• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Stars Wars the feminist awakens

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Samus is awesome and badass.
Right up until Other M, where she was characterized as totally weak and submissive and needed men to snap her out of PTSD when she came up against a foe she'd outright decimated about a million times.

In this case at least, we need our awesome and badass chick back.

gromit

likes this
I like that there's a female in a major role though. It's a new generation of characters, having a girl jedi doesn't seem forced.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Don't read if you haven't watched the movie yet:

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^this, sucks

nothing wrong with female protagonists

just make'em real ffs

orange is the new black got it right

Tater

Don't read if you haven't watched the movie yet:

Starry

If I had tits I would play with them everyday and get guys to buy me a new pair of shoes.

Isn't this what you want though? For women to remain mindful of their place and worth?

Star Wars was one of my favorite movies as a child because it was the first time I saw a female handle weapons. I didn't know it was considered a male franchise.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
Nobody has to be in favor of *waggy finger quotes* "change". Change is what life does. Open your eyes bro. I bet you're a grammar prescriptionist too.

I am not a determinist. We have the power to shape our own futures, and while I don't deny the world is dynamic you have the ability to direct change in any direction and determine its rate. It all comes down to how much you care.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
I like that there's a female in a major role though. It's a new generation of characters, having a girl jedi doesn't seem forced.

Yet there is nothing new about that, either. There have been major female characters in the video games, and if you look at the wider Star Wars universe (which goes back into the 80s) you will find no lack of them there either. So there's nothing worthwhile Rey has really added to the franchise that didn't exist already.

Never mind that Hollywood has made her abilities ridiculous and also totally at odds with what we knew (where Luke Skywalker and Darth Sidious were the most powerful Force users, at least in their lifetimes). The next movie is going to flop and serve them right, for pandering to feminists like this.

I was very passionate about Star Wars before Disney took it over, and they've confirmed all my worse fears. Oh well.

Last edited:

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
Maybe you should google and present a short lesson on the definition of "good" too...like how you did with equality...

It is tempting, but from past experience, I would be wasting my time explaining the difference between abstractions and concrete objects to people here. It is like talking to a wall, you're so stuck in your ways and sure you are right, yet hilariously believe me to be narrow-minded.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It is tempting, but from past experience, I would be wasting my time explaining the difference between abstractions and concrete objects to people here. It is like talking to a wall, you're so stuck in your ways and sure you are right, yet hilariously believe me to be narrow-minded.

Like I said, you are taking it as a priori that you are showing us something we haven't seen, or asking us to think about something we haven't thought about. You hastily conclude that is the reason for everyone disagreeing with you.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Isn't this what you want though? For women to remain mindful of their place and worth?

Star Wars was one of my favorite movies as a child because it was the first time I saw a female handle weapons. I didn't know it was considered a male franchise.

Not really, I think women should be given the same opportunities and freedoms as a man. I also think however that they shouldn't be given special privileges and handouts by the government just because they are a women. It's considered a male franchise because the market caters more towards males than women. It's like if someone decided to hijack sex and the city and suddenly make it about a bunch of males instead of women. The traditional market and audience would be women in that case.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Not really, I think women should be given the same opportunities and freedoms as a man. I also think however that they shouldn't be given special privileges and handouts by the government just because they are a women. It's considered a male franchise because the market caters more towards males than women. It's like if someone decided to hijack sex and the city and suddenly make it about a bunch of males instead of women. The traditional market and audience would be women in that case.

But have you considered that a movie can have a protagonist that isn't the same gender as you and still be enjoyable? That the gender of the main character doesn't necessarily mean that it's being marketed towards a specific audience solely based on that fact?

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

This fascinates me in particular. It's criticizing a character for having a flaw after just criticizing the character for being too powerful. It means she's seen as more flawed than Luke, but more powerful, and that's presented as a criticism for some reason.

Kylo came across as a a barely trained kid who's idol-worshipping, throwing pseudo-tantrums, scared of someone who can put up a fight and has a crude light saber that needs exhausts on it because he can't build a proper one. He fights Rey, who has an unknown background and force sensitivity, after being pretty badly injured, and loses.

I guess people wanted Kylo to be another Vader style macho supervillian, complete with penis helmet, and are disappointed when he's the actual realistic depiction of what someone who wears a costume to intimidate people would be like.

The next movie is going to flop and serve them right, for pandering to feminists like this.

When you say feminists, what you mean is the general western population. The sequel will be just fine.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
But have you considered that a movie can have a protagonist that isn't the same gender as you and still be enjoyable? That the gender of the main character doesn't necessarily mean that it's being marketed towards a specific audience solely based on that fact?

I suppose I can agree with that but I think what makes it more obvious is how she was portrayed in the movie as someone who is ultimately superior than the rest of the characters from previous star wars films.

Starry

This is all understandable to me. And while I had always considered Star Wars as being one of those movies that was made with everyone in mind ... I can likewise understand how frustrating that would be... to be excited to go and see characters you identify with and be met with what appears to be the opposite...especially if you suspect the change was politically motivated. I haven't seen the movie but if anyone's fucked with Han Solo I will be pissed. (I also want to say I have never seen an episode of sex in the city...from the ads alone the characters made me feel scared.)

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
oh did i say star trek i meant star wars oh well whatever same difference. nerd shit that guys watch who were too wussy to play sports

4Jzu0.png