• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are You Racist? You May Just Be According To This New List

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If you're a little bit of this, a little bit of that, you must remain silent, so that the oppressed can be liberated.

Let the pure-bloods dictate how things should be so as to better serve the needs of social justice. Go sit in your cupboard under the stairs and be content with that. ;)
I get the reference! Lol

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Don't legitimately compliment certain people about certain talents that they may actually have. Got it.

That's my snarky comment. Thanks for reading.

Man, this whole 'microaggression' thing. Providing decent examples of stereotypes and phrases to think twice qbout using would kind of, sort of, maaaaaybe have a place in preschool or kindergarten, when kids haven't learned a whole fat lot about reasoning or dealing with people who aren't like them in some way. But ultimately, that should be on the parents.

Microaggressions as a concept for grown adults? Holy hell, it's beyond words. Although.. as mentioned, "retarded" is a good one. My personal twist would be "really fucking retarded."

The worst part of it all? When someone feels offended for somebody else, and acts upon it in such a way, they're stripping away their autonomy. And their identity.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i think if someone was accused of being something they knew in their hearts had no truth to it, it wouldn't be offensive. a lot of people don't really have to deal with these kind of thoughts on a day to day basis, so when they are confronted with them it makes them uncomfortable and defensive to think that maybe there's a little part of themselves that feels a certain way.

Disagree. bad chana, bad chana. WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!!

I don't imagine anyone really enjoys being accused of being something they're not.

Agree.

I think what the article is trying to tell us is that there are certain things we do or say that might be a result of feeling superior to another's race or feeling surprised that a person from that particular race was able to do that. You are not being a racist per say, but you have never seen a person of that race managing to accomplish something like that.

Perhaps if a person from a pygmy background says that he/she or their child is a runaway model, you'd be surprised. I know I will. Don't know about you.

It's like the time when [MENTION=22098]Mane[/MENTION] said he is 6'4' and I was surprised and if he ever tells me he is financially intelligent I wouldn't be surprised. I didn't mean ill will, and I wasn't being condescending. However, it is possible I was surprised because deep down inside I didn't think a person from his race is capable of doing that/being that tall and THAT IS KINDA RACIST.

:D

No mane is not a pygmy.

We're all racist. Deal with it.

I know. I even had a thread on it called, aren't we all racist.

-----------------------------

[MENTION=23796]Blobfish[/MENTION]

You're so witty and incisive. I'm really glad that opposing me in such trenchant ways has brought meaning and identity to your life. :smile:

No need to thank me. I just call bullshit when I see it. :troll:

To be fair though, some of your responses to others had a condescending tone to it, as well.

Oooooo feeler fight! :popc1:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Evil and a Heathen
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think what the article is trying to tell us is that there are certain things we do or say that might be a result of feeling superior to another's race or feeling surprised that a person from that particular race was able to do that. You are not being a racist per say, but you have never seen a person of that race managing to accomplish something like that.

Perhaps if a person from a pygmy background says that he/she or their child is a runaway model, you'd be surprised. I know I will. Don't know about you.

It's like the time when @Mane said he is 6'4' and I was surprised and if he ever tells me he is financially intelligent I wouldn't be surprised. I didn't mean ill will, and I wasn't being condescending. However, it is possible I was surprised because deep down inside I didn't think a person from his race is capable of doing that/being that tall and THAT IS KINDA :

I've just gotten so desensitized to stuff that this kind of thing wouldn't even bother me. I'm not sure whether that's good or bad, but what I do worry about is giving malicious people a shield to hide behind. I'd rather deactivate that shield so that they can be fought on open terms, rather than assume that the Ministry of Magic will be up for the task. The Ministry needs to let the instructors at Hogwarts do their thing, rather than trying to make all the Hogwarts students fit into one mold.

In short, I'm looking to avoid an equivalent to Dolores Umbridge or Cornelius Fudge. I don't give a shit if people make power plays.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've just gotten so desensitized to stuff that this kind of thing wouldn't even bother me. I'm not sure whether that's good or bad, but what I do worry about is giving malicious people a shield to hide behind. I'd rather deactivate that shield so that they can be fought on open terms, rather than assume that the Ministry of Magic will be up for the task. The Ministry needs to let the instructors at Hogwarts do their thing, rather than trying to make all the Hogwarts students fit into one mold.

In short, I'm looking out for an equivalent to Dolores Umbridge or Cornelius Fudge.

Yes this.

By the way are you rich?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Evil and a Heathen
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes this.

By the way are you rich?

No, I am not. I had that opportunity, but I made other choices. I don't regret them.

I don't care if people make power plays, but they better not be prone to doing things that might make it easier for the Voldemort supporters; it doesn't matter what side they claim to be on.

I did what I did for the good of the realm, popularity be damned.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
you know being told i'm white so i'm racist my whole life i reached the conclusion that i don't care if i am because no matter what in someones eyes i'm a bad racist person. so i'm still gonna be a pussy shit dealing with people but i no longer care. and the more this shit goes around the internet the less i'm going to care.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I've done none of the things on that list so maybe Professor Point has a point. Also, if most people have done one or more things on that list, does this mean I'm a better person than them? Probably.

Crabs

Permabanned
Oooooo feeler fight! :popc1:

I have no more feels. :boohoo:
For there's an ice age in my soul,
my Eskimo soul.
Desolate and frigid.
This frostbitten sorrow has turned gangrene
for the last time.

Selah

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think part of the issue here is that racism is perceived differently by different people. Where one person might not see anything offensive about an innocent inquiry, another person might be deeply offended. My cousin is always on the defense about his Hispanic heritage, and is always seeing perceived slights against him. The thing is, though, he's no more Hispanic than I am. You wouldn't know it by looking at me, but I'm one-quarter Mexican. I just didn't inherit my mom's looks, whereas my brothers did.

But my cousin is super sensitive about it. To the point where I have actually told him, "Dude, the waitress is not staring at you because you're Mexican. She's staring at you because you have a giant blob of ketchup on your face!"

Long story short, yes, there are definitely racist people out there. But there are also people out there who ascribe racist attitudes to others, where none actually exist.

Yes, and that is where this problem stems from, from being constantly accused of something we haven't even done or thought yet. (the irony of me going to be doing the same thing now). That the people that accuse the other person of racism can now think the other person's intention wrongfully and accuse them, when the problem is really with them. And this is where the text merely without context asking where they are from is dangerous on it's own.

I don't like that person, I can get them into trouble by merely getting them to say, "where are you from" in front of other witnesses to get the sympathy vote etc.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have no more feels. :boohoo:
For there's an ice age in my soul,
my Eskimo soul.
Desolate and frigid.
This frostbitten sorrow has turned gangrene
for the last time.

Selah

Shuttup and say something funnier or perhaps post a funny video.

Mane

Permabanned
It's like the time when @Mane said he is 6'4' and I was surprised and if he ever tells me he is financially intelligent I wouldn't be surprised. I didn't mean ill will, and I wasn't being condescending. However, it is possible I was surprised because deep down inside I didn't think a person from his race is capable of doing that/being that tall and THAT IS KINDA RACIST.

Yes, it is exactly like that time... In fact, I am pretty sure it's exactly those kind of thoughts [MENTION=7991]chickpea[/MENTION] is talking about regarding people not dealing with on a daily basis and then getting upset when confronted.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, it is exactly like that time... In fact, I am pretty sure it's exactly those kind of thoughts [MENTION=7991]chickpea[/MENTION] is talking about regarding people not dealing with on a daily basis and then getting upset when confronted.

Not sure what you mean ther.

I wasn't addressing that to Chana, it was directed at BO, though it could be regarded as a general comment.

What she said 'You shouldn't get offended if you know you haven't done it' isn't correct at all. Infact you would get offended more.

For example is some beautiful woman tell everyone including your wife that you were hitting on her even though you weren't. Most people would believe her because she is beautiful and they themselves constantly hit on her. Would you not get mad if you were in that scenario [MENTION=7991]chickpea[/MENTION] ?

I would say if you were hitting on her and she tells people, then you would get less mad.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
meh, if one has to walk on eggshells in order to communicate with a person of another race, no friendship ain't gonna happen

way to promote racial segregation

I agree. It's much more fun to ride the elephant in the room than ignore it.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Evil and a Heathen
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Not sure what you mean ther.

I wasn't addressing that to Chana, it was directed at BO, though it could be regarded as a general comment.

What she said 'You shouldn't get offended if you know you haven't done it' isn't correct at all. Infact you would get offended more.

For example is some beautiful woman tell everyone including your wife that you were hitting on her even though you weren't. Most people would believe her because she is beautiful and they themselves constantly hit on her. Would you not get mad if you were in that scenario [MENTION=7991]chickpea[/MENTION] ?

I would say if you were hitting on her and she tells people, then you would get less mad.

If I were chickpea, I would pretty much feel like this right now:

6279550ac303e330a4025640af91d7c8.jpg

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Yeah I am probably a little racist, but yeah I think it is almost impossible not to be.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah I am probably a little racist, but yeah I think it is almost impossible not to be.

Just like avenue Q told us, everyone's a little bit racist.

Truth. No one's perfect and people are inherently biased towards those that look more like them. It's just a fact of human nature. I have more respect for people who can own that than those who try to pretend otherwise. You can at least have an honest conversation with the first sort, and even get insight into your own biases and prejudices. It's just a more valuable exchange overall.