• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What type of characters do you like best?

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So which mbti type characters do you tend to like over the others? Do you tend to like characters of your own type, or do you gravitate towards different types.

Most of my favorite characters are ISXX like Ginoza, Kite, and Kurapika. Idk why though. I guess I like their emotional struggles (not sure if they're related to type though).

I hope there's not a thread like this already...

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't know about overall, but recently I discovered my favorite type of villain. Someone who has a sweet and affable surface, but underneath they're cruel and calculated. This is more of a cartoony archetype so I can't really think of any RL examples, but think Kurumi from Kimi ni Todoke or Dahlia Hawthorne from Ace Attorney. Not as much but they loosely fit, Blackfire from Teen Titans and Nui Harime from Kill la Kill. Basically characters who can go from

latest

to...

e81d302ef7764f8b664920420e240c84.jpg

It's always just been so entertaining for me to watch. Type-wise, they're probably all on the ENxJ spectrum (except Nui who I have no idea other than extroversion - she just seems like a demon to me).

In general, I like characters who I can relate to. So I guess people who aren't antagonistic underneath the surface - characters who are silly, friendly, energetic, spontaneous, empathetic, maybe a little dramatic or unorganized, etc. Starfire from Teen Titans, Lexie Grey from Grey's Anatomy, Risa Koizumi from Lovely Complex, Misa Amane from Death Note, Kiki from Kiki's Delivery Service, Ayu Tsukimiya from Kanon 2006, Satoshi Fukube from Hyouka, etc. Mix of ExFx and ExxP. Maybe I like the villain archetypes because they're like the other side of the coin to the type of characters I usually like.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So which mbti type characters do you tend to like over the others? Do you tend to like characters of your own type, or do you gravitate towards different types.

Most of my favorite characters are ISXX like Ginoza, Kite, and Kurapika. Idk why though. I guess I like their emotional struggles (not sure if they're related to type though).

I started this thread awhile ago on identifying with fictional characters. It wasn't explicitly type-related, but as often happens, some of the discussion went that way. I'm linking it here just as reference, not to suggest a merge (unless you want that).

I have been interested in this question for some time. As I posted on the old thread:

I have always read voraciously, and from time to time have a very strong identification with a character. For me, it is almost a physical sensation, like my whole being is flooded by some imaginary current as the character-as-thought-form goes to ground through me. The effect is less strong with movies, I think because the sound and images leave less to my imagination than the bare words on a page. I am trying to understand this better.

I used to find it curious that the characters I related to in this way seemed so dissimilar, and often quite unlike me. I was looking at external variables then, though: occupation, age, family background, skill set, etc. When I started to study personality theories, however, I realized that what we shared was a common way of seeing the world, of communicating, of solving problems and dealing with adversity. With some of my favorite antiheroes or villains, it is like seeing what I might have been had circumstances been different: "there but for the grace of God . . . "

So, to answer your question, I tend to identify with characters who seem to share my type.

I don't know about overall, but recently I discovered my favorite type of villain. Someone who has a sweet and affable surface, but underneath they're cruel and calculated. This is more of a cartoony archetype so I can't really think of any RL examples, but think Kurumi from Kimi ni Todoke or Dahlia Hawthorne from Ace Attorney. Not as much but they loosely fit, Blackfire from Teen Titans and Nui Harime from Kill la Kill.
How about:

um2.bmp

wolfnara

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I relate to characters that are independent and relatable for me in some way. Neutral characters are particularly interesting because they're often aloof and unpredictable, and are different from the rest of the characters. For some reason I'm (usually) put off from liking the most popular characters. As soon as I discover the characters popularity I take less of a liking towards it, because I find that boring.
Some of my favourates are/were Greed from FMA (actually, I have several), San from Princess Mononoke (suprise!), Raven from teen titans, Ryuk from death note, Legion and Thane from Mass Effect, and Daenerys from Game of thrones (in my opinion she is a lawful neutral who seems like a good person compared to all the rest of the characters. They are all evil, no one in GoT is good. Not even Jon snow since the last season).

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I usually like the characters that I agree with or respect more, just as I would like people like that more in real life. I assume that this also goes for that people of similar types are more likely to share similar views and values, so I imagine that a lot of the types I relate more closely to are especially xNxP types.

Kyubey

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
8w7
I don't know about overall, but recently I discovered my favorite type of villain. Someone who has a sweet and affable surface, but underneath they're cruel and calculated. This is more of a cartoony archetype so I can't really think of any RL examples, but think Kurumi from Kimi ni Todoke or Dahlia Hawthorne from Ace Attorney. Not as much but they loosely fit, Blackfire from Teen Titans and Nui Harime from Kill la Kill.

Does Ami Kawashima fit as one of them? I love characters like Ami, Nico Yazawa, and Odagiri Kyouko(from the manga only).

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Personally I think the whole "never smiles oh-so-brooding stronger-than-everyone-else-somehow" trope, ESPECIALLY on female characters is really getting kind of annoying. When Katniss did it, it was alright, but now it seems like every other popular female character is that way.

I want a character who has their flaws and those flaws are pointed out and not appreciated by either the reader/viewer or the other characters, and maybe runs into an obstacle or two where they'll have to overcome their weaknesses or maybe their weaknesses even overcome them.

Also, characters that are funny or happy and are actually somewhat relatable. This excludes characters that are, deep down, incredibly pathetic and wimpy or always have to be whining about shit.

And don't forget characters that are clearly different than everyone else or are exceptionally smart but don't have a huge ego/superiority complex/spend the entire length of the story putting down other characters.

As for "types" as in like MBTI, I'm not sure, but it seems to me like the whole ISTP, INTJ, and INFP trio is being beaten to shreds by the cliche character traits.

Think like the Weasley family.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Does Ami Kawashima fit as one of them? I love characters like Ami, Nico Yazawa, and Odagiri Kyouko(from the manga only).

I haven't seen Toradora, but people keep telling my Ami would be my fav. :laugh: After seeing gifs of her and AMVs I'm gonna say she probably would.

tumblr_nnnauqMyod1rcufwuo1_400.gif

^KWEEN

Also Nico was my favorite girl from Love Live, but the thing is she wasn't as underhanded. Her sweet facade was used more for comedic effect, while all the girls knew and accepted her true self. But I guess she does fit loosely if I'm also mentioning Blackfire and Nui. :thinking:

I guess Misa could also fit if I'm going very liberally with this trope - even though she's carefree and energetic at heart she's also a mass murderer. Same with Ty Lee who was my favorite from ATLA. She was very exuberant but she was also one of the most intimidating characters because she was able to cripple them and leave them defenseless.

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
I think am interested in the intuitive thinking temperament though I had characters I liked from all types. I read a story whereas the main characters were INTP and INTJ and they just used their hyper-intellectualism to solved most of their problems in the story.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Most ESTJ characters suck, IMO.

I tend to gravitate to TJs, especially NTJs. But when I really like a character because of their humor and intelligence, it hardly matters what type they are. ISTP, ENFP, INTJ...

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Wait, really? I thought you were really into HP.

Nah, I keep it on the DL because most people in our age range are like "WHAAAAAAAAAAAT" and make a big deal. I watched one of the movies when I was little, but one of the opening scenes involved people blowing up like balloons and that scared me so I dipped out and never watched it again lol.

She's one of my favorites, because her brand of evil is something I am completely capable of doing, and doing well :ninja:.

I was gonna consider mentioning you in my first post, because I was like "Hard would totally relate to this." :D

Kas

Fabula rasa
I identify more often with NF characters. But if it's about which I like the most, there is no rule. Maybe EPs more often... Eh I don't know.

Edit: I meant ExxPs, but EPs sounds much better:headphne:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What did you just say?

Besides Hermione Granger, those are literally the only good ones I can think of*. Out of hundreds, or even thousands, of ESTJs, most of whom are one-dimensional and tyrannical authority figures.

Not to generalize or anything.

*Claire Dunphy is so much like me that I'm starting to worry that I'll end up married to Phil.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
*Claire Dunphy is so much like me that I'm starting to worry that I'll end up married to Phil.
That is also one of my greatest fears.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Besides Hermione Granger, those are literally the only good ones I can think of*. Out of hundreds, or even thousands, of ESTJs, most of whom are one-dimensional and tyrannical authority figures.

What would you say about Bailey from Grey's? A long long time ago I used to think ESFJ, but after that I went with ESTJ and I think most people in typology see her that way. She's initially presented as what you describe but as the show evolves she becomes a lot more multidimensional as a character.