• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Star Wars Thoughts

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You guys remember we have specific threads for star wars discussions, right?

To keep them from taking over this thread...

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Also also I have no problem bringing shiev palpatine back, but the way they did it...ugh

The Cat

Staff member
You guys remember we have specific threads for star wars discussions, right?
Sometimes I like to color outside of the lines. I'll organize it later Dread Lady of Fabletown ^_^

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have one more left of Season 3 to go, but I have to say that I have positive opinions overall. It has its slow parts and missteps, but the episodes have been enjoyable overall. This season also has much more Katee Sackhoff, which is very much a good thing. I didn't mind the cameos this season with the exception of Lizzo. Let me put it this way: she seems like a very sweet person and I'm sure she's a talented musician, but her acting here is not very good. By contrast, all the other cameos have years of experience acting, even if what they are doing is a little goofy.

But the goofiness isn't a problem for me and I actually enjoy hearing Christopher Lloyd yammer on about how much he loved Count Dooku.

While we're at it, in the episode I watched tonight there was a reference to a "General [something] Hux" and "Project Necromancer". I immediately knew what they were implying here, and I rolled my eyes. I did appreciate the appearance of something like Babu Frick, a bright spot in that atrocious last movie.

You know another stupid thing about those movies is that in supplementary material, they act as though the First Order is different than the Empire, or is not connected to the Sith. Then in the last movie they shrug their shoulders and decide Sith, Empire, First Order, it's all the same thing. If it was the Empire all along, then why even bother calling it something different? Did they get political protection by giving themselves some weird name like that despite reusing all the uniforms and flying extremely similar looking spaceships? As twists go, the "Surprise, the First Order was the Empire the whole time" was one of the lamest.

The episode I watched tonight suggested something different, and thankfully it doesn't bother wasting time with that whole the "First Order isn't the Empire" thing. It's implying it's some faction with the Imperial Remnant which I'll allow.

Last edited:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The force ghost was barely a redeption, but it made me less mad because it validates han solo being force sensetive with was a long time theory in the old eu
I always believed Solo was just a touch force sensitive, like enough that it gave him some intuition and quick reflexes as a pilot, but never to a level that could have been developed into Jedi force abilities like lifting objects and shooting lightning. But had he been a child during the golden age of the old republic, he might have been scooped up by the Jedi Order and trained to a point. Perhaps in the library or jedi temple guard order. There were probably scores of "weaker" jedi who didn't have the ability to lift objects or sense disturbances but were still gifted duelists, but the few we see in most media from the PT era are the best of the best and the top level in terms of degree of force sensitivity

The Cat

Staff member
I always believed Solo was just a touch force sensitive, like enough that it gave him some intuition and quick reflexes as a pilot, but never to a level that could have been developed into Jedi force abilities like lifting objects and shooting lightning. But had he been a child during the golden age of the old republic, he might have been scooped up by the Jedi Order and trained to a point. Perhaps in the library or jedi temple guard order. There were probably scores of "weaker" jedi who didn't have the ability to lift objects or sense disturbances but were still gifted duelists, but the few we see in most media from the PT era are the best of the best and the top level in terms of degree of force sensitivity
the more into the old eu especially the young han solo trilogy by A.C. Crispen it gets easier and easier to get a sense that he was at least like the force sensetive in Rogue One. His piloting skills and marksman skills even without his eyes.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
the more into the old eu especially the young han solo trilogy by A.C. Crispen it gets easier and easier to get a sense that he was at least like the force sensetive in Rogue One. His piloting skills and marksman skills even without his eyes.
Is his conversation in the prison block in ANH him trying and failing to do a Jedi Mind Trick, do you think? Perhaps it is something that has worked before, despite his own expectations.

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
FB_IMG_1691585616874.jpg

The Cat

Staff member
I like to imagine this actually happened.​

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I like Ahsoka so far. Naturally, the resolution of the cliffhanger to this episode has already been spoiled for me, which is why I need to watch these things immediately.

I think the opening is pretty cool. We get some very unusual tribal drums and an uncharacteristic red crawl, and this sets the scene for what happens. I don't know if I like the delicate piano motif for that one character, though. It seems to hint at some inner sadness in the character. I'll be surprised if it turns out to actually be a thing.

Sabine's apartment, I like the way that's done (and I remember that structure from Rebels) and what that suggests about her emotional state.

I never saw the last season and a half of Rebels so some plot points , I'm a little puzzled by, like Sabine being a Jedi apprentice.

I think Dawson has grown on me as Ahsoka (she has a lot of sly smiles that fit with the animated version of the character) ,not sure about Winstead (who is nevertheless great in Scott Pilgrim vs. the World). I think Natasha Liu Bordizzo is fantastic.

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Watched episode 5 of Ahsoka.

I generally liked Episode 4 -- I know i talked about it somewhere, maybe my blog? -- but I was really kind of "eh" on Episode 5. I mean, if anyone is going to do Star Wars right, it would be Dave Faloni, but I'm not really impressed with much of the final work. Ahsoka is okay, as compared to bad, but I really am kinda "meh" watching through it and will never rewatch any of this aside from maybe e4.

Hayden Christensen, if he is a decent actor at all, needs a hell of a lot of direction. I guess Faloni directed this one, but... god, it just felt so boring and flat to me. The lightsaber battles never quite kicked into exhilaration mode, Christensen's delivery was bored at best (each line felt like he had to think about it before he said it, and came off as resigned), and I didn't care if Ahsoka lived or died... Finally she says, "I chose to live." Yeah, okay, but why? Or how was that even achieved? Or why was that the end of the sequence? I didn't understand the impetus of the writing. It was so bizarre to me and didn't emotionally peak anywhere. About the only thing I actually enjoyed during this was seeing Ariana Greenblatt, who while she is no Anya Taylor-Joy, is an actress of some interest to me because she seems to star in a lot of genre stuff (she played Gamora in Infinity War, and the daughter from Barbie) and is solid if not noteworthy.

Then we get the prerequisite Jedi communing with giant space whale squids (the art design was nice) who can of course also travel at hyperspeed and just happen to know where the Sith / Dark Jedi / Disillusioned Grey Jedi / Space Witches went. So that problem was now just conveniently solved.

I feel like some people eat this stuff up. Maybe I'm just not in the majority of viewers, so I need to accept that. I think the films and shows I love are ones where I actually FEEL things when I watch them, and also it all feels very real/authentic to me in the narrative beats and also the psychology and behavior of the characters. Are these real people, even if they are fictional? But this all feels like cosplay with scripts that were dashed off in a weekend, to me. Hey, for forty minutes, just let's play let's pretend and move our Star Wars dolls around.

Faloni's series is better than Boba Fett and Obi-Wan, and I think it might be better than Mando, but... I am seeing I just am not really happy with Star Wars in general. The first trilogy was fun, though not super-great in ways that matter to me; yet, it is rather epic (especially the Darth Vader revelation) and lingers. Then the prequels looked really great visually but the writing generally sucked hard -- and most of the acting (even by decent cast) sucked too, aside from Ewan McGregor. I really liked TFA as a film in general; oh, it had flaws (essentially, it rehashed A New Hope rather than being entirely new) but following it with some decent stuff would elevated it, and you could tell an award-winning writer (Arndt) had polished/doctored the script. I actually felt emotions while watching it. But then you had the problem with TLJ, which had some nice moments/interesting possibilities but also a lot of shite, and then you had the shitshow of TROS, which threw out anything good or intriguing from TLJ to just regurgitate fan service and committee and made no fucking sense at all in the end and ruined the arcs of multiple characters.

Ergo: Maybe it's not Star Wars. Maybe it's me. It's just not my kind of show. Maybe I need to come to grips with this.

The Star Wars things I liked the most were always: SWKOTOR 1 & 2, and then SW:TOR. Like, those games left me feeling moved, elevated, gut-punched, tense, amazed, intrigued, a whole host of emotions. The characters felt like actual people. It's really ironic I guess that the property to me felt most interesting and alive in the writing/narratives of videogames.

I like Ahsoka so far. Naturally, the resolution of the cliffhanger to this episode has already been spoiled for me, which is why I need to watch these things immediately.

I think the opening is pretty cool. We get some very unusual tribal drums and an uncharacteristic red crawl, and this sets the scene for what happens. I don't know if I like the delicate piano motif for that one character, though. It seems to hint at some inner sadness in the character. I'll be surprised if it turns out to actually be a thing.

Sabine's apartment, I like the way that's done (and I remember that structure from Rebels) and what that suggests about her emotional state.

I never saw the last season and a half of Rebels so some plot points , I'm a little puzzled by, like Sabine being a Jedi apprentice.

I think Dawson has grown on me as Ahsoka (she has a lot of sly smiles that fit with the animated version of the character) ,not sure about Winstead (who is nevertheless great in Scott Pilgrim vs. the World). I think Natasha Liu Bordizzo is fantastic.

While I have criticisms of the show (some of which I mention above), I'm fine with Sabine and Bordizzo -- yeah, she's fine in the role. She's one of the best things in the show. I'm also fine with Dawson, although because she is in her 40's I feel like a lot of the action elements are lessened. But she's fine as Ahsoka. I also liked the casting for Force Witch, Dark Jedi guy, and Wannabe Sith Patsy Girl. I think David Tennant is doing Ahsoka's robot helper, and he's fine too.

I even agree with you about Winstead. She's very pretty and always has been, and she's not a bad actress. But I don't really feel anything about her character. Yeah, okay, so you're a Twi'lek general, check off that item on SW Bingo Card, next. I wonder how many Star Wars fan sites focus on shots of her posterior and don't care otherwise about the character.

Her son Jacen seems force sensitive -- that's the kid that played Season 4 young Elliot in Mr. Robot.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
While I have criticisms of the show (some of which I mention above), I'm fine with Sabine and Bordizzo -- yeah, she's fine in the role. She's one of the best things in the show. I'm also fine with Dawson, although because she is in her 40's I feel like a lot of the action elements are lessened. But she's fine as Ahsoka. I also liked the casting for Force Witch, Dark Jedi guy, and Wannabe Sith Patsy Girl. I think David Tennant is doing Ahsoka's robot helper, and he's fine too.

I even agree with you about Winstead. She's very pretty and always has been, and she's not a bad actress. But I don't really feel anything about her character. Yeah, okay, so you're a Twi'lek general, check off that item on SW Bingo Card, next. I wonder how many Star Wars fan sites focus on shots of her posterior and don't care otherwise about the character.

Her son Jacen seems force sensitive -- that's the kid that played Season 4 young Elliot in Mr. Robot.
I prefer to think of her as a Manic Pixie Dream Sith. I wonder where that character is going to end up because she didn't seem all that interested in her master's declaration of "unlimited powah" in the second episode. She also dresses like a Jedi of the High Republic era, lots of gold and white. But I think it might be more interesting if that character didn't shift allegiances, it seems too predictable for a change of alignment to occur.

Jacen's dad was a Jedi, actually.

The Cat

Staff member
This is the star wars I want please and thank you. Yes even the guy dressed in regular clothes hidden in plain sight jedi master and the janitor recruit.. There NEEDS to be more to Star Wars than just the same stories. This would be perfect for a Pre Sith Empire story when jedi and sith were one, or dare I say it a more nuanced reimagining​

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is the star wars I want please and thank you. Yes even the guy dressed in regular clothes hidden in plain sight jedi master and the janitor recruit.. There NEEDS to be more to Star Wars than just the same stories. This would be perfect for a Pre Sith Empire story when jedi and sith were one, or dare I say it a more nuanced reimagining​
Despite the low production values overall and a bit of clumsy acting, it was better than the equivalent first five minutes of TROS. It looks intriguing.

Interesting -- I watched the first fight and thought, "That kid in black is really not confident, and he's way overextending his reach to keep his torso out of assault range... which means he's going to lose because his arms can't be protected or withdraw + he's off-balance." His stance never quite becomes perfect, but you seem him changing and extend less distance as he positions his body closer and grows more comfortable with a smaller gap.

I LOL'ed at the flowery bit and how that panned out.

See, this is more like the kind of thing you see in the SWKOTOR 1+2 and SWTOR narrative lines.

The Cat

Staff member
Despite the low production values overall and a bit of clumsy acting, it was better than the equivalent first five minutes of TROS. It looks intriguing.

Interesting -- I watched the first fight and thought, "That kid in black is really not confident, and he's way overextending his reach to keep his torso out of assault range... which means he's going to lose because his arms can't be protected or withdraw + he's off-balance." His stance never quite becomes perfect, but you seem him changing and extend less distance as he positions his body closer and grows more comfortable with a smaller gap.

I LOL'ed at the flowery bit and how that panned out.

See, this is more like the kind of thing you see in the SWKOTOR 1+2 and SWTOR narrative lines.
Yes exactly! ^_^ It would be a perfect series, or I think the concept could set up a very intriguing trilogy if done right. I feel like people would enjoy seeing the formation of the old force schools. How a bunch of the greatest warriors and these telekenetic monks became one organization The Order of Jedi Knights, and how they first encountered the Ancent Sith Empire and how that shook the foundations of the order and ultimately lead to the schism that led to the Jedi and the Sith parting as enemies and that leads us nicely into a new KOTR story SWTOR story and the franchise grows...it doesnt seem like it should be rocket science for disney.

The Cat

Staff member
Bring in some of the pre season 8 GoT people it's a slam dunk Have Guiermo Del Toro to direct. Give our souls life!