• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Multiple Enneagram Subtypes/Instincts Social Last Support Group

Permabanned
My mom is like this. We'll have conversations where she'll go on and on about some meal in great detail and how it was such a peak experience and I just don't get it. I always thought it was a S vs N thing. Guess not. But I'm also indifferent to interior design, clothing, etc. I kind of lump all that stuff together as things I'm disinterested in. I like the natural world, the aesthetics of it. I like how it's out of control and crazy and alive. When the human hand arranges things I usually find it overly managed and therefore dull- unless it's done in a way that feels natural, has that alive quality. It's a rare genius who manages to pull that off.

Pretty much.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That’s what I’m trying to figure out. Is my for lack of a better word passion for things indicative of Sx first? Whatever it is music, food, words and the way words flow, the way a star twinkles- they all ‘excite’ me. Not necessarily in a sexual way but with a level of intensity. I mean I see a beautiful woman and an exquisite looking dessert and I can tell my brain is firing exactly the same in it’s desire for both.

And please don’t kill me for that comparison, I’m not saying a woman is no more to me than a pleasurable dessert. I’m just saying all these things seem to illicit a similar reaction in me. I see everything I enjoy through a filter of sensuality I guess. I’m not saying I’d just as soon as date a chocolate cake as my girlfriend. For one thing, she’s a better conversationalist. :)

It seems to me like brainheart's descriptions are really more specifically e4 sx dominance.

So, just to throw this consideration into the pot - if you don't relate, it could be a case of wrong typing for enneagram as much as wrong typing for instinct variant dominance.

A lot NFs mistype as e4, because there's something inherently very similar.

Eta: Hold up, I might be misunderstanding this post. But I'll leave this response because there are also other posts that made me think this too.

brainheart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It seems to me like brainheart's descriptions are really more specifically e4 sx dominance.

So, just to throw this consideration into the pot - if you don't relate, it could be a case of wrong typing for enneagram as much as wrong typing for instinct variant dominance.

Eta: Hold up, I might be misunderstanding this post. But I'll leave this response because there are also other posts that made me think this.

I am also just one person among many, so please (anyone) don't take any of my opinions/perspectives as definitive. But yes, this thread is making me realize, oh jesus, what a sexual 4 I am, and so it really affects how I perceive things, including the sexual instinct.

(You can try to run away from who you are, but it'll always come back to smack you over the head. So it's best to make peace with it.)

Edit- However, I would add that when I talked of Jeff, I said he was a sexual 9 and I stand by that.

Permabanned

Enneagram
9w1
The way people try to define and control the world is so mundane and boring. I'm a very simple person in the physical world, I just like to let things happen to me. I'm hungry? I Eat. I'm horny? Masturbate. I need energy? I run. See how simple that is? There's nothing more to speak of there so if you try to overcomplicate and focus on the physical world you will make me want to leave you for some place more chill and real. I don't get how people can talk so much about nothing, I wonder what I would talk about with that ability..

Eta: Hold up, I might be misunderstanding this post. But I'll leave this response because there are also other posts that made me think this too.

It’s entirely possible. Out of the few people I’ve asked directly here there hasn’t been a general consensus on my e type. I’ve tested 4 and 5 consistently and both imo fit me but someone has suggested 9w8 which isn’t completely alien sounding to me either. Idk.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Re sp-dom, in contrast with my *notion* of how an sx-dom would be (and this is also based on a convo I had with someone about this subject):

I'm really into landscape photography; and I'm aware that sunset/sunrise scenes are what's typically desired/viewed as most desirable and the 'best' and most ideal images you can strive for. However - and this is where all of what I consider my sp-dom stuff takes priority - based on where I live, and my ideal scenes being hours away, where you'd also tack on potentially several hours of hiking, I'd be having to get up at, say, 2am (at the latest) in the morning to get myself to a location the day-of (and this is a location that wouldn't require much or any hiking) to do a sunrise attempt. And, I'm really not interested in getting up at 2am on my day off. I need my sleep; I'd then be like... well, I guess I could try to go to sleep at 6pm because I really do need/want 7 hours at least of sleep.... if I don't get the sleep I know I'll feel gross, headachy, I'll feel like I'm starting to become sick...and the likilihood of me actually hitting a good sunrise on this day off that I get myself up at 2am is very low... plus I don't really wanna get up at 2am and drive in the dark because I also don't feel super safe really driving in the dark on mountain roads especially ......

You can also look at it from the light of my 'prioritizing' living on my own / living in what I deem as comfort and security -- vs living in a sketchy 6 bedroom house with random people where I'd likely not sleep well, roommates would be noisy / unpredictable, etc etc, where I could save money though, but then I'd be in non-comfort, but by saving money I could then maybe work less / maybe make do without relying only on days off.. longer trips for photography where I'm actually camping, or living in the middle of nowhere with random ppl .... see? ... but my sp-stuff I think takes precedence over what an sx-dom might do -- where they wouldn't necessarily care about the comfort element, the living situation as much, maybe they'd totally not care or wouldn't even notice if they only got 2 hours of sleep.... they'd do whatever they had to do to do what they really love doing.

Is this an inaccurate perception of an sx-dom?

Perhaps I'm not sx dom? I love photography, and the high I get when I am able to capture Beauty, some moment of perfection. And I get cranky and frustrated if I've gone somewhere to get photos and for some reason, though there are scenes of perfect Beauty, I'm not able to get them. But I am not willing to give up sleep (because I do feel awful when I don't get enough), and I am overly sensitive to environmental noise. It could be hell at times living in an apartment building with thin walls. Maybe those have more to do with being highly sensitive than sp, though?

It’s entirely possible. Out of the few people I’ve asked directly here there hasn’t been a general consensus on my e type. I’ve tested 4 and 5 consistently and both imo fit me but someone has suggested 9w8 which isn’t completely alien sounding to me either. Idk.

Eh, I'm not entirely sure of my type, either, but the description brainheart referenced of the e4 sx dom felt so incredibly relatable. Like Yes! I'm not alone.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Perhaps I'm not sx dom? I love photography, and the high I get when I am able to capture Beauty, some moment of perfection. And I get cranky and frustrated if I've gone somewhere to get photos and for some reason, though there are scenes of perfect Beauty, I'm not able to get them. But I am not willing to give up sleep (because I do feel awful when I don't get enough), and I am overly sensitive to environmental noise. It could be hell at times living in an apartment building with thin walls. Maybe those have more to do with being highly sensitive than sp, though?

Well yeah, I mean that's the thing... there are of course other things that play into how each of us operate and why; we like to try to make every element of ourselves fit somehow into a system, whether it's mbti or enneagram, but it doesn't necessarily mean what's being talked about DOES fall into said system in a clear-cut way.

Personally I do think sp-doms will be more geared towards physical care for self, and will prioritize that moreso than so- or sx-doms, but I don't think it means it's absent from the so- or sx-dom. I brought up my example because I do think it's a very real-world example of how I differ from people who just go after what they want without any care for anything else, really -- anything else that comes their way might easily be brushed off / not really matter to them (sleep *could* be an example, or living conditions), when their eyes are 100% set on whatever it is they're pursuing. Whether what I'm describing is sx-dom people, or whether it's also linked to something else, I dunno... but I do know those people exist and I am not like them.

Continuing with my example and then what [MENTION=31348]Peter Deadpan[/MENTION] mentioned re nature photographers who sit up in a treehouse for two years trying to get rare footage ---- the first thing that goes through my head is..... but how do they survive? How are they getting paid? How did they get that gig? My immediate initial thought is... how are they tangibly doing this? Ultimately I'm super preoccupied with self-care and that includes making a living -- so I'm gonna have some lame job I'm not super into, first, to *survive*, and then assuming I have the money coming in, only then do I mentally feel 'free' to do what I'm really wanting to do. Vs.... someone like nature photographer guy.... maybe they got free lodging at a hostel by working at the hostel while they did photography on the side... maybe they don't care about having a 'home'.... I really don't know how it works....but there must have been some sort of initial obsession that overrode concerns for everything else, like a one-track mind in a sense that kept them at it til they achieved it. Just speculating here.

That was a long ramble. I also wanted to say though that I don't think sp-dom is *really* about food, sleep, survival... I mean that comes with the territory but I think it's more about taking care of self on all levels first, it's obviously self-focused and inward looking... and if that's in place and deemed 'sufficient' then can you either focus on creating a place for yourself in the social realm or focusing on personal 'obsessions'/endeavors/something or someone outside of yourself.

ofc all of that's only my own opinion / thoughts on the stuff, some not fully fledged. Some of it might be tied to instincts, some of it might not be.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Something that I've found I don't understand/can't relate to is when two people are totally in love, and external conditions change, making it more of a challenge for them to stay together (leaving for college, having to take a job elsewhere, etc) and instead of fighting for their relationship, they just give up on it. I wonder if that's a sx vs sp issue.

This may not be the best example, but SPOILER ahead for La La Land:

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Something that I've found I don't understand/can't relate to is when two people are totally in love, and external conditions change, making it more of a challenge for them to stay together (leaving for college, having to take a job elsewhere, etc) and instead of fighting for their relationship, they just give up on it. I wonder if that's a sx vs sp issue.

I always felt this way too. I figured it couldn't be true love if they'd walk away so easily.

Permabanned

mmm, there's def a trigger in that, prob diff rizons tho, not a 'tru luv' romantic concept per se, more about trust/loyalty mayb; which leads me to think, that as many other various feedback from diff ppl, all tryin to pigeonhole into typology is prob futile, as it just falls into a broad, human experience/personal baggage equation, rather than some label.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So, I networked with real people today and it was good. I tried to talk myself out of it every other minute this morning, and my skin crawled sitting with people for about the first half hour. Then it was all good, except for the freak out after the event and seeing that I have new messages on my phone on every way I can communicate on it.

So, I networked with real people today and it was good. I tried to talk myself out of it every other minute this morning, and my skin crawled sitting with people for about the first half hour. Then it was all good, except for the freak out after the event and seeing that I have new messages on my phone on every way I can communicate on it.
Take a cookie from the jar Qlip. Go on. You’ve earned it.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have to network with real people, in person, over the next couple of weeks. I'm looking forward to it because of the topic involved and the potential for accomplishing something worthwhile. I don't even mind the people I will have to speak with, I just know it will require alot of focus, and alot of energy.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Take a cookie from the jar Qlip. Go on. You’ve earned it.

The cookie in this case is some Atole (hot/sweet rice drink) in bed watching a show with either spaceships, elves or Bill Hader in it.

I have to network with real people, in person, over the next couple of weeks. I'm looking forward to it because of the topic involved and the potential for accomplishing something worthwhile. I don't even mind the people I will have to speak with, I just know it will require alot of focus, and alot of energy.

That sounds rewarding. What's the topic, if you don't mind me asking?