• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Sports Random Thought Thread

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
yall don't even know how the thouht of Russ at Chicago gives me newfound life in him.

That seems to be his preferred destination. It makes sense, too. If I'm Chicago, I do whatever it takes to make that deal. Plus, you got to admit that it would be nice to see Aaron Rodgers actually have to contend with competent quarterback play from a division rival. You can almost taste the salt in the tears of all the Packer fans.

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Does it explain why Carroll got fired so quickly? Up until that point New England wasn't that great of a franchise (they had two superbowl appearances up to that point-- One against the 85 Bears in which they got demolished, and the other the 1996 season in which they lost to the Packers). He actually had a decent coaching tenure in New England, going 10-6 and winning a playoff game before going 9-7 and 8-8, then getting fired. I think he just has a very oldschool mentality to the game; run the football and control the clock while playing good defense. I

According to the book (and my recollection), the declining record over the years had to do with serious lapses in defense, and that's when Kraft realized he had made a mistake in turning down an in-house hire in Belichick (who Bill Parcells brought over when he took the Pats job) the first time for Pete Carroll. Effectively, Kraft fired Carroll and proceeded to lock horns with the Jets to get Belichick.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That seems to be his preferred destination. It makes sense, too. If I'm Chicago, I do whatever it takes to make that deal. Plus, you got to admit that it would be nice to see Aaron Rodgers actually have to contend with competent quarterback play from a division rival. You can almost taste the salt in the tears of all the Packer fans.

I have always felt the salt in the tears when they still tell me Aaron is better than Russell when Russell kicks his ass. :D

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nobody:

New England Patriots on the first official day of free agency:
giphy-downsized-large.gif

I am ALL FUCKING IN on a New England Cam Newton/Bill Belichick 2021 Revenge Tour

Also I'm not sure what timeline this is but I can't believe I'm a Patriots fan now.

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Nobody: New England Patriots on the first official day of free agency:
I am ALL FUCKING IN on a New England Cam Newton/Bill Belichick 2021 Revenge Tour Also I'm not sure what timeline this is but I can't believe I'm a Patriots fan now.
I think they'll place 2nd in the AFC East. Maybe make the playoffs as a 6 or 7 seed, considering the South and West (besides Kansas City) are weak af. All the more likely given Miami has been largely stagnant aside from the Brissett signing.
Goddammit, I hate putting a positive spin on the Patriots. Look what you made me do!

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think they'll place 2nd in the AFC East. Maybe make the playoffs as a 6 or 7 seed, considering the South and West (besides Kansas City) are weak af. All the more likely given Miami has been largely stagnant aside from the Brissett signing.
Goddammit, I hate putting a positive spin on the Patriots. Look what you made me do!

They're also going to have a pretty soft schedule next year. They play the NFC South and the AFC South, two divisions in turmoil with the rebuilding Jaguars, imploded Texans, rebuilding Saints, Atlanta had has been streaky at best and will have a new coach, and the mediocre Panthers. Their hardest games this upcoming season will be against the Browns and Tampa. They also play the chargers who they absolutely crushed last year, but they have a new coach as well. We'll see what happens....

Based on their weak schedule and free agency improvements, I can very realistically see 11-5 happening, with them contending with Buffalo for the division. We'll see what Josh Allen is this year-- did he just catch fire last year and will be coming back to earth or is he the real deal.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
So D&D has been on Hockey Nights, and I have priotrities and also TTRPG is my sports. so someone enlightened please tell me: How goes the quest for Lord Stanley's Cup in my absence?:unsure:

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Why did I pick Georgetown over Colorado *face-palms so hard that I knock myself to another dimension*

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
So D&D has been on Hockey Nights, and I have priotrities and also TTRPG is my sports. so someone enlightened please tell me: How goes the quest for Lord Stanley's Cup in my absence?:unsure:

The Panthers are having an impressive season thus far.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Nobody:

New England Patriots on the first official day of free agency:

I am ALL FUCKING IN on a New England Cam Newton/Bill Belichick 2021 Revenge Tour

Also I'm not sure what timeline this is but I can't believe I'm a Patriots fan now.
Okay but same my mom was like why.
I was like "sweet venegance baby"

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Okay but same my mom was like why.
I was like "sweet venegance baby"

Brady winning a ring in Tampa was the "A New Hope" part of this story.

Next season, the revamped Patriots are going into the "Empire Strikes Back" mode.

A Tampa Bay vs New England superbowl in 2021 would be a license to print money as far as marketing and branding goes.

Tomb1

Great coaching to me is what Ditka did with the Bears..."Gimme three years and I'll turn you guys into champions" and doin' it. Rather than, "you guys suck so bad that I am gonna spend 220+ million dollars to get better players so we can win again"

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Houston Cougars fucking clawed their way back into that game, sheesh. No wins for you today, Big 10.

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Baylor and Houston is gonna be a fun March Madness matchup. My official bracket has Baylor winning, but I'm excited to see what Houston brings on. They'll make it a dogfight.