• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Music Thoughts Thread

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What the hell is the guy who doesn't like Michael J. Fox's music at the beginning of Back to the Future doing here?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ska needs to come back, man....

I miss Ska.

That's the impression that I get.

I was trying to troll people by suggesting really mainstream bands but I guess nobody cares anymore. The subject of genres reminded me of people insisting No Doubt wasn't ska or Green Day wasn't punk. There apparently was no other reason for them not belonging to those genres other than the fact that that they received widespread success.

Jaguar

That's the impression that I get.

I was trying to troll people by suggesting really mainstream bands but I guess nobody cares anymore. The subject of genres reminded me of people insisting No Doubt wasn't ska or Green Day wasn't punk. There apparently was no other reason for them not belonging to those genres other than the fact that that they received widespread success.

Sim (ENTP) used to scream about that all the time. I found it obnoxious and pretentious. Get those genres right! I care about the music, not categorizing it.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
The subject of genres reminded me of people insisting No Doubt wasn't ska or Green Day wasn't punk. There apparently was no other reason for them not belonging to those genres other than the fact that that they received widespread success.

Their roots are in those sub-genres but moved to a more broadly accepted sound to attain fame.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Their roots are in those sub-genres but moved to a more broadly accepted sound to attain fame.

Meh, it sounds enough like the "real" ska and punk bands to my ears. Reggae beats with horns? Fast, energetic "upbeat" sounding, heavily distorted guitar? Ska and punk, sorry.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Meh, it sounds enough like the "real" ska and punk bands to my ears. Reggae beats with horns? Fast, energetic "upbeat" sounding, heavily distorted guitar? Ska and punk, sorry.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying as they became more popular they adopted a more mainstream pop-ish sound.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying as they became more popular they adopted a more mainstream pop-ish sound.

Can see that with American Idiot, for sure, but that doesn't warrant scoffing when someone calls Green Day punk.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can see that with American Idiot, for sure, but that doesn't warrant scoffing when someone calls Green Day punk.

If we're talking about Green Day, I think it is fair to label Dookie as a punk album, even though by most standards it is still fairly within the realm of like radio friendly punk -- I'm not gonna split hairs on this but to claim Dookie is as much of a punk album as, say, the Dead Kennedys, would seem kinda silly.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sim (ENTP) used to scream about that all the time. I found it obnoxious and pretentious. Get those genres right! I care about the music, not categorizing it.

Genre classifications are useful as a more detailed way of describing a certain sound. As far as actually caring enough about which bands technically fit within certain genres, I don't care about that really. The amount of nuance that exists within all the different possible sounds that could fall within the spectrum of what is considered "Rock" is entirely too vast to just label it solely as such.

Jaguar

Genre classifications are useful as a more detailed way of describing a certain sound. As far as actually caring enough about which bands technically fit within certain genres, I don't care about that really. The amount of nuance that exists within all the different possible sounds that could fall within the spectrum of what is considered "Rock" is entirely too vast to just label it solely as such.

You can label the music while I listen to it. ;)

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That post is too Smokey for me. Are you high? Open a window.

It's true.

Wiki article on tears of a clown.

Wikipedia said:
Stevie Wonder (who was discovered by Miracles member Ronnie White) and his producer Hank Cosby wrote the music for the song, and Cosby produced the instrumental track recording. Wonder brought the instrumental track to the 1966 Motown Christmas party because he could not come up with a lyric to fit the instrumental.[3] Wonder wanted to see what Robinson could come up with for the track.[3] Robinson, who remarked that the song's distinctive calliope motif "sounded like a circus," provided lyrics that reflected his vision and sang lead vocal. In the song, his character, sad because a woman has left him, compares himself to the characters in the opera Pagliacci, comedians/clowns who hide their hurt and anger behind empty smiles.[3] He had used this comparison before: the line "just like Pagliacci did/I'll try to keep my sadness hid" appears in this song as well as in "My Smile Is Just A Frown (Turned Upside Down)", which he had written in 1964 for Motown artist Carolyn Crawford. The record is one of the few hit pop singles to feature the bassoon, which was played by Charles R. Sirard.[4]

He came up with the instrumentals, but not the lyrics.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If we're talking about Green Day, I think it is fair to label Dookie as a punk album, even though by most standards it is still fairly within the realm of like radio friendly punk -- I'm not gonna split hairs on this but to claim Dookie is as much of a punk album as, say, the Dead Kennedys, would seem kinda silly.

I guess Dookie is a little more polished than something like Black Flag.

I will give American Idiot credit, though, for finally solving the problem of American idiots once and for all. I'm glad we haven't had to deal with those at all since.

I'd say that I consider genres more Ti than Si. Ti likes to classify things. And yeah, being able to classify music can be useful. It can be helpful for talking about it or exploring this. Like... if you know you like one thing, and you want to find more things like that, guess what, classifications are good for that!

Some people like to use the classifications as a way of gatekeeping, though, and that's when it starts to get silly. At that point it's not really interested in accurately describing things and it's more about other things.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
While music classification can get a little silly and pretentious in the age of pitchfork, I also cringe a little bit when people shit on genre classification.

I never really liked limiting myself to a particular genre and think people who say “I only listen to X or Y genre” are morons, but I can’t help feeling there’s a certain pretension coming from those who pretend to totally ignore genre names and classifications.

Jaguar

It's true.

Wiki article on tears of a clown.

He came up with the instrumentals, but not the lyrics.

You forgot Hank Cosby. If we're going to miss the forest for the trees, let's go all out.

Some people like to use the classifications as a way of gatekeeping, though, and that's when it starts to get silly. At that point it's not really interested in accurately describing things and it's more about other things.

Which was my point to begin with but apparently some people want to take it to an extreme — pretending there's a position being taken that classifications have no worth or are unnecessary. I never took that position. And if anyone thinks I did, that's on them for being obtuse.