this county and across this country.
The one thing that is drastically up is cardio/pulmonary deaths. I attribute this to 2 things: 1. Stress of the covid 19 pandemic. Stress causes high blood pressure and high blood pressure with heart disease or vascular disease cause heart attacks and strokes.
2. People see the false information politicians report to the world on the internet. They see what the news reporter who has no knowledge of what he is reporting broadcast to the world. They become scared to leave home and go to the hospitals for fear of a virus when they need medical care for a more serious condition and ultimately have a cardiac arrest at home.

Although anytime life is lost I consider it a tragedy and sympathize with that family. I however believe that public fear and the government reporting only partial information is misleading and should not be. Covid is real and we should protect the elderly who are frail however life for the average healthy majority must go on so that chaos in our community and across the country does not escalate and ultimately cause more deaths than any virus ever would.
thank you for your time
and the opportunity to serve
JP

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Posted on Facebook by Josh Pounders, Desoto County, MS Coroner:
That is an interesting article, but if pulmonary deaths are up, what about the issue of blood clotting and Covid-19? Some consider it a blood disease. I can post some links again. Maybe pulmonary and stroke deaths are up because of COVID-19.

Coronavirus May Be a Vascular Disease, Which Explains Everything | Elemental

What Is Known About COVID-19 and Abnormal Blood Clotting | Newsroom | Weill Cornell Medicine

Also, on determining cause of death.

article said:
For COVID-19, the immediate cause of death might be listed as respiratory distress, with the second line reading “due to COVID-19.” Contributing factors such as heart disease, diabetes or high blood pressure would then be listed further down. This has led to some confusion by people arguing that the “real” cause of death was heart disease or diabetes, Aiken said, but that’s not the case.
“Without the COVID19 being the last straw or the thing that led to the chain of events that led to death, they probably wouldn’t have died,” she said.
full link How COVID-19 Deaths Are Counted - Scientific American

Jaguar

Can you quit fucking around Javo and say what is on your mind?
Edit: Here, I'll do it for you - "Let's pretend the virus isn't really responsible for killing all these people."

but if pulmonary deaths are up, what about the issue of blood clotting and Covid-19?

If the doctor can connect the dots, like Dr. Varon in Houston, they'll administer the anticoagulant Heparin to keep the blood from clotting up and killing people.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1 out of every 1,929 people in this country have died from complications of coronavirus. If someone has cancer and they die faster than the cancer alone would have killed them - that's dying of complications from coronavirus. (Just like if someone with cancer gets in a fatal car crash, the cause of death will be the car crash, even if they only had 2 months left anyway). That's the number pulled from those who tested positive - the death count is actually 200k higher than it usually is for the past several months. And that's just death, it's not counting permanent organ damage or lingering impairments.

This is not the flu. That guy (from the video a few posts back) is not a virologist or an epidemiologist, he's a family practitioner. It's like watching a podiatrist get defensive because no one is taking his commentary about a brand new kind of cancer seriously, and it's weird that he is so convinced anyone should. If a brand new cancer surfaces, I'm placing my bets on the country's leading oncologists to have the best expert advice/opinion - not a senator with experience of being a podiatrist.

Jaguar

It's like an alcoholic who says, "I don't have a drinking problem." I mean seriously, what drives these people - fear of reality? Deal with it, people. It's fucking real. And it can wipe you off the map.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
1 out of every 1,929 people in this country have died from complications of coronavirus. If someone has cancer and they die faster than the cancer alone would have killed them - that's dying of complications from coronavirus. (Just like if someone with cancer gets in a fatal car crash, the cause of death will be the car crash, even if they only had 2 months left anyway). That's the number pulled from those who tested positive - the death count is actually 200k higher than it usually is for the past several months. And that's just death, it's not counting permanent organ damage or lingering impairments.

This is not the flu. That guy (from the video a few posts back) is not a virologist or an epidemiologist, he's a family practicioner. It's like watching a podiatrist get defensive because no one is taking his commentary about a brand new kind of cancer seriously, and it's weird that he is so convinced anyone should. If a brand new cancer surfaces, I'm placing my bets on the country's leading oncologists to have the best expert advice/opinion - not a senator with experience of being a podiatrist.

I had 7 union members with COVID at one hospital. One was an RN and her cancer was in remission late last year. She died last week, and she didn't work with patients, she was an administrator. This isn't the flu, this isn't make believe, this isn't something young people either won't get or won't have life long lasting impairments and damage from. I'm so fucking tired of these right wing dipshits and their medical "advice" pushed by the GOP or some questionable right wing publication, neither of which are epidemiologists, virologists or any other virus researcher.

There will be millions of Americans dead from this when it's all said and done. And these people think they deserve a pat on the back for wearing masks after refusing for months. The bare minimum.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
This graph here is for respiratory diseases deaths from 2018, 2019 and 2020, in different colors, for Brazil, the Corona utopia.

jxnzAbb.png

If people 'were going to die anyway', this disparity wouldnt be that big because flu would caught them - as flu was doing in the later two years.
Brazil had reached more than a 100k deaths, but its actually 150-200k.
People here are just acting as usual and as I predicted about 3 months ago: Not caring. I had learned to just accept this as it is.

You had recently changed your mind?
I mean, well, at least it seems that the grow doesnt seem exponential anymore, is that correct, [MENTION=4347]Virtual ghost[/MENTION]?

Last edited:

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I mean, well, at least it seems that the grow doesnt seem exponential anymore, is that correct, [MENTION=4347]Virtual ghost[/MENTION]?

She was always "COVID is serious problem" person.
Well, globally the rate is relatively similar lately. Although the deaths seem to be somewhat up.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I think maybe something is getting lost in translation here or you're confusing me with someone else? Or something. (I don't understand).

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

This is not the flu. That guy (from the video a few posts back) is not a virologist or an epidemiologist, he's a family practitioner. It's like watching a podiatrist get defensive because no one is taking his commentary about a brand new kind of cancer seriously, and it's weird that he is so convinced anyone should. If a brand new cancer surfaces, I'm placing my bets on the country's leading oncologists to have the best expert advice/opinion - not a senator with experience of being a podiatrist.
Good post. Also, this issue with blood clotting and strokes from coronavirus does make it possible for a person to be in a fatal car accident, but actually die of COVID-19 if they are positive and the autopsy shows evidence of a stroke happening around the time of the accident. I mention that more anomalous situation because it is often used as the most absurd example of a false COVID-19 death.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Judging by the numbers I see:

Mexico has about 6 to 7 thousands of new cases on average day, while in per capita it has only about 4% of US testing thus far.

On the other hand it seems that Luxembourg did more test than the number of it's citizens. (what is achievable in small but very rich countries).

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Most of these data points are posted in this thread, especially the stuff on steroids commonly given for lung issues from asthma to pneumonia for decades. Maybe look beyond The National Review for your health information? Or just read the things posted by others.

Half of the data points have been mentioned, but not the other. Mixing the other half in I thought would be a nice data-driven change of pace from the usual politically spun fear mongering that the bulk of this thread is rooted in. I wanted to make the point that you can take COVID seriously without thinking that the world is coming to an end. Science and evidence first.

Not sure what your point with this quote is, since it doesn't really add anything to the conversation. Other than I'm sure you don't like seeing the other data points I shared come to light because they aren't as patholcigially pessimistic as you.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I am sorry to say it but the world as we know it is indeed going towards it's end. If such claims where ever true they are true for the last few months.

First of the pandemic has completely and quickly disrupted global supply and demand to the point that was never seen. Since that is simply how out of control deadly pandemic effects people, they minimize spending. While on the other hand working in the businesses in usual fashion has also become quite a problem due to physical contacts. Especially if you don't want to overrun your local medical systems with the number of cases. Plus to make things worse the world is sitting on something like 270 TRILLION dollars of debt for which it is now kinda unclear how it will be paid back. Especially since the situation wasn't great even before this mess.

What does that means in practical sense? It means that in good amount of countries where food is being produced with hands are now facing even larger food shortages (or they simply don't have the money to buy it). Also in a number of countries/regions debt and social problems came to the point that there is no more working economy in real sense. Since the pandemic pushed them over the edge and now you have mass riots and what not. While no one really has the resources to put this under control. However with social collapses all over the map you are getting what are basically strokes all over the market and such areas surely can't produce normally or keep the normal flow of money and resources. What is simply choking global economy. Plus we have what is surely the largest disruption of formal education in world's history. Since schools and colleges can't function normally at all, especially the ones that offer concrete education that is more than office related stuff. I have seen numbers that in incoming academic year private universities all around the world will get crushed, because quite smaller percentage of people will start their collage education. Since many of those are coming from places that are a mess, some need savings for survival of this mess, scholarships are also quite limited this year. Similar is with tourism and everything that has something to do with hosting, the demand is simply completely crippled. The same works for performing and even sports for the most part. You simply can't really balance this with holding case numbers even remotely under control.

However this is where stuff get really political. Huge chunks of the world at least partially blame the one who was in charge the most, what is pretty evidently POTUS. Since from the start the cards should have been completely differently played and there should have been more preparation. Especially in the case that China isn't too transparent how all of this started. The whole economic system should have simply been stopped much earlier and before the whole map got completely covered with the virus (since now this will be a problem to clean up from every corner). While things are only getting worse further if you don't don't follow medical measures to contain the virus. For the start you can claim "I am sorry, I didn't know" but if this goes for months you can't really claim that anymore. Which is dangerous even if the virus doesn't kill you straight away, since it can cause all kinds of permanent health problems and boost medical spending through the roof. Therefore if you think that media houses all over the world aren't reporting on Trump's fights with global health authorities, allies and other countries over this you are simply wrong. You simply can't be the CEO as a country if your approval is in the toilet. Since employees will just quit and find something better to do in life.

Therefore all of this is possibly the biggest problem for the US itself. Since US is sitting on the top of that world that is currently in complete chaos. What is because that same chaos is quite likely to pull US down because the global foundations on which the country and the whole system are standing is seriously cracked all over the place. Both in emotional and practical sense. Not to mention that the sum of all public debt came to 153% of GDP and that is without fully calculated in slump, if I am not mistaken. Therefore if the end of the year will be as bad as some doctors think it is quite realistic that the system simply brakes globally. Since the global economic circulation is crippled and there is no much room for things to get worse and that they continue to work at least to some degree. In many parts of the world the situation was already quite critical and with this pandemic things evidently went over the top. To the point that normal survival is not longer possible. Therefore the world as we know it seem to be going towards it's end as it stands for now.