• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Dangerous Case Of Donald Trump

Nicodemus

Which Trump actually mentioned what he wanted to do with education many times.
I think he also mentioned that Mexico is going to pay for the wall a couple of times. Now it is a fence and paid for by the American tax payer.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Its both. I also do not support for profit education. I think interest rates on student loans shouldn't exist. If you can force that, they'd lower the cost of education by a lot to save money. But stopping the administrative bloat is also important. What I meant by loophole, is how tuition keeps going up, but teacher rates remain the same. Is due to how it competes with student loans.

Why Is the Cost of College Tuition Becoming So Pricey?

But if they got rid of interest entirely, it would solve a lot of problems. Which Trump actually mentioned what he wanted to do with education many times.

How much do you pay monthly for your student loans? Just curious, I'd be happy to compare what I pay on $35k worth of loans I have left and what I pay for my kid in her last year of undergrad classes at the same time. Mostly scholarship for her tuition but we pay things like oh, $500 lab fees per class and her books, which are in the thousands. College textbooks are basically a drug cartel no one ever mentions.

Incremental change, like interest free loans will never work because any lender can service them. Cap the amounts people have to pay back - so much for undergrad, so much for grad, that will force changes in tuition costs. But community college, trade school, state college and universities should be free - exactly what Bernie and others have proposed. Rich people can still send their kids to private schools where they won't be bothered by the unwashed masses.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
And a word on the eliminating interest on loans (which again, can't work when your local bank services them). Trump proposals would actually increase the cost.

1. Elimination of Subsidized Student Loans

The federal government no longer would pay the interest costs on federal student loans while borrowers are enrolled in school. This means that your interest costs for your federal student loans would be higher.

2. Elimination of Public Service Loan Forgiveness

The budget eliminates the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program. This student loan forgiveness forgives federal student loans for borrowers who are employed full-time with a qualified public service or a non-profit employer. Currently, borrowers in this program receive federal student loan forgiveness after 120 monthly payments.

^^ I left the non-profit sector for this exact reason. I'm 100% sure I don't want to be dicked around by these inept fuckeads but I know lots of people relying on this.

How Trump’s Budget Affects Your Student Loans

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
That's my idea. Always has been. And if the limit of assistance sucks, then it should be raised.

You people have amazing powers of simplification which, not surprisingly, never work.

Jaguar

You people have amazing powers of simplification which, not surprisingly, never work.

If you hate the military, get the fuck out of the USA and go live with Putin. See ya, cookie. I'm sure you'll find a problem with those putting country over party, too. Fuel the hate, baby.

Jaguar

You okay, bud? :shock:

I'm fine. You? At least when you post, you've done your homework and know what you're talking about. Usually. I have little patience for anyone who continues to post lies or makes wild claims without evidence to back it up. For example "most of the people here think X." Posts like that are pure slop.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How much do you pay monthly for your student loans? Just curious, I'd be happy to compare what I pay on $35k worth of loans I have left and what I pay for my kid in her last year of undergrad classes at the same time. Mostly scholarship for her tuition but we pay things like oh, $500 lab fees per class and her books, which are in the thousands. College textbooks are basically a drug cartel no one ever mentions.

Incremental change, like interest free loans will never work because any lender can service them. Cap the amounts people have to pay back - so much for undergrad, so much for grad, that will force changes in tuition costs. But community college, trade school, state college and universities should be free - exactly what Bernie and others have proposed. Rich people can still send their kids to private schools where they won't be bothered by the unwashed masses.

I didn't get student loans, I payed out of pocket and went for fun, not a degree. Aka I paid only for the classes I wanted.

Also, you need to realize I support total change in the education system. "Student loans" and where they come from included. I agree it shouldn't be private/for profit. You take one thing I want to change, and verify how well it works in the current system. I am talking about changing the entire system, on top of eliminating interest. The problem is how to do that. I think administration needs to change. How collages use money, how teachers are paid, and cutting out bullshit from degrees that have nothing to do with your profession. Books shouldn't be 400 dollars if they are obsolete in a year (it is absolute theft) If you de privatized much of it, it will force them to match their prices with their budget. Which can also decrease the quality of the education itself. America can easily steal models from other countries. Etc.

But at the same time, Bernie is not that person. He has no balls, and I doubt he'd get any policy enacted to do it. He has said nothing about what he will change, only that it will be free. Complaining about it solves nothing. When I researched peoples stances on education in 2015, Trump's was the only one with how. I pay way more attention to how, instead of lip service. Its why I thought Klobuchar was the only good Democrat this year.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
I would have liked it if my service in the military gave me free school. I certainly had to do a lot of paying for shit while I was in, and then of course paying for serving my country afterwards.:dry:

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think he also mentioned that Mexico is going to pay for the wall a couple of times. Now it is a fence and paid for by the American tax payer.

I personally wanted the wall regardless, as did most Trump supporters. I gotta pay for everyone's free collage. At least you can pay for something I want.

Jaguar

I would have liked it if my service in the military gave me free school. I certainly had to do a lot of paying for shit while I was in, and then of course paying for serving my country afterwards.:dry:

If a person is willing to serve its country, the country can serve the person in return. If you want to see me annoyed, fuck over a veteran who put their life on the line. Ripping off the mask of a CIA operative for political gain will also annoy me.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I didn't get student loans, I payed out of pocket and went for fun, not a degree. Aka I paid only for the classes I wanted.

Also, you need to realize I support total change in the education system. "Student loans" and where they come from included. I agree it shouldn't be private/for profit. You take one thing I want to change, and verify how well it works in the current system. I am talking about changing the entire system, on top of eliminating interest. The problem is how to do that. I think administration needs to change. How collages use money, how teachers are paid, and cutting out bullshit from degrees that have nothing to do with your profession. Books shouldn't be 400 dollars if they are obsolete in a year (it is absolute theft) If you de privatized much of it, it will force them to match their prices with their budget. Which can also decrease the quality of the education itself. America can easily steal models from other countries. Etc.

But at the same time, Bernie is not that person. He has no balls, and I doubt he'd get any policy enacted to do it. He has said nothing about what he will change, only that it will be free. Complaining about it solves nothing. When I researched peoples stances on education in 2015, Trump's was the only one with how. I pay way more attention to how, instead of lip service. Its why I thought Klobuchar was the only good Democrat this year.

If your concern is actually getting things accomplished - no problem. Happy to add it to the list of executive actions Bernie can evoke, just like Trump, with whom I have never head you criticism for doing the exact same thing, not even once. Like you think Amy or Pete would do any different? Nope. But it's pretty typical how I now hear lots of this same rhetoric. After the silence on Trump no one is swayed by that argument.

You can have the wall if I get my immigration reforms passed with no stonewalling from the Senate.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If your concern is actually getting things accomplished - no problem. Happy to add it to the list of executive actions Bernie can evoke, just like Trump, with whom I have never head you criticism for doing the exact same thing, not even once. Like you think Amy or Pete would do any different? Nope. But it's pretty typical how I now hear lots of this same rhetoric. After the silence on Trump no one is swayed by that argument.

You can have the wall if I get my immigration reforms passed with no stonewalling from the Senate.

Curious, what type of immigration reform do you want?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Curious, what type of immigration reform do you want?

Amnesty for all undocumented people in the US, minus criminal deportations, terrorists, etc
Expand DACA for undocumented minors
Break up ICE and CBP and return their functions to outside of the Department of Homeland Security. Increase staffing for immigration processing and ports of entry security.
Lower the I 485 time to 12 months
Lower the green card time from 5 to 3 years to apply for citizenship
Expand family green card applications - husband/wife/children/parents. Cap cost. Prosecute scams - there are many.
Abolish travel ban. Revamp student visa. Jail time, not fines for officials selling visa.

I'm sure there is more I'm forgetting at the moment but it's a start. I don't feel all people residing in the US have to be on a path to citizenship - for example, so I don't think that path needs to be a requirement. Long term residency should be embraced, they contribute just as much with holding jobs and paying taxes as citizens. But no policy is going to be free to abuse or threaten them either.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Amnesty for all undocumented people in the US, minus criminal deportations, terrorists, etc
Expand DACA for undocumented minors
Break up ICE and CBP and return their functions to outside of the Department of Homeland Security. Increase staffing for immigration processing and ports of entry security.
Lower the I 485 time to 12 months
Lower the green card time from 5 to 3 years to apply for citizenship
Expand family green card applications - husband/wife/children/parents. Cap cost. Prosecute scams - there are many.
Abolish travel ban. Revamp student visa. Jail time, not fines for officials selling visa.

I'm sure there is more I'm forgetting at the moment but it's a start. I don't feel all people residing in the US have to be on a path to citizenship - for example, so I don't think that path needs to be a requirement. Long term residency should be embraced, they contribute just as much with holding jobs and paying taxes as citizens. But no policy is going to be free to abuse or threaten them either.

And how does these changes help the poor, or working class Americans? Why do you support these policies? How do these policies help you, or your neighbors? How does this help or hurt America?

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
And how does these changes help the poor, or working class Americans? Why do you support these policies? How do these policies help you, or your neighbors? How does this help or hurt America?

You my dear Ms Burke. Do an admirable job representing Weyland Yutani. I could just hug your face.
a401c0e2645cc90e7cdc55b44e6bc506.png

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

After years of you proclaiming Trump Trump Trump and fuck everyone but me, you asking if anything helps the poor, working class Americans, is hilarious.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
After years of you proclaiming Trump Trump Trump and fuck everyone but me, you asking if anything helps the poor, working class Americans, is hilarious.

Excuse me for trying to change approaches. And no, while I may be defensive. I actually make efforts to change an adapt. What is wrong with that? I am not good with words. I am terrible at debates. So the least I can do is learn to ask questions.