• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] SJs decision making

Beshr Al Bakri

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
2w3
I have a confusion about an issue related to SJs decision making. We know that all SJ are careful and not spontaneous nor impulsive, but, in many cases I found that we decide faster than all judgers and even some percievers (especially NT).

They have so many choices for every action they do, and they look at each choice very deeply and analyze it boringly, while we just dont have patience for that, we go a head with the first or second choice after short analysis.

is it because we are so confident of our choices or experience? Or coz we dont like to have a lot of options that waste our time in viewing them? Or is it just an issue concerned with me as an ISFJ ?

THANK YOU :)

Unionruler

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
If you have set values, sense quickly, and trust your own sensing to evaluate situations against those values, it makes for low decision time? At least for me bah

Ovid

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Your primary function is introverted sensing. Your decisions are generally based on past experience, so if your deciding on a situation similar to a past one, you've basically already made the decision before hand.

Beshr Al Bakri

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Yeah it makes sense that when we face similar situations we can respond quickly and we will be so confident about what we decide.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Your primary function is introverted sensing. Your decisions are generally based on past experience, so if your deciding on a situation similar to a past one, you've basically already made the decision before hand.

Right. You don't take each situation specifically on its own. Not that basing decisions on experience is a bad thing, I do it and I'm betting most people with more life experience do the same thing some of the time. Thorough analysis may look boring but it's not born out of indecisiveness at all and it isn't for impatient people. SJ's aren't usually willing to go outside the normal parameters either, that doesn't inspire critical thinking.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Don't ask me why I'm going into food with this, but I've noticed a lot of people I know who've tested as SJs do this thing where they have a favorite type of cuisine or dish and like to try it at a bunch of different restaurants. I think it's due to a mix of knowing what they like and wanting to know who serves what they like best. So accumulating that kind of knowledge and experience could create a good decision maker.

My ISTJ family friend is also good at being in charge when we're going out and about. Aside from the wonderful Te figuring out how to plan and execute our actions efficiently, because of our long history together he's able to quickly draw from stored associations and say "okay, if we want X kind of experience we should do thing A, but if we want Y kind of experience we should do thing B." It's really great since my Ne/E7 likes to run rampant and think about all the fun stuff each thing has to offer, so him explaining further what kind of experience we're bound to have helps me narrow down what I really want and make more confident decisions. So while the group often relies on me to make the final decision because I'm the only one who gets energized enough to choose somewhere, I'd say his thought process comes in handy in decision making in general so it could also be that kind of storage of past associations to draw from that make SJs apt at coming to conclusions.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Simpler decisions equal faster decisions but not always better decisions.

Great for the day to day, useless for the more unusual.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
A really great manager once had me read a chapter of a management strategy book on "the perfect plan". The overly simplified concept was essentially, that spending a great deal of time producing, tweaking, evaluating, re-tweaking, finalizing, and implementing a 100% perfect plan becomes ineffective when you miss your ideal "window of opportunity" by taking too long in the planning stages. That, in fact, a plan that is only 80% 'right', but which is decided upon and implemented sooner than the 100% 'right' plan, will be more effective in most situations.

I try to apply that concept to a lot of areas of my life, as I'm a chronic over-thinker. I will ruminate on something for way too long, and never actually "do". Planning is good, but you need to know when to stop planning and implement. That's my biggest issue, and something I try to keep in mind when it comes to many decision-making areas of my life.