• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Religion negatively correlated with sense of humor

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Funny, I look at it more like the ancient egyptians whose pharaohs would bury the living with the dead "god" to serve him in the afterlife. Such a waste of human potential.

So is the cult of ultra orthodox Sunni Islam/Wahhabi, if you want to go down that path. There is almost no difference between the idea of the afterlife in either if you look at them closely.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Inhibition may limit humor and some super strict religions can impose enough inhibition on people that they don't feel free enough to make jokes.

Perhaps you have to have just enough pain in life to make you revert back to your inner child to be at your funniest.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I actually really like this post, but you know [MENTION=5643]EcK[/MENTION] (I hope) and I are both trying so hard not to troll this post now right?

I don't troll, I point out stupid thoughts. I'm not responsible for people's poor grasp of logic & their own emotions.

Lark

I wonder why atheism is so closely correlated with sectarianism and anger.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I actually really like this post, but you know [MENTION=5643]EcK[/MENTION] (I hope) and I are both trying so hard not to troll this post now right?

I don't troll, I point out stupid thoughts. I'm not responsible for people's poor grasp of logic & their own emotions.

if there are holes in my reasoning, i won't be offended if either of you (or someone else entirely) points that out...

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
if there are holes in my reasoning, i won't be offended if either of you (or someone else entirely) points that out...

i was answering [MENTION=27425]Listening[/MENTION] 's post, didn't really have any desire to debunk anything you said

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=5643]EcK[/MENTION] and [MENTION=27425]Listening[/MENTION]

that is what i figured... i just thought a counter argument would be interesting...

Litsnob

What is considered funny is very correlated to the demographic and I have observed that most of my Facebook 'friends' do not find my atheist and anti-theist humour funny. I don't give any fecks about that. I find their religion highly ridiculous which is funny in some ways though can also be scary.

As for whether or not religious people are funny or have a sense of humour, which seems to be your question, I see no reason for religion to preclude humour though it is likely to shape it.

Lark

Religion is one of the finer things in life philistines, you probably dont appreciate fine food, drink, the four seasons or good company either.

- - - Updated - - -

If you got to choose between Jesus and The Joker, I'd bet most people would choose Jesus 99% of the time.

Mole

Permabanned
Religion is based on entrancement. And when we are entranced our critical thinking goes to sleep and we become suggestible and accept whatever preposterous doctrine we are fed.

But what is most interesting is that our sense of humour is part of our critical mind, so when our critical mind goes to sleep under entrancement, so our sense of humour goes to sleep.

And it is interesting that the Torah, the Bhagavad Gita, the Bible, and the Koran all lack a sense of humour. This is because all of these holy books were written in a trance, and they induce a trance in the readers.

Mole

Permabanned
Religion is one of the finer things in life philistines, you probably dont appreciate fine food, drink, the four seasons or good company either.

- - - Updated - - -

If you got to choose between Jesus and The Joker, I'd bet most people would choose Jesus 99% of the time.

It would be hard to argue that Jesus had a fine sense of humour, in fact he was remarkably serious. However it would be much easier to argue that the Joker had a sense of humour, a black sense of humour to be sure, but a sense of humour nonetheless.

No one laughs along with Jesus, yet we all laugh with or at the Joker. His very name gives him away as a funny if bad guy.