• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are You Racist? You May Just Be According To This New List

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i think if someone was accused of being something they knew in their hearts had no truth to it, it wouldn't be offensive. a lot of people don't really have to deal with these kind of thoughts on a day to day basis, so when they are confronted with them it makes them uncomfortable and defensive to think that maybe there's a little part of themselves that feels a certain way.
That is your opinion, and you certainly have every right to it. However, I must respectfully disagree. There are definitely some people like that, but I think for the most part, people don't secretly like the things they abhor. If a person was offended by the accusation that they, I don't know, drown kittens, that doesn't mean that they're afraid that, deep down, they kind of maybe want to drown some kittens.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think part of the issue here is that racism is perceived differently by different white people.

Fix'd.
icon_local_awesome.gif

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That is your opinion, and you certainly have every right to it. However, I must respectfully disagree. There are definitely some people like that, but I think for the most part, people don't secretly like the things they abhor. If a person was offended by the accusation that they, I don't know, drown kittens, that doesn't mean that they're afraid that, deep down, they kind of maybe want to drown some kittens.

if someone accused me of drowning kittens, i wouldn't feel the need to defend myself against those claims because i know they are false and ridiculous. :shrug:

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
if someone accused me of drowning kittens, i wouldn't feel the need to defend myself against those claims because i know they are false and ridiculous. :shrug:
Well, yeah. That was just an illustration, and a hyperbolic one. The point is that not everyone finds it as easy to bear untrue accusations as others, and may feel the need to defend themselves. That doesn't mean that the accusations have any truth in them.

But we shall agree to differ.

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
I like addressing the 'one race' idea.

ygolo

My termites win

- I am from Florida
- No, I mean where are you really from you asian person

Get it?

I wouldn't be surprised if all the things on the list have a context in which it leads to exposure of preconceived sterotypes. I seriously doubt anyone is going to be immediately expelled, or have disciplinary action taken against them for uttering a phrase once. If it becomes part of a pattern of behavior that makes it clear that someone is an outsider and not really welcome, then it lays the foundation for more overt prejudicial behavior.

I think the worst thing that could happen from this microagression training (which my old company had, BTW) is you get called a racist by someone. More likely, you get a chance to question your cultural preconceptions, and learn about the real people you interact with. The horror!

We're all racist. Deal with it.

Or are you so offended by this that it's a microgression on my part? :)

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Not until people stop lazily using terms like microaggressions, white privilege and racism to invalidate other's perspectives and silence anyone who disagrees with their opinions.

One doesn't have to think very hard to realize the absurdity of this list. It is blatantly contradictory, promotes double-standards and encourages people to treat individuals in a specific way based on their race, which ironically seems to be what the article is criticizing.

Just our of curiosity [MENTION=23222]senza tema[/MENTION], are you a racist? Remember, don't deny it lest your microaggression (and underlying racism) be exposed.

Exactly! This article is insinuating that black people are inherently loud and their loudness should be tolerated as a characteristic of their race; despite the fact that plenty of black people aren't loud at all. By specifying black people instead of loud people, they are implying that it's a racially-specific trait. :dry:

Indeed, but impartiality isn't the goal of social justice warriors. Impartiality and discrimination are both used at the discretion of the SJW to further their agenda, therefore consistency is not a factor.

In your opinion, who gets to define "loud and disruptive"? The definitions are pretty straightforward.

Which will never happen because of individuality. Even members of the same race, neighborhood and family are not born in the same circumstances. Inborn temperaments, "personality types" and numerous other factors will make one person's experience in life vastly different from everyone else. The idealism you're striving for is not even remotely realistic.

lol What a microagressive way of belittling his question, which happens to be a valid point.

Oh...that's your problem. You're using the dictionary instead of the Social Justice Lexicon. There is a difference. And the definitions vary depending on the race, sex and gender of the reader. :coffee:

That's okay...as long as you're not white. ;)

I've got a little Native American on my father's father's father's side.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've got a little Native American on my father's father's father's side.

If you're a little bit of this, a little bit of that, you must remain silent, so that the oppressed can be liberated.

Let the pure-bloods dictate how things should be so as to better serve the needs of social justice. Go sit in your cupboard under the stairs and be content with that. ;)

ygolo

My termites win
I don't imagine anyone really enjoys being accused of being something they're not.

Is this a miroagression against you?

I say you are a racist because we all are, and you are included in "we". Is that still offensive?

Crabs

Permabanned
Is this a miroagression against you?

I say you are a racist because we all are, and you are included in "we". Is that still offensive?

Do you really think that people who issue 'racist' citations on a daily basis actually believe they are, in fact, racists themselves? Doubtful. It's a loaded word that is intended to shame people.

^I can't believe that there are retards who actually agree with some of the shit on this list.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=23796]Blobfish[/MENTION]

You're so witty and incisive. I'm really glad that opposing me in such trenchant ways has brought meaning and identity to your life. :smile:

Crabs

Permabanned
[MENTION=23796]Blobfish[/MENTION]

You're so witty and incisive. I'm really glad that opposing me in such trenchant ways has brought meaning and identity to your life. :smile:

No need to thank me. I just call bullshit when I see it. :troll:

To be fair though, some of your responses to others had a condescending tone to it, as well.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No need to thank me. I just call bullshit when I see it. :troll:

To be fair though, some of your responses to others had a condescending tone to it, as well.

Condescending? Me? Gee, I had LITERALLY NO IDEA I was coming across that way! Whatever will I do now!

*clutches pearls*

Dr Mobius

Biting Shards
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Interesting, there seems to be a bit of a kneejerk reaction to this list. I suppose the first point would be to establish why the list exists in the first place, or rather a supposition as to its intent.

A state university hands out an internal memo on micro aggressions in the form of a brief list of should nots; why? The laws of probability would say that fear of a shaken image would be the most likely reason.

What would happen to a state university perceived as racist? A huge loss of funding from its primary donor (The State), and potential law suits.

What is both a universities biggest asset, and largest liability? Its faculty.

It seems entirely reasonable to act as they have. As for the list..... it seems pretty well thought out in my opinion. Do read the actual list; the picture at the bottom of the OP. Context is everything

As for umbrage at everyone being racist. With almost all media, and human interacts reinforcing a human hierarchy, not being racist would require you having being brought up in complete isolation. Its an absolute in a world of grey, being aware means the ability to monitor/analyse personal behaviour.

“All is for the best, in the best of all possible worlds.”

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like addressing the 'one race' idea.

I don't want you to feel left out of the flashing green notification party so I am going to reward your lazy one line post.

White privilege, ahoy!

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
I don't want you to feel left out of the flashing green notification party so I am going to reward your lazy one line post.

White privilege, ahoy!

Thanks senza. Lord knows when I would have generated content worthy of response.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Something to think about.

61805336.jpg