• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why is Fi the most devauled or unappreciated function?

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Naw, I was just responding to what PeaceBaby said about Fe users feeling persecuted. I don't think that we really do, despite some people on the forum complaining about hive mentality or their Fe Dom mothers.

But I thought you explained well why Fi is often undervalued. I also agree that it's pretty powerful when wielded well.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
@Yamato Nadeshiko here's how I'd approach stereotypically bad functions:

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Did you mean Fi instead of Fe? :p

Well, Fe sometimes gets a shitty wrap too.

:nono: For shitty wraps, go to Mc Donald. Depends how we use it, whether Fi or Fe, like dicks, knives, and many other sharp tools.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Naw, I was just responding to what PeaceBaby said about Fe users feeling persecuted. I don't think that we really do, despite some people on the forum complaining about hive mentality or their Fe Dom mothers.

But I thought you explained well why Fi is often undervalued. I also agree that it's pretty powerful when wielded well.

It makes sense for Fe since Fe tends to seek out what everyone has in common rather than Fi which might look for those things that make us unique and different from each other.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Are there any threads asking a similar question like the OP, but referring to Fe? I don't remember seeing one.

My impression is that Fi is the least understood of the judging functions, so it is good to examine it and compare definitions. The opposite definitions that exist cause confusion, so threads like this are valuable to examine Fi if they result in clarification.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
:nono: For shitty wraps, go to Mc Donald. Depends how we use it, whether Fi or Fe, like dicks, knives, and many other sharp tools.

Are you saying some dicks should be registered as lethal weapons?

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Are there any threads asking a similar question like the OP, but referring to Fe? I don't remember seeing one.

My impression is that Fi is the least understood of the judging functions, so it is good to examine it and compare definitions. The opposite definitions that exist cause confusion, so threads like this are valuable to examine Fi if they result in clarification.

I agree but I think a lot of people that see 'bad Fi' are actually seeing bad Te (the uncompromising rigidness, etc.)

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree but I think a lot of people that see 'bad Fi' are actually seeing bad Te (the uncompromising rigidness, etc.)
You make a very good point there.

I've never had a negative impression of Fi, so I cannot personally relate to the negative stereotypes. I have always thought it is a beautiful function. My mother and sister are both strongly Fi-doms and I adore them both. My favorite artists tend to be Fi-doms. When Fi-doms are negative and hurtful, I end up wondering if they are a different type, although of course there are hurtful people of every type, including Fi-doms. I've never argued on the offensive with other Fi-doms, only defensively on rare occassions, even before I identified as one. I mostly have wonderful, peaceful interactions.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A

I don't think you feel persecuted either, but I do think some of the ISFJs on the forum feel like they're the second-string, and this is more based on a particular stereotype of Si that Ni doms and auxs like to parrot about.

However, you are taking the words I said and contorting them to mean something I did not say. I said, and I'll explain the same concept in a fresh way, whenever something negative voiced about Fe comes into play, the very nature of Fe means that the negativity is amplified, heard louder, assigned more weight and meaning based on the way this function operates and manifests. So it's natural when Fe hears complaints to assign them more gravity, since they fly in the face of what commonalities we share, and threaten a particular kind of stability.

Nowhere did I say the word persecuted, nor is it an appropriate extrapolation from what I said.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I've had people on here and vent openly tell me that fi is the worse function because it only cares about itself. and that is simply not true. I don't see people calling fe selfish.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Because undeveloped Fi types are insufferably self absorbed. Even the most underdeveloped Fe user can care about other people at least a little bit.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

While I do think there's something to this, I also think 'bad Ne' is a thing (lots and lots of calm shapeshifty/self-serving logic ). Te comes across as trying to dictate the lion's share of reality through force of will (much like Fe), whereas Ne comes across as trying to dictate the lion's share of reality via calm but shallow a priori logic. Se is sort of a weird admixture of the two (force of will and shapeshifty logic), ime.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
My apologies [MENTION=5999]PeaceBaby[/MENTION]. That was not my intent. It just seems that you are painting a whole group of people with very broad strokes.

But I would readily say that introverted feeling is often misrepresented, misunderstood, and undervalued. Fi users have at times been stereotyped across the board, which also is not fair.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
even when my fi was underdeveloped i still cared about people. Fi =/= is not uncaring about people ffs. fi is having your own set of values that may or may not be the same as societies. It's not that fi people don't care about others because they do. If an Fi person seems selfish it's because their being true to themselves and the other person doesn't agree with the stance. Fi or at least me is fine with people having a different pov about a situation. if someone's having a hard time i'll relate my experience not to be like oh i've had it worse but to give them perspective. if i don't offer anything it's because i do not have a similar experience and me trying to offer comfort seems fake.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
My apologies [MENTION=5999]PeaceBaby[/MENTION]. That was not my intent. It just seems that you are painting a whole group of people with very broad strokes.

That is you saying that, NOT ME. YOUR extrapolation. YOUR interpretation. YOUR misrepresentation. You making shit up. AS USUAL. Get out the reading glasses fid, you sure could use them. Yes, you piss me off. Yes, I am going to insult you. This informs me that your ability to interpret words as they are laid out on the page is as limited as it was in the past, and you still consistently assign whatever meaning suits your fancy as strikes you in the moment. You are SO BLIND to it!

News flash folks: there's bad Fe, bad Fi, bad Ne, bad Ni, bad Te, bad Ti, bad Se and bad Si.

Rendering all further discussion meaningless; however, since we're going to discuss a function set you don't have, it's not. And direct to you from the types that like to claim, "Anyone can doorslam, you know, typology doesn't describe behaviour, all types doorslam ... but oh, this is what bad Fi / bad Te / bad whatever function I don't have looks like."

It's really very funny.

The door of double-standards hits you all in the ass but there's not even enough self-awareness to realize that. Instead, you take offence that your butt hurts and blame the next person through the door instead of yourself.

pfft.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think inferior Te has a lot to do with it and that a common weakness for IxFPs is getting their ideas rolling with more structured thought. All types are very not fun to be near when they are unhealthy, but an unhealthy IxFP would be best defined as unproductive, which might be why people are more inclined to encourage them into developing all their functions. Some people just can't stand that unhealthy inferior Te. It's probably a personal thing and varies from person to person. Like I think I can tolerate unhealthy inferior Te, at least more than I can unhealthy inferior Se (looking at you, INxJs).

I'd suggest not taking it to heart. And I don't mean that in a "Fi types are SO sensitive" way, but in a productive and empathetic way. I would see it as a pro of being an IxFP more so than a con. Instead of 'why does everyone think IxFPs need improvement more than other types', think of it as 'IxFPs get more encouragement than other types to better themselves'.

Besides, at least you aren't an ExTJ, where your unhealthy functions are romanticized for some sick reason.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
While I do think there's something to this, I also think 'bad Ne' is a thing (lots and lots of calm shapeshifty/self-serving logic ). Te comes across as trying to dictate the lion's share of reality through force of will (much like Fe), whereas Ne comes across as trying to dictate the lion's share of reality via calm but shallow a priori logic. Se is sort of a weird admixture of the two (force of will and shapeshifty logic), ime.

'Bad Ne' to me would be constructing negative associations between things (negativity as perceived by the one making the observations) that typically l lead to states of anxiety. Also, a wild goose chase with ideas that are likely to lead to a conspiracy web of associations that also lead to anxiety, extreme cynicism, arrogance, and/or misanthropic behavior. It's like thinking you see the big picture better than most people around you so they must be dumb.

I see your point though and I think it's pretty good.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I do think it's interesting that people are saying they've never seen Fe get shit on but see it happen to Fi all the time. It's the opposite experience for me. Regardless, I still think Si is shit on more than either of those two. I have definitely seen the selfish Fi user stereotype, though not as much as I've seen the hivemind one. We're probably just more sensitive to hate towards our own functions than we are to others'.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
That is you saying that, NOT ME. YOUR extrapolation. YOUR interpretation. YOUR misrepresentation. You making shit up. AS USUAL. Get out the reading glasses fid, you sure could use them. Yes, you piss me off. Yes, I am going to insult you. This informs me that your ability to interpret words as they are laid out on the page is as limited as it was in the past, and you still consistently assign whatever meaning suits your fancy as strikes you in the moment. You are SO BLIND to it!

News flash folks: there's bad Fe, bad Fi, bad Ne, bad Ni, bad Te, bad Ti, bad Se and bad Si.

Rendering all further discussion meaningless; however, since we're going to discuss a function set you don't have, it's not. And direct to you from the types that like to claim, "Anyone can doorslam, you know, typology doesn't describe behaviour, all types doorslam ... but oh, this is what bad Fi / bad Te / bad whatever function I don't have looks like."

It's really very funny.

The door of double-standards hits you all in the ass but there's not even enough self-awareness to realize that. Instead, you take offence that your butt hurts and blame the next person through the door instead of yourself.

pfft.

What would be helpful for you? I thought I was being respectful to you by not ignoring your comments, but maybe that was the wrong reasoning. I think you're intelligent and have insights that I don't.

It may seem to you that I am being intentionally obtuse, but I can assure you,. I'm not intentionally trying to be myopic or antagonistic. Any foot stepping on I've done has not been because I was trying to diminish or upset you. I honestly didn't realize.