• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] Are INFJs jealous of INFPs?

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Mmhmm.

View attachment 16612

A lot more people feel the way you do than you realize. What's different is that other people realize that within the system we have, there are ways to better oneself and get ahead, therefore the system can be used to advantage. How could you use it to your advantage, rather than railing against it?

I think that it uses us at a disadvantage to take advantage of us and use us against ourselves, to get back at ourselves for being at a disadvantage against ourselves when we have the advantage against the world.

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Maybe Fe isn't really jealous or has any issue with Fi, it's just that the prevailing social norms it may adjust itself too are fundamentally against Fi in certain places.

Litsnob

I think any person/type could potentially envy another type for some quality. Are we confusing envy and jealousy here? I am an INFJ with an INFP adult son. We are very close, seem to really get each other and enjoy both our similarities and differences. I cannot imagine either of us wanting to be the other person's type though I can say that I typically do quite like the INFP type. :)

RosieJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
That's funny... my INFJ friend admitted to me that she can not let go of a grudge or forgive that easily. She still isn't speaking to me after nearly two months now so I'd say she's having the harder time considering I've apologized until I'm blue in the face and I wish to just repair the friendship.

I used to hold grudges when I was a kid and a teenager, but now that I'm an adult it's pointless for me to hold a grudge especailly with close friends and family. Life is too short.

Same! I have an INFJ friend and we had to get into groups for this camping trip. The INFJ wanted this ISFP to come in our group (she's always had this slight obsession with her that I don't get but maybe to do with the benefactor relationship). The ISFP didn't seem too keen though and so at one point I said to the INFJ 'it's okay if (the ISFP) doesn't want to come in our group'. She got really cross that I even suggested this and tried to persuade me otherwise. Then she went into a sulk for the rest of the day, giving me the silent treatment and dirty looks and still wasn't talking to me the next day! INFJs definitely hold grudges in my experience! I will withdraw from someone if they have seriously upset me, but I don't partake in passive aggressiveness for petty things. INFPs are actually more likely to want to sort out the problem there and then (via Te) than go away to think alone (INFJs via Ti). Although she is probably an unhealthy INFJ so not saying all INFJs are like this!

RosieJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
No. Just no to everything here.

Haha actually I've read an article which hypothesis is that INFPs and INFJs are both prone to feeling jealous of each other. This is because we extravert the thing the other introverts. INFJs extravert feeling, appearing warm and promoting social harmony. INFPs have Fi so they have a lot of warmth on the inside but find it difficult to show this and so could feel inferior to the INFJ. HOWEVER, the exact same happens with intuition. With Ne, INFPs can easily connect ideas and see things from lots of perspectives, appearing intelligent and laid back too. An INFJ has Ni so has ideas that they internalise but may feel jealous or frustrated others don't notice this like they do of the INFP. It was something like that anyway. Maybe you personally haven't experienced it but I have had some INFJ frenemies who definitely felt jealous of my laid back friendly nature and bouncing ideas of people. One actually revealed this to me once because she felt it was unfair I was being offered more opportunities because I was vocal about my ideas. But I've always admired INFJ's soothing nature and approachability too.

Virgo1987

MBTI Type
Infp
Haha actually I've read an article which hypothesis is that INFPs and INFJs are both prone to feeling jealous of each other. This is because we extravert the thing the other introverts. INFJs extravert feeling, appearing warm and promoting social harmony. INFPs have Fi so they have a lot of warmth on the inside but find it difficult to show this and so could feel inferior to the INFJ. HOWEVER, the exact same happens with intuition. With Ne, INFPs can easily connect ideas and see things from lots of perspectives, appearing intelligent and laid back too. An INFJ has Ni so has ideas that they internalise but may feel jealous or frustrated others don't notice this like they do of the INFP. It was something like that anyway. Maybe you personally haven't experienced it but I have had some INFJ frenemies who definitely felt jealous of my laid back friendly nature and bouncing ideas of people. One actually revealed this to me once because she felt it was unfair I was being offered more opportunities because I was vocal about my ideas. But I've always admired INFJ's soothing nature and approachability too.
My infj friend never said anything about my opportunities, but the truth still remains that clearly what I did was wrong as in not understand her pov on her issues the way she had wanted.

I knew she was struggling with her creativity and getting it out in the public eye buy I also knew where she was coming from. I once had that fear, but I also figured out if I don't put myself out there... I wouldn't be recognized or gain opportunities.

I didn't mean to come off pushy, I just wanted her to see me as someone who despite going through a lot of things in life since I was a teenager, I was and am still very positive about a lot of things.

But for every damn positive I have, she has a negative. A worse case scenario for every scenario.

It's frustrating but the biggest upset of it all is that... well, everything. Because once someone is locked in a world of negativity... they block out everyone.

Virgo1987

MBTI Type
Infp
Same! I have an INFJ friend and we had to get into groups for this camping trip. The INFJ wanted this ISFP to come in our group (she's always had this slight obsession with her that I don't get but maybe to do with the benefactor relationship). The ISFP didn't seem too keen though and so at one point I said to the INFJ 'it's okay if (the ISFP) doesn't want to come in our group'. She got really cross that I even suggested this and tried to persuade me otherwise. Then she went into a sulk for the rest of the day, giving me the silent treatment and dirty looks and still wasn't talking to me the next day! INFJs definitely hold grudges in my experience! I will withdraw from someone if they have seriously upset me, but I don't partake in passive aggressiveness for petty things. INFPs are actually more likely to want to sort out the problem there and then (via Te) than go away to think alone (INFJs via Ti). Although she is probably an unhealthy INFJ so not saying all INFJs are like this!

I've come to realize that trying to sort out an issue with an INFJ is impossible. If anything, it is mentally exhausting to try to fix something and end up talking to a brick wall.

And yet I still try to fix the issue...

I must be a fucking moron.

RosieJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
I've come to realize that trying to sort out an issue with an INFJ is impossible. If anything, it is mentally exhausting to try to fix something and end up talking to a brick wall.

And yet I still try to fix the issue...

I must be a fucking moron.

Yep same. We just see the world completely differently on some issues. And I hate that my INFJ friend just acts like I'm so selfish because I'm sticking to my values instead of putting on a fake smile to get alonggn with everyone. And she has this elitist air about her - she doesn't recognise the value in other people's slightly unconventional talents, unless they're smart. In an argument, she gets so worked up and takes everything so personally and can't take any criticism objectively, even say when someone is just trying to help her improve her work and suggests a slightly different way to arrange it. It's like she thinks she knows best all the time. When in a a conflict she just gets so angry you don't agree with her and starts insulting you instead of rationally discussing each side. So annoying!

wu lan

MBTI Type
INFJ
This thread isn't meant to hurt anyone's feelings, just a question. I know it's human nature to be jealous in small ways, but could the way an infp reacts to life make an infj jealous -- and if so, what would the reactions be from the infj. I don't think theyd ever come right out snd say that they were jealous, so what would they do or how would they act instead?

Well, yeah sometimes. She is famous for having a unique personality and style, looks gothic and the geekiness is real, down-to-earth, and just pretty. Knows how to respond in any situation like ENFP and assertive for herself like INTJ but is seen as often feel guilty if she can't help. Honestly I was never seen her feel guilty if she can't help, cz she looks like she knows when she can help and when she can't to walk out. But since I don't adore those traits, maybe only the NP trait which looks like they're having all the time in the world for themselves and the general flexibility and spontaneous. It looks so free and pleasant to be around cz giving vibe like they don't have any agenda, even if needing looots of alone time.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
And I hate that my INFJ friend just acts like I'm so selfish because I'm sticking to my values instead of putting on a fake smile to get alonggn with everyone.

I hope you do realize there is a difference between sticking to one's values (which is important to Fe types as well) and getting along with people (which you may interpret as fake but many times with Fe is is actually quite authentic, just different than your approach). I think you two are having a Fi/Fe clash. You should try to understand that what you perceive as "fakeness for the sake of getting along" is genuine in your INFJ friend, and your friend in turn should be more tolerant by accepting that just because Fi has a different approach than Fe does, that it doesn't mean you are selfish.

When Fe is immature, it can be very aggressive. Think of the overly-pushy and controlling ESFJ stereotypes. It is because Fe strives for consensus, for what it values to be the norm. It wants everyone to value what it values. When an FJs Fe is poorly managed or unhealthy, it will come off as intolerant. If your INFJ friend's Fe is immature (I do not know her at all so I am not implying that it is) then she probably has not yet matured enough to be able to appreciate Fi. Fi is different from Fe, but it is not bad.

I think Fi and Fe users need to appreciate each other more. Fe should appreciate Fi's moral strength in standing up for itself and its ability to fight tooth and nail for its values. Fi should appreciate Fe's social finesse and willingness to spread and share its values with others. The approaches are different from each other, but they come from the same place.

Fi sees its values as pure and sacred, and they tend to choose to lead by example. Fe tends to take the more forceful approach--when it adopts a value that it deems worthy, it wants others to share these values too, which may come off as being imposing or intolerant to the Fi type, just as Fe may see Fi as "being selfish" since it does not have that same compulsive need to "share."

Virgo1987

MBTI Type
Infp
Yep same. We just see the world completely differently on some issues. And I hate that my INFJ friend just acts like I'm so selfish because I'm sticking to my values instead of putting on a fake smile to get alonggn with everyone. And she has this elitist air about her - she doesn't recognise the value in other people's slightly unconventional talents, unless they're smart. In an argument, she gets so worked up and takes everything so personally and can't take any criticism objectively, even say when someone is just trying to help her improve her work and suggests a slightly different way to arrange it. It's like she thinks she knows best all the time. When in a a conflict she just gets so angry you don't agree with her and starts insulting you instead of rationally discussing each side. So annoying!

I can relate. I believe my INFJ friend considers what happens in my life to be because I like to create conflict. That I "get off" on creating conflict.

I just don't want some chump to speak so one-sided about any topic that I'm interested in or situation I'm involved in. Of coursE I know when to keep my mouth shut (ie: work -- but even that's trying sometimes for me to do).

I think the approach could be better to benefit an INFJ, but I think sometimes they just take things too personally. Meaning if an INFP is in a moment of passionate opinions and they're pretty much voicing it, the INFJ just seems to sit or stand there and judge how you're reacting. Could an INFP's reaction be better? Of course it can, but sometimes you're just not aware of it.

I think in the heat of any moment all types aren't aware sometimes. I think it can be pointed out and people can choose to start to pay more attention to how they come across -- but I wouldn't tell someone to keep their opinions to themselves either and smile every single time just because it's expected or because I want to appear nice.

People aren't going to stop doing what they're doing or being aware of what they're doing or saying sometimes until someone else doesn't point it out. If it's a stranger, it's probably not likely to make someone aware, but I think in the sense of friends (maybe romantic partners -- but that's a whole other realm in my opinion. When you're with someone romantically you pretty much are supposed to or likely to accept them for who they are and not pretend or edit yourself, though I imagine some couples do and that is entirely within their right) -- but in the sense of friends... friends are supposed to be there to tell you the truth and wish the best for you. I believe they make you see so much of yourself you don't even realize.

With conflict comes resolution. Until an INFJ learns to deal with conflict -- even the slightest issue, that's when it becomes more of a two way street. Until then yup, she's pretty much just going to continue smiling through life even when she's upset about something unfortunately.

I admire your bravery though. I never once offered any ideas of improvement to my INFJ's friend professional writing work. I didn't dare touch that with a 10 foot pole because I already knew from her actions about other things, she would have shut down completely.

Empyrean

Not in the society we live in, no. I wouldn't want to be an INFP in my particular spatiotemporal and cultural location.

RosieJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
I hope you do realize there is a difference between sticking to one's values (which is important to Fe types as well) and getting along with people (which you may interpret as fake but many times with Fe is is actually quite authentic, just different than your approach). I think you two are having a Fi/Fe clash. You should try to understand that what you perceive as "fakeness for the sake of getting along" is genuine in your INFJ friend, and your friend in turn should be more tolerant by accepting that just because Fi has a different approach than Fe does, that it doesn't mean you are selfish.

I don't quite understand what you mean. In a restaurant with my friends the other day, I realised the meat they sold was not from animals who were treated properly. This is against one of my values so I decided not to eat it and instead chose a vegetarian meal. My INFJ and ENFJ friends became annoyed that I was 'ruining the evening' by not ordering a 'proper meal'. What?? It was my money I was spending, I'm the one eating it and I wasn't complaining or pushing everyone else to do the same. It wasn't affecting them in the least, yet they still saw this as 'selfish'. Firstly, I would never have done it if it was really affecting others around me, it's not selfish because I wasn't even thinking about myself - I was thinking about the animals and what right do they have to peer pressure me into deciding what I put in my own body?? I think we would get along much better if everyone just respected each other's personal values.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't quite understand what you mean. In a restaurant with my friends the other day, I realised the meat they sold was not from animals who were treated properly. This is against one of my values so I decided not to eat it and instead chose a vegetarian meal. My INFJ and ENFJ friends became annoyed that I was 'ruining the evening' by not ordering a 'proper meal'. What?? It was my money I was spending, I'm the one eating it and I wasn't complaining or pushing everyone else to do the same. It wasn't affecting them in the least, yet they still saw this as 'selfish'. Firstly, I would never have done it if it was really affecting others around me, it's not selfish because I wasn't even thinking about myself - I was thinking about the animals and what right do they have to peer pressure me into deciding what I put in my own body?? I think we would get along much better if everyone just respected each other's personal values.

You are missing my point... I'm sorry, I don't know how else to explain it beyond the other 3 paragraphs of that post.

It sounds like they don't appreciate Fi and are probably young and thus not fully matured... and it also sounds like you are the same with appreciating Fe. (That is not meant as an insult or something.) You were not being selfish.

RosieJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
You are missing my point... I'm sorry, I don't know how else to explain it beyond the other 3 paragraphs of that post.

It sounds like they don't appreciate Fi and are probably young and thus not fully matured... and it also sounds like you are the same with appreciating Fe. (That is not meant as an insult or something.) You were not being selfish.

I want to understand Fe. I appreciate it when my ESFJ friend is very accommodating and good at making everyone come together and feel accepted. Is Fe sometimes putting your own values aside so everyone can get along? I can kind of appreciate that but I'm not sure that's how I personally would want to live/what I value in life. Maybe because Fi means your feelings aren't as affected by your external environment so a little conflict here and there for the sake of someone's values doesn't bother me so much.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I want to understand Fe. I appreciate it when my ESFJ friend is very accommodating and good at making everyone come together and feel accepted. Is Fe sometimes putting your own values aside so everyone can get along? I can kind of appreciate that but I'm not sure that's how I personally would want to live/what I value in life. Maybe because Fi means your feelings aren't as affected by your external environment so a little conflict here and there for the sake of someone's values doesn't bother me so much.

Fe can be accommodating, yes. Sometimes Fe puts its values aside to get along, and sometimes it tries to extends its values to others, depending on how important the value in question is to it. This sharing of values with Fe can come off as imposing to Fi types, especially if the Fe is immature and excepts others to conform to its values.

Fi on the other hand, does not need to "share" the same way Fe does. The last sentence of your other post--"We should just respect each others' values"--strikes me as very Fi. Because Fi would rather exist as a sort of living example of its values, and let their values speak for themselves, than try and more forcefully share them like Fe can.

Both Fi and Fe care very much about their values and sticking to them, but the difference is that Fe wants others to value what it does, too. So your NFJ friends probably interpreted you choosing to live as an example of someone who chooses not to eat food provided by places that treat animals poorly as "selfish" because you were not valuing the same thing that they value. As Fe types mature, they realize, "Okay, it's okay if people don't always think the same as me" and they learn to back off on certain issues. From the other side, you did not feel the need to tell your friends, "You can't eat that because they're bad to animals and it's wrong!!", you chose to do what you thought was right--to lead by example--and let the rest decide for themselves. That is very Fi.

Fi is admirable. I think Fe is too. That is what I mean when I say they are similar, but different. Two sides of the same coin, so to speak. Because Fi has moral strength even in the face of conformity--and Fe wants to spread what it believes in to others. Essentially, both are doing what they believe is "right." There is a mature and less mature way for them to do it, which is why Fe types might accuse Fi types of being selfish when they are not, and Fi types might accuse Fe types of being inauthentic or conforming to the hivemind when they are not.

Now, of course Fi and Fe are both willing to get involved in debates for the things they believe in. For Fe, it is more driven by a compulsive desire to have others value the same things they do. For Fi, it is more like to inform the other side of why they believe their value is correct, but their endgame is not necessarily to force the other person to change their mind.

I hope I am making sense. I'm trying my best. :p

Virgo1987

MBTI Type
Infp

Yes. My infj friend was always hollering during an argument (for all I know it could have been a heated discussion or a moment of conflict but to her, straight up argument), that she did not like conflict and she did not want to fight.

When we both were younger I totally ignored it and continued to hold my ground.

As we got older I tried my best to come at it from a different angle to make it more of a discussion or a moment of conflict, but it still came across to her as an argument. When I say I tried, I mean I tried to keep myself even tempered, but as time continued if I wouldn't just agree (which I most likely didn't do enough), she would grow more and more defensive and start asking me what exactly it was that I was trying to say.

I never truly knew where to go from there because it was like okay I'm trying something different than arguing back with her and I'm trying to speak in a different way as to not agitate her and now she's asking me to be direct. When I had been more direct when we were younger she couldn't handle that either.

I understand where you're coming from as well about needing to speak up or get it across to peoole about how you feel and how you see things. That doesn't always blow over so well and I think sometimes for infps, or maybe just myself, it doesn't bother me.

I think when people avoid conflict, always grinning and smiling, it makes it easy for people to walk all over them.

Now I can sense things my friend said to me. That sometimes I come off mean and sometimes I come off being a bully. I thought now that I was older I had gotten better at it and I might have, but I still carry it with me or that I applied it to other things.

Still. Now that I'm older I don't sense it as bullying or even see it as that so much as in me just trying to use a tough approach to get someone going in the right direction. I grew up that way though with two parents who always tried to tough me up because I was so painfully shy. It took until I was 17 years old or so, my first job, to really break out of that she'll and start to develop a tougher skin.

So in my mind or in my experience yes there was conflict from a young age and it made me nervous, uncomfortable, worried, and scared -- but I managed to live through it and grow a spine. If I can do it, so can the next person.

But some people can't. I'm learning now to fall back on what I think other people are capable of because what I think is possible might not be for them. Or the approach for them will be sensitive care and not something like tough love or what can be seen as bullying behavior depending on what the individual finds bullying.

And there's just some things in life that I can't sit back and let happen. It's a good thing I'm not interested in politics the way some people are because I would sit there and argue my points until the world fell apart -- because somethings in life I just can't let go. I have to speak up for racism and sexism.

My INFJ friend told me once that she couldn't help me over racism and I found that to be insulting, but I never said anything to her about it because anything I said about any conflicting type of issue would grt her going. I live with racism directly in my life and she doesnt. WhIle she finds its wrong you will never find her speaking about it or even acknowledging it in a way that someone like me could notice. While I carry it around with me in my everyday life (to to the extent someone might imagine. Nothing like how online feminists on blog sites like tumblr carry on about anti men and things of that nature), she doesn't. I talk about it out in the open at times and I have opinions about it and she has the same opinions, but she chooses not to say anything.

Maybe she thinks it makes her appear mysterious to other people or carefree, but in my opinion it just read it like she felt I was getting worked up about something I couldn't change.

And I can't change it. She's right. Shes logical in that sense, but I can't sit back and not do my part to change an injustice I feel strongly about. I rather make my mark than bury it inside.

mystik_INFJ

Permabanned
Not really jealous over INFPs, just that I wish I had their resilience when it comes to hard times, I do admire their optimism. :D

RosieJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Fe can be accommodating, yes. Sometimes Fe puts its values aside to get along, and sometimes it tries to extends its values to others, depending on how important the value in question is to it. This sharing of values with Fe can come off as imposing to Fi types, especially if the Fe is immature and excepts others to conform to its values.

Fi on the other hand, does not need to "share" the same way Fe does. The last sentence of your other post--"We should just respect each others' values"--strikes me as very Fi. Because Fi would rather exist as a sort of living example of its values, and let their values speak for themselves, than try and more forcefully share them like Fe can.

Both Fi and Fe care very much about their values and sticking to them, but the difference is that Fe wants others to value what it does, too. So your NFJ friends probably interpreted you choosing to live as an example of someone who chooses not to eat food provided by places that treat animals poorly as "selfish" because you were not valuing the same thing that they value. As Fe types mature, they realize, "Okay, it's okay if people don't always think the same as me" and they learn to back off on certain issues. From the other side, you did not feel the need to tell your friends, "You can't eat that because they're bad to animals and it's wrong!!", you chose to do what you thought was right--to lead by example--and let the rest decide for themselves. That is very Fi.

Fi is admirable. I think Fe is too. That is what I mean when I say they are similar, but different. Two sides of the same coin, so to speak. Because Fi has moral strength even in the face of conformity--and Fe wants to spread what it believes in to others. Essentially, both are doing what they believe is "right." There is a mature and less mature way for them to do it, which is why Fe types might accuse Fi types of being selfish when they are not, and Fi types might accuse Fe types of being inauthentic or conforming to the hivemind when they are not.

Now, of course Fi and Fe are both willing to get involved in debates for the things they believe in. For Fe, it is more driven by a compulsive desire to have others value the same things they do. For Fi, it is more like to inform the other side of why they believe their value is correct, but their endgame is not necessarily to force the other person to change their mind.

I hope I am making sense. I'm trying my best. :p

Thank you for explaining. I think I understand better now. I'm only 16 years old so my xNFJ friends probably aren't fully mature yet. I think that to me it felt like they were bullying me by ganging up on me and calling me 'selfish' when I had done nothing wrong and because I hold my values close to heart, when other people try to push me into not following them, I feel angry at them. All I could think of was the fact that if I did order the meat, I was contributing to these poor animals being treated cruelly. That is literally torture for me imagining their suffering so it is very difficult to just 'put my values aside to get along'. And I definitely think I prefer to lead by example. In an ideal world, I would like everyone to share my values, but realistically I don't want to push everyone away by shoving my personal opinions down their throats so I put up with it - instead, informing others of why I have certain values and gently encouraging them to follow suit. I think it's because I value independence and freedom of choice a lot so I dislike the idea of taking those away from someone by forcing them to value what I value.

But when you said that Fe users only appear to conform - what happens when they are in a group and one of their values is crossed like mine above? Do they typically put their values aside for group harmony or not?

mystik_INFJ

Permabanned
But when you said that Fe users only appear to conform - what happens when they are in a group and one of their values is crossed like mine above? Do they typically put their values aside for group harmony or not?

Sorry to jump in, but in case of INFJs, when you have to choose between harmony and values, two things can happen:

1. Depression. Common with Fe doms, who usually go through the 5 stages of grief: denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance.
2. Ni-Ti looping. The equivalent of bluescreening. Usually leads to point 1 but may also lead to point 3.
3. Fi kicks in and you're saved. Sort of. Kinda. INFJs usually have a nice bag of good Fi somewhere after the primary Ni and secondary Fe cognitive functions. It's something that all INFJs posses, but not all have the same amount of Fi.

I personally go with the fuck all attitude and seek another group to join by association, but not by assimilation. I know, not very Fe, but being a Fe user all my life, I've learned that sometimes, you gotta think too, not just feel. You have to reach a balance between your values and the values of the group. You should not sacrifice your good values just for the sake of belonging. You will belong, but you will become depressed. The thing is, you would have become depressed even if you didn't join the group and suffered of isolation, but at least your values would have been spared the indignity of being trashed.