• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Coronavirus

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The point behind sarcasm was that down there probably no one is even monitoring this.
There is no way that this bypassed Africa this much, especially due to strong economic connections to China.

Yeah Africa is probably being fucked, and no one is even looking at them or caring.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Yeah Africa is probably being fucked, and no one is even looking at them or caring.

But that is just on global perspective. However every community that has bad healthcare or is generally poor or elderly is likely to be hit hard by the pandemic.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
But that is just on global perspective. However every community that has bad healthcare or is generally poor or elderly is likely to be hit hard by the pandemic.

Right. That's large amount of the US, except that no one believes you when you say that. Especially people in the US.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Right. That's large amount of the US, except that no one believes you when you say that. Especially people in the US.

That really wasn't aimed at USA. But I guess that works in many cases//states.

In other words here in Europe we have potential "bomb" known as Italy. That pretty well fits named profile and already is one of the world's hot spots.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
That really wasn't aimed at USA. But I guess that works in many cases//states.

In other words here in Europe we have potential "bomb" known as Italy. That pretty well fits named profile and already is one of the world's hot spots.

I saw something about their calls for help not being answered but beyond that, I haven't seen more on Italy and the epidemic.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I saw something about their calls for help not being answered but beyond that, I haven't seen more on Italy and the epidemic.

Well Italy is basically the sick man of Europe that even Eastern members outperform in many things, plus when it comes to average age it is one of oldest nations in the world. My local news just said they reached 5000 cases. Also a few posts back there are world maps on the issue and Italy in all of them is globally at the top.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I don't think it's a per-person hand-out. From the article:

That stuff needs to be done, and it costs money. Gotta start somewhere.

Money was never the issue. The issue is -as always- the incompetence, greed, and utterly ineffectual bureaucracy which permeates everything this country ( probably any 1st world) attempts.

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP
Money was never the issue. The issue is -as always- the incompetence, greed, and utterly ineffectual bureaucracy which permeates everything this country ( probably any 1st world) attempts.

Well, sure. It's taken for granted that whenever government tries to throw vast amounts of taxpayer money at social problems, said government spending will be attended by a certain amount of waste, inefficiency, and outright fraud. That's pretty much the nature of bureaucracies and government spending, even at the best of times.

But what's your point? That the government shouldn't be spending *any* money to try to counter the coronavirus threat?

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Well, sure. It's taken for granted that whenever government tries to throw vast amounts of taxpayer money at social problems, said government spending will be attended by a certain amount of waste, inefficiency, and outright fraud. That's pretty much the nature of bureaucracies and government spending, even at the best of times.

But what's your point? That the government shouldn't be spending *any* money to try to counter the coronavirus threat?

It should not be the first and only solution.

Here we have people basically raiding Costcos for bottled water and anti-bacterial soap because as usual, they are too busy panicking to engage their brains.

Okay, so, the toilet paper and frozen pizzas are because they don’t want to leave the house? Well, okay I guess ( of course everyone staying home and not doing their job will destroy society far quicker than a damned virus) but the bottled water is becauuuse they do not have running water at home?

And of course, the very basic idea of viral=/=bacterial.

There was that quarantine hotel in China which collapse and killed a bunch of people.

At the moment people are throwing a fucking fit over having a quarantine hotel nearby -because of course they are.

Hell, my Dialysis center which is so over-the top with the germaphobic that nearly everyone agrees their plastic waste will kill us far quicker than the germs they’re terrified of, is even getting fed up with the shit. “ Just wash your hands, don’t cough on people and see a Dr if you have symptoms.”

We need to focus on education and communication. Throwing all the money in the world will do nothing to save a bunch of panicking dipshits engaging in mass hysteria.

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP
^^^ You'll get no argument from me on any of those points.

I suspect that the government's new spending bill for the coronavirus probably has some money allocated for public information and education campaigns. For example, on how to practice better hygiene, what to do if people think they're coming down with the flu, etc. That's pretty standard on these kinds of spending bills. We'll probably start seeing government PSAs (public service announcements) start appearing on TV and social media on some of those topics.

But in any case, yeah, I agree with you. More needs to be done to educate the public in coming days and weeks. Otherwise a lot of people will tend to get spooked and run around like chickens with their heads cut off.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
It should not be the first and only solution.

Here we have people basically raiding Costcos for bottled water and anti-bacterial soap because as usual, they are too busy panicking to engage their brains.

Okay, so, the toilet paper and frozen pizzas are because they don’t want to leave the house? Well, okay I guess ( of course everyone staying home and not doing their job will destroy society far quicker than a damned virus) but the bottled water is becauuuse they do not have running water at home?

And of course, the very basic idea of viral=/=bacterial.

There was that quarantine hotel in China which collapse and killed a bunch of people.

At the moment people are throwing a fucking fit over having a quarantine hotel nearby -because of course they are.

Hell, my Dialysis center which is so over-the top with the germaphobic that nearly everyone agrees their plastic waste will kill us far quicker than the germs they’re terrified of, is even getting fed up with the shit. “ Just wash your hands, don’t cough on people and see a Dr if you have symptoms.”

We need to focus on education and communication. Throwing all the money in the world will do nothing to save a bunch of panicking dipshits engaging in mass hysteria.

What I would like to know is - Why didn't they (the US) start testing when the World Health Organization had a test? In January? Very late for education but come on, proactivity is not the US's strong suit when it comes to health related things.

I'm not going to get on people freaking out. This epidemic is bad but you mix the breathtaking incompetence of this federal administration and the lack of planning plus the resources at state and local levels are already overextended, like Michigan where there has been a flu outbreak for months. What do you do? I cut people a little slack and help where I can. I was just at a DSA meeting and we are getting supplies together for whoever needs them in this area. :shrug:

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Isn't it your civic duty to help prevent the spread of diseases? It's not about whether you're gonna get it as an individual, but about people acting in the public's interest. I know it's a bit hard to conceptualize, but everyone is a part of statistics, and statistics have shown that preventive measures work on a mass scale. It's like the whole my vote won't change the outcome mentality.
It is unbelievable events are still going on. Did we learn nothing from the Philadelphia parade in 1918?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Isn't it your civic duty to help prevent the spread of diseases? It's not about whether you're gonna get it as an individual, but about people acting in the public's interest. I know it's a bit hard to conceptualize, but everyone is a part of statistics, and statistics have shown that preventive measures work on a mass scale. It's like the whole my vote won't change the outcome mentality.
It is unbelievable events are still going on. Did we learn nothing from the Philadelphia parade in 1918?

Of course but when you have a group of people that claiming they have been forced to care about things that they don't care about, this sort of thing is the outcome.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
A great many public restrooms don't use paper towels anymore. They use those blow-drying machines. These machines suck in air from the restroom and then blow it out onto your hands. Studies have already found that these machines deposit fecal coliforms on people's hands. Wouldn't these machines also spread viruses that are circulating in the air?

I'd suggest everyone carry around some paper towels to dry your hands in public restrooms. The public health officials aren't paying attention to how this thing can be spread. You can wash your hands all you want, but if the blow-drying machine is contaminated, it's not going to do any good.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I always have a package of wet anti-bacterial wipes with me (which costs almost nothing). You never know when you will need to wash you hands in "the public" and they lower greatly "interactions" in the public toilets. Traveling has thought me how useful this can be as the method.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I always have a package of wet anti-bacterial wipes with me (which costs almost nothing). You never know when you will need to wash you hands in "the public" and they lower greatly "interactions" in the public toilets. Traveling has thought me how useful this can be as the method.

Anti-bacterial wipes dont work on corona virus. Unless it is just anti-microbial.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Anti-bacterial wipes dont work on corona virus. Unless it is just anti-microbial.

Yes, but if you clean this way you have to touch much less things in the public toilets. Which generally are a good place to catch all kinds of diseases.

It isn't the greatest measure but it can't really do you harm.