• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Read Your Bible Through in a Year with Aphrodite

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
[MENTION=6723]phobik[/MENTION] The Quran says Christians are judged by their book. And Muslims by their. So newcomers are free to chose. isnt that great?

Goodluck [MENTION=20506]Aphrodite[/MENTION]

I'm neither pro nor anti religion. i'm more of what works for you as long as it's not hurting others and just like there's Islam extremist there's Christian extremist but at the same time there's reasonable Christians and reasonable Muslims and I believe those are the majority but the extremist drown out the sane ones.

anyways i was gonna say this what you said might actually be useful in fighting Islamphobia but perhaps not :shrug:

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How is Bible reading going? Anyone keeping up?

I fell behind a bit, but I will catch back up tonight.

Here is a great quote from Hosea:

Sow for yourselves righteousness;

Reap in mercy;

Break up your fallow ground,

For it is time to seek the Lord,

Till He comes and rains righteousness on you. ~Hosea 10:12

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Confused, as Matthew was after Malachi.

Boredom warning: beware of Exodus, Leviticus, Deuteronomy, and some of the chronologies (I think in 1&2 Samuel, 1 & 2 Chronicles, 1 & 2 Kings).

On the other hand, some of the O.T. tends to be...gory.

Yeah I wanted to start with Matthew instead of Genesis. That's all.

My least faves were Numbers, Leviticus, some of Chronicles). Love Samuels, Kings, Esther, Proverbs, Ecc...

The OT is everything that happens today. I tend to think that most movie themes have biblical connections in some shape or form.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Dec 19

I have been keeping up with this and loving it. Is anyone with me?? :D

Here are some fav sections I have underscored in my Bible:

Interesting: "Also I gave you cleanness of teeth in all your cities." ~Amos 4:6 (This evidently is a euphemism for hunger, funny huh? maybe having dirty teeth was attractive in ancient times because it meant you had plenty of food to eat)

Amos 5:14-15 New International Version (NIV)

Seek good, not evil,
that you may live.
Then the Lord God Almighty will be with you,
just as you say he is.
Hate evil, love good;
maintain justice in the courts.
Perhaps the Lord God Almighty will have mercy
on the remnant of Joseph.

(it is never too late to do good)

This scares me a lot. Not being able to hear the Lord:

I will turn your religious festivals into mourning
and all your singing into weeping.
I will make all of you wear sackcloth
and shave your heads.
I will make that time like mourning for an only son
and the end of it like a bitter day.
“The days are coming,” declares the Sovereign Lord,
“when I will send a famine through the land—
not a famine of food or a thirst for water,
but a famine of hearing the words of the Lord.
People will stagger from sea to sea
and wander from north to east,
searching for the word of the Lord,
but they will not find it. ~Amos 8:10-12

Obadiah (Have I ever heard of this book before? lol. I would have bet against this being a book of the Bible. Who knew?):

"But do not gloat over the day of your brother in the day of his misfortune; do not rejoice over the people of Judah in the day of their ruin; do not boast in the day of distress. Do not enter the gate of my people in the day of their calamity; do not gloat over his disaster in the day of his calamity; do not loot his wealth in the day of his calamity." ~Obadiah 1:12-13

^ This reminds me of friends who come round when you have had a calamity and try to reap a gain from it, or families fighting over stuff when someone has fallen ill or died.

LOVE THIS:

Jonah 2:2-9 New King James Version (NKJV)

And he said:

“I cried out to the Lord because of my affliction,
And He answered me.
“Out of the belly of Sheol I cried,
And You heard my voice.
For You cast me into the deep,
Into the heart of the seas,
And the floods surrounded me;
All Your billows and Your waves passed over me.

Then I said, ‘I have been cast out of Your sight;
Yet I will look again toward Your holy temple.’
The waters surrounded me, even to my soul;
The deep closed around me;
Weeds were wrapped around my head.
I went down to the moorings of the mountains;
The earth with its bars closed behind me forever;
Yet You have brought up my life from the pit,
O Lord, my God.

“When my soul fainted within me,
I remembered the Lord;
And my prayer went up to You,
Into Your holy temple.
“Those who regard worthless idols
Forsake their own Mercy.
But I will sacrifice to You
With the voice of thanksgiving;
I will pay what I have vowed.
Salvation is of the Lord.”

Amen! God sees us even when we try to hide in our own private Sheol. And He redeems us.

JESUS:

"I will surely gather all of you, Jacob; I will surely bring together the remnant of Israel. I will bring them together like sheep in a pen, like a flock in its pasture; the place will throng with people.The One who breaks open the way will go up before them; they will break through the gate and go out. Their King will pass through before them, the LORD at their head." ~Micah 2:12-13​

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A Hymn of Faith~ <3

A Hymn of Faith

Though the fig tree may not blossom,
Nor fruit be on the vines;
Though the labor of the olive may fail,
And the fields yield no food;
Though the flock may be cut off from the fold,
And there be no herd in the stalls—

Yet I will rejoice in the Lord,
I will joy in the God of my salvation.

The Lord God is my strength;
He will make my feet like deer’s feet,
And He will make me walk on my high hills. ~Habakkuk 3:17-19

To the Chief Musician. With my stringed instruments.​

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For My j, et al~

Woe to the type c city of oppressors,
rebellious and defiled!
She obeys no one,
she accepts no correction.

She does not trust in the Lord,
she does not draw near to her God.

Her officials within her
are roaring lions;
her rulers are evening wolves,
who leave nothing for the morning.

Her prophets are unprincipled;
they are treacherous people.

Her priests profane the sanctuary
and do violence to the law.

The Lord within her is righteous;
he does no wrong.
Morning by morning he dispenses his justice,
and every new day he does not fail,
yet the unrighteous know no shame. ~Zephaniah 3:1-5​

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Still doing this, yay!!

I usually listen to the OT part on my Bible phone app, which is nice. Except the guy's voice puts me to sleep all the time. :shrug:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I do daily Bible readings, but because I get my guidebooks from either Lutheran or similar types of churches, the readings are always entire passages in context with personal lesson or interpretation.

I can't do the one verse thing. That's great though that you have read the Bible all the way through.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I do daily Bible readings, but because I get my guidebooks from either Lutheran or similar types of churches, the readings are always entire passages in context with personal lesson or interpretation.

I can't do the one verse thing. That's great though that you have read the Bible all the way through.

I haven't yet, though I have probably read almost all of it by now (over the years). Since I only became a believe a few years ago, I have some catching up to do. I get the most out of more intensive study of a passage that captures my attention. For example, my reading is in Judges right now and I just listened to the part about how Gideon chose his 300. But I have never heard the rationale of the drinking style explained to my satisfaction, so I think soon I will pull our my interlinear and work on some translation of that section so I can see it in the original language and try to discern the true meaning behind it.

Do you know?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Confused, as Matthew was after Malachi.

Boredom warning: beware of Exodus, Leviticus, Deuteronomy, and some of the chronologies (I think in 1&2 Samuel, 1 & 2 Chronicles, 1 & 2 Kings).

On the other hand, some of the O.T. tends to be...gory.

Not just boredom, but wild evangelical misinterpretation of the books which are divided into the Jewish law section. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but a lot of problems in hell fire churches comes from people not understanding this is history, this is law, this is prophecy, this is gospel, etc.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I haven't yet, though I have probably read almost all of it by now (over the years). Since I only became a believe a few years ago, I have some catching up to do. I get the most out of more intensive study of a passage that captures my attention. For example, my reading is in Judges right now and I just listened to the part about how Gideon chose his 300. But I have never heard the rationale of the drinking style explained to my satisfaction, so I think soon I will pull our my interlinear and work on some translation of that section so I can see it in the original language and try to discern the true meaning behind it.

Do you know?

OK so you are reading entire stories, my mistake...I actually had an app that literally gave one verse per day, and I found it pointless eventually because it was so out of context of whom it was spoken to and why. For example, the Pauline instruction to not allow women to speak in church had to do with one specific church and their individual problems, thus wasn't a gospel instruction from Christ...and yes a pastor actually explained that to me.

As for Gideons men, I can't claim to know the reasoning, but in my estimation it would be because putting ones face directly to the water is more animal in behavior.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
OK so you are reading entire stories, my mistake...I actually had an app that literally gave one verse per day, and I found it pointless eventually because it was so out of context of whom it was spoken to and why. For example, the Pauline instruction to not allow women to speak in church had to do with one specific church and their individual problems, thus wasn't a gospel instruction from Christ...and yes a pastor actually explained that to me.

As for Gideons men, I can't claim to know the reasoning, but in my estimation it would be because putting ones face directly to the water is more animal in behavior.

But those are who He chose, I believe.? Yeah (i checked it), He chose the men who 'lapped' but I think it's confusing. I heard a pastor on the radio lately say it was that God chose the old men.

It works out that the OT is several chapters (or more if i miss a day), but the NT is less, sometimes half a chapter, but I end up missing a day or two, so it works out okay.

Rock on gf. :rock:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
But those are who He chose, I believe.? Yeah (i checked it), He chose the men who 'lapped' but I think it's confusing. I heard a pastor on the radio lately say it was that God chose the old men.

It works out that the OT is several chapters (or more if i miss a day), but the NT is less, sometimes half a chapter, but I end up missing a day or two, so it works out okay.

Rock on gf. :rock:

:hug:

The men God chose cupped the water in their hands, while the others kneeled directly with their faces to the stream.

"When Gideon took his warriors down to the water, the LORD told him, "Divide the men into two groups. In one group put all those who cup water in their hands and lap it up with their tongues like dogs. In the other group put all those who kneel down and drink with their mouths in the stream."

That is the New Living Translation. I do not read the KJV, which terrified me as a child because I was too uneducated to understand it...and I honestly trust a lot more in scholars who have done scrupulous cross reference translations, who are careful to add or explain what a term actually meant in Hebrew or Aramaic. My physical Bible that I read right now is NRSV, but I have also owned an Amplified Bible and a Catholic Bible. I'm frankly in disagreement with my relatives who claim KJV is the only version. Jesus didn't write the KJV.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:hug:

The men God chose cupped the water in their hands, while the others kneeled directly with their faces to the stream.

"When Gideon took his warriors down to the water, the LORD told him, "Divide the men into two groups. In one group put all those who cup water in their hands and lap it up with their tongues like dogs. In the other group put all those who kneel down and drink with their mouths in the stream."

That is the New Living Translation. I do not read the KJV, which terrified me as a child because I was too uneducated to understand it...and I honestly trust a lot more in scholars who have done scrupulous cross reference translations, who are careful to add or explain what a term actually meant in Hebrew or Aramaic. My physical Bible that I read right now is NRSV, but I have also owned an Amplified Bible and a Catholic Bible. I'm frankly in disagreement with my relatives who claim KJV is the only version. Jesus didn't write the KJV.

Oh, okay, interesting. My version makes it sound like both groups lap. And the ones who put their faces to the water seem more like dogs to me. :thinking:

I will still translate it and put my translation here somewhere. :)

I agree with you about the translations, but I started with the NIV and found distinct errors, and that disturbed me. I think it's a good beginner Bible though, for kids, or newbies, because it's easier to read.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oh, okay, interesting. My version makes it sound like both groups lap. And the ones who put their faces to the water seem more like dogs to me. :thinking:

I will still translate it and put my translation here somewhere. :)

I agree with you about the translations, but I started with the NIV and found distinct errors, and that disturbed me. I think it's a good beginner Bible though, for kids, or newbies, because it's easier to read.

Yeah the NLT is actually the easiest for beginners and children who are on a middle school reading level, but my sources indicate that NRSV is one of the most accurate and comprehensive, and includes a panel from many different denominations including the RCC, there are protestant and catholic versions of the NRSV, so I read that one. I actually have a Green Bible which includes essays by religious leaders on Creation, as well as poetry by St. Francis of Assisi...obviously all of that isn't "necessary" but it's my personal Bible. ..I also enjoyed the Amplified Bible due to its footnotes and explanations.

So I think the NLT is trustworthy to an extent for people who aren't religious scholars, because it presents Biblical stories in a way that's difficult to twist from literalism....but I think any church I've attended regularly in my adult life had copies of the NRSV.

From a literary perspective the KJV is interesting, but I just have had too many bad experiences with hearing people glean really scary literalism from it.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah the NLT is actually the easiest for beginners and children who are on a middle school reading level, but my sources indicate that NRSV is one of the most accurate and comprehensive, and includes a panel from many different denominations including the RCC, there are protestant and catholic versions of the NRSV, so I read that one. I actually have a Green Bible which includes essays by religious leaders on Creation, as well as poetry by St. Francis of Assisi...obviously all of that isn't "necessary" but it's my personal Bible. ..I also enjoyed the Amplified Bible due to its footnotes and explanations.

So I think the NLT is trustworthy to an extent for people who aren't religious scholars, because it presents Biblical stories in a way that's difficult to twist from literalism....but I think any church I've attended regularly in my adult life had copies of the NRSV.

From a literary perspective the KJV is interesting, but I just have had too many bad experiences with hearing people glean really scary literalism from it.

Oh, I had never heard of the Green Bible. Kind of specialized.

Thanks for the info. I will remember it. :)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oh, I had never heard of the Green Bible. Kind of specialized.

Thanks for the info. I will remember it. :)

It's a study Bible, I'm sure a lot of people have it as a secondary Bible, but it's printed on recycled paper, in soy ink, with a cotton linen cover as well as emphasis on Creation Care or Environmental Stewardship. It's meant to be a bridge (or challenge) between liberal and conservative Christians, to paint out in green how much creation and nature and animals are loved by God, the challenge being to people who somehow think it's Christian to destroy the earth. Of course, Catholics are considered "conservative" by most, and they understand creation care, so honestly I think it's a very American issue, but also a Bible study to be enjoyed by those who feel strongly called to serve in the particular facet of environmental stewardship.

But the text is NRSV it's not a different Bible or anything.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's a study Bible, I'm sure a lot of people have it as a secondary Bible, but it's printed on recycled paper, in soy ink, with a cotton linen cover as well as emphasis on Creation Care or Environmental Stewardship. It's meant to be a bridge (or challenge) between liberal and conservative Christians, to paint out in green how much creation and nature and animals are loved by God, the challenge being to people who somehow think it's Christian to destroy the earth. Of course, Catholics are considered "conservative" by most, and they understand creation care, so honestly I think it's a very American issue, but also a Bible study to be enjoyed by those who feel strongly called to serve in the particular facet of environmental stewardship.

But the text is NRSV it's not a different Bible or anything.

I have always had issues with Christians trashing the earth as well. In Deuteronomy it states the Lord God walks among us, so our camp must always be clean. I have interpreted that to mean if men populate an area, they must take care to keep it clean. Landfills do not look holy for God, imo.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I have always had issues with Christians trashing the earth as well. In Deuteronomy it states the Lord God walks among us, so our camp must always be clean. I have interpreted that to mean if men populate an area, they must take care to keep it clean. Landfills do not look holy for God, imo.

There is so much scriptural support for being mindful stewards. Some people have tried to twist the Green Bible into appearing like a cult that detracts away from the real message of God - but as far as I can tell, no one has yet founded a Church of Green nor used it as a separate theology. The point is to show these individuals that creation care is congruent to the message of loving God and others...the first people environmental devastation is harming is the poor. How can I offer my brother or sister a cup of water to drink if it's filled with fracking chemicals? I'm not going to hijack your thread with a rant, but the good news is that for some people it has opened their eyes. :)