• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Dangerous Case Of Donald Trump

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Definition: Self-made is when someone who acquires their wealth/success on their own and do not inherit or win it.

Outside this forum, I don't have to deal with anyone who doesn't know the definition.

I have known you are a child of a war zone and that means everything is different. Everything. There is no normal. Abnormal is normal. Or worse - not even knowing what to call normal. I would also gather you are emotionally stunted, perhaps without even realizing to what degree. But that is for another discussion. How we are in the USA is foreign to you. And vice versa. We come from vastly different situations. But that doesn't mean I don't want to hear what you have to say - I find your posts compelling because of how you were raised. Having said that, it doesn't have relevance to such a simple definition of self-made.

I have little patience for those who take a word or expression and manipulate it for political gain. In that regard, I find little difference between Warren and Trump. Like Trump, Warren is sowing division in my country. The "us and them" mentality. She is not running to be president of all Americans, just the Americans who she can get riled up enough to blame another group of Americans for their situation in life.

I didn't grow up on the very front line but in the case that the front line 30 miles down the road collapsed the front line would have moved to my backyard. I am not really obsessed with this but the nation evidently is. The war ended almost a 1/4 of the century ago and many live as if the the whole thing ended 3 months ago. It is on the news every day, foundation of nation's economic situation is fully based on what happened in those years, all wealthy circles came from those years since before that there was communism, all of our major political parties where made in those years as well as the parliament and constitution, our currency is from those years. That war was simply a complete reset of just about everything and just about everything can be traced back to that point. From objective point of view: if you ignore those years you understand just about nothing about our current present.

However the reasoning behind my posts is exactly that we aren't from that different backgrounds. When you take my war in the terms of death it is more than comparable to guns deaths in USA, ok USA is much bigger country but violence is generally present. In the terms of infrastructure it also isn't different story. Here war and related problems leveled a fair amount of stuff in some parts of the country but in USA moving production overseas, outdated infrastructure and general disrepair have in many many areas created similar social and technical effects as a war. While most of political scene is completely delusional and your foreign enemies are gaining ground all over the map since you have complete mess at home. What overall is a situation in which my place was a number of times and therefore I am simply claiming that this problem can't really be solved with business as usual and "self made people". In the case that there is no foreign factor there would perhaps be some chances to smooth all this but there is just not enough time before world order reaches various turning/tipping points (and don't even get me started on environment). All of my posts were basically about this. In general I know the definition of "self made" however I have severe doubts that this is effective strategy for this "era". Since you are basically where you were in 1941 or 1945, while the house is a complete mess. Therefore I claim that self made paradigm shouldn't be too strictly enforced since there is no time that everyone just wonders around through life, the challenges are too big and imminent.

Also I will tell you one more thing. The US government predicted that we will lose our war of independence very quickly but that didn't happen. In other words almost surely the key factor that was overlooked was the ability of the nation to organize itself towards single goal (since they thought of us as "individuals"). It simply didn't occurred to them that we can supply front lines with personal cars and that people are more than willing to do it (for free). That women will be able to make military clothing at home or cook for the troops at the very front lines (since their kitchen is on the front line and this worked even in the case they are all strangers to each other). It probably also didn't occur to them that vans with some work can be turned into a decent fast moving armored vehicles. That public healthcare exists and that it will hold. That people will organize themselves to the point that they will smuggle guns into the country despite international bans. That there will be enough skill and people to overtake federal bases that remained stranded on our soil, especially since we had our people/conscripts on the inside, which were fully loyal to "the nation as one" principle.

In a way this is why many here are unhappy today even if things are going somewhere, since we actually in a way miss those days. Today by modern logic we are all suppose to be individuals that mostly care just about our private business, but that is only a shadow of what we are capable when we are being "ourselves". What is in direct collision with logic of being self made. In a way this is almost as a scenario where your parents want you to be a lawyer and you are born "rock-star". After going though 20th century in this part of the world "self made" is basically a waste of talent. :D

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I didn't grow up on the very front line but in the case that the front line 30 miles down the road collapsed the front line would have moved to my backyard. I am not really obsessed with this but the nation evidently is. The war ended almost a 1/4 of the century ago and many live as if the the whole thing ended 3 months ago. It is on the news every day, foundation of nation's economic situation is fully based on what happened in those years, all wealthy circles came from those years since before that there was communism, all of our major political parties where made in those years as well as the parliament and constitution, our currency is from those years. That war was simply a complete reset of just about everything and just about everything can be traced back to that point. From objective point of view: if you ignore those years you understand just about nothing about our current present.

However the reasoning behind my posts is exactly that we aren't from that different backgrounds. When you take my war in the terms of death it is more than comparable to guns deaths in USA, ok USA is much bigger country but violence is generally present. In the terms of infrastructure it also isn't different story. Here war and related problems leveled a fair amount of stuff in some parts of the country but in USA moving production overseas, outdated infrastructure and general disrepair have in many many areas created similar social and technical effects as a war. While most of political scene is completely delusional and your foreign enemies are gaining ground all over the map since you have complete mess at home. What overall is a situation in which my place was a number of times and therefore I am simply claiming that this problem can't really be solved with business as usual and "self made people". In the case that there is no foreign factor there would perhaps be some chances to smooth all this but there is just not enough time before world order reaches various turning/tipping points (and don't even get me started on environment). All of my posts were basically about this. In general I know the definition of "self made" however I have severe doubts that this is effective strategy for this "era". Since you are basically where you were in 1941 or 1945, while the house is a complete mess. Therefore I claim that self made paradigm shouldn't be too strictly enforced since there is no time that everyone just wonders around through life, the challenges are too big and imminent.

Also I will tell you one more thing. The US government predicted that we will lose our war of independence very quickly but that didn't happen. In other words almost surely the key factor that was overlooked was the ability of the nation to organize itself towards single goal (since they thought of us as "individuals"). It simply didn't occurred to them that we can supply front lines with personal cars and that people are more than willing to do it (for free). That women will be able to make military clothing at home or cook for the troops at the very front lines (since their kitchen is on the front line and this worked even in the case they are all strangers to each other). It probably also didn't occur to them that vans with some work can be turned into a decent fast moving armored vehicles. That public healthcare exists and that it will hold. That people will organize themselves to the point that they will smuggle guns into the country despite international bans. That there will be enough skill and people to overtake federal bases that remained stranded on our soil, especially since we had our people/conscripts on the inside, which were fully loyal to "the nation as one" principle.

In a way this is why many here are unhappy today even if things are going somewhere, since we actually in a way miss those days. Today by modern logic we are all suppose to be individuals that mostly care just about our private business, but that is only a shadow of what we are capable when we are being "ourselves". What is in direct collision with logic of being self made. In a way this is almost as a scenario where your parents want you to be a lawyer and you are born "rock-star". After going though 20th century in this part of the world "self made" is basically a waste of talent. :D

All around the work one fact remains the same; humans are capable of true unity and, with, that unity can accomplishing nothing the miraculous- when the need arises. ( ie times of great suffering or war) in times of veritable peace is when we start start to turn on each other.

I wish it weren’t so but it seems this battle off ‘ us v them’ in our DNA and will never end.

Nicodemus

Nothing about the impeachment hearings? Geefus.

The evidence is already sufficient to impeach Trump. Who still needs convincing?

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nothing about the impeachment hearings? Geefus.

The evidence is already sufficient to impeach Trump. Who still needs convincing?

Did you even watch the video?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Whenever there's a school shooting right as impeachment hearings are starting, the worst part of my brain wonders if Trump orchestrated it to distract the media, seeing as they love devoting all day coverage to shootings. Of course this wouldn't sit to well with some of his NRA benefactors.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's funny how people can watch the same exact thing and walk away with different assumptions.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Did Trump or did he not condition military aid on investigations into Joe Biden and his son?

If Biden was doing corrupt things, its reasonable to request an investigation. It was not a matter of taking out a political opponent. Because Biden is not even his opponent yet, and won't be. It was also about his son. What part of investigating corruption is bad? Ukraine and USA have a treaty that allows them to do joint investigations into corruption. So what rule did Trump break? There is no quid pro quo, and people keep saying there is with no evidence other than what they feel and want to hear. It is quite literally a witch hunt.

Nicodemus

If Biden was doing corrupt things, its reasonable to request an investigation. It was not a matter of taking out a political opponent. Because Biden is not even his opponent yet, and won't be. It was also about his son. What part of investigating corruption is bad? Ukraine and USA have a treaty that allows them to do joint investigations into corruption. So what rule did Trump break? There is no quid pro quo, and people keep saying there is with no evidence other than what they feel and want to hear. It is quite literally a witch hunt.
Biden was not involved in any corruption in Ukraine, though. The State Department itself says so. Trump knew that.

The truth is apparent to anybody who does not retreat into willful ignorance. Watch Yovanovitch's testimony. There is a woman doing her level best to serve the US and its official foreign policy, and she is being undermined, threatened and removed by an abusive president.

Even you can't be dumb enough to actually believe Trump gives a flying fuck about corruption in a foreign country. He praises mass murderers every other week.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
All around the work one fact remains the same; humans are capable of true unity and, with, that unity can accomplishing nothing the miraculous- when the need arises. ( ie times of great suffering or war) in times of veritable peace is when we start start to turn on each other.

I wish it weren’t so but it seems this battle off ‘ us v them’ in our DNA and will never end.

I disagree here, there can be society which can be without open struggles all over the place. That isn't a trivial task to build but it is possible, the key is how you rise and educate people while making sure there are enough resources for everyone's most basic needs. Because with this you are greatly lowering the drama and increasing focus. What is kinda weak point of free market since this mindset if pushed too far openly glorifies division and struggle, what is emotionally both toxic and stressful. The other day Ceecee was thinking that perhaps my place should be downgraded in stability and I was like "no, no, no, because ...". I mean there are certain questions here that are worth asking: over here over the last 100 years we had 3 devastating wars, half a century of Communism, corrupt foreign king (we shot), etc. However despite this our incarceration rate is only about 1/8 of how it is in USA and in my book that can't really be explained without socialized medicine and socialized college. Which is because we only really care about survival and perhaps having some fun in life, the "self made" doesn't really concern us. This is why I said a number of times "Americans like to go into tank battles on horse", since that is a convention and that is basically the end of story. Which is exactly why here there are so large back-lashes against "Americanization in economic sense". Since most feel it is a subtle occupation and that is why our pro business parties have only about 1% support each (and even the largest donations can't save them from their policies and fakeness).

You can't tell people that socialized medicine can't possibly work and that this is utopia to people that have it for 50 or 60 years. At best you will look as an idiot and in in the worst case as a con man. However when you start funding campaigns for the politicians that are slowly deregulating it quickly becomes obvious that you are more of the latter. In my mind is that American culture has a hard time separating collectivism from pseudo-collectivism (aka dictatorship). Since in genuine collectivism you are generally on the same/similar emotional level with everyone around and you have peace, while in dictatorship you don't really have a genuine collective and a small group of people gets to decide everything. What is basically someones ego over everything rather than collectivism. Group that falls apart without enforcing the group rules at gunpoint isn't really a group.

From what I understand in USA is unthinkable that you manage to prove that the banks did a scam on you or that you have plenty of children and that this gives you the "right" to call activists that will completely overcrowd your place and thus make it impossible for you to be kicked out of the place based on debt or some other legal "complication". They often even organized the guarding in shifts over full 24 hours. I mean this is simply a sense of unity with others that a money can't buy and why traditionally we don't seek emotional help for everyday problems. Plus this resulted with a fact that the law couldn't be enforced anymore, therefore as far as I know the government made certain laws that a person can't be thrown out of the apartment/house if it is their last real estate. What prevented pilling up of homeless people and therefore in the combination with socialized medicine we don't go around panicking about new recession(s), since boom and bust cycle is much more linear. What altogether perhaps isn't the best thing for economy in financial sense but it certainly is for emotional health (which is irreplaceable and the foundation for good decisions in the future).

Here is one silly idea to think about: USA spent something like 10 trillions in Iraq since the invasion and even with all that money it is quite questionable what will come out of this. However the mess started because the country wasn't rebuilt after the end of the regime and USA became "unwelcome" guest. Now imagine what would have happened in the case that out of all that money you gave about 2 trillions which Iraq would spin through it's economy ? In the case you have done that you probably would have saved about 8 trillions, won the war and today Iraq would look as a fully developed country. I mean this isn't the phantasy talking, this is exactly what you did back in a day with Germany and Japan. Which are today some of the most democratic and stable countries and some of your closest allies/friends. Sometimes giving simply saves money, even if that looks as counter-intuitive at first.

So the long story short I think that USA in this mess will have to do something my people did plenty of times, playing by the rules and conventions will not do it since just about everything is far from normal at this point and everything that isn't hitting the problems directly is fundamentally a waste of time. In a way it isn't a wonder that across of USA you have rise of various populists since in the time of crisis human mind requites collective action, even if some people don't like it. However by suppressing this "need" they will surely make it worse in the end, people just don't have interest watching TV in a building that is evidently burning. However if it is burning the priority is to take fire out, money and other problems like egos can wait until the worst is over.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm

So if Biden perhaps did something wrong that must be investigated but if the same is applied to Trump then it is witch hunt ? (even if smoking guns are all over the place and there is no way all of these are fake)

Jaguar

I think it's more that you don't want to pay more taxes, even though you'd probably still be really well off if you did.

I won't pay more in taxes. And to reiterate: I find little difference between Warren and Trump. Like Trump, Warren is sowing division in the country. The "us and them" mentality. She is not running to be president of all Americans, just the Americans who she can get riled up enough to blame another group of Americans for their situation in life.

I am simply claiming that this problem can't really be solved with business as usual and "self made people".

Your (and other people's) obsession with those who have money is bizarre. Having money or not having money isn't the litmus test for whether or not a person can solve a problem.

There is no quid pro quo, and people keep saying there is with no evidence other than what they feel and want to hear. It is quite literally a witch hunt.

Is the volume broken on your TV or computer? If so, you could try reading the lips of those testifying.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Your (and other people's) obsession with those who have money is bizarre. Having money or not having money isn't the litmus test for whether or not a person can solve a problem.

Perhaps but as I explained in the other thread even rich people in my county aren't self made so to me this isn't a big deal. Since the government gave them their starting companies through privatization at the end of Communism. This is cultural bias on my part and therefore you and me don't see rich people in a same way.

Also if you have big social programs that doesn't have to mean that the rich will purely pay for it. I think that most of my country would be happy with keeping benefits even if they have to pay it between themselves. Since in a way we threat the government as one big insurance company that can live with 0% profit. However due to our surroundings it matters to us that we have a back up since things can get hairy in this part of the world. Plus we demand a system that will keep working out of duty even if there is complete financial crash and therefore we don't like to have too many things based on profit, since all of that will evaporate in the next big change. The real problem is when the rich start to think that government has to go out of the the economy completely ... since that doesn't work for many. In these parts the concept of a government is different than in USA and we expect more out of it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thank goodness Trump never committed witness tampering by attacking someone while they were on the stand testifying about his crimes. That would be really bad.

Jaguar

Perhaps but as I explained in the other thread even rich people in my county aren't self made so to me this isn't a big deal. Since the government gave them their starting companies through privatization at the end of Communism. This is cultural bias on my part but you and me don't see rich people in a same way.

I talk to people the same way whether they are worth 100 dollars or 100 million dollars. I never realized how big of a deal that was until people started observing it and then commenting, offline. It's a pity others can't do the same. Besides, 'rich' is in the eye of the beholder, as is beauty.

Jaguar

Thank goodness Trump never committed witness tampering by attacking someone while they were on the stand testifying about his crimes. That would be really bad.

I thought Schiff revealing that nonsense on the spot was effective.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
I have a point to do here.
Ill quote an old post of my own from another topic first:
“but that judging only works if the system evaluated is very close to a meritocracy system because it always says that it is either your fault (when things goes downhill) or your merit (when it works). However, a meritocrathic system is more an exception than a rule in the real world (in terms of political debate there is not even a single one system that it is truly merithocratic). Giving a short resume to a very long discussion, meritocrathic systems needs to follow at least all four of these points:
1) No or minimized inheritance [like 1-million dollar limit]
2) Equal opportunities for every person. In political terms, the motto is equal opportunities for every children, which only works if there is a very good and accessible to everyone education and health-care system.
3) A system that can have some kind of "armory" or a defense against randomness. The results to be evaluated must be purely from merit and the random factor/distortions must be either minimal or zero.
4) There is controversy on this, but it is very important to state that "input" must equal "output". Most, if not all, merithocrats [the real ones, which are super rare] agrees that no one can produce hundreds or thousands more than the average, so, all these super or ultra rich lacks merit at least partially. This is an important part that nobody, as far as I know, could tackle it and create a system from a completely objective point of view.

Its quite funny to note that there is not a single country in the world, as far as I know, which passes in all of these four at the same time, however most games do. A regular game does provide equal opportunity to every players if anti-cheat is well stablished once they bought the game and the console (or a good PC). It does not have inheritance, you dont inherit items from your parents. If you evaluate the average of results in long terms, the downs and ups from randomness tends to be equal and cancel each other(supposing that the further results are mostly or completely independent from the present results). And most developeres wont let the best players to produce hundreds or thousand times the average players at the same time frame (or handle hundreds or thousands of enemies in a row or without dying, they got bots for that), because if they do most of the player base will simply quit and not buy the game again.

In most societies I believe (I live in Brazil so I will speak in brazillian society, although USA and others shouldnt change much), things arent completely meritocrathic. It is usually a middle point between meritocracy and anti-meritocracy (anti-meritocracy is the obedience of some of these 4 points in reversion - the output must be random or the result must be simply from inheritance). In regular societies, the inheritance is usually unlimited. There are not equal opportunity for every child. The results are subject to external crisis, floating on marketplace demands and a lot of random stuff. There are people winning hundreds or thousands times more than average per year/month. ”

There is even a Meritocracy Party UK “Manifesto”, I never read it, and a website called Meritocracy party, the ideology of Meritocracy Party on its own seem to sank already (site dont post for years):
The Meritocracy Party - Equal Opportunity For Every Child

It is quite surprising that most Meritocracy Party requests are close to “left” than the right-wing, however they are not really "leftists" at all. Most people use Meritocracy (and I thought this was only on my country) in a complete different sense.

There is one thing that I hope clarify your understanding, I call it as “the chess championship principle”, which belongs mostly to number 3 (randomness filtering) and it is inside the game example. In a chess championship, every new game is a completely restart. Every piece comes back to a start position, every new game is truly a new game. Now just imagine if there was a different rule, like, for example, if you win the match you are awarded the right to start with two queens in next matches until you lose a match. Imagine if every win was awarded a better advantage for the next game. What would happen? Well, you can only have one opponent per match in chess. If you are lucky on the start, your first opponent is a newbie, and you will win the match and gain advantage for the next one. In the next match, another newbie, more advantages. At the same time, suppose another chess player that is your twin brother that plays exactly like you with same skills, have a grand-master chess player at first round. He loses. Then one pro at the other. He loses. Then he becomes your opponent. You, with three queens, against him with only one, same skills, who wins? You. This example is just a wordly explanation of something that is inside math, and it is basically this: If there is a dependency on the initial condition (if the latter results depends on the former results), and if the initial condition is subject to randomness, then the whole system is subjected to randomness. What I call Chess Championship Principle is this in english: When the next match depends on the former match, and the former match (or any former of the former of the former ….. match) is subject to randomness, this match is subject to randomness as well. Regular Chess Championships resets the table in every new match and the result from a new match dont have any interference from the last one. So, in this championship example where winners can have extra queens, if we spread chess players from the same level, they will have very different results and it will be dictated by how lucky they are with their first opponents. Some of these players will likely match the same results that they would have without this system if they are not too lucky or too unlucky (lets call too hazardous, since english should have a proper word for the opposite of luck).

I seem to have gone way off topic but I am not. The capitalism we know – any system we know, include “kingism”, socialism, whatever – dont fullfill all those 4 (and we could have more) meritocracy conditions. Including Chess Championship Principle for capitalism! What actually happens is that the capitalism never truly resets the game, and that the game has a clear dependency on the beggining, those who gets hazardous keeps it for the rest of their lives despite the hazardousness comes from a bad market time, no inheritance, crysis, whatever.. So, as we expect, people from the same “skills” (hard work, effort, hability, inteligence, etc...) are spread over several different incomes, it is imminent that there are some coincidences – people who were not too hazard but not too lucky – with “skill” and income matched. These ones are the perfect to fruitpick and get used as evidence that everything is properly working with merit. And, of course, some will start from ‘zero’, but will have a fortunate series of events that led them, aha!, fortunate (first matches, except the one counting heritage, were lucky)! But guess what – a series of events with them being at the right time at right place doing the right activity, so it is possible to fruitpick one case of that and say ‘you see, he/she did it, why not you?’ and all the speech comes after that question (“it is just victimism of yours and etc...”). You can fruitpick any unfair cases as well, such as too income for zero “skills” or too much “skills” for low income.

But there is one conceptually big deal here. Those who wants to claim its fairness, or better, its merit and that its a meritocracy, they have a claim that needs to show that every case, or the very almost cases, are fair. One fruitpicking wont do it. It is much more complicated than that because Meritocracy is complicated. But for one who is only trying to disprove that claim only needs one case or at the very best/worst a family of exceptions to prove the thesis wrong, so the fruitpicking does it.

PS: “And most developeres wont let the best players to produce hundreds or thousand times the average players at the same time frame (or handle hundreds or thousands of enemies in a row or without dying, they got bots for that), because if they do most of the player base will simply quit and not buy the game again.”
Since we cant really quit the market these days (its impossible to live, at least here, without having any financial transation), then its easy to the market to keep the cheap work.

PS 2: I thought this kind of judgement was a TJ/Te trend, but this thread seems to prove me wrong.

PS 3: I used to be merithocract for some months but then I think the best is making my mind free and open to new alternative ideas. I would love to see a country that has a free-market state, a socialist state, meritocracy-state, welfare-state, scientifical-policy state, and etc...and you being able to pick one yourself (no need for not being accepted because you were not born on these states). I would love to see the systems 'competing' with themselves instead of some sort of free-market capitalism monopoly.

Last edited: