• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Coronavirus

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm glad that people in the US is starting to take this seriously. Might be too late, but better now than later.

Exactly. I took a hot bath and listened to some Kenny G so I should he good. If I feel like things are getting dire, I'll eat an orange.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm glad that people in the US is starting to take this seriously. Might be too late, but better now than later.
Um....I have taken it seriously from the beginning

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP
Ok so I am am enneagram 6 preparing for catastrophe at all times. I am in a high risk group due to serious asthma and to a lesser extent due to age. Anyone want to take this over If meet my demise :shock: .

Send details via PM and let me know why you would be a good candidate. I will leave a legacy of reasonable financial support.
I know it is all very unlikely but best to be prepared :)

I wouldn't take over TypoC for any amount of money. I don't know anything about programming, and I hate management positions. (I hate herding cats.)

But I just wanted to say that you have my respect for the investment you've made into TypoC these past years, and also for the foresight and responsibility you're currently demonstrating by setting up a successor procedure for emergencies. I'm quite sure a successor won't be necessary, but I'm impressed by your forethought and discretion in putting the procedure in place just in case.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Um....I have taken it seriously from the beginning

They should have put you in charge of managing the crisis (no sarcasm)

Here in Asia people have been panicking from day one, businesses have preemptively arranged work-from-home programs and most events immediately cancelled or postponed. Major universities led this, and big businesses followed, then smaller businesses, and then the government followed.

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP
8 billion divided with the 320 million Americans should be 25$ per person. It will help but I am not sure this is a winning move.
Especially since the key is in attitude, not money.

:shrug:

I don't think it's a per-person hand-out. From the article:

The bill will fund the development of vaccines, medications to treat the disease and diagnostic tests all while helping state and local governments -- and foreign governments -- fight the coronavirus, which causes a disease officially known as COVID-19.

That stuff needs to be done, and it costs money. Gotta start somewhere.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I don't think it's a per-person hand-out of the sort that you're suggesting. From the article:

Of course it isn't, but if we count in the potential problems that can come out of this 8 billion is pocket change. Plus who will pay the vaccine and treatment for the poor sick and uninsured, 25$ will not to it for sure. The bomb simply isn't diffused. He should have placed at least 80 million in this.

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP
Of course it isn't, but if we count in the potential problems that can come out of this 8 billion is pocket change. Plus who will pay the vaccine and treatment for the poor sick and uninsured, 25$ will not to it for sure. The bomb simply isn't diffused. He should have placed at least 80 million in this.

I'm sure there will be more funding as the problem continues to expand.

Anyway, the spending bill came out of Congress. Congress controls the budget, so it's pretty much on Congress to come up with the money as needed. The President basically just signs off on it.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I'm sure there will be more funding as the problem continues to expand.

Anyway, the spending bill came out of Congress. Congress controls the budget, so it's pretty much on Congress to come up with the money as needed. The President basically just signs off on it.

Perhaps but American politics is full of people overriding each others decisions. In general I wouldn't say anything but American politics and especially GOP has the tendency to trivialize medical and scientific problems. Therefore the congress are not saints either.

The problem is that society as a hole has about 75 trillion in various debts and generally bad "blood picture". Therefore if this virus starts an avalanche there will be a real "shit hit the fan" country wide. Which will surely spill on global issues. Therefore if you have spent 8 trillion just on Iraq I think this is worth more money and effort than politicians in general are showing.

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP
Perhaps but American politics is full of people overriding each others decisions. In general I wouldn't say anything but American politics and especially GOP has the tendency to trivialize medical and scientific problems. Therefore the congress are not saints either.

The problem is that society as a hole has about 75 trillion in various debts and generally bad "blood picture". Therefore if this virus starts an avalanche there will be a real "shit hit the fan" country wide. Which will surely spill on global issues. Therefore if you have spent 8 trillion just on Iraq I think this is worth more money and effort than politicians in general are showing.

Whatever. Remember, the coronavirus hasn't really taken hold in the US yet. There really isn't anything to spend money on at this point, other than research and the needs of a few hot spots around the country. Once there's a need for big money, I'm sure they'll throw the necessary money at it.

Also, keep in mind that it's an election year. Trump's re-election prospects are going to ride on how well the government responds to this crisis, so I expect he'll be more than happy to throw any amount of money at it to show he's on top of it. And Congress is pretty much in the same boat. (The entire House and 1/3 of the Senate are up for re-election.)

Ultimately, I don't think money is going to be an issue. Basically, the article is just saying: "We're on top of it, we're already throwing money at it." And there's no reason to think that they're suddenly going to stop the spending, especially in an election year. Of course, it's still to be seen how much the government can really *do* about the situation...

In a way, the timing of this crisis is perfect in terms of getting a good response from government. US government officials will all be on their best behavior in the interests of getting re-elected come November.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Whatever. Remember, the coronavirus hasn't really taken hold in the US yet. There really isn't anything to spend money on at this point, other than research and the needs of a few hot spots around the country. Once there's a need for big money, I'm sure they'll throw the necessary money at it.

Also, keep in mind that it's an election year. Trump's presidency is going to ride on how well the government responds to this crisis, so I expect he'll be more than happy to throw any amount of money at it to show he's on top of it. And Congress is pretty much in the same boat. (The entire House and 1/3 of the Senate is up for re-election.)

Ultimately, I don't think money is going to be an issue. Basically, the article is just saying: "We're on top of it, we're already throwing money at it." And there's no reason to think that they're going to stop the spending, especially in an election year.

Wrong, when it takes hold it will already be too late. Since that means that the economy will be severely disturbed for sure.

There is plenty to do, research, preparing quarantines, testing suspicious people, trying to prevent global spread of the virus through WHO and similar initiatives. Now and through past month it is the time to fight this. Once you have 200 000 infected living their lives around the country it is basically too late. This is exactly why treatment in USA is so expensive since you approach it in reactive way rather than preventive. Maybe you will get lucky with all of this but that isn't really the strategic approach.

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP
Wrong, when it takes hold it will already be too late. Since that means that the economy will be severely disturbed for sure.

There is plenty to do, research, preparing quarantines, testing suspicious people, trying to prevent global spread of the virus through WHO and similar initiatives. Now and through past month it is the time to fight this. Once you have 200 000 infected living their lives around the country it is basically too late. This is exactly why treatment in USA is so expensive since you approach it in reactive way rather than preventive. Maybe you will get lucky with all of this but that isn't really the strategic approach.

I'm not saying that the size of the package is ideal. Sure, one can take a cynical approach and insist that it's not enough, no matter how big they make the package. For the cynics, no amount is ever going to be big enough.

But the members of Congress have put their heads together and come up with this package for now. Meantime it's an election year, and I'm quite sure there will be more forthcoming later as the need increases. It is what it is. I don't imagine that Congress is deliberately plotting to kill off American citizens through stinginess.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I'm not saying that the size of the package is ideal. Sure, one can take a cynical approach and insist that it's not enough, no matter how big they make the package. For the cynics, no amount is ever going to be enough.

But Congress has put its heads together and come up with this package for now. And it's an election year, and I'm quite sure there will be more forthcoming later as the need increases. It is what it is. I don't imagine that Congress is deliberately plotting to kill off American citizens through stinginess.

Well that is the all I am really saying "the package doesn't seem sufficient". There are already hundreds of confirmed cases across the country and from that point it is very easy to spread this "shit". Nothing, we will pretty quickly see where all of this will go.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Please cancel major gatherings already!

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
It is almost dark humor how on every map of the global infection Africa is clear "winner" in containing this.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Yeah, but only until you add other viruses. :newwink:

The point behind sarcasm was that down there probably no one is even monitoring this.
There is no way that this bypassed Africa this much, especially due to strong economic connections to China.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
The point behind sarcasm was that down there probably no one is even monitoring this.
There is no way that this bypassed Africa this much, especially due to strong economic connections to China.

The same goes for similar regions: like certain parts of Latin America or Central Asia.