• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

To Small Dog Haters

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Cats just don't understand what hierarchy means as its foreign to them :D
They just go 'dude, what's your problem?'
It also means they are on their own though..if 5 cats are sitting near each other and a big mean dog goes to one of the cats...the rest just watches the interaction and only deals with the dog if it threatens them. That cat is on its own.

Im aware that dogs feel safer in a pack with a clear leader. Im not arguing to deny them that...Im just saying that I don't agree with the way in which that leadership is established in his case. Honey vs vinegar, really. Vinegar is fine for when speed and efficiency is essential as you need to fall in line quickly to get something done that is vital to the group. I prefer honey for when there isn't an outside evil to combat or goal to obtain that enforces our bond naturally during down time when boredom kicks in and people get snippy though.

If you re interested in comparing techniques though you should research a british lady called Victoria. She did her show on...Animal Planet, I think, to compete with Cesars National Geographic show and their philosophy on how to train dogs is...very different, but they get similar results and she too preaches leadership as you are right, that is what a dog requires to feel safe. Hers is clearly more...technique oriented vs his instinctual approach, and focuses on drawing boundaries in a way that communicates to the animal in a non-fearful way that this behaviour is not acceptable, as well as positive reinforcement to get the dog to try something new and train a new behaviour that would be beneficial to the owners and the dog. Otoh, she would not take the risk he does with aggressive dogs, and rightly so, with her techniques. I wish he would do the same or at least teach caution to those using his technique with animals vulnerable to abuse aka young, timid, senior and phobic animals. In that field, her techniques really do shine, I feel.

Yeah, I guess, what the show doesn't teach them is, that he is 3rd party that intervenes, by challenging both the dog and the owner and then leaves. The owner can't play both roles. So Victoria's method is the best method when it is only the "owner" and their pet.
:kick me:

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
I don't really like dogs, period.

They smell, are slobbery, and pests lol.

MaxMad244

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't really like dogs, period.

They smell, are slobbery, and pests lol.
I have to agree with this. I don't like dogs. I am not a dog person. And If I did get a dog it would be a big one for protection. The little ones are nice though. Not as much poop to pick up.