• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Coronavirus

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Quite the day in terms of numbers, all over. Whee. :dry:

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is nuts. I can't believe Florida might be ahead of Illinois by tomorrow (and if it isn't, will definitely be by Monday). Worldometer site.

480399daa43004c7ea83f381b1d3bf97.png

Florida and Texas both have skyrocketed this week.
I wonder how they're protecting assisted living facilities. These cases are mostly younger people, which is why the fatalities count remains so much lower. But it's going to get progressively more difficult to keep it away from the older population.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This is nuts. I can't believe Florida might be ahead of Illinois by tomorrow (and if it isn't, will definitely be by Monday). Worldometer site.

480399daa43004c7ea83f381b1d3bf97.png

Florida and Texas both have skyrocketed this week.
I wonder how they're protecting assisted living facilities. These cases are mostly younger people, which is why the fatalities count remains so much lower. But it's going to get progressively more difficult to keep it away from the older population.

Don't worry. Florida and Texas are the gold standard.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Most of the new cases in Florida are in younger age groups where the virus won't do much harm. The fatality rate among those under 30 with no underlying conditions is essentially zero. This pandemic is winding down; just look at the daily deaths chart. The reason why the news media is focusing on "new cases" rather than "daily deaths" is because they want the lock-downs to continue because they fear an economic recovery.

Btw, Illinois had 26 deaths today; Florida has 26 deaths today despite Florida having 9 million more people than Illinois.

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why ? What makes this so hard to believe ?

Just curious about the choice of words.

I've been paying attention to the difference between states for weeks, and though I can't recall the specific numbers - I'm pretty sure both Florida and Texas were well below 50k cases until last week. I clearly remember thinking every time I checked "Well at least they'll never catch up to us" (Chicago). And boom, less than a week later, here we are.

I guess I kinda figured, since they aren't as packed in together as New York or Chicago, it couldn't hit them as hard. Especially in Texas, those folks are spread out. So yeah, I'm surprised.

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Also surprised to find this at OAN: Report: Houston Hospitals Almost Overrun By COVID-19 Patients

I noticed it as an Fb post, and the comments were a mixed bag with a basic theme of "I'm so disappointed in OAN for this, I guess there really isn't ANY media that can be trusted." It's so bizarre that THIS is the story they don't trust (when OAN pushes so much actual batshit propaganda).

(Notice the weird combination of laughing/sad emoticons).

f37910b8d3bc55e33bcff58a43ffebf9.png

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Also surprised to find this at OAN: Report: Houston Hospitals Almost Overrun By COVID-19 Patients

I noticed it as an Fb post, and the comments were a mixed bag with a basic theme of "I'm so disappointed in OAN for this, I guess there really isn't ANY media that can be trusted." It's so bizarre that THIS is the story they don't trust (when OAN pushes so much actual batshit propaganda).

(Notice the weird combination of laughing/sad emoticons).

f37910b8d3bc55e33bcff58a43ffebf9.png

I live in Houston...it's bad.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
US - worldometer

It looks as new daily records for California and Texas.
When all comes in this could even be the new record day for the whole country.

EDIT: new day just started. Check the states individually.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
US - worldometer

It turned as the second worst day on the record. However today again there are once again pretty good odds of new record. Because many states have a bad day. Georgia and Arizona are pretty clear new records from what I see.

People seriously needs to do more on personal protection regardless of what some politicians say. Since this wouldn't end well.

Z Buck McFate

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

What's it like there, in regard to whether people are listening to precautions? Were people wearing masks before the escalation in cases and are they wearing them now?

Here in NW Indiana (1 hour outside Chicago) very few people are wearing masks. Most stores aren't even trying to enforce it, just leaving "Face masks recommended" signs at the door. But the few stores that do enforce it aren't getting met with hostile reactions like other parts of the country. I suspect it's because NW Indiana is a big mostly Democratic pocket in an otherwise very red state, and if I were to venture further south I might find aggressive anti-maskers. Especially since Indiana is still really low on the infection scale.

(I'm not sure when/how I got the impression that Houston itself leans Democratic - does it? Or maybe I'm thinking of Austin?)

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What's it like there, in regard to whether people are listening to precautions? Were people wearing masks before the escalation in cases and are they wearing them now?

Here in NW Indiana (1 hour outside Chicago) very few people are wearing masks. Most stores aren't even trying to enforce it, just leaving "Face masks recommended" signs at the door. But the few stores that do enforce it aren't getting met with hostile reactions like other parts of the country. I suspect it's because NW Indiana is a big mostly Democratic pocket in an otherwise very red state, and if I were to venture further south I might find aggressive anti-maskers. Especially since Indiana is still really low on the infection scale.

(I'm not sure when/how I got the impression that Houston itself leans Democratic - does it? Or maybe I'm thinking of Austin?)

Are you around the Gary area, then?

Austin is definitely the most liberal of the Texas cities, for sure, but Houston's shifted dramatically in the last few years. Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio have all trended more Democratic as people from out of state move to Texas and the suburbs grow increasingly disaffected with the Republican Party. That being said, our large cities are still more conservative compared to NYC, LA, etc.

We have family friends who work in the hospitals, and they describe it as being hit by a tsunami. For every person you see wearing a mask, you'll find one or two not wearing a mask. It's incredibly stupid and frustrating, but even more so that our County Judge, Lina Hidalgo, is receiving needless hate that I'd conjecture she wouldn't were she not Latina. I love Houston, but some Houstonians are making me disappointed in my city.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member

:cheers:

It's both an honor and a privilege to have you aboard our local coronavirus Oregon Trail, where we continue to press on westward bound via remaining opened while kicking out every child who gets dysentery along the way. Who cares if one of our oxen drowned while attempting to ford the river while the other has been trekking on for over 300 miles with a leg abscess the size of a baseball? Press forward, my brothers and sister!

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Internal Messages Reveal Crisis at Houston Hospitals as Coronavirus Cases Surge — ProPublica

Texas Lt. Gov Patrick blasts Anthony Fauci over coronavirus | Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Dan Patrick needs a fist to the face for every idiot thing he's said to this point.

This is a Republican state, run by Republicans. Voters in Texas may want to consider voting for people not Republican. They always had total disregard for human life, they're just admitting it freely now.

Trust me when I say, as a Texan, I share that sentiment about Dan Patrick lmao

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:cheers:

It's both an honor and a privilege to have you aboard our local coronavirus Oregon Trail, where we continue to press on westward bound via remaining opened while kicking out every child who gets dysentery along the way. Who cares if one of our oxen drowned while attempting to ford the river while the other has been trekking on for over 300 miles with a leg abscess the size of a baseball? Press forward, my brothers and sister!

Thank you, I'm honored to join you on your quest of petulant selfishness and science-denial! What do these "elites" know with their facts and evidence? We the people, who value our "freedoms" (while ignoring the reason Americans are more financially fucked than other OECD nations is because of science-denial and a poor safety net, not the lockdown) must give the middle finger to all who get in our way of strutting around the beach as if all is normal.

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
US - worldometer

EDIT: new day just started. Check the states individually.

All seriousness, I rag on the idiocy of governance of Republicans in Texas, but it's not completely partisan for sure. From what I hear, the new spike in California is provoked by people in more suburban areas like Huntington Beach, Orange County, and the surrounding suburbs of the Bay Area (which are 50-50 Dem and Republican), but it can happen in states with more left-leaning governance for sure. That being said, the current spike is definitely hitting red states a lot harder than blue states.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank you, I'm honored to join you on your quest of petulant selfishness and science-denial! What do these "elites" know with their facts and evidence? We the people, who value our "freedoms" (while ignoring the reason Americans are more financially fucked than other OECD nations is because of science-denial and a poor safety net, not the lockdown) must give the middle finger to all who get in our way of strutting around the beach as if all is normal.

I drink a daily serum of pureed red meat, Budweiser, and bald eagle urine to protect me again the 'rona. All I ask is that if those commie covid bastards with their aerosol spores and their liberal agendas do come for me, let my ventilator have both the American flag sticker and the Make Russia America Great Again logo.

/s

Real story: a bunch of people at my job have tested positive. I'm kinda shit scared but I'm choosing to live by the memes and die by the memes with my disposable mask on and with a tube of hand sanitizer attached to my waist as if it were my Batman utility belt.