• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Rap music and white people

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Also, I like Led Zeppelin and still listen to them, but what they did was still shitty.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
My reaction when any male at all is outside my car. So am I now sexist? Or is there simply a reputation of there being a threat?

I don't know? Are you?

This scene is an example of comedic irony. It is also perfectly time to avoid Michael Bolton having to say the "n-word". Happy to appropriate the music, the motions and cultural attitudes of "gangster rap". Not about to risk actual contact with the people making the appropriated music.

Lark

The Marxist Left had almost no success in the 20th century except for South Africa, where anti-racism was successful. And since then the Left call anyone they don't like, racist.

Ironically, as white racism was defeated in South Africa, black racism has taken over with directions at the highest level, and carried out against helpless white families in their own homes with sustained torture with farm implements, rape, and murder. And the world remains silent lest they be called, racist.

What Marxist left? What success are you talking about? What had Marxism to do with south africa?

Lark

I don't know? Are you?

This scene is an example of comedic irony. It is also perfectly time to avoid Michael Bolton having to say the "n-word". Happy to appropriate the music, the motions and cultural attitudes of "gangster rap". Not about to risk actual contact with the people making the appropriated music.

The thing about gangster rap that I find interesting is there's a quote about Johnny Cash from one of his family saying, during a panic about rap music, that Johnny was singing about doing prison time, drugs etc. long before any of them where.

I always thought it was an interesting point, whoever the underclass are they are going to be scary, one time its white, another time its not, the themes could be the same across any divide.

Also, vanilla ice, he did some interesting interviews when he appeared on reality TV for a bit in the UK, all covered in tats and piercings, that he had always envisioned himself as being a rapper like Eminem but the studios told him that he had to go all MC Hammer 80s style instead and it bombed. I've even heard dark metal or "rap" covers of vanilla ice's music and its simultaneously hilarious and interesting, same lyrics, incredibly different style.

Lark

By this logic English speaking people should never listen to my local pop folk music from the other side of the world. Since they have nothing to do with it. What is kinda stupid as a standard.

Yeah, the whole cultural appropriation anxiety is bullshit, I say that without any shame and dont mind what anyone has to say to me about it.

A lot of these styles of causes or activism I think are born mainly of a sort of neurosis, anxiety, sometimes different sorts of self-loathing, I dont tend to try to be too quick to pathologize everyday life but I think there's not much of a mistake about this. The kind of monkey wrenching of the left wing in this way has been phenomenal. I'm awaiting all the different equivalent monkey wrenching of the right wing in a similar way to work out. I just wonder what the hell is going to be left afterwards.

I dont expect that it'll be that enlightened when all the activists are reduced to various types of emotional wrecks unable to conform to different sorts of perfectionist ideals and taking out all the consequent angst and misery on others all about them.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Also, I like Led Zeppelin and still listen to them, but what they did was still shitty.

I was more partial to Floyd. They didn’t just plagiarize the blues, they actually took it and blended it with English folk and classical sounds for something new.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
Eminem talked about and showed footage of facing much adversity for being a white rapper. He sort of opened the gates to other whites who also wanted to rap, but sadly, many of them are mere clones of passion; or, in other words, people who rap about their passion for rapping. For now, those are generally the white rappers who see fame in the USA. In other countries it's not as much of a problem. White people rap all the time and think nothing of it.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
why has this thread become dominated by white people who admittedly don’t like rap music :doh:

Lark

why has this thread become dominated by white people who admittedly don’t like rap music :doh:

I like some of it, like I like metal rap, also I probably do like the earlier sort and hip hop stylings instead but you know. I reckon anyone can have an opinion. Especially about music.

Jaguar

One could argue they don't like country music as a whole but listen to individual artists. There are exceptions. Rap is no different.

Jaguar

Who?

Oh, no. No. No. No. Don't do this to me.

This is enough to make you want to fire a gun in the air to drown out his voice.