• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Coronavirus

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
California +4900 new cases. New daily record and not all data is in for today
Texas +3900, possible new record
Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, Washington - one of the the worst days in weeks

Army +840

+29300 for the whole country. What will surely spill over 30 thousand in the end.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Dang. Texas is going to have more confirmed cases than Illinois in a couple days. That's no small feat. eta: And they've only tested a bit more than half the percentage of residents Illinois has tested - so they almost certainly already have more cases.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Dang. Texas is going to have more confirmed cases than Illinois in a couple days. That's no small feat. eta: And they've only tested a bit more than half the percentage of residents Illinois has tested - so they almost certainly already have more cases.

And this. I mean.....:fpalm:

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott urges people to stay home as coronavirus surges | The Texas Tribune

Re-corking the bottle, when you have a state full of people who's idiocy you have nurtured and coddled the entire time, almost impossible and pointless.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm

Well, towards worldometer at least they have double the number of active cases than the Illinois. What more important number in practical sense. Plus over the last two days the record of new daily cases is broken twice. With over 5000 new cases each day. California also has double record and even worse numbers. The whole USA yesterday had +36000, the number not seen since the early days of the pandemic.

For the whole world yesterday was +163 000, the second worst day on the record.
Italy fell bellow 20 000 active cases.

However I don't get Mexico, they constantly have 5 to 6 thousands of new cases a day, but active cases don't get over 25 000. Towards this they are probably world champions in recovery. What indicates BS of some kind in the mix.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Interested to hear [MENTION=20113]Tellenbach[/MENTION]'s perspective on this, since he views Texas as a model of success for other states to follow.

New cases in Illinois, on the other hand, have dropped way down, according to this.

Compare Texas and Illinois on that graph and it's a very different picture. I can't help but think Texas could have prevented that spike if they had took more preventative measures. They had ample time to prepare by observing what was going on in other states where cases spiked earlier due to greater population density, but they just chose to attribute it to the damn Democrat party. The increase in Illinois was also very gradual, whereas the curve in Texas is very sharp.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
New records:

India: +16 800
Mexico: +6200
Ukraine: +940
Iraq: +2200
Kazakhstan: +530
Guatemala: +770
Azerbaijan: +590
Kyrgyzstan: +207

Many are close to their record day.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
EVu7rrSXsAELqQu.png

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Here's a funny but sad little anecdote -

I'm thankful my city is still 'requiring' folks to wear face masks within stores; maybe more accurately put, stores can choose to enforce this. I work at a store that does, but if someone doesn't have a mask we still offer to take their order outside. This morning a customer came in without a mask, I asked him if he had one and he said no, and I said I could take his order outside. So we stepped out, and he made some sort of predictable pooh pooh comment about it, and I casually replied, well, things are worsening again throughout the country, and I think one reason our state is doing ok atm (relative to other states) is in part due to the mask requirements. His response was priceless -- 'Well we don't have to wear them where I am from, in Arizona'. My internal thought was... 'uhhhhh...... :unsure:', but I didn't say anything else and chose to just take his order. :laugh:

rav3n

This info should be passed around. No one's safe from the negative impacts of C19, regardless of age or health condition. Wear a mask, regardless of age or health condition. Social distance and isolate too.

Mounting clues suggest the coronavirus might trigger diabetes

Mounting clues suggest the coronavirus might trigger diabetes

Evidence from tissue studies and some people with COVID-19 shows that the virus damages insulin-producing cells.

In mid-April, Finn Gnadt, an 18-year-old student from Kiel, Germany, learnt that he had been infected with the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus despite feeling well. Gnadt’s parents had fallen ill after a river cruise in Austria, so his family was tested for virus antibodies, which are produced in response to infection.

Gnadt thought he had endured the infection unscathed, but days later, he started to feel worn out and exceedingly thirsty. In early May, he was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, and his physician, Tim Hollstein at the University Hospital Schleswig-Holstein in Kiel, suggested that the sudden onset might be linked to the viral infection.

In most people with type 1 diabetes, the body’s immune cells start destroying β-cells — which are responsible for producing the hormone insulin — in the pancreas, often suddenly. In Gnadt’s case, Hollstein suspected that the virus had destroyed his β-cells, because his blood didn’t contain the types of immune cells that typically damage the pancreatic islets where the β-cells live.

Diabetes is already known to be a key risk factor for developing severe COVID-191 and people with the condition are more likely to die2. “Diabetes is dynamite if you get COVID-19,” says Paul Zimmet, who studies the metabolic disease at Monash University in Melbourne, Australia.

Now Zimmet is among a growing number of researchers who think that diabetes doesn’t just make people more vulnerable to the coronavirus, but that the virus might also trigger diabetes in some3. “Diabetes itself is a pandemic just like the COVID-19 pandemic. The two pandemics could be clashing,” he says.

Growing evidence

Their hunch is based on a handful of people such as Gnadt, who have spontaneously developed diabetes4 after being infected with SARS-CoV-2, and on evidence from dozens more people with COVID-19 who have arrived in hospital with extremely high levels of blood sugar and ketones5, which are produced from fatty deposits in the liver. When the body doesn’t make enough insulin to break down sugar, it uses ketones as an alternative source of fuel. “In science, sometimes you have to start off with very small evidence to chase a hypothesis,” says Zimmet.

Researchers cite other evidence, too. Various viruses, including the one that causes severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS), have been linked with autoimmune conditions such as type 1 diabetes6. And many organs involved in controlling blood sugar are rich in a protein called ACE2, which SARS-CoV-2 uses to infect cells7.

The latest clue comes from an experimental study in miniature lab-grown pancreases published last week8 suggests that the virus might trigger diabetes by damaging the cells that control blood sugar.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Julius_Van_Der_Beak said:
Interested to hear @Tellenbach's perspective on this, since he views Texas as a model of success for other states to follow.

The only important statistic is the number of deaths/million. Texas has 79 deaths/million. New York has 1,611 deaths/million. It's no comparison. This disease can be largely managed by protecting the nursing homes and the elderly and urging people to take Vitamin D, C, and zinc. The lock-downs are a stupid idea.

The reason why Democrat run states are doing so much worse is because Democrats refused to treat patients with hydroxychloroquine; they put their Trump Derangment feelings ahead of the well-being of patients.

rav3n

The only important statistic is the number of deaths/million. Texas has 79 deaths/million. New York has 1,611 deaths/million. It's no comparison. This disease can be largely managed by protecting the nursing homes and the elderly and urging people to take Vitamin D, C, and zinc. The lock-downs are a stupid idea.

The reason why Democrat run states are doing so much worse is because Democrats refused to treat patients with hydroxychloroquine; they put their Trump Derangment feelings ahead of the well-being of patients.
Stop spreading lies.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Illinois has already hit its peak. I suspect Texas hasn't. Certainly, the trend line isn't pointing downwards. The growth rate is much more rapid than it was in Illinois.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
A great number of deaths are in nursing homes. Why didn't the public health donkeys do more, a lot more to protect them? Why did Governors Cuomo and Whitmer force nursing homes to take in Covid-19 patients? Why are the worst states all run by Democrats? (New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Michigan, Illinois)

Why was hydroxychloroquine given to only 23% of patients in the USA and in the later stages of the disease when it was already too late. Stop protecting these incompetent assholes.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

lol

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Illinois has already hit its peak. I suspect Texas hasn't. Certainly, the trend line isn't pointing downwards. The growth rate is much more rapid than it was in Illinois.

The stats also don't distinguish between actual Texans and New Yorkers visiting Texas and getting sick. The upward tick in new cases/deaths would be concerning if they weren't in nursing homes. I suspect that a great number of deaths are in nursing homes and if that is the case, then it means that nursing home administrators still haven't gotten a handle on how to control the disease.

As for me, I don't know a single person who has coronavirus. This bug has a fatality rate of only 0.23%. The whole government response has been stupid, overblown, mishandled about as bad as Cuomoly possible.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The stats also don't distinguish between actual Texans and New Yorkers visiting Texas and getting sick. The upward tick in new cases/deaths would be concerning if they weren't in nursing homes. I suspect that a great number of deaths are in nursing homes and if that is the case, then it means that nursing home administrators still haven't gotten a handle on how to control the disease.

As for me, I don't know a single person who has coronavirus. This bug has a fatality rate of only 0.23%. The whole government response has been stupid, overblown, mishandled about as bad as Cuomoly possible.

Oh my god, your defense is now "the people in those stats getting sick aren't actually Texans, they're Democrats visiting from out of state." As for Cuomo, the way he handled things is of no interest to me, in Illinois. I'm pleased with the way my governor has handled the situation. I can't really speak for "Democrat" governors of other states, since it's not something I've followed at all.

I suppose because the sources you get your talking points from are all New York based, you don't have any for the governor of Illinois.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
As for Cuomo, the way he handled is of no interest to me, in Illinois. I'm pleased with the way my governor has handled the situation.

Illinois: 543 deaths/million ; 6,770 deaths total
Texas: 79 deaths/million; 2,293 deaths total

Did the Illinois governor put in measures to protect nursing homes like the Florida governor? or did the Illinois governor put nursing home patients in danger by putting them in close proximity to Covid-19 patients like Cuomo?

Texas and Florida are the gold standards on how to handle a pandemic. Every Democrat governor should try to learn from Texas and Florida.