User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Default Identifying with fictional characters

How often and how strongly do you identify with characters in the books you read, or the movies you see? Are these characters usually similar to you, different from you, or an example of what you would like to be/wish you were? What does it mean to identify with a fictional character - what do you see as the nature of the identification? Is the process useful in any way?
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    IsFJ

It's a funny thing, you know - I dunno if it's Elfboy's influence or anything, but, when I read a story, especially one with a large cast, I keep asking myself, "which character do I identify with more?" or "which one of these characters most resembles me?". Kind of an odd thought process.

Sometimes, though, there's some particular scene in a movie or sentence in a book that resonates a lot with me... It's a nice feeling, knowing I'm not that alien.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I can identify with the characters in books I read, I can read a book if a character differs from me in some respects, I'll give it a chance, but if those differences are too great then I'll lose interest and stop reading.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    How often and how strongly do you identify with characters in the books you read, or the movies you see? Are these characters usually similar to you, different from you, or an example of what you would like to be/wish you were? What does it mean to identify with a fictional character - what do you see as the nature of the identification? Is the process useful in any way?
    I've only really identified with a few characters in the past. And usually only on a few levels. When I relate a character to myself, I normally have an inkling that the author has an aspect of themselves or someone they know very well that also has those same resonating qualities- or some great insight into human nature- to be able to reach out to the audience well enough to resonate with them. I find it hard to believe that a character would really and truly hit home unless the author had some kind of deep understanding of the trait or set of traits he was talking about, to be able to recombine them into a new person. It's not useful as much as just confirming that we're all connected somehow.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I identify with Mickey Rourke's character in the movie Barfly, although I am not a poet, I do not have long stringy hair, I don't cavort with harlots, I'm not an alcoholic, and I don't live in the big city. And I have a job.

Perhaps Mickey Rourke's character represents my inner poet, my inner slob, my inner harlot-lover, my inner alcoholic, my inner big city-dweller, and my inner unemployable person.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    It's a funny thing, you know - I dunno if it's Elfboy's influence or anything, but, when I read a story, especially one with a large cast, I keep asking myself, "which character do I identify with more?" or "which one of these characters most resembles me?". Kind of an odd thought process.

Sometimes, though, there's some particular scene in a movie or sentence in a book that resonates a lot with me... It's a nice feeling, knowing I'm not that alien.
    I influenced you to think like that? guess I did something right
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    I influenced you to think like that? guess I did something right
    Well, with all those threads concerning fictional characters and whatnot, it was inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    How often and how strongly do you identify with characters in the books you read, or the movies you see?
    Pretty frequently.

Are these characters usually similar to you, different from you, or an example of what you would like to be/wish you were?
    Usually they experience a situation in a similar manner to the way I have experienced something that no one in my external world cares about. At other times, these characters can take bad situations and make them better or into good situations; it helps see how things can be solved or entertain the faith that all problems can be solved.

At other times, it's nice to know I'm not the only one who makes mistakes, can be narrow-minded, but can also be brilliant in ways that others won't appreciate. Empathy is another one - a lot of times fiction helps show how things can be solved more efficiently with empathy. It's that strange desire to care to some extent that can't be rationalized...it is nice to see that instinct not being ignored or looked down upon, especially when empathy is not just about the self, but others as well. Its essence is the opposite of selfish.

What does it mean to identify with a fictional character - what do you see as the nature of the identification? Is the process useful in any way?
    Yeah, so it validates my perceptions, reminds me more of what I am, what I care about, and why, whereas the real world doesn't really care, ends up seeing someone trying to be an individual as pretentious in itself or self-indulgent. But that's the real pretentious.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Hm...I say that a fictional character a person can relate to means that the author, script writers, artists, etc. has a good grasp on human nature and can develop characters that are relatable and may reflect themselves. I know that's off topic, but whatever...
    Maybe not as much in books. I relate more to characters from shows, movies, and video games than anything. Many of them are people that I identify physically or personality wise. I think it means that there are people out there that makes me feel better about myself.
    Now there are male characters that makes me want to glomp because they are like ideal type I would like in a mate because I'm weird like that...
    Save Thundercats 2011 petition. Because we do what we can. HO!!!:
    http://www.change.org/petitions/warn...another-season

There's usually a character I identify with in any story.. some only because of small traits that I might focus on. Some moreso. Never really physically though (Although some kids made fun of me when I was young and said I looked like Ichabod Crane. So that sucked).