• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Coronavirus

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just think its amazing the extent to which Americans seem to have thought that this whole thing is a hoax, I mean did they seriously think the ENTIRE WORLD was trying to Punk them or something?

What ceecee said, and it seems like most people here don't pay attention to international news? Especially in rural areas. If they did, they'd discover that Trump really is a carnival barking clown to the rest of the world. In the small window I have (a couple people on Fb posting their opinions and like-minded friends chiming in on their posts - I can't say it's effectively representative of those on the right, but it's the only window I have), it's like they can say things like "The rest of the world is finally taking us seriously!" to each other - and because they're in an echo chamber, they actually believe it? I mean seriously, I've seen them say things like that and others show up to chime in about how great it is. It's so bizarre. I wish I had the patience to calmly ask for any news articles that gave them that impression - but it even seems kind of pointless to cultivate the patience for it because every attempt is just steamrolled by belligerent, cocksure blowhards showing up to forcefully declare how true it is (and how "anyone in their right mind can see how true it is" and whatnot - all without providing any substance to back it up).

And it's not that they thought anyone was trying to punk them so much as they think the left is playing a "dirty trick" by making the virus seem worse than it is - all to make Trump look bad. I'm pretty sure Trump has directly tweeted this, repeatedly, and they swallow it whole.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Give America some credit guys. It is probably more to do with the fact a lot of people don't even watch TV anymore, and if they do it is the local news. Local news is pretty chill about it, and only offers essential information. Most people don't spend their time reading tabloids or opinion peices all day. At best, they might see an article on Facebook. Not to mention, people are tuning out to not become horribly depressed about everything going on.

I know no one that thinks the virus is fake. Including anti-mask people. They believe that the numbers are a lie (the hoax), and there is some evidence to support this. Such as testing positive for Covid, with any coronavirus (a large group of viruses including the common cold) due to antibodies in your blood. It has also been discussed that hospitals are listing covid as cause of death to get more money, even if it didn't kill them. (Realistic loophole given the rapid time frame.) There are also prominent figures faking corona infection, as well as general fear mongering. So with a grain of salt, I assume the actual state of things is somewhere between concerning and not good.

Then the people who think the government is using this as a political tool have every right to believe that. Remember how they used 9/11 to legalize mass spying on American citizens? The do this more often than you think. There is no harm with keeping it in mind.

"In the midst of chaos, there is also opportunity." - The art of war.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
What ceecee said, and it seems like most people here don't pay attention to international news? Especially in rural areas. If they did, they'd discover that Trump really is a carnival barking clown to the rest of the world. In the small window I have (a couple people on Fb posting their opinions and like-minded friends chiming in on their posts - I can't say it's effectively representative of those on the right, but it's the only window I have), it's like they can say things like "The rest of the world is finally taking us seriously!" to each other - and because they're in an echo chamber, they actually believe it? I mean seriously, I've seen them say things like that and others show up to chime in about how great it is. It's so bizarre. I wish I had the patience to calmly ask for any news articles that gave them that impression - but it even seems kind of pointless to cultivate the patience for it because every attempt is just steamrolled by belligerent, cocksure blowhards showing up to forcefully declare how true it is (and how "anyone in their right mind can see how true it is" and whatnot - all without providing any substance to back it up).

And it's not that they thought anyone was trying to punk them so much as they think the left is playing a "dirty trick" by making the virus seem worse than it is - all to make Trump look bad. I'm pretty sure Trump has directly tweeted this, repeatedly, and they swallow it whole.

It's ALWAYS "the radical left". These people have no idea what that even is - it's just parroting Trump and his sycophants. Same people that use to say "the deep state" or "The Democrats/Nancy Pelosi/Chuck Shumer..." It's insane and I guarantee, a few years from now they will be like - "I dunno what I was thinking"....with absolutely zero responsibility for their actions.

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's ALWAYS "the radical left". These people have no idea what that even is - it's just parroting Trump and his sycophants. Same people that use to say "the deep state" or "The Democrats/Nancy Pelosi/Chuck Shumer..." It's insane and I guarantee, a few years from now they will be like - "I dunno what I was thinking"....with absolutely zero responsibility for their actions.

Maybe the sane ones. I'd be really surprised if the most far gone person on my Fb is ever really able to recognize reality again. Covid hasn't hit his little pocket of the world in rural Washington, so he's still hitting those hoax memes (about how stupid and gullible the 'sheep' are) as hard as he can, with the same handful of people very emphatically agreeing with him. I can't help but think he'd be toning it down at least a little bit by now if he were capable of hearing absolutely anything that disproved his worldview. (A part of why I haven't unfriended him is the reminder that this is what it looks like when someone isn't capable of processing contrary information).

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Supposedly Trump retweeted the top Tweet yesterday. Then hours later, Woolery's son was diagnosed.
7ffcf65a6cf4fb64af46b4ad470e613f.png

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Supposedly Trump retweeted the top Tweet yesterday. Then hours later, Woolery's son was diagnosed.

It's really hard for me not to just lol these clowns when they have to eat their words. And people who admire people who speak in such gross declarations of certainty (esp when it's such dumb assertions).

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member

Those types can't comprehend or empathize with anything that exists outside of their limited perspective. Sadly, it takes a significant event impacting them personally in order for them drop the conspiracy theorist rhetoric.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's really hard for me not to just lol these clowns when they have to eat their words. And people who admire people who speak in such gross declarations of certainty (esp when it's such dumb assertions).

On the bright side, they could have just withdrawn and tried to save face. If there was anyone who could crack the blockheads of the stubborn it's ones of their own fellow kind.

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He's not even eating his words. He posted another Tweet saying (something like), "To be clear, I never said covid was a hoax or a conspiracy, blah blah."

He said *everyone* is lying about covid because of the election, but he never claimed there was a conspiracy going on...

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
He's not even eating his words. He posted another Tweet saying (something like), "To be clear, I never said covid was a hoax or a conspiracy, blah blah."

He said *everyone* is lying about covid because of the election, but he never claimed there was a conspiracy going on...

Well, still, of the two quotes you posted, the tone is super different; the first arrogant and badass I-know-what's-really-going-on, the second more meek and lamenting those struggling. So much hypocrisy with messaging.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Give America some credit guys. It is probably more to do with the fact a lot of people don't even watch TV anymore, and if they do it is the local news. Local news is pretty chill about it, and only offers essential information. Most people don't spend their time reading tabloids or opinion peices all day. At best, they might see an article on Facebook. Not to mention, people are tuning out to not become horribly depressed about everything going on.

Yeap, but that is more of a explanation than real proof of "innocence". All of this is exactly what I had in mind when I made my comment. Since modern digital culture that was founded in US tolerates complete intellectual laziness with ease. However the thing is that people who don't deal with reality, the reality deals with them. I didn't make this rule but that is just how it is. Reading tabloids and FB is mostly a waste of time that doesn't do much. Instead it is better to read something more complex like a genuine book on the subject or join some local good cause then waste time on this. The whole thing got depressing in the first place exactly because most didn't want to go deeper into the problem(s). What means that not enough foundations were placed to hold the whole structure or vote out the right people. The current world order is simply too ruthless that you can just be "whatever" most of the time. Since usually the realty will quickly catch up with you regardless if you are paying attention. That is why it is called reality.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Those types can't comprehend or empathize with anything that exists outside of their limited perspective. Sadly, it takes a significant event impacting them personally in order for them drop the conspiracy theorist rhetoric.

I don't even think that works in a lot of cases.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Mad Hatter said:
It's not that these people want to shut down the economy to kill it or anything like that, it's about getting out of the situation with the least possible damage to the people and the economy. I'm positive that experts in the US have done the very same calculations and based their recommendations on them.

If these people truly wanted the least possible damage to people, they would've condemned all the "protests" and looting/rioting a month ago. I didn't hear politicians tell the protestors to social distance, put on masks, or stay home.

Lark

If these people truly wanted the least possible damage to people, they would've condemned all the "protests" and looting/rioting a month ago. I didn't hear politicians tell the protestors to social distance, put on masks, or stay home.

A lot of them did, I know I did, Tellenbach this isnt a hoax and its killed people who've believed that already.

Keep safe man and come out the other side. Debate whether or not you've really got any obligations to anyone else or if there's such thing as society then. Right now just look after yourself.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
CDC is counting both confirmed, and probable (not lab tested) cases/deaths of Covid. Wouldn't that make the numbers pretty stupid high even though a lot were not confirmed to be actually covid? This is on top of of the fact the covid tests were scrambled together, and have a high error margin, due to flagging positive on other corona viruses. Antibody tests for example, are error-prone. How are they even testing for Covid? The amount of variances due to these error margins is emmense. No wonder people think it's bullshit. We might just be flipping out over flu deaths mixed in with Corona. It would explain why there are "Asymptomatics" that were said to be rare spreading it around.