• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fe] How is Fe a feeling function for the Fe user?

Entp/infjGal

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w5
I never thought of myself as an extrovert until last year. I was never as outgoing as my ENTP bro or ENFP sis or my ESFP bf. I go through periods without a lot of interaction. I am very introspective.

But, looking back, I was the most outspoken student in every class and grade from preschool to grad school. Hell, I should post my preschool class picture and I am clearly the most extroverted child there..... (note to self, find old photo album). Class of 300 students and I am the one bantering with the professor. At a new workplace and I am the one making the rounds, chatting coworkers up. I was the person told I have "too much personality" for my profession.

My supposed introversion reflected defensive ego constructs from a difficult childhood.

I don't know for sure you are a ENFJ. But ENFJs are not the stereotypes from the internet.
O yes, that reflects my schooling as well. I remember constantly making the noise-maker's list and for being the leader of my little group of friends. If someone did something wrong to another, I would be told about it almost as if my disapproval would've made a difference. I do remember mothering my friends, especially those I thought were vulnerable and being somewhat protective. And stopping kids at a new school from excluding one girl from the game. Somehow I did this without fear, though I was new! Weird. I also was that annoying outspoken child throughout....until some point in my adolescence, then trouble began.

I am also not 100% certain of ENFJ but it feels most comfortable for now. I have been assured I am an unmistakable FE Dom by someone who really knows what they are talking about. Took him just a few minutes and he claims it is fairly hard to miss. If that's right, my only options are ENFJ or ESFJ. Between those two, I feel ENFJ comes closest to how I experience life, but I am not completely shutting out ESFJ. Just taking things slowly. :)

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe it's because my Ti is tertiary, but I only like getting enough information to make moves, maybe a little more so I don't end up in confusion.

Fe always felt like a tool for me than it is like a nature. You're right about the idea thing. I learned from T types to simply not care about how an idea can make others uncomfortable as long as the point I am making isn't of a crude or dark nature.

But then when it comes to science, there are so many details I have to remember and if I don't, I feel like something is missing and so for that I feel Ti'ish and I'm jealous of Te users who can sit and understand the "consensus" definition and get excellent grades while my Ni is like "you're not the rest, listen to your divine and inconsistent understanding" and I sometimes wish I could shut off Ni for academics because professors hate how I go on my own definition or theory or interpretations of things and I don't like how they could not consider my point of view and just rely on a book.

I just used my Fe to manipulate my Ni definitions to deceptively align with whatever the professor was yammering on about. Just tap into that Fe to size up your audience and tweak your definitions ever so slightly. I did quite well because of it.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I just used my Fe to manipulate my Ni definitions to deceptively align with whatever the professor was yammering on about. Just tap into that Fe to size up your audience and tweak your definitions ever so slightly. I did quite well because of it.

You're right. It's going to take a lot of growth. Ni can feel so Fi'ish with its loyalty to ideas and being true to it. ._. Might also be my 4 I have to overstep a lot.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Gosh damn it. I'm really starting to believe that Fe auxiliary users have the most difficult lives.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You're right. It's going to take a lot of growth. Ni can feel so Fi'ish with its loyalty to ideas and being true to it. ._. Might also be my 4 I have to overstep a lot.

I guess it truly depends on what you want. I just wanted to win "the game of getting good grades" so I did what I needed to do that would take the least amount of effort. Fe + e3, baby! haha

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, you're predominantly going to have loyalty to Ni, so you're probably going to be more of an "idea person" than worrying about Fe's agenda. As such, Fe is going to have a narrower scope. Te is also very context-based, it uses information relevant to the current situation whereas Ti will want to get the full background just for the sake of understanding.

The reason why I changed from INFJ to ENFJ is I am way too objective-oriented and results-oriented to be straight up Ni.

Us Ti doms are the ones who can punish by staying quite because we have learned all the intricate details and understanding and really dont care about outcome. We usually also lack the "Fi" value system that would give us that extra kick to talk because we have reasoned it out due to all the details.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
[MENTION=26269]Kheledon[/MENTION]

Wow, amazing write up man. I think that is the most succinct explanation I've heard for Socionics thus far. One thing I've always noticed with socionics is the desire to explain every bit of cognition in fluid detail (sometimes these details appear clunky to me though) and then to try to categorize it according to a system. It's almost like socionics makes the bold attempt to try to explain every facet of someone's personality down to why they will or will not work out with a partner of some type (i.e. the strong emphasis on duals). I can see how the socionics stress on interpersonal relationships would appeal to an F dom or 'ethical' dom. :newwink:

But I have a few follow up questions.

Does socionics ( or at least your understanding of it) posit that each Jungian function (N,S,T,F) is used proportionally in an introverted and extraverted form?
What I mean is let's say I'm an "Ne dom or N dom" does that mean I use N passively or externally for input, which is Ne, but then I 'switch' to Ni when I process the N internally? Does this make me equal parts Ne and Ni?

So there's been several refinements of MBTI theory and the one I found to have the most explanatory power ( or at least the most interesting) is the axes theory of functions. In other words there are really 8 functions instead of 16 since each of the 16 would have a corresponding function as its polar opposite. I'm sure you heard of this but the perceiving functions would be Ne/Si-Si/Ne and Ni/Se-Se/Ni to cite one example. It seems hard to explain "Se" without its introverted counterpart "Ni" according to this axes theory. What do you think of this approach?

If I'm understanding the introvert/extravert nature of socionics then are Ne/Ni , Fe/Fi actually always in pairs?

When you mention the extravert/introvert dance of functions in socionics (i.e. Fe/Fi) you mention an extraverted 'input' which then flips to an introverted 'process' which narrows it down which flips it back to an extraverted 'output.' Do I understand this correctly?

The axes theory of MBTI functions states something similar (sort of) but segregates reality from impressions of reality as far as the perceiving or irrational functions (N/S) go. So me, as an Ne dom, I would be a heavily polarized Ne-Si with most of my fat weight on Ne ( sort of like a seesaw). However it doesn't mean that I don't use my Si 'side' to some degree as I am using a concrete impressions on an associative picture of reality to narrow down what's relevant. Sort of like looking at a picture of city lights. There's a lot of objects in the picture but the lights stand out and the multitude of objects make the light more luminous on the picture as a whole. My Ne catch-all's the objects while Si emphasis the 'light' impression. Se/Ni is like a really narrowly focused picture on a particular object in exquisite detail. Ni then kicks in when it begins impressing associations with that particular object sort of like looking at a portrait of a woman with sea blue eyes and the sea blue is associated with other things that 'scream' sea blue while keeping in mind sea blue will be the tip of the iceberg of something far more meaningful. Ni=meaning here.

If the axis is more polarized (i.e. Dom/Inf) then there will be less balance and a heavy preference for one over the other sort of like a fat kid and a skinny kid on a seesaw which confers strengths and weaknesses in the axis but if the axis is auxiliary and tertiary (i.e. for me it would Ti/Fe) then its more like two medium sized kids on a seesaw sitting closer to the center with one slightly heavier than the other.

I guess my point is that in both theories I see similarities and compelling explanatory power for all the personality types.

I agree with you that standard Myers-Briggs that only looks at individual functions and makes a sales pitch with some fancy four letters isn't very informative in the least just like most online MBTI tests. :doh:

Look forward to your response.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Us Ti doms are the ones who can punish by staying quite because we have learned all the intricate details and understanding and really dont care about outcome. We usually also lack the "Fi" value system that would give us that extra kick to talk because we have reasoned it out due to all the details.
ha. you sly foxes. I would love to get to know an ISTP someday, because that whole process sounds quite interesting. I have only really talked to INTPs. lol

Kheledon

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=26269]Kheledon[/MENTION]

Wow, amazing write up man. I think that is the most succinct explanation I've heard for Socionics thus far. One thing I've always noticed with socionics is the desire to explain every bit of cognition in fluid detail (sometimes these details appear clunky to me though) and then to try to categorize it according to a system. It's almost like socionics makes the bold attempt to try to explain every facet of someone's personality down to why they will or will not work out with a partner of some type (i.e. the strong emphasis on duals). I can see how the socionics stress on interpersonal relationships would appeal to an F dom or 'ethical' dom. :newwink:

Thank you for the kind words, my friend. :cheers:

I am short on time, so I will need to address your follow-up questions in another post, but I wanted to respond immediately to your first paragraph. When you say that, "socionics makes the bold attempt to try to explain every facet of someone's personality down to why they will or will not work out with a partner of some type," you hit the nail on the head. That is the whole point of Socionics. Once you've nailed your own Sociotype, and once you've nailed the Sociotype of your life partner/romantic interest, Socionics is hauntingly accurate in describing the precise nature of the way that you and that other person will interact. It names and accurately describes each and every type of pairing, and I have never seen anything like it.

A chart and a description of the various relationship types can be found here: Socionics - the16types.info - Socionics Intertype Relations Chart

It's truly remarkable, imho. :shocking:

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I couldn't imagine what an Fi dom goes through if even I feel so strongly about my feelings and protecting them.

No kidding. It's no wonder they toke out. I can't imagine having to feel so much all the time. :shock: Poor souls.

Kheledon

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am also not 100% certain of ENFJ but it feels most comfortable for now. I have been assured I am an unmistakable FE Dom by someone who really knows what they are talking about. Took him just a few minutes and he claims it is fairly hard to miss. If that's right, my only options are ENFJ or ESFJ. Between those two, I feel ENFJ comes closest to how I experience life, but I am not completely shutting out ESFJ. Just taking things slowly. :)

Those two choices are worlds apart, in my experience. The fact that you feel you "may" be an introvert causes me to lean heavily toward ENFj as opposed to ESFj for you. Most of us ENFjs have such thin emotional boundaries that we must isolate ourselves from the world, quite regularly, just to avoid "feeling" it all the time. It's overwhelming.

Are you the type of person who talks to others (a lot) just because you enjoy the human interaction? That's ESFj (ESE, Alpha). ENFjs (EIE, Beta) are not nearly so talkative in my experience (unless we're either lecturing, warning people of future dangers, trying to "save" the people we care about, "performing" because we need a lot more external validation than most types, or actively trying to change the emotional states of others). The fact that you're even posting here also inclines me toward ENFj because S types are far less likely than N types, in my experience, to read and post on internet forums.

Are you democratic or aristocratic? (ESE is democratic and focused on the individual whereas EIE is aristocratic and focused on the collective.)

Are you judicious or decisive? (ESE is judicious and in a natural state of relative peace and relaxation but can really feel stress when it rears its ugly head whereas EIE is in a constant state of stress and readiness but can really feel relaxation.)

Socionics - the16types.info - Reinin Dichotomies: Research Results (You will have to scroll down a bit to get to the descriptions of the two Reinin dichotomies that I mentioned above.)

Those two Reinin dichotomies ought to be able to settle the issue for you. I hope so, in any event. Good luck!

:hi:

á´…eparted

passages
I couldn't imagine what an Fi dom goes through if even I feel so strongly about my feelings and protecting them.

I also think this is unfair, though not as bad. There's often the assumption that F-dominant types feel a lot, or feel strongly. However, there are plenty that don't, or they do and simply don't think of it that way. It perpetuates the false image that (in this case) F-dom types are all going to be caught up in feelings all the time. A great many do, but just as many don't, and there are those here would point that out, or apply distinctions to this.

Sorry for being a debbie downer, but these sorts of generalizations just don't help very much even when well intended :D. Though admitadly I am one to talk because I feel A LOT of things ALL the time and it is exhausting!

No kidding. It's no wonder they toke out. I can't imagine having to feel so much all the time. :shock: Poor souls.

and this is just rude.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I also think this is unfair, though not as bad. There's often the assumption that F-dominant types feel a lot, or feel strongly. However, there are plenty that don't, or they do and simply don't think of it that way. It perpetuates the false image that (in this case) F-dom types are all going to be caught up in feelings all the time. A great many do, but just as many don't, and there are those here would point that out, or apply distinctions to this.

Sorry for being a debbie downer, but these sorts of generalizations just don't help very much even when well intended :D. Though admitadly I am one to talk because I feel A LOT of things ALL the time and it is exhausting!

and this is just rude.

You are rude.

I am validating the feelings of an Fi user. I have known enough infps in my life to be able to see that feeling all the time takes a toll on you. Especially if they happen to also be HSPs. Seeing how much I control feeling coming in to myself, and how powerful it is, has made me more aware of the difficulties of being an INFP, and to a lesser extent, an enfp.

If you don't like it, be quiet. I'm sure there are plenty here who appreciate the things I am saying.

á´…eparted

passages
I am validating the feelings of an Fi user. I have known enough infps in my life to be able to see that feeling all the time takes a toll on you. Especially if they happen to also be HSPs. Seeing how much I control feeling coming in to myself, and how powerful it is, has made me more aware of the difficulties of being an INFP, and to a lesser extent, an enfp.

Sure, that's fine, but you did not make that clear. Saying "no wonder they toke it out" is just as bad as saying "no wonder ESTP's drink". It's an old, tired, unfair stereotype that sheds a bad and unfair light on a type grouping. Further, it implies that they can't handle themselves, which is simply not the case. Which, is precisely why it is rude to say such a thing.

If you don't like it, be quiet. I'm sure there are plenty here who appreciate the things I am saying.

I don't work that way.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sure, that's fine, but you did not make that clear. Saying "no wonder they toke it out" is just as bad as saying "no wonder ESTP's drink". It's an old, tired, unfair stereotype that sheds a bad and unfair light on a type grouping. Further, it implies that they can't handle themselves, which is simply not the case. Which, is precisely why it is rude to say such a thing.

I don't work that way.

I understand your pov. It just gets tedious when we can't laugh about things, and have to make everything so serious.

I just prefer a more lighthearted way of being. LIfe is short. I believe in laughing. At myself, with other, at this crazy life.

You prefer being very pc. That is your prerogative and a very popular way of being in our world today. So good for you.

á´…eparted

passages
I understand your pov. It just gets tedious when we can't laugh about things, and have to make everything so serious.

I just prefer a more lighthearted way of being. LIfe is short. I believe in laughing. At myself, with other, at this crazy life.

You prefer being very pc. That is your prerogative and a very popular way of being in our world today. So good for you.

Considering this forum has had issues in the past with stereotypes leading to in-fighting between types (most notoriously INFP's and INFJ's), it's unproductive to joke about some stereotypes related to types. Not everything is kosher. Joke about types within individuals you're friends with, or poke fun at yourself, that's all good. However, making broad stroke statements where it is not clear at all if it's meant as a joke is prolematic, in particular when they are belittling. In some cases, it shouldn't even be joked about at all.

You may want to laugh at things, but there is a time and a place for that.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Considering this forum has had issues in the past with stereotypes leading to in-fighting between types (most notoriously INFP's and INFJ's), it's unproductive to joke about some stereotypes related to types. Not everything is kosher. Joke about types within individuals you're friends with, or poke fun at yourself, that's all good. However, making broad stroke statements where it is not clear at all if it's meant as a joke is prolematic, in particular when they are belittling. In some cases, it shouldn't even be joked about at all.

You may want to laugh at things, but there is a time and a place for that.

Be that as it may, watch your tone with me.

I don't appreciate your condescension or self-righteousness.

Best not to interact with me.