• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

No heaven above us and no hell below us

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
van der waal's forces
Ah - so you mean naming physical principles after people? Have you any objection to naming cities or buildings after people? How about land formations? What is your opinion on Mt McKinley?

Much standard usage has developed surrounding units like watts, volts, amperes, coulombs, etc. All that would have to change were we to eliminate the use of people's names.

Also why has no ape ever asked a human a question with sign language before? That's pretty meaningful right?
That's pretty unsupported as an assertion.

Perhaps no one has recognized when a question has been asked.
A distinct possibility.

"If a lion could speak, we could not understand him." Wittgenstein (PI, p.223)
We won't get far addressing matters of science using philosophy.

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
We won't get far addressing matters of science using philosophy.

Philosophy is the study of general and fundamental problems, such as those connected with existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language.

How is this a matter of science and not philosophy?

This thread is in the philosophy forum, not the science forum.

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's pretty unsupported as an assertion.

I found this quickly:

Enculturated apes, who underwent extensive language training programs, successfully learned to answer quite complex questions and requests (including question words "who", "what", "where"), although so far they failed to learn how to ask questions themselves. For example, David and Anne Premack wrote: "Though she [Sarah] understood the question, she did not herself ask any questions — unlike the child who asks interminable questions, such as What that? Who making noise?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_ape_language#Limitations_of_ape_language

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Ah - so you mean naming physical principles after people? Have you any objection to naming cities or buildings after people? How about land formations? What is your opinion on Mt McKinley?

Much standard usage has developed surrounding units like watts, volts, amperes, coulombs, etc. All that would have to change were we to eliminate the use of people's names.

yeah, well mckinley is denali and i was being facsiesuoust because i had a geology exam recently and i'm not a geology major so having to learn terms that i don't really use and don't really have a thing to connect to frusrates me. but i think being angry about that word actually helped me remember it.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
yeah, well mckinley is denali and i was being facsiesuoust because i had a geology exam recently and i'm not a geology major so having to learn terms that i don't really use and don't really have a thing to connect to frusrates me. but i think being angry about that word actually helped me remember it.
I see. Anything that helps you remember. Did you ever take physics? My username is related to such a phenomenon. See coriolis effect.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I see. Anything that helps you remember. Did you ever take physics? My username is related to such a phenomenon. See coriolis effect.

i've never taken physics. but people who know me well said i'd be possibly good at physics. my uncle was physcist, he even has a wikipedia page which i'm proud of. i didn't know this until after he passed though. he was a professor at ole miss. he told me about growing up on the cumberland homesteads in crossville,tn during the great depression i recorded the interview if my mom has the tapes (she probably does i might figure out how to convert them digitally because there's a lot of really cool history about the homesteads.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mack_A._Breazeale

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i've never taken physics. but people who know me well said i'd be possibly good at physics. my uncle was physcist, he even has a wikipedia page which i'm proud of. i didn't know this until after he passed though. he was a professor at ole miss. he told me about growing up on the cumberland homesteads in crossville,tn during the great depression i recorded the interview if my mom has the tapes (she probably does i might figure out how to convert them digitally because there's a lot of really cool history about the homesteads.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mack_A._Breazeale
I encourage you to digitize the tapes and transcribe the interview. This would be a great contribution to history of the region. There is much recent interest in oral history especially. If he taught at Ole Miss, their library might be interested, or might even help you get the tapes digitized.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I encourage you to digitize the tapes and transcribe the interview. This would be a great contribution to history of the region. There is much recent interest in oral history especially. If he taught at Ole Miss, their library might be interested, or might even help you get the tapes digitized.

yeah i need to ask my mom if she has the tapes still, i started to transcribe the interview but i would have no idea where any of that would be and would probably need to start over.