• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Politics Thread

Jaguar

What happened to "Anyone who wants a test can have one"? This guy isn't just a liar, he's the biggest piece of shit to ever walk into the White House.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
3trkwaslehs41.jpg

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Conservatives Float Plan to Place Retired Military, Police as GOP Poll Watchers on Election Day

Using former soldiers and law enforcement as poll watchers was banned in 1981 by a judicial consent decree imposed on the Republican Party, but that ban was lifted in 2018 when a New Jersey judge declined to renew it. The ban came explicitly in response to an effort by the Republican National Committee to intimidate voters in African American communities by creating a so-called Ballot Security Task Force, threatening arrest and a $1,000 fine for improper voting.

The Council for National Policy is straight up trying to turn the US into a fash theocracy so if you are not down with that, pay attention to what they do and who they back. Conservatives will tell you it's simply a difference of political opinion but these are dangerous groups for the US and democratic values anywhere.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Conservatives Float Plan to Place Retired Military, Police as GOP Poll Watchers on Election Day

Using former soldiers and law enforcement as poll watchers was banned in 1981 by a judicial consent decree imposed on the Republican Party, but that ban was lifted in 2018 when a New Jersey judge declined to renew it. The ban came explicitly in response to an effort by the Republican National Committee to intimidate voters in African American communities by creating a so-called Ballot Security Task Force, threatening arrest and a $1,000 fine for improper voting.

The Council for National Policy is straight up trying to turn the US into a fash theocracy so if you are not down with that, pay attention to what they do and who they back.
Conservatives will tell you it's simply a difference of political opinion but these are dangerous groups for the US and democratic values anywhere.

I am curious, why in USA almost everything from programs to verdicts has to be "renewed" all the time ? That is by law or that is just a matter of culture ? I mean that creates bureaucracy and constant uncertainty by definition.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I am curious, why in USA almost everything from programs to verdicts has to be "renewed" all the time ? That is by law or that is just a matter of culture ? I mean that creates bureaucracy and constant uncertainty by definition.

It's amazing isn't it? Everything in this country is now subject to the political winds. It's not suppose to be this way but the last say 25 years or so has been a sustained attack by the GOP and conservatives and virtually ignored by Dems and most liberals because they do not care and often benefit. Capitalism is one hell of a drug.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Enabling Act of 1933 - Wikipedia

The Enabling Act (German: Ermächtigungsgesetz) of 1933, formally titled Gesetz zur Behebung der Not von Volk und Reich ("Law to Remedy the Distress of People and Reich"),[1] was a law that gave the German Cabinet—in effect, the Chancellor—the power to enact laws without the involvement of the Reichstag, and to override fundamental aspects of the Weimar Constitution.[2] The Enabling Act gave Hitler plenary powers and followed on the heels of the Reichstag Fire Decree, which had abolished most civil liberties and transferred state powers to the Reich government. The combined effect of the two laws was to transform Hitler's government into a legal dictatorship.

The act passed in both the Reichstag and Reichsrat on 23 March 1933,[3][2][4] and was signed by President Paul von Hindenburg later that day. The act stated that it was to last four years unless renewed by the Reichstag, which occurred twice.

The law was enacted by the Reichstag (meeting at the Kroll Opera House), where non-Nazi members were surrounded and threatened by members of the SA and the SS. The Communists had already been repressed and were not allowed to be present or to vote, and some Social Democrats were kept away as well. In the end most of those present voted for the act, except for the Social Democrats, who voted against it.

:whistling:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oh, plenty of U.S. conservatives on this forum have been quite open about the fact that they think too many people are allowed to vote, and no, I'm not talking about undocumented immigrants. The most common ones I hear seem to be women and people under 30.

It's why I'm mystified when I remember that people thought Trump would destroy the Republican party. He just says what the majority of them actually believe, lol. Most Republicans aren't like the Ivy-league educated folks you see on MSNBC deploring the fact that Donald Trump doesn't represent "true conservatism." They're people primarily energized by cultural issues, which also explains why Trump's dislike of free trade is not a dealbreaker; free trade was never something they cared about. As for balanced budgets, that never actually meant balanced budgets. Republicans hate the only President in my lifetime that actually balanced the damn budget; it can't be any issue they actually care about except as a tool for enacting other parts of their agenda.

Also, it would be funny to watch what would happen if Biden lost the popular vote but won the electoral vote.

Lark

Oh, plenty of U.S. conservatives on this forum have been quite open about the fact that they think too many people are allowed to vote, and no, I'm not talking about undocumented immigrants. The most common ones I hear seem to be women and people under 30.

It's why I'm mystified when I remember that people thought Trump would destroy the Republican party. He just says what the majority of them actually believe, lol. Most Republicans aren't like the Ivy-league educated folks you see on MSNBC deploring the fact that Donald Trump doesn't represent "true conservatism." They're people primarily energized by cultural issues, which also explains why Trump's dislike of free trade is not a dealbreaker; free trade was never something they cared about. As for balanced budgets, that never actually meant balanced budgets. Republicans hate the only President in my lifetime that actually balanced the damn budget; it can't be any issue they actually care about except as a tool for enacting other parts of their agenda.

Also, it would be funny to watch what would happen if Biden lost the popular vote but won the electoral vote.

Conservatism is the same as anything else, there probably are 50 shades of it but Trump is something else, I think I remember him saying he could run for either party, it didnt matter and also that he's paid for the Clinton campaign and bank rolled politicians left and right.

Sometimes I wonder if Trump even cares about what he's saying at all or if its all a stunt, like the trash talking in the wrestling matches.

Like if you watch Home Alone or follow some of Trump's "career" in public life from a different time he comes across very differently, which makes me think that there is a real likelihood that politics is scripted just like any other sort of reality TV.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Conservatism is the same as anything else, there probably are 50 shades of it but Trump is something else, I think I remember him saying he could run for either party, it didnt matter and also that he's paid for the Clinton campaign and bank rolled politicians left and right.

Sometimes I wonder if Trump even cares about what he's saying at all or if its all a stunt, like the trash talking in the wrestling matches.

Like if you watch Home Alone or follow some of Trump's "career" in public life from a different time he comes across very differently, which makes me think that there is a real likelihood that politics is scripted just like any other sort of reality TV.

He’s a chaos man. He embraces whatever ideology that will most likely benefit his own self interests and help him keep the trump brand relevant

He’s chaotic evil which is kind of funny considering how he ran on a law and order platform

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sam Seder makes Cenk Uyger come across like Charlie Rose in comparison

Guy’s a rambling little bully who rarely rises above schoolyard level insults

Good voice actor though, enjoyed his work on Home Movies. Maybe he should stay out of politics and stick to improving his skills as a comedian

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=4347]Virtual ghost[/MENTION]

I thought you might be interested in a recent poll from Germany. It's a survey about how people are dealing with the current corona crises:

What is the greatest challenge Germany is facing? 53% of young people (18-25) say it's climate change. 50% of older people (45+) say it's corona. Across all generations 13% say it's refugees and 1% says it's terrorism.

Young people say they would be willing to sacrifice 30% of their income to combat corona, older people say they'd sacrifice 18%.

Hoarding seems to have diminished.

General satisfaction ith life seems to remain high across the board. (I also often look at an informal monitor by an online newspaper that asks its readers how they are feeling today and allows them to make up one-word-answers that, due to the possibilitie of the German language, can be whole sentences such as "annoyedbyMerkel"....well, recently the mood in the country seems to be positive and even better than usual, could be because of the lovely weather though)

80% trust the government in handling the crises and 86% support the measures taken. Even 2/3 of those who generally distrust and dislike the government support the measures. Those numbers have only gone down minially since the beginning of the lockdown.
That doesn't mean that people love Merkel or voted for any of the two parties of the govermentv coalition or would vote for them at the next election. But I think many people, like myself, tend to differentiate. I never voted for the CDU in my entire life and have no intention of ever doing so, yet I will gladly defend Merkel and the coalition government (impefect as they are). As much as I dislike Markus Söder (governor of Bavaria) and the CSU, I readily admit that he handled the stuation very well in Bavaria. I can agree with certain measures or positions even if I disagree with the ideology of the person taking them. Occasionally I can even like politicians as people even though they are in the "wrong" party.
In that regard the country seems to be divided into supporters of the AfD (distrustful of anything and anyone and generally against "the system") and the rest of the country which can still get together and agree on things despite their differences. Coalitions have a long tradition anyway, so by now even conservatives and socially liberal Greens governing together is not considered unusual. It is often said that trust is an enormous asset in a society, be it trust in one's fellow citizen/neighbor or trust in the scientific community and doctors or trust in the government acting in good faith. Social trust is of monumental importance and the basis of so many aspects of mental and physical health, economic prosperity and general wellbeing of the population. An errosion of social trust is a great danger for any developed country, I think. So it makes me optimistic to see that there is still so much of it left, at least in this part of the world.

Once again, this is not about agreeing with or supporting everything a government or a social elite does but about an assumption of good faith as default modus. After all, that is the basis of the social contract.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
[MENTION=4347]Virtual ghost[/MENTION]

I thought you might be interested in a recent poll from Germany. It's a survey about how people are dealing with the current corona crises:

What is the greatest challenge Germany is facing? 53% of young people (18-25) say it's climate change. 50% of older people (45+) say it's corona. Across all generations 13% say it's refugees and 1% says it's terrorism.

Young people say they would be willing to sacrifice 30% of their income to combat corona, older people say they'd sacrifice 18%.

Hoarding seems to have diminished.

General satisfaction ith life seems to remain high across the board. (I also often look at an informal monitor by an online newspaper that asks its readers how they are feeling today and allows them to make up one-word-answers that, due to the possibilitie of the German language, can be whole sentences such as "annoyedbyMerkel"....well, recently the mood in the country seems to be positive and even better than usual, could be because of the lovely weather though)

80% trust the government in handling the crises and 86% support the measures taken. Even 2/3 of those who generally distrust and dislike the government support the measures. Those numbers have only gone down minially since the beginning of the lockdown.
That doesn't mean that people love Merkel or voted for any of the two parties of the govermentv coalition or would vote for them at the next election. But I think many people, like myself, tend to differentiate. I never voted for the CDU in my entire life and have no intention of ever doing so, yet I will gladly defend Merkel and the coalition government (impefect as they are). As much as I dislike Markus Söder (governor of Bavaria) and the CSU, I readily admit that he handled the stuation very well in Bavaria. I can agree with certain measures or positions even if I disagree with the ideology of the person taking them. Occasionally I can even like politicians as people even though they are in the "wrong" party.
In that regard the country seems to be divided into supporters of the AfD (distrustful of anything and anyone and generally against "the system") and the rest of the country which can still get together and agree on things despite their differences. Coalitions have a long tradition anyway, so by now even conservatives and socially liberal Greens governing together is not considered unusual. It is often said that trust is an enormous asset in a society, be it trust in one's fellow citizen/neighbor or trust in the scientific community and doctors or trust in the government acting in good faith. Social trust is of monumental importance and the basis of so many aspects of mental and physical health, economic prosperity and general wellbeing of the population. An errosion of social trust is a great danger for any developed country, I think. So it makes me optimistic to see that there is still so much of it left, at least in this part of the world.

Once again, this is not about agreeing with or supporting everything a government or a social elite does but about an assumption of good faith as default modus. After all, that is the basis of the social contract.

Well in other thread I have said I am actually hopeful about the future since this indeed allows one new start under new and different paradigms. The world of tomorrow will simply require certain precision and logic and therefore this slap may really help us in the bigger picture. Since the cost of improvised all over the place solutions is becoming too high, even if we don't count the current pandemic. Therefore current situation will hopefully change some paradigms. For a long long time I haven't seen so many serious and focused decisions on my local level even if circumstances are bad at face value. However it finally looks that some things will change on more fundamental level. Since this situation requires one seriousness that was generally lacking.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
While the world is playing with the virus the process of melting out the Arctic is still under way and we are looking at another major melt year (perhaps even new record low at the end of melt season in September). The measurements have started in 1979 and out of all these years the 2020 is the second lowest for the April 17th. However it is gaining on 2019 that is the first.

But here is a concrete situation.
The ice pack is relatively small for this time of the year but what is worst is that it is full of cracks that are generally speeding up the movement and melt of the ice. What is then opening sea surface to the sunlight, which is much better at absorbing it's energy than ice surface. Overall this is more how the things should look in mid May in order to have any kind of "normal".

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
My blood pressure shot up for multiple reasons... :cry:

I think it's hilarious that Trump simply assumes a) no one on the left is armed and b) people don't simply laugh at him. Neither one of these is true.