• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are You Racist? You May Just Be According To This New List

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A lot of people say this. When it comes down to it, they get more annoyed when people of other races act out though.

There's also the whole "white standards are the right standards" angle to it.
Eww. That's pretty sucky. I've never even noticed one race to be "louder" than any other. My sister is the whitest person I know, and also the loudest person I know.

Also, what do white people know, anyway? They've done some hideously awful things in an attempt to make others conform to their standards.

The point is not to try to score points. The point is to listen and treat other people like people. That, in and of itself, is the point. Not winning some kind of universal "I am not a racist" badge.
You're right. It doesn't really matter what people perceive you as, because people can be wrong. What matters is being the best person you know how to be.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
We're all inherently racist to a degree. Thoughts that are racist are a natural part of being human, and stereotyping is inherent to the process by which we learn about the world (categorizing things into schemas and prototypes that we adjust as we experience the world more).

It also doesn't help that there are mutually incompatible theories about what's "racist". Example from the list:

You can't treat everyone equally without being racist according to those.

Also:

Those are just stupid. If someone's being disruptive to the point someone needs to say something, that's not racist. And if you can't understand someone because they're too quiet, that's also not racist. Treating them differently because of what race they are IS racist. "They're talking so low I can't understand what they're saying, but they're Asian so I can't say anything."

That's absolutely racist.

But back to the first point, if we can't agree on what the ideal is and have differing views on what's racist and what isn't racist, then it's just stupid to say someone is racist or not.

Stereotyping is not judging, racist is nothing but unwarranted judgement. Reasoning comes later and is pulled out of the persons ass to support racism. Ignoring good and propogating bad.

Stereotyping is categorizing, it has no judgement. It's people who add judgment on top of stereotyping. It's same concept as guns don't kill people, people kill people.

You are this way because you are black is categorizing, not racist. I hate you because you are black is racist. Creating categorization to support cause is racism, basing categorization off of reality is stereotyping.

I love playing with stereotypes, doesn't make me racist. Black people are loud...you first have to judge loud as bad and even then it's not racist. I hate black people followed by they are all loud mouths...well this one black guy isn't loud...well he is still black. That is racist. Don't confuse stereotyping and opinions of what people do as racist. If they stand apart from each other it's not racist.

If 2 people do the exact same thing and you judge it differently based on race you are racist

Lark

I'm not racist, I dont need a study to tell me and I wouldnt qualify that in any way by suggesting its all about ethno-cultural or culturo-national distinctions or anything of that kind.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can't even tell what you're trying to ask here.

If you go outside of your own country, and you start to speak. You will sound American, correct? At what point will you be happy that they see you as an American and not an Asian, and be happy about it. Then, at what point do you get "hurt" when they keep on asking where you are from, as in country. (because lucky number 99876th time person asked you and hit that nerve).

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
If you go outside of your own country, and you start to speak. You will sound American, correct? At what point will you be happy that they see you as an American and not an Asian, and be happy about it.

Well, I am American. So I'll be glad they got my nationality right for once.

Then, at what point do you get "hurt" when they keep on asking where you are from, as in country. (because lucky number 99876th time person asked you and hit that nerve).

While I was in NZ people would ask me where I was from and I'd say the US and they would say "ah, makes sense from your accent." 100% non-offensive. But asking "where are you from" to figure out why I don't look white is very different when how I look shouldn't be tied to any country. It's not like I ask white people where they're from because they don't look Native American. :shrug: My newer friends will inevitably ask what type of East Asian background I have which I'm fine with since they're curious - it's just different when people try to figure out "where I'm from" because I don't look "normal".

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's almost anything you say that includes someone is a race is like you dare shall not talk about them like hardcore negative theology. It is therefore a sin to make any statement about race. It's racist that you'd have to isolate yourself with your own race not to be called a racist. This is a dickhead study. Almost as if the KKK are revived again. Neo-racism, neo-KKKism.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

While I was in NZ people would ask me where I was from and I'd say the US and they would say "ah, makes sense from your accent." 100% non-offensive. But asking "where are you from" to figure out why I don't look white is very different when how I look shouldn't be tied to any country. It's not like I ask white people where they're from because they don't look Native American. :shrug: My newer friends will inevitably ask what type of East Asian background I have which I'm fine with since they're curious - it's just different when people try to figure out "where I'm from" because I don't look "normal".

Ok, thanks for that. But now lets say you're in your own country and now someone else who is an American citizen but with an unfamiliar accent comes to you who also happens to have different ethnicity that you're not quite sure of. How will you approach the person. Are you now scared that you will come off as a racist because you want to know where the person is from?

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ok, thanks for that. But now lets say your in your own country and someone who is an American citizen but with an unfamiliar accent comes to you who also happens to have different ethnicity that you're not quite sure of. How will you approach the person. Are you now scared that you will come off as a racist because you want to know where the person is from?
Meh, I wouldn't be, because my motive is not to gauge their worth as a person based on race, but genuine interest and curiosity. My neighbors are from Lebanon, but I wouldn't know that if I hadn't asked. Nor would I know a lot about Lebanese culture that I didn't know before. I think most people can tell the difference between a sincere desire to learn more about their culture, and an elitist agenda. At any rate, they weren't offended when I asked. But then, they're pretty awesome.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've asked pretty people about their race before out of curiosity, but I meant no malice.

Post a picture of your face. I personally like people who look different. It's less generic, and I really hate generic because it's boring.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Ok, thanks for that. But now lets say you're in your own country and now someone else who is an American citizen but with an unfamiliar accent comes to you who also happens to have different ethnicity that you're not quite sure of. How will you approach the person. Are you now scared that you will come off as a racist because you want to know where the person is from?

It's not really my business so I don't ask.

I personally like people who look different. It's less generic, and I really hate generic because it's boring.

*is attracted to a white boy*
Me: There’s something mixed about him

Crabs

Permabanned
In a manner that doesn't lazily resort to calling other people weak/humorless/easily offended/overly PC/SJWs.

Not until people stop lazily using terms like microaggressions, white privilege and racism to invalidate other's perspectives and silence anyone who disagrees with their opinions.

So those of you who are kneejerk calling this list stupid ... sorry, y'all. Try thinking it out this time and maybe you'll do better. :D

One doesn't have to think very hard to realize the absurdity of this list. It is blatantly contradictory, promotes double-standards and encourages people to treat individuals in a specific way based on their race, which ironically seems to be what the article is criticizing.

Just our of curiosity [MENTION=23222]senza tema[/MENTION], are you a racist? Remember, don't deny it lest your microaggression (and underlying racism) be exposed.

But how does telling a black person who is being loud to be quiet make a person racist? What if they really are being loud and disruptive? Ignoring it would be giving them preferential treatment, which would be racist.

Exactly! This article is insinuating that black people are inherently loud and their loudness should be tolerated as a characteristic of their race; despite the fact that plenty of black people aren't loud at all. By specifying black people instead of loud people, they are implying that it's a racially-specific trait. :dry:

How is this racist? Isn't this just being impartial?

Indeed, but impartiality isn't the goal of social justice warriors. Impartiality and discrimination are both used at the discretion of the SJW to further their agenda, therefore consistency is not a factor.

When the dominant group gets to define what "loud and disruptive" is, they can flex that definition any way they like to get people they don't want to hear to shut up.

In your opinion, who gets to define "loud and disruptive"? The definitions are pretty straightforward.

Sure, in a world where everyone starts off with the same circumstances.

Which will never happen because of individuality. Even members of the same race, neighborhood and family are not born in the same circumstances. Inborn temperaments, "personality types" and numerous other factors will make one person's experience in life vastly different from everyone else. The idealism you're striving for is not even remotely realistic.

You might want to mix up your repertoire a bit.

lol What a microagressive way of belittling his question, which happens to be a valid point.

I guess what frustrates me about all this is the claim that "saying you're not racist makes you racist." Uhh... how? The definition of racism, according to dictionary.com, is:

I don't believe that, and I never have. I respect and am interested in other cultures, but I don't think any race is superior or inferior to any other. And yet just expressing that makes me racist? Where is the logic in that? It seems you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

Oh...that's your problem. You're using the dictionary instead of the Social Justice Lexicon. There is a difference. And the definitions vary depending on the race, sex and gender of the reader. :coffee:

I've asked pretty people about their race before out of curiosity, but I meant no malice.

That's okay...as long as you're not white. ;)

Patrick

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
A friend of mine encountered a twist on the "Where are you from?" question. He was chatting with a health practitioner while undergoing a procedure, so just to make conversation he asked, "Where are you from?" The health practitioner said, "Venus." And he meant it. He believes that he's originally from the planet Venus and migrated to an incarnation on Earth either in a past life or just for this lifetime.

But my friend didn't want to hear that. He said, "Aw, c'mon. We're all from someplace. I'm from Iowa." My friend, btw, believes that the practitioner really might be from Venus; he wasn't denying the claim. He just wanted to know whether the guy had always lived here in the Twin Cities or if he used to live in some other city.

Sometimes you just want to try to get on the same page with somebody by fishing for something in common. If the practitioner had said, "I was born in San Francisco," my friend could've said, "Oh, I used to live south of San Francisco." And they'd have had something to talk about.

But answering "Venus" or "None of your business" or "Why do you ask?" is off-putting. IMO it's an unfriendly response, and I don't see the necessity for it in most cases. It seems to be a way of saying, Unless eccentricity or a distaste for small talk is common ground for us, we probably don't have any.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think part of the issue here is that racism is perceived differently by different people. Where one person might not see anything offensive about an innocent inquiry, another person might be deeply offended. My cousin is always on the defense about his Hispanic heritage, and is always seeing perceived slights against him. The thing is, though, he's no more Hispanic than I am. You wouldn't know it by looking at me, but I'm one-quarter Mexican. I just didn't inherit my mom's looks, whereas my brothers did.

But my cousin is super sensitive about it. To the point where I have actually told him, "Dude, the waitress is not staring at you because you're Mexican. She's staring at you because you have a giant blob of ketchup on your face!"

Long story short, yes, there are definitely racist people out there. But there are also people out there who ascribe racist attitudes to others, where none actually exist.

TopCatLSD

^I can't believe that there are retards who actually agree with some of the shit on this list.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
white people are more offended by the implication that they might be racist than actual racism.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm just wondering, so in this scenario, if a police officer who happens to be African-American, approaches an African-American kid, asking where this person is from. Is going to make the African-American police officer a racist?

edit: [MENTION=22264]jscrothers[/MENTION] help me out here.

Your vendetta's clogging up my Notifications list. You're on your own here.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
white people are more offended by the implication that they might be racist than actual racism.
I don't imagine anyone really enjoys being accused of being something they're not.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't imagine anyone really enjoys being accused of being something they're not.

i think if someone was accused of being something they knew in their hearts had no truth to it, it wouldn't be offensive. a lot of people don't really have to deal with these kind of thoughts on a day to day basis, so when they are confronted with them it makes them uncomfortable and defensive to think that maybe there's a little part of themselves that feels a certain way.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
i think if someone was accused of being something they knew in their hearts had no truth to it, it wouldn't be offensive.

It hasn't worked out that way for me in the past. That's one reason why I decided to pursue the Vulcan path. It was a problem when I was concerned with the ways others saw me. When I decided that was less important, it stopped being an issue.