• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Politics Thread

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Yeah, it seems that something should perhaps be done with that border. On stuff like that you can easily lose elections even if you do other stuff decently.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Yeah, it seems that something should perhaps be done with that border. On stuff like that you can easily lose elections even if you do other stuff decently.
I agree that certainly something should be done (should have been done decades ago), but my schadenfreude here comes from the fact that they voted for and wanted this. MYC is a sanctuary city. They all but hung a neon sign saying bring 'em here. But it would seem that bring 'em here only went so far as bring 'em to southern states so that they might improve our electoral outcomes nationally. Don't actually bring them here where I live. God forbid I should live with the consequences of my actions on my own doorstep.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Governor of NM just suspended concealed carry in Albuquerque.

1694229836035.png

1694229863910.png

Nothing bad can happen when states get to decide which laws to enforce and which to ignore right.... right?

xenaprincess

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree that certainly something should be done (should have been done decades ago), but my schadenfreude here comes from the fact that they voted for and wanted this. MYC is a sanctuary city. They all but hung a neon sign saying bring 'em here. But it would seem that bring 'em here only went so far as bring 'em to southern states so that they might improve our electoral outcomes nationally. Don't actually bring them here where I live. God forbid I should live with the consequences of my actions on my own doorstep.
I think it’s a matter of degree. It’s the difference between opening the door by an inch versus breaking down a wall. Plus NYC is already densely populated. They can’t even house New Yorkers.

I’m currently visiting Texas where there is actually open space (land) for housing. But the heat here is unimaginable and it’s only going to get worse. Plus there’s no public transport, so you’d wind up with a glut of people who can’t go anywhere. What’s the use of that.

I see this getting exponentially worse, like a swarm of ants trying cling to a toothpick. There is just way too many people and much too little space.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Speaking of the Border. Down Mexico way...

SensEye

MBTI Type
INTp
Kristi Noem is suddenly front and center in the veepstakes

This is the first time that I see some genuine and factual talk about Trump's VP for 2024.
Me too. I was starting to think it might be Rammy Whammy. Once he conveniently dropped out of the primary after any required vote splitting was accomplished. Although, it appears Trump doesn't need any help on that front.

Trying to recall what I know of Noem. I know she's not as far off the deep end as, say, Boebert, but she's a Trump sycophant, and that's bad enough.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Me too. I was starting to think it might be Rammy Whammy. Once he conveniently dropped out of the primary after any required vote splitting was accomplished. Although, it appears Trump doesn't need any help on that front.

Trying to recall what I know of Noem. I know she's not as far off the deep end as, say, Boebert, but she's a Trump sycophant, and that's bad enough.

“We also see a lot of Chinese individuals, business owners, and such, they want to keep their money out of the country—out of China, that is,” Larson said. “So they look at the US as a safe place to hold their money, but they also don’t want the Chinese government to know where the money is. So, they’re also doing it in trust in South Dakota because of the privacy laws that South Dakota has.”
So much for that "hard line on China" stance.

Policy, not personality. If more people would just pay the scantest of attention. Governance not entertainment and it isn't suppose to be exciting in any fashion.

Last edited:

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm

I really doubt it will be Rammy since that will cause too many clashes of egos at the top. Plus he isn't white and from what I understand his isn't a Christian either. This is politically incorrect to say but those two points are a problem if we consider where is most of the base at this point. While picking a recognized white woman is perhaps the best you can do at this point. Since white women are generally considered to be the biggest group of swing voters in the country. So Noem makes sense as choice. Don't get me wrong I am not a fan of any of those people, I am just saying why it would make sense from their perspective. Especially since Trump is getting pretty "thin" with female voters in general.

Rammy will probably get some lower position if he is "respectful" enough.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I really doubt it will be Rammy since that will cause too many clashes of egos at the top. Plus he isn't white and from what I understand his isn't a Christian either. This is politically incorrect to say but those two points are a problem if we consider where is most of the base at this point. While picking a recognized white woman is perhaps the best you can do at this point. Since white women are generally considered to be the biggest group of swing voters in the country. So Noem makes sense as choice. Don't get me wrong I am not a fan of any of those people, I am just saying why it would make sense from their perspective. Especially since Trump is getting pretty "thin" with female voters in general.

Rammy will probably get some lower position if he is "respectful" enough.
The GOP in general is going to continue to have problems with women. Until women are legally no longer a problem for them.

There is more but I don't feel like finding the links. They already did Roe so they'll start at local levels (county, state) until they have enough power to do it federally - end legal contraception, repeal no fault divorce and so on with the main goal of ending women's voting rights. I'll elaborate.

This psychopath lost his election (to a person I know well and she is a perfect Rep for this district). Fast forward a few months.

He was appointed by the newly elected, all GOP county commission to be the new COUNTY administrator.

Commissioners voted 6-3 to approve a resolution that fired John Shay as county administrator and appointed Gibbs to replace him effective immediately.
Now it's just an endless procession of this shit.

This is a place that's been teetering on the edge of extremism for some time. Now they have their fever dream of hopefully returning to the 19th century and maybe re-enslaving their commissioner. Which isn't going to happen because last I checked, Dems aren't talking about repealing the 13th amendment.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
The GOP in general is going to continue to have problems with women. Until women are legally no longer a problem for them.

There is more but I don't feel like finding the links. They already did Roe so they'll start at local levels (county, state) until they have enough power to do it federally - end legal contraception, repeal no fault divorce and so on with the main goal of ending women's voting rights. I'll elaborate.

This psychopath lost his election (to a person I know well and she is a perfect Rep for this district). Fast forward a few months.

He was appointed by the newly elected, all GOP county commission to be the new COUNTY administrator.

Now it's just an endless procession of this shit.

This is a place that's been teetering on the edge of extremism for some time. Now they have their fever dream of hopefully returning to the 19th century and maybe re-enslaving their commissioner. Which isn't going to happen because last I checked, Dems aren't talking about repealing the 13th amendment.

I know, but what I don't understand is how on Earth all of this makes the elections competitive. Currently on RCP average Biden leads only by 0.2 points and that basically means that he is losing electoral college. Since democrats need at least 3 point win in popular vote in order to have any realistic shoot at winning electoral college. In 2016 Clinton won popular vote by 2.1 points and lost the college. So with 0.2 you really need a decent polling mistake to actually win. Not to mention that such mistakes tend to favor Republicans. By RCP polling average Biden should have won 2020 by 7.2 points and in the end he won only by 4.5. What got him many of the swing states by less than a point.

I just don't understand how on Earth the race can still be competitive. I mean I do, but I don't really understand how is anyone actually buying it. If anything it is strange that all of this is not bringing more women to the polls. Since some of these new measure against them are over the line however you turn it.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I know, but what I don't understand is how on Earth all of this makes the elections competitive. Currently on RCP average Biden leads only by 0.2 points and that basically means that he is losing electoral college. Since democrats need at least 3 point win in popular vote in order to have any realistic shoot at winning electoral college. In 2016 Clinton won popular vote by 2.1 points and lost the college. So with 0.2 you really need a decent polling mistake to actually win. Not to mention that such mistakes tend to favor Republicans. By RCP polling average Biden should have won 2020 by 7.2 points and in the end he won only by 4.5. What got him many of the swing states by less than a point.

I just don't understand how on Earth the race can still be competitive. I mean I do, but I don't really understand how is anyone actually buying it. If anything it is strange that all of this is not bringing more women to the polls. Since some of these new measure against them are over the line however you turn it.
I can only guess that people simply don't pay attention until something catastrophic happen. Paying attention, unfortunately is kind of a luxury for many in US society and I don't mean that in a condescending way. Life here makes sure you work and try to function with little safety net or social reinforcements until you are dead or close to it for the benefit of politicians and corporations who are one in the same. I don't mean low wage workers either, I mean everyone who is not the owner class. That is how you have razor thin margins and very little voter turnout and for a lot of people, it's just not worth it, overall. But in more local elections women now turn out en mass. Just not sure why they didn't before.