• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Politics Thread

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm sure it was just a figure of speech....

Gov. Ron DeSantis, R-Fla., who is in a distant second place in most polling of the 2024 Republican presidential field, told supporters in New Hampshire he would slit the throats of federal bureaucrats on his first day in office. The governor has frequently used fiery rhetoric and has not shied away from high profile fights, but the comments were met with swift pushback.

“We’re going to have all these deep state people,” DeSantis said at a barbecue in Rye, N.H., when speaking about the federal bureaucracy, according to reporting from New Hampshire Public Radio. “We’re going to start slitting throats on day one.”

Conservatives have frequently accused the federal workforce—particularly during the Trump administration—of engaging in shadow operations to prevent the implementation of right-wing initiatives, often referring to those efforts as the “deep state.” DeSantis in particular has based the foundations of his campaign around the notion that government—and private corporations—have become too “woke,” and vowed to dismantle public institutions he sees as perpetuating those efforts.

I just remember times when this kind of thing would be the kiss of death to any political career. Just mind-blowing the stuff that is permitted and/or egged on nowadays.

The Cat

Offering FREE Monkey paws down at the Crossroads.
Staff member

I just remember times when this kind of thing would be the kiss of death to any political career. Just mind-blowing the stuff that is permitted and/or egged on nowadays.
I don't think its as much of a figure of speech as he wants us to think it is. Every head bobble is a death at his hands in the part of his mind where he is Homelander. He's been saying things with two messages in them. One thing for the masses to hear, and one thing for the true believers. He's one head of a bigger hydra. Even in this age of glorious light and information we sit poised at the dusk of a new long night, and this man sees himself a warlord within it. He only pretends to be a homeowners association hoping people wont see the hunger of leviathan twist beneath his surface. I know a hollow man when I see it. And Moff Tankin is most assuredly and exquisitely empty inside. I wonder who indeed holds his lease-leash? Pinocchio only thinks he's got no strings because he's not a real boy.

Pattern observation aside, Hollow men are only reflections of other hollow men. We're not where we think are. We're not who we think we are. And yet...here we are.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member

I would kill to go back to the days of normalcy when Howard Dean's yell was considered a grave political misstep.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
God were we ever so young and innocent?
In 2002 our minister of defense was fired 10 weeks before general elections because he had participated in a glossy magazine human interest story (which was considered in bad taste while there was a war going on in Kosovo) and accepted a nice designer suit and other treats from lobbyists.

In 1974 our chancellor (head of government) stepped back because it turned out one of his assistents resposible for inner-party affairs (not government affairs) had been giving (not very relevent or sensitive) information to East Germany.

During the last general election in 2021 the until then most likely candidate unexpectedly lost, the turning point is usually attributed to a moment when he smiled and chatted with the person next to him during a mourning ceremony for the victims of a natural desaster.

The Cat

Staff member
In 2002 our minister of defense was fired 10 weeks before general elections because he had participated in a glossy magazine human interest story (which was considered in bad taste while there was a war going on in Kosovo) and accepted a nice designer suit and other treats from lobbyists.

In 1974 our chancellor (head of government) stepped back because it turned out one of his assistents resposible for inner-party affairs (not government affairs) had been giving (not very relevent or sensitive) information to East Germany.

During the last general election in 2021 the until then most likely candidate unexpectedly lost, the turning point is usually attributed to a moment when he smiled and chatted with the person next to him during a mourning ceremony for the victims of a natural desaster.
There is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress. Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I would kill to go back to the days of normalcy when Howard Dean's yell was considered a grave political misstep.

God were we ever so young and innocent?
Maybe it's paranoid but I don't think it would have been reported so much if it was John Kerry. I think this is a good example of how the media likes to pick the winners and losers, seeing it as their responsibility to act as gatekeepers by saturating the news with non-stories like this which are nonetheless framed to make certain candidates look bad. When I see things like this repeated ad nauseum, it looks an awful lot to me like someone in the business of shaping opinions rather than reporting facts.

I was thinking a few days ago about how John Kerry probably would have made a terrible president if he had won. It would have been better than the alternative, but still pretty bad.

I still don't think Hillary ran a good campaign, but I think if she won there's a chance she might have surprised me like Biden. She does have a lot of drive and maybe that could have ended up being a really good thing. By contrast, I just remember John Kerry talking about how we need to do the same foreign policy but smarter. And there was a tossed off comment about getting all Americans on the Senate healthcare plan which made me think it never would have happened. But that's all I remember in terms of policy.

I also remember stumbling around making bipartisan overtures to John McCain. I think if he had won, any political advantage going in he would have conceded so we could "come together as a nation" (it wouldn't have worked, either).

Last edited:

The Cat

Staff member
Maybe it's paranoid but I don't think it would have been reported so much if it was John Kerry. I think this is a good example of how the media likes to pick the winners and losers, seeing it as their responsibility to act as gatekeepers by saturating the news with non-stories like this which are nonetheless framed to make certain candidates look bad.

I was thinking a few days ago about how John Kerry probably would have made a terrible president if he had won. It would have been better than the alternative, but still pretty bad.

I still don't think Hillary ran a good campaign, but I think there's a chance she might have surprised me like Biden. By contrast, I just remember John Kerry talking about how we need to do the same foreign policy but smarter. And there was a tossed off comment about getting all Americans on the Senate healthcare plan which made me think it never would have happened. He was already stumbling around making bipartisan overtures to John McCain. I think if he had won, any political advantage going in he would have conceded.
It is a bit paranoid. There is much noise. Many voices crying out some suddenly silenced but many many more clamour on an ever louder and more frantic. If there were an agenda things would make more sense. But as it stands there is merely enough noise to hear everything if you really listen. Its such a tempting fantasy to be able to foust all the ills of civilization upon a certain few, regardless of whomever they could be. The tragic fact of the matter is. That's just the nature of the machine. We are livestock that farms itself. There's more power in the single beat of a butterfly's wing than mankind is comfortable admitting. These moments in poltical time are only symbols for something uncanny, but ultimately inescapable. It's astounding. Time is fleeting. Madness takes its toll. But listen closely. Not for very much longer. We've got to keep control. But you'll remember, doing the time warp. Drinking those moments when. The darkness would take you, and the voices are calling. Are you ready to do the time warp again?

It's just a jump to the left.
And a step to the riiiiiight.​
Put your hands on your hips....
And tuck your knees in tight.
But it's the pelvic thrust, that really drives you insaaaaaaaane.​
giphy.gif

Let's do the time warp again!​

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think when you have a presidential contest between a Dork and a Cool Guy, the dork always win. I think this probably tracks back to 1980. 1988 is a little hard to explain with this because the elder Bush was definitely a dork, which was why he lost to Cool Guy Bill Clinton, but I think in the case of Dukakis it was that Dukakis was the bigger dork. Bush Jr. was a Cool Guy, beat the Dorks Al Gore and John Kerry. Barack Obama is a Cool Guy, McCain and Romney were dorks. Trump is a Cool Guy (he has a TV show and lots of weird little cameos in movies). Hillary Clinton was a Dork. 2020 is hard to figure out, because I'm not sure what Joe Biden is. Maybe Covid just messes everything up here.

I know this is a really dumb theory, but it's surprising how consistent it seems to be.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I think when you have a presidential contest between a Dork and a Cool Guy, the dork always win. I think this probably tracks back to 1980. 1988 is a little hard to explain with this because the elder Bush was definitely a dork, which was why he lost to Cool Guy Bill Clinton, but I think in the case of Dukakis it was that Dukakis was the bigger dork. Bush Jr. was a Cool Guy, beat the Dorks Al Gore and John Kerry. Barack Obama is a Cool Guy, McCain and Romney were dorks. Trump is a Cool Guy (he has a TV show and lots of weird little cameos in movies). Hillary Clinton was a Dork. 2020 is hard to figure out, because I'm not sure what Joe Biden is. Maybe Covid just messes everything up here.

I know this is a really dumb theory, but it's surprising how consistent it seems to be.
I think it makes sense - it goes to show that it's much more about name recognition/popularity than any real ability or qualifications to do the job.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Lol.... all that bootlicking by Pence got him virtually nowhere, and he's being crushed under the shadow of a man he secrety views as morally repugnant.

Maybe that's the definition of hell for him.

The Cat

Staff member
Lol.... all that bootlicking by Pence got him virtually nowhere, and he's being crushed under the shadow of a man he secrety views as morally repugnant.

Maybe that's the definition of hell for him.
I wonder what role "Mother" plays in hell for him.

The Cat

Staff member
Travis King: North Korea confirms custody of US soldier

Crossing into North Korea to avoided being Court marshaled for an assault crime committed while stationed in South Korea? View attachment 29140
this kid took his issues from a demotion and some time in the brig, to something he could technically forfeit his life for. Failure to go, desertion, AWOL, and delivering himself into the hands of a potential enemy. This is the wrong kind of army famous. If he ends up in Levinworth, he's gonna have a bad time. Imagine mixing prison with basic training.