• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Not convinced by some aspects of the 8 cognitive functions hypothesis

AdamK

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Hi. I want to "Throw this out there" and see what other people have to say, even if it's "You couldn't be more wrong." I freely admit I'm not a psychologist, so maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I'm not fully convinced that the 8 cognitive functions (Ne, Ni etc...) must go in opposing pairs for everyone. To take myself as an example (although I doubt I'm the only one who has experienced this), hypothetically my Fe should be easier to use and more effective than my Ti. I think the opposite is true. In fact, I think my Ti developed earlier than my Fe, and I identify as much with Si as with Se. To make it a little less personal, there are probably very introverted types who tend to use their introverted child function more than their extroverted parent function, because introverted functions probably feel easier. Same with extroverted types and their extroverted functions. So, instead of functions always being in opposing pairs, wouldn't it make sense to re-order them as an individual, so that they reflect how well-developed your functions are? So, an INTJ might actually be more of an Ni, Fi, Te, Se in rare cases, to give one possible example.

SensEye

MBTI Type
INTp
Just for the record, I agree with you.

I don't even have any expertise on the cognitive functions theory. I can recall when I first discovered MBTI that I thought the 16 type descriptions were reasonably accurate and in general, when somebody was typed in a category, they exhibited the characteristics of the type as far as I could assess.

I was specifically interested in my own type (INTP) and how it applied to me since I know myself rather intimately. The INTP classification fit me really well (although in many aspects so does the INTJ classification, but not as well as INTP).

Later, when I looked into the 8 cognitive functions, almost right away I found the further information about behavior characteristics provided therein did not fit me very well. Myself being the best person who's behavior I can reliably assess. As such, I dismissed the cognitive function theory right away, even though I don't feel I am qualified to really speak to it.

I tend to say I find MBTI categorizations very accurate in the general sense, but not that good in the specific. So it puts people into their silos fairly well, but when it comes to explaining differences with the silos, it doesn't give you all that much to go on. Which makes sense, in that 16 categories is not going to even come close to addressing all the variances in individual personalities. I believe the cognitive function theory is an attempt to provide more granularity, but it doesn't seem valid (or it didn't at first glance, and then I lost interest).

AdamK

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I agree that everyone can use all 8 functions, but they have a tendency to use some strongly, and some less efficiently. The problem comes when you try to put a formal structure on it. It's a useful thing to do in some ways, but the structure(s) we currently use don't account for individuals, they try to put everyone into broad patterns. Fine, but they also say "Everyone must fit into these patterns" (which might have been part of the point you were making, but I'm not sure I 100% followed what you were trying to say.)

AdamK

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Ok. Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry, but you lost me with the math stuff. Maybe it should be its own separate post. Perhaps us not knowing how personality is shaped is the problem. I think what I'm going to take from this, if it's ok with you, is that there are different systems and different ways of expressing one's personality, all of which are valid. Also, perhaps this is because of my poor understanding, but isn't this numerology in some sense?

Last edited:

AdamK

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I would not call it numerology. Math is measurement.

In the pictures you see numbers of parts in the 8 cognitive function you have eight parts. Mechanics is involved. Switching is involved. one hole can be divided into three lots of 33.3333 and so on.

As an example, 3+3+3+3+3+3+3+3 = 24 you may sit back and say hog dig that's some mity fine number counting going on right there. But I think of twenty-four fields.

Anyway, I did not want to post it I posted it on my FitchenFlys number pattern page. My point was we don't know what hosts mind we know the brain is obviously involved. I sheared something I just posted one day ago in the enneagram section and reposted it hear because within the number pattern the eight cognitive functions and three instincts works within the number pattern and the hole brain four quadrant model. I would have thought that is interesting.

But you think it is crap not worth thinking about. I say keep thinking about your eight cognitive functions, it's interesting and enjoyable. But don't bother thinking any deeper because you may have to be creative, and you are much to respectable to be seen to be thinking creatively. Unless of course you are going to utilise the arts to enrich you readers understanding by walking us though how the 8 cognitive functions are illuminating great understanding within a great piece of performance art. Maybe you could write a play entitled An ally Cat Call Joan. About a homosexual man trapped in a female's body who finds inner peace by identifying as a cat and dedicates its focus to leading a great woke marches to literate western universities from the oppressions of logic.

That would entertain me.
I didn't mean to cause you offence. I'm sure what you've written is interesting. The truth is I simply didn't understand it. You're really talking to the wrong person here, which is nobody's fault. I'm more of a humanities person than a STEM person, and I haven't looked at this level of Maths or science since high school, over 20 years ago. I apologise if my calling it numerology offended you, or if I gave you the impression that I understood but dismissed your ideas out of hand. You're clearly very excited to share them. I'm just not the right person to share them with. I honestly think you're over-reacting here. There's no need to be sarcastic.

AdamK

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Thanks. That makes me feel better. Environment make sense. Sometimes I feel like my Fe is caused by childhood trauma, not because it's a part of my true self.

The Cat

Offering FREE Monkey paws down at the Crossroads.
Staff member
If I were to hazard a guess, and AdamK can confirm or deny as it applies to them, but it occurs to me that one who grew up with trauma might be a little more tuned into the temperature of the room by reflex.

AdamK

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
That's what I meant The Cat. I became afraid of not keeping people happy because of my childhood experiences, so I engaged in what I used to think were Fe activities. It's a defence mechanism. It's also hard to maintain because it doesn't feel honest sometimes.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
During Dario Nardi's AMA here a few years ago, I asked him about the impact on trauma on type. He noted that traumatic childhoods, in particular, could cause altered function development.

Additionally, I like using Quenk's "Was that really me?" She found through her many years of working and researching and analyzing and testing for the Official MBTI that people could dwell inside their inferior, being in the grip, thereby distorting type.

The example that stayed with me was a woman Quenk knew to be a ENFP from earlier testing appeared a decade later to be a mal developed ESTJ. She out the woman had moved to a very stressful management position and so got caught in the grip of inferior Te.

KitchenFly

Ok AdamK you have talking about childhood trauma as an INFJ and your Fe focus. With out getting into the nut an bolds of it all as an INFP when I had issues of experiencing childhood trauma, I experienced my Ne which made my emotion experience large, and my-Fi felt a tendency towards a questioning of-self and others I felt affected by at a very raw almost hyper focused personal level of experience. One thing I learned to do was to generate/find a balance within my experience that could only be described as splitting my attention between FI and Fe while allowing the Ne energy to be in the now-moment. This required making my focus about presence Ing Self. In this phycological space I was able to perceive without judgment the larger picture and reframe my understanding by naturally allowing content of concern/prier concern to dissolve as a new context was/is attained in the moment. What followed was an ability to stand in truth while speaking truths in a nonjudgmental manner. In a strange way a four-part balance was in lay between He and Ni and Fi and Fe as if I was exercising my hole brain activity quadrants: 1111 adult-mind function.

I know we are not talking about the hole brain model we are talking about the eight cognitive functions. But I believe it was relevant to mention since the goal is to learn how to transcend or free the self from the trauma felt or trauma being experienced. Nor shore how it all works with trauma relived because I do not experience that kind of phycological experience.

Since you made reference to authentic self I though this may be relevant. Presence draws one to their own essential nature or essential core energy one of nine. In what I have spoken about the self-shift's attention from egoic mind set one of eighteen to core personality energy one nine. One connects with the authentic self where real change within is possible.

Was this helpful? I managed to communicate with minimal numerology only the numerology what was essential to speak of the metaphysical in play.

Last edited:

AdamK

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Thanks. This is useful, but I don't want this thread to be about my own problems. As grateful as I am for any advice people give me, I'd rather people posted things about what they think of the order of the functions. Of course, you're free to write what you want, but I'm going through therapy, so I will deal with these problems. Or, if this thread is now over, because there's nothing else to say, that's fine too.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I read and thought about type development quite a bit a few years ago. One theorist I read had the dominant function as something we do automatically and develop without thinking about. While our secondary begins to develop, we are more aware about that, so it gets confusing.
Then as we get closer to young adulthood, our inferior comes into play and we need to integrate that with our dominant, long before we get too involved with the tertiary. This may be partially why teenagers can suddenly act out and struggle. ExTJs get freaked out by their Fi and such.
By the mid 20s, this is mostly done.
But then we have our shadow.
Shadow work is challenging. It comes against our nature. A FJ exploring Fi or an FP exploring Fe is not easy. The inverse of our dominant function may be just as very strong, just difficult to address and mostly subconscious. Upon development, it may become as strong as our secondary function and even conscious.
As I noted before, trauma disrupts everything. It can trap someone in their inferior or even in their shadow. Being trapped puts at our worst, because we don't access or develop our most powerful and easy to use functions.