• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Sports Random Thought Thread

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Chiefs squeeeaaakkkkked out that win on the strength of Patrick Mahomes doing Patrick Mahomes things. Perhaps in exchange for his generational football talent the football gods gave him a Kermit the frog voice as his Achilles heel. The raiders look really, really good though, too.

Tomb1

That was a great game and excellent read on the LV defense in KC's final scoring play...Patrick Mahomes (strongest arm in the NFL) and Tyreek Hill (fastest 40 yard dash in the NFL) makes for a vicious offense

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
That was a great game and excellent read on the LV defense in KC's final scoring play...but Patrick Mahomes (strongest arm in the NFL) and Tyreek Hill (fastest 40 yard dash in the NFL) makes for a vicious offense

Agreed. The Raiders should definitely have a lot to feel excited about. They're much better than I thought they were.

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thank you, thank you, God! My friend said I shouldn't play Mahomes today after the Raiders beat the Chiefs the last time. I was right, he can suck it. (Raiders aren't a joke, though.)

z91VC7P.png

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thank you, thank you, God! My friend said I shouldn't play Mahomes today after the Raiders beat the Chiefs the last time. I was right, he can suck it. (Raiders aren't a joke, though.)

z91VC7P.png

atta boy. Never quit on Mahomie.

- - - Updated - - -

The Chiefs squeeeaaakkkkked out that win on the strength of Patrick Mahomes doing Patrick Mahomes things. Perhaps in exchange for his generational football talent the football gods gave him a Kermit the frog voice as his Achilles heel. The raiders look really, really good though, too.

hahahaha I love Mahomes though!!!!! he's such a nice guy.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
atta boy. Never quit on Mahomie.

- - - Updated - - -

hahahaha I love Mahomes though!!!!! he's such a nice guy.

I was just poking fun at him. More seriously, Mahomes seems like an absolute class act. Guy is already 25 years old, has won a superbowl, is well within striking distance to repeat (definitely no Superbowl hangover here -- Meanwhile in Philadelphia....), and seems very humble and grounded despite signing far and way the most lucrative contract in NFL history. Barring some horrific injury, he seems on pace to give Brady's career resume a serious run for its money. Also, Kansas City seems all in on him and all in on winning and winning now -- you can't really ask for a better situation as a player.

That said, Did anyone besides me notice Cleveland is 7-3? This I'd probably the first time they've started this well since the Bernie Kosar days. I'm happy for those guys. They definitely went through the gauntlet of terrible coaching and inept management to make it to this point, so I'm happy to finally experience the success their roster was capable up. The Kevin Stefanski hire shows just how absolutely vital solid coaching is to a teams success.

I read a report this morning saying the state of Ohio is considering, depending on how things pan out, to declare a state of emergency in order to prepare infrastructure in the event it appears they'll actually be playing meaningful football in late December/early January.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I was just poking fun at him. More seriously, Mahomes seems like an absolute class act. Guy is already 25 years old, has won a superbowl, is well within striking distance to repeat (definitely no Superbowl hangover here -- Meanwhile in Philadelphia....), and seems very humble and grounded despite signing far and way the most lucrative contract in NFL history. Barring some horrific injury, he seems on pace to give Brady's career resume a serious run for its money. Also, Kansas City seems all in on him and all in on winning and winning now -- you can't really ask for a better situation as a player.

That said, Did anyone besides me notice Cleveland is 7-3? This I'd probably the first time they've started this well since the Bernie Kosar days. I'm happy for those guys. They definitely went through the gauntlet of terrible coaching and inept management to make it to this point, so I'm happy to finally experience the success their roster was capable up. The Kevin Stefanski hire shows just how absolutely vital solid coaching is to a teams success.

I read a report this morning saying the state of Ohio is considering, depending on how things pan out, to declare a state of emergency in order to prepare infrastructure in the event it appears they'll actually be playing meaningful football in late December/early January.

I am genuinely happy for Cleveland after seeing their struggle for years. Like their fans are fucking LOYAL. Also Baker is just the perfect attitude fit.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

No I absolutely heard about that 3 or 4 times yesterday, in addition to Ohio State on Saturday. I mean, I'm generally sitting RIGHT NEXT TO YOU ON THE COUCH WATCHING THESE GAMES TOO, DEAR HUSBAND!

I have a very firm grasp on what losing for an entire lifetime looks like so I'm happy for most Cleveland fans.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Colin Kaep's name exists again and I guess I was wondering what people's general consensus was about the situation?

I feel like personally because the locker room drama created but the fact he totally had fallen off and at that point was not even a starting QB anymore leads him more without a job. I mean if you produce but you are a drama creator you can still find work. Look at Antonio Brown, Cam Newton, and even Terrell Owens back in the day.

He doesn't have a job now because he wasn't producing well before the incident. Does anyone disagree at this point? I could see in the peak time not wanting to get involved, but by now, if he had talent, I think someone would've hit him up?

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Tom Brady throwing that pick in crunch time at the end of the game last night? Glorious, just absolutely glorious. The Rams could have sealed the game earlier if it weren't for McVey's continued insistence on smashmouth offense (at least 3 times during the late 3rd and 4th, they decided to run on 3rd & 8). Before that, Jared Goff was perfect on 3rd downs because he was mixing it up, keeping the reins in Rams' hands. But, you know what Tampa Bay's defense is like; you can't run the same plays over and over and not expect them to adjust accordingly.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joe Burrow and now Rex Burkhead? Hide yo kids, hide yo wife, 'cause they tearin' err'bodys ACL out here!

Seriously, though, ACL tears are 2020s final act of cruelty.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Colin Kaep's name exists again and I guess I was wondering what people's general consensus was about the situation?

I feel like personally because the locker room drama created but the fact he totally had fallen off and at that point was not even a starting QB anymore leads him more without a job. I mean if you produce but you are a drama creator you can still find work. Look at Antonio Brown, Cam Newton, and even Terrell Owens back in the day.

He doesn't have a job now because he wasn't producing well before the incident. Does anyone disagree at this point? I could see in the peak time not wanting to get involved, but by now, if he had talent, I think someone would've hit him up?

I think this is a convenient talking point. I hear it all the time, not by anyone looking at statistics but people like Jason Whitlock or Will Cain who fill brains with this idiotic bullshit.

Antonio Brown only sexually assaulted and threatened a woman, the NFL is full of players like this. Much different than a Trump tweet rallying his psychotic supporters to murder team executives that even think about signing a black activist.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think this is a convenient talking point. I hear it all the time, not by anyone looking at statistics but people like Jason Whitlock or Will Cain who fill brains with this idiotic bullshit.

Antonio Brown only sexually assaulted and threatened a woman, the NFL is full of players like this. Much different than a Trump tweet rallying his psychotic supporters to murder team executives that even think about signing a black activist.

It pains me how casually this can be said for NFL players. x.x I remember disliking Adrian Peterson for getting a job after abusing his child, or Jameis Winston getting away with collegiate rape. x.x And I just regularly hate these people forward into their careers as well.

I hadn't heard anything about that level of death threat o.o but then shouldn't the people threatening be held accountable rather than a team who is too afraid to sign him?

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member

Meanwhile Nathan Peterman, Mark Sanchez, Sam Bradford, Blake Bortles, Gino Smith were able to find QB spots in the NFL before Kaep. What's funny is that all the major sports organizations have ended up following suit after the George Floyd murder with the movement Kaepernick started and brought attention to back in 2016. Kaep was talking about bringing awareness to police violence back in 2-0-1-6, and none of these owners and organizations cared until the problem escalated, and reached a point where NOT choosing a side basically became choosing the wrong side and followed suit. Do you think Roger Goodell gives one shit about BLM? Absolutely not, but he knows optics are important. Furthermore, you do realize the NFL settled out with Kaep on the collusion suit after rumors came out about a leaked email to the owners. The NFL has basically co-opted his movement while both not giving him credit for it AND actively pushing him out of it.

The NFL, with their seemingly endless supply of funds, connections, and resources, would never have settled if there was not some actual fire behind all that smoke.

Kaep was having a down year in SF that last season, but he was also playing for head coach Chip Kelly who proved to be a bist headcoach at the NFL level, plus I think he finished the season with 16 TDs to 4 picks. Not earth shattering numbers but for anyone to say he was done and didn't even warrant a proper workout based solely on performance and not due to the kneeling is being completely disingenuous.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Meanwhile Nathan Peterman, Mark Sanchez, Sam Bradford, Blake Bortles, Gino Smith were able to find QB spots in the NFL before Kaep. What's funny is that all the major sports organizations have ended up following suit after the George Floyd murder with the movement Kaepernick started and brought attention to back in 2016. Kaep was talking about bringing awareness to police violence back in 2-0-1-6, and none of these owners and organizations cared until the problem escalated, and reached a point where NOT choosing a side basically became choosing the wrong side and followed suit. Do you think Roger Goodell gives one shit about BLM? Absolutely not, but he knows optics are important. Furthermore, you do realize the NFL settled out with Kaep on the collusion suit after rumors came out about a leaked email to the owners. The NFL has basically co-opted his movement while both not giving him credit for it AND actively pushing him out of it.

The NFL, with their seemingly endless supply of funds, connections, and resources, would never have settled if there was not some actual fire behind all that smoke.

Kaep was having a down year in SF that last season, but he was also playing for head coach Chip Kelly who proved to be a bist headcoach at the NFL level, plus I think he finished the season with 16 TDs to 4 picks. Not earth shattering numbers but for anyone to say he was done and didn't even warrant a proper workout based solely on performance and not due to the kneeling is being completely disingenuous.

x.x don't remind me of Geno Smith. That's what Seattle has if Russell plops down...

I guess my dilemma is hearing a couple teams (I think the ravens?) had offered him a position but lower pay and he'd be a backup, and Colin wants to be a starter. So it appeared to me his choice led him to not having a team. Not so much that no one wanted him in any form. Most of these players are now backups and were willing to take any position on a roster.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
x.x don't remind me of Geno Smith. That's what Seattle has if Russell plops down...

I guess my dilemma is hearing a couple teams (I think the ravens?) had offered him a position but lower pay and he'd be a backup, and Colin wants to be a starter. So it appeared to me his choice led him to not having a team. Not so much that no one wanted him in any form. Most of these players are now backups and were willing to take any position on a roster.

The only team I heard that was ever linked to Kaepernick was Baltimore, and I think that was all posturing. They paraded around Ray Lewis as if he was supposed to be brokering the deal and the spokesperson, yet then Ray went on all the sports shows and said the deal was rescinded due to a Kaep's girlfriend tweeting this photo. Not one did they ever reach out to Kaep about it, they just said they were no longer interested. I'm just not buying it, personally. Never once has he outlined any stipulations to his return outside of him simply stating he's still interested in playing. Teams either don't want the backlash from the media/fans, or, presumably, were instructed not to do so the league, which is corroborated by the fact that they paid him a lump sum of money and had him sign NDAs.

(To be fair that photo was fucking hilarious, though. Humor has to count for something, right?)

Edit: also check out this link. In 2019 the NFL decided to host a "workout" for Kaep at the Falcons facility, yet wanted him to sign all sorts of unorthodox waivers filled with many hidden clauses (one of which I think forbid him to file lawsuits against the NFL going forward). Given everything that went on regarding Kaepernick, this isn't a situation where he simply wasn't good anymore and the league moved on from him. Even in his workout footage that he hosted independently after declining the NFL's offer once he read the contracts, he still looks like he has a rocket for an arm.

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
1) Lakers, Clippers, Blazers, Nuggets, Mavericks, Rockets, Warriors, Jazz, Suns, Grizzlies

Which 3 of these teams is most at risk of missing the playoffs next year?

Assuming James Harden spends at least one more year as a Rocket, I say the Mavericks (hot take), Suns, and Grizzlies are most at risk. The reason I include the Mavericks in this list is that while we saw a huge leap from Luka this past season, part of how the Mavericks made the playoffs was efficient and productive offense throughout their roster. Some of that might be compromised with the loss of shooters like Seth Curry, but that loss affecting their playoff chances is minimal.

Side note: If Steph Curry wants to put the "3 All-Star" narratives to rest, this is his year to not only lead his team to the playoffs but lead them to a top 4 or 5 seed spot.

2) Hawks, Cavaliers, Hornets, Magic, Wizards, Bulls, Pistons

Which 2 of these two teams has the best chance of sneaking into the playoffs next year?

We'll be seeing the Bucks, Nets, Sixers, Raptors, Celtics, and Heat for sure. If I were a betting man, my money would be on the Magic and Hawks. You could make a case for the Wizards if John Wall remains healthy, though.