• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Sports Random Thought Thread

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sport originated in Ancient Greece as a religious festival, and as less and less are attending Church, Sport has taken up the slack, and although not a registered religion, Sport carrie out many of the functions of religion.

And in the 19th century Britain recreated Sport, not as a religious festival, but to give the Working Class something to do after work and to avoid revolution. And we find many, but not all Sportspeople, when they speak, are semi-literate.

Uh uh, Mole.

Y7k7U2.gif

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sport originated in Ancient Greece as a religious festival, and as less and less are attending Church, Sport has taken up the slack, and although not a registered religion, Sport carrie out many of the functions of religion.

And in the 19th century Britain recreated Sport, not as a religious festival, but to give the Working Class something to do after work and to avoid revolution. And we find many, but not all Sportspeople, when they speak, are semi-literate.

If this is what got the permban, bravo XD.

- - - Updated - - -

Congratulations, Utah Jazz and Phoenix Suns. As a reward for having your best regular seasons in a while, you get to face either LeBron James or Steph Curry in the first round!

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
If this is what got the permban, bravo XD.

- - - Updated - - -

Congratulations, Utah Jazz and Phoenix Suns. As a reward for having your best regular seasons in a while, you get to face either LeBron James or Steph Curry in the first round!

If I were them I'd much rather play the Warriors than the Lakers. The Lakers have shown that they can steal a few games here or there when Lebron and AD are out, whereas Steph Curry is the totality of the Warriors offense.

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If I were them I'd much rather play the Warriors than the Lakers. The Lakers have shown that they can steal a few games here or there when Lebron and AD are out, whereas Steph Curry is the totality of the Warriors offense.
Oh, I agree with that, I don't think the Warriors go past 5 games. I just find it amusing that 2 young teams finally get a chance to show what they're capable of, and their reward is facing generational superstars in the first round lol.
The Lakers could be the 10-seed in the play-in spot, and I still wouldn't call them underdogs if LeBron and/or AD are playing.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh, I agree with that, I don't think the Warriors go past 5 games. I just find it amusing that 2 young teams finally get a chance to show what they're capable of, and their reward is facing generational superstars in the first round lol.
The Lakers could be the 10-seed in the play-in spot, and I still wouldn't call them underdogs if LeBron and/or AD are playing.

I'd love to see the Lakers lose early, just so we can have a legitimate NBA finals where the finalists seem all but predetermined at the beginning of the season.

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'd love to see the Lakers lose early, just so we can have a legitimate NBA finals where the finalists seem all but predetermined at the beginning of the season.

Me, too, man. Lakers fans have been insufferable since they got back on top, and I know too many bandwagoners.
Also, the Nets lose in the 2nd round or ECF. I'm calling it here.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
If Aaron Rodgers goes to Denver you can basically skip past the formality of a regular season and go ahead and give them the Lombardi. Definite darkest timeline territory there....

And Julio Jones.

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Anyone who didn't think Jokic was the MVP since the All-Star Break was smoking something.

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I really thought England was gonna win that game after scoring a goal within 3 minutes. So happy to see Italy come out on top, even in that grueling manner :D

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Novak claiming a 6th Wimbledon title and the Astros walking off the Yankees with 6 runs in an inning make this day even better. All we need is a close Suns-Bucks game (and preferably a Suns win) to make this the perfect sports day.

EDIT: Never mind, Scott Foster will be officiating Game 3. It will not be a perfect sports day.

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thinking of doing a post each day for each major position.

Top 5 QBs headed into the 2021 season:

1) Patrick Mahomes

2) Aaron Rodgers

3) Tom Brady

4) Josh Allen

5) Russell Wilson

Honorable Mentions: Lamar Jackson, Baker Mayfield

I want Lamar to do well and be top 5 next season, but I have to see how he clicks with his new receiving core of Watkins and Bateman before making such a judgment.

I also rank Allen ahead of Wilson because I believe Allen will take another leap of improvement this season, while Wilson (through largely no fault of his own) and the Seahawks will remain a bit stagnant in their performance against beefed-up NFC West defenses (even Arizona's made more improvements on defense than Seattle; meanwhile, Russ still can't get a good O-line).

- - - Updated - - -

Also, after his comments on Team Nigeria and Shohei Ohtani, Stephen A. Smith remains an absolutely confirmed clown with just a few meme-worthy moments.

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Top 5 RBs headed into the 2021 season:
1) Derrick Henry

2) Dalvin Cook
3) Alvin Kamara
4) Christian McCaffrey
5) Nick Chubb
Honorable Mention: Saquon Barkley

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thinking of doing a post each day for each major position.

Top 5 QBs headed into the 2021 season:

1) Patrick Mahomes

2) Aaron Rodgers

3) Tom Brady

4) Josh Allen

5) Russell Wilson

Honorable Mentions: Lamar Jackson, Baker Mayfield

I want Lamar to do well and be top 5 next season, but I have to see how he clicks with his new receiving core of Watkins and Bateman before making such a judgment.

I also rank Allen ahead of Wilson because I believe Allen will take another leap of improvement this season, while Wilson (through largely no fault of his own) and the Seahawks will remain a bit stagnant in their performance against beefed-up NFC West defenses (even Arizona's made more improvements on defense than Seattle; meanwhile, Russ still can't get a good O-line).

- - - Updated - - -.

giphy.gif

Josh Allen had a breakout year last year with newly added receiver Stefon Diggs, but personally I'd need to see what we saw last season before I'd be willing to put him in that category.

Gonna go ahead and put it out there: While he may have a unique and possibly inappropriate relationship with massage therapists, Deshaun Watson, in my opinion, should be on the list over Allen. Watson had a phenomenal season in the dumpster fire that was the Texans organization last year.

The rest of your list is on-point, though.

Also, while Lamar has taken Baltimore to the playoffs every year sincd he has been there, I just don't see him being able to win big games until he becomes a better thrower of the football. I see him continuing to win and put up highlight reel worthy big run plays in regular season games, only to be shut down and shut out in the postseason. I think any team would take him over Josh Allen if both were available at the same time.

I also see 2021 as Justin Herbert's coming out party-- guy made some awesome plays and stats for a rookie on a terrible team.

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
giphy.gif
Josh Allen had a breakout year last year with newly added receiver Stefon Diggs, but personally I'd need to see what we saw last season before I'd be willing to put him in that category. Gonna go ahead and put it out there: While he may have a unique and possibly inappropriate relationship with massage therapists, Deshaun Watson, in my opinion, should be on the list over Allen. Watson had a phenomenal season in the dumpster fire that was the Texans organization last year. The rest of your list is on-point, though. Also, while Lamar has taken Baltimore to the playoffs every year sincd he has been there, I just don't see him being able to win big games until he becomes a better thrower of the football. I see him continuing to win and put up highlight reel worthy big run plays in regular season games, only to be shut down and shut out in the postseason. I think any team would take him over Josh Allen if both were available at the same time. I also see 2021 as Justin Herbert's coming out party-- guy made some awesome plays and stats for a rookie on a terrible team.
I refrain from putting Watson on the list simply because we don't know how much playing time he gets, and even if he gets a minimal suspension, that affects his impact on the team compares to everyone else on the list this upcoming season.

It's true Diggs and Beasley (LOL Cole Beasley) helped Allen's passing a lot, and I'd love to see him take another leap forward. But, even then, the season before, Allen made John Brown look like DeAndre Hopkins in the 2019 season. He's got the ability outside of elite receivers; it just needs refinement (I think he learned a lot from that brutal loss to the Texans that year) and it's happening rapidly. With established, healthy receivers, it's a I put him over Lamar in the top 5 list.
On the other side of that coin, you're right that Lamar needs to prove himself a greater thrower of the football, which he did in 2019 with over 3000 passing yards. The trouble has been consistent receivers (his passes were on target in that Tennessee game, his receivers just decided to juggle and drop like the Ringling Bros.). I truly think he'll establish himself a better passer with Bateman and Watkins (especially if the latter remains healthy).

Yes, Justin Herbert's got a shot at an even bigger breakout season, if only the Chargers solve their ownership fiasco and get their shit together.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
I refrain from putting Watson on the list simply because we don't know how much playing time he gets, and even if he gets a minimal suspension, that affects his impact on the team compares to everyone else on the list this upcoming season.

Do quarterbacks not named Tom Brady actually get suspended? At this point I don't think anything is going to happen with the Watson situation in terms of an NFL suspension, and if it does it'll be minimal (4 games at the max). He is kinda stuck in this weird limbo now though as the entire league hesitates to pull the longterm trigger on whatever their current quarterback situation is (Deshaun Watson to the Raiders??)

I It's true Diggs and Beasley (LOL Cole Beasley) helped Allen's passing a lot, and I'd love to see him take another leap forward. But, even then, the season before, Allen made John Brown look like DeAndre Hopkins in the 2019 season. He's got the ability outside of elite receivers; it just needs refinement (I think he learned a lot from that brutal loss to the Texans that year) and it's happening rapidly. With established, healthy receivers, it's a I put him over Lamar in the top 5 list.

The AFC East has the potential right now to be the most interesting division in the NFL. Buffalo had a breakout year. New England is going to be a lot better than they were last year, especially with lots of their covid opt outs coming back. The Jets are a complete wildcard with new QB Zac Wilson and their new Head Coach. Miami by all rights SHOULD be better.

I On the other side of that coin, you're right that Lamar needs to prove himself a greater thrower of the football, which he did in 2019 with over 3000 passing yards. The trouble has been consistent receivers (his passes were on target in that Tennessee game, his receivers just decided to juggle and drop like the Ringling Bros.). I truly think he'll establish himself a better passer with Bateman and Watkins (especially if the latter remains healthy).

This year is going to be a big one for Lamar Jackson in terms of expectations. The division around him is only going to get better with the emergence of The Browns last year, plus a healthy Joe Burrow in Cincinnati with some good drafted additions.