• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Stars Wars the feminist awakens

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It always amuses me when lefties rant about "circle-jerks." The irony is truly remarkable, especially in light of Obama's supporters.

it amuses me how subpar your gif usage is

Crabs

Permabanned
it amuses me how subpar your gif usage is

As opposed to your wide range of Mariah Carey gifs and other various divas? Please! You're out of your element, kid.

Shouldn't you be elsewhere ranting about white oppression or something? You've got plenty of sympathetic ears to circle-jerk you into ecstasy.

Ursa

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
8w7
LOL. People can't stand that there are women and blacks in a beloved movie universe that also always happened to have weird-ass aliens in it?! Quit crying!

Crabs

Permabanned
LOL. People can't stand that there are women and blacks in a beloved movie universe that also always happened to have weird-ass aliens in it?! Quit crying!

I've not heard anyone complaining about a black or female character. It's the fact that she's an obvious Mary Sue.

Masokissed

Spoiled Brat 🍒
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Question: Are you fucking kidding me?

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've not heard anyone complaining about a black or female character. It's the fact that she's an obvious Mary Sue.

There'd be no point in bringing up feminism whatsoever if that were the complaint.

No doubt people are also basing their response on what they've already come to know about jixmixfix.

Crabs

Permabanned
I don't have a problem with this, however, I think it puts women in a shitty position playing a mere parody of their male counterparts. It makes it hard to take seriously because I have a feeling it's going to come off as trying to be cute and quirky as opposed to just plain funny. It's a gimmick, basically. Of course, I hope I am wrong about this.

Edit: Oh wow, I didn't know who was the director until you mentioned.

It doesn't put women in a shitty position. It's puts the fans in a shitty position. The studio prostituted the license to appeal to modern progressive values while bastardizing the original material. You're right, it is a gimmick. Nothing more.

I doubt it will be funny considering that Bridesmaids failed on that front, unless shitting in a sink is someone's brand of humor. That sort of comedy isn't compatible with Ghostbusters, which is why fans were equally outraged when Judd Apatow and his crew were rumored to be involved years ago. Subtle, but absurd humor is what made the originals so appealing on a comedic level. Some fans are more concerned about preserving the integrity of a work of art rather than having it smeared in PC bullshit so that it appeals to a younger, "progressive" audience. All SONY cares about is making money. They couldn't care less about what the franchise means to fans.

There'd be no point in bringing up feminism whatsoever if that were the complaint.

No doubt people are also basing their response on what they've already come to know about jixmixfix.

In all fairness, the character is being touted as a feminist icon. God forbid, she turns to the dark side and becomes a Sith Lord. That might actually be...what's the word? Interesting. If she dealt with some sort of internal struggle or moral uncertainty rather than being "an even better Luke Skywalker."

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Pretty much like any action movie now days there can't be s male character without the supervision and guidance of a female character.

Well yeahh... a submissive male character probably wants guidance from a stronger female role.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
It doesn't put women in a shitty position. It's puts the fans in a shitty position. The studio prostituted the license to appeal to modern progressive values while bastardizing the original material. You're right, it is a gimmick. Nothing more.

I don't think we can do much about that because Hollywood is overwhelming liberal (and Jewish) compared to the general population. The directors, screenwriters, etc live in an echo chamber where putting a progressive "spin" on movies is a good thing. I wouldn't condemn them for that if they didn't deny this for what it is.

I doubt it will be funny considering that Bridesmaids failed on that front, unless shitting in a sink is someone's brand of humor. That sort of comedy isn't compatible with Ghostbusters, which is why fans were equally outraged when Judd Apatow and his crew were rumored to be involved years ago. Subtle, but absurd humor is what made the originals so appealing on a comedic level. Some fans are more concerned about preserving the integrity of a work of art rather than having it smeared in PC bullshit so that it appeals to a younger, "progressive" audience. All SONY cares about is making money. The couldn't care less about what the franchise means to fans.

Yet the irony is that there is a threshold: movies that are dripping wet with political propaganda of any sort tend not to do well. The reason? Both plot and acting need to be compromised in order to fit whatever narrative the director tries to push. As you pointed out there is subtlety to good film-making. Disney is flogging a dead horse with Star Wars, and each subsequent movie will be less profitable if they go down this road.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sometimes I feel weird when I really stop and contemplate how passively I co-exist with racist, xenophobic, misogynists.

Eluded_One

Building muscle memory in my brain
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
a movie doesn't become feminist solely on a strong female lead role. my main issue is: jj abrams has somehow managed to put star wars into the disneyfication machine and still remains to have credibility.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Because male leads are the normality, especially with action films and some people really find it hard to deal with a changing world.

b8pEWGd.jpg

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I can't wait for Finn and Poe to start dating so there's even more fuel to this thread's fire