• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Politics Thread

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I'm not feeling this optimistic. Even if the majority of true conservatives labeled "RINO" (which invariably happens when they refuse to kneel and kiss their orange ape king's ring) vote Democrat for the sake of preserving democracy itself, I'm not sure I see that bringing decency back to the Republican party. I have no idea how this is going to change the two party system - if we can manage to start ranked voting to enable more parties, or if we get stuck with a Democratic party that mixes liberal and conservatives-with-integrity (the way Jeff Goldbloom mixed with a fly, but still exponentially better than an authoritarian Trump knock-off). But it seems like Trump will only be knocked off his throne by someone who can out-Trump him, not by someone decent. Not by people who view hyperconfident bullying as strength, integrity as weakness, and who perceive being woefully uneducated as some kind of virtue.

As I said in the post above: watching American media only rally makes sense in a way that you see what is being served to the people. Therefore I drop an eye even on the right wing ones and I am under general impression that there are visible cracks in the party regarding the Trump as a person. Plus even his hardcore base isn't happy about his relatively recent statements regarding the advocating of vaccines. Also he has a ban on social networks and now some foreign media that are friendly to him are also getting banned.

Therefore the signs are kinda on the wall. The party simply has to find a new face and the old one will be gone since many want some kind a change. Of course that will not mean that they will stop being republican/conservative party but some kind of new era there is realistic. Especially since the good chunk of the establishment isn't too happy with the so unhinged and loud rhetoric. In the case that there wasn't Jan 6th incident we would be looking at somewhat different picture but that really spilled the glass for many. There is a part of people that will never leave him since they believe in Trump as an idea, not a person. But they don't seem to be the clear majority if the landscape starts to move due to what is going on the world. Some Trumpian elements will evidently stay since the world has changed, but some changes in approach seem to be quite possible in the party. We will see.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Yeap, step by step DeSantis is rising when it comes to getting the nomination in the end. Bets on the guy are also rising.
People just want a new face and more focused old agenda.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
@Julius van der Beak

This seemy to fit into our continuous exchange.

Kephalos

J.M.P.P. R.I.P. B5: RLOAI
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
I really do hope that people everywhere in the world will finally give up on the fruitless, hopeless and logically impossible task of finding a "good"conservatism. I mean, it's been more than two hundred years.

Patience is a virtue, but it's about time we put whatancien remains of the ancien regime (like, say, the catholic church) out of its misery.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
@Julius van der Beak

This seemy to fit into our continuous exchange.
Thanks. Haven't viewed it yet but I'll let you know what I think once I do.

Patience is a virtue, but it's about time we put whatancien remains of the ancien regime (like, say, the catholic church) out of its misery.

Hmmm, I have an issue with this line of thinking. I won't deny that institutions like this have been and are responsible for a great deal of misfortune, but I think there's a fallacious assumption that these are because of the institutions themselves, and have nothing to do with "bugs" within human psychology that would probably persist if you got rid of those institutions. Look at Russia. Did decades of atheistic communism eliminate Russian chauvinistic nationalism (Nor did they even really bother trying to fight this that much except for during the 20s, that stopped once Stalin entered the picture and didn't stop with his death)? I don't really see enough people sufficiently acknowledge that repressive conditions don't necessarily need centuries old-religions to flourish.

I think I'd feel better about statements like that if I felt there was a better more in depth look at psychology, sociology, and even philosophy to be more mindful of how to make sure that whatever arises in the place of these institutions doesn't fall into the same trap. Until then I think a form of religion that isn't reactionary should probably encouraged instead of trying to get rid of it entirely. If we actually come up with a better way of soothing people's existential angst, then sure, I'm ok with getting rid of religion. But let's face it, most people aren't going to read philosophical texts about existentialism or engage in all this work.

Ultimately people wouldn't hold on to traditions if they didn't "work" on a psychological level, so we'd have to come up with something that also "works" psychologically.

Last edited:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeap, step by step DeSantis is rising when it comes to getting the nomination in the end. Bets on the guy are also rising.
People just want a new face and more focused old agenda.
it's still a tad early to say. Often perceived frontrunners for nominations who declare too early lose hype and momentum when "shiny and new" candidates enter the race closer to the primaries. On the other hand, he will have more time to build up a campaign infrastructure. Plus it is clear he will run on his accomplishments as governor and make that the party's core platform.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
it's still a tad early to say. Often perceived frontrunners for nominations who declare too early lose hype and momentum when "shiny and new" candidates enter the race closer to the primaries. On the other hand, he will have more time to build up a campaign infrastructure. Plus it is clear he will run on his accomplishments as governor and make that the party's core platform.

That was my point, DeSantis has a fair amount of time plus Trump is kinda last year's snow at this point. What are pretty good cards if you want the red nomination. Plus age is also a good one, people are getting tired of old people that can barely speak on certain days.

He evidently has a path.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That was my point, DeSantis has a fair amount of time plus Trump is kinda last year's snow at this point. What are pretty good cards if you want the red nomination. Plus age is also a good one, people are getting tired of old people that can barely speak on certain days.

He evidently has a path.
But he’s gross ewwwww.

Kephalos

J.M.P.P. R.I.P. B5: RLOAI
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
1649654447290.png

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am curious, why on local levels US always generally seems much more conservative than on federal level ? I just don't understand how same area can vote so differently in some cases. Are federal and local politics really that different ?
My theory is that there is less turnout on the Democratic side more in non-presidential years. Whereas Republicans probably see turning out to vote at every election for anti-abortion candidates as some kind of sacred duty.